Melbourne Football

Matildas

malloy

Another win, this time over South Korea.  3 wins from 3 games places us in the box seat to qualify,  Amazingly, hosts and highest rank team Japan are already out of the running, having drawn 1 and lost 2.

Currently all teams have have played 3 games.  We lead on 9 points, China have 7 and North Korea are third on 5.  We still have those 2 to play.   A draw over North Korea would be enough to qualify.

Edited by Shahanga
clarification

17 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Another win, this time over South Korea.  3 wins from 3 games places us in the box seat to qualify,  Amazingly, hosts and highest rank team Japan are already out of the running, having drawn 1 and lost 2.

Currently all teams have have played 3 games.  We lead on 9 points, China have 7 and North Korea are third on 5.  We still have those 2 to play.   A draw over North Korea would be enough to qualify.

I have a feeling they will probably win both of those given all the momentum. What an achievement that would be.

Well from what I've seen of the first half, this game is no place for the faint hearted. Tougher and more physical than any A League game, with the ref very happy to let all but the most vicious stuff go.

TBH it's working too. North Korea are starting to dominate, with a number of chances and we can't string 2 passes together.

Still, we are in front, somehow.

Edited by Shahanga
English

• 2 months later...
By Andy Silver
Published on May. 26, 2016

Former Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Bosnich certainly didn’t hold back in his comments about the Matildas’ loss to a youth side this week.

MORE: Matildas smashed 7-0 by U15 side 

The Australian women’s soccer team crumbled to a 7-0 defeat to the Newcastle Jets U-15 side, which also included 16 and 17 year olds, according to a reliable football source.

Bosnich, speaking on the Triple M Rush Hour, didn’t mince his words.

“We’re talking about the number five team in the world,” Bozza said.

“I am all for equality. I’m all for equality across the board, as long as it’s down to a meritocracy, i.e., if you produce like the next man or the next woman produces, you get paid the same.

“The Matildas, the next time they say they want to get paid like the Socceroos, I’d be bringing this up.

“If it was the other way around – if it was the Socceroos getting beat and the Matildas were absolutely flying – I’d be saying to the Socceroos the exact same thing.

“If the boot was on the other foot I’d be saying the same thing. Because every time I watch them for the next three months, I’m just gonna think 7-0.”

REKT

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

how did they get so shit so quickly? struggled to beat new zealand in the first friendly and drew the 2nd a couple months ago, somehow lose to canada this morning 2-0 even though we had an extra player for like 70 mins

Yes that's a really bad loss & like you say form has been poor, so it might be a short visit to Rio.

Maybe that pay dispute has split the team?

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Man was watching fully invested. Well on top in the second half but last 10 got wobbly and conceding that late one from an unnecessary free really deflating 

Agree with all that.

2 players fouling someone with back to goal on the line 30m out? Terrible option.

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agree with all that.

2 players fouling someone with back to goal on the line 30m out? Terrible option.

These little things/errors cost you games. Add copping one just after you score,  these mental lapses will determine the medals.

Anyway we didn't create enough to deserve to win.  Frustrating to get a free in good position with a few minutes to go and watching us (Kennedy?) knock it harmlessly miles over the bar instead of having someone like Gorry whipping it in for a header (we were clearly much better in the air than Brazil) for the likes of Kennedy, Alleway etc. 

21 hours ago, M13 said:

Pens are a lottery.. Just unlucky this time

so true.  

Still its disappointing to see a ref at a major international tournament not acting on blatant rule violations in a shoot out.  Shows that officialdom in the women's game has a long way to go I guess.   

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

so true.  

Still its disappointing to see a ref at a major international tournament not acting on blatant rule violations in a shoot out.  Shows that officialdom in the women's game has a long way to go I guess.   

It happened in the Euros too so its not isolated to 'the women's game'.

That being said, and without having seen the shootout, I thought it was OK to come off the line once contact had been made (though definitely not before). Or am I just wrong?

Edited by malloy