Melbourne Football

Matildas

malloy

obviously shattered with the result, but Japan 100% deserved to win IMO. This women's world cup has shown me that generally international female football teams are not very clinical and it takes a lot of chances to score.

Prior to the corner goal Japan should have taken the lead minutes earlier with some sloppy play from the obviously knackered Matildas.

That said, very proud of the girls and looking forward to seeing them in action at the 2016 olympics

Girls dis us proud but what's with that silly rule where if you wish to be selected for the Matilda's you must play in the W-league to be eligible? Play overseas and no country call uo for you. WTF FFA??

Do we seriously have that criteria? I heard U.S. have a similar thing, ridiculous

Girls dis us proud but what's with that silly rule where if you wish to be selected for the Matilda's you must play in the W-league to be eligible? Play overseas and no country call uo for you. WTF FFA??

Do we seriously have that criteria? I heard U.S. have a similar thing, ridiculous

But how many Australian players who would otherwise be in the Matildas are actually affected by that rule - if it exists?

But how many Australian players who would otherwise be in the Matildas are actually affected by that rule - if it exists?

There are already couple offers. And now that the tournament is over for the Matilda's surely a couple more offers will be put on the table.

There are already couple offers. And now that the tournament is over for the Matilda's surely a couple more offers will be put on the table.

Who was not in the Matilda's squad for the WC who should have been, but for this supposed rule?

The W League only goes for 12 weeks, so you can (and most do) play elsewhere too.

i don't know of any rule, but there is a lot I don't know.

primarily I thought we lost this game because we had no quality to bring on from the bench. This is a depth issue, but perhaps the coach could have started a work horse ahead of One of De Vanna, Gorie or Simon and then had some quality to bring on when Nippon was tiring.

• 2 months later...

players shouldn't even get paid for playing for their country, play because you want to

should obviously be given free travel,accom and meals + kits etc

I understand where you are coming from (and in concept i agree with you, that the honour of wearing the shirt should be reward enough, however):

• from the matilda's point of view, they are away for long periods and can't work during that time of course, so in effect under your scheme only those that are supported by family or are wealthy, could afford to play
  • In regards to the socceroos, they would no doubt argue that their playing was assisting the FFA make money, why shouldn't they get well paid if everyone else is coining it, when they are the performers.
  • Like 1

Isn't it an honour and a privilege to represent your country? And to my knowledge it is not compulsory. I would have assumed that the Matildas, being only semi-professional, would have had any wages they miss (from their non-football employment) made up by FFA, plus of course all their expenses. The men's team are all full-time professionals, more than adequately paid by their clubs, so I don't see why they should receive any additional payment for playing for the national team. And refusing to sign autographs for kids is just plain petty.

Sometimes I think these sports people are a bit up themselves. The average person representing their employer on training courses, at conferences, visiting other locations at home or overseas sometimes for weeks away from home at a time, gets their expenses paid of course, but normal salary/wages otherwise. It's "part of the job."

• Like 1

How much money can you demand when nobody watches their games on tv or attends ? 

actually you have a fair point.

apparently they used to get 150//day + 500/game & have been offered more. Given they seem to be a loss making entity this seems not unreasonable.

it is appalling that they are going on strike instead of touring the U.S.

• Like 1

it is appalling that they are going on strike instead of touring the U.S.

Indeed, this is a sad day for Women's Football in this country. In truth there's not a lot of interest in it anyway, and I can't see this action helping the women's football cause in any way whatsoever. I don't admire the way Lowy and Co. run FFA, but with all the other issues it has to deal with I wouldn't worry if it pulled the plug on the women's game altogether.

Poor show.

Indeed, this is a sad day for Women's Football in this country. In truth there's not a lot of interest in it anyway, and I can't see this action helping the women's football cause in any way whatsoever. I don't admire the way Lowy and Co. run FFA, but with all the other issues it has to deal with I wouldn't worry if it pulled the plug on the women's game altogether.

Poor show.

It's what happens when you let moronic unions dictate money when the clearly have no concept of how it works. PFA are a joke.

I wonder why the women's game thinks it's a good idea to align itself with the PFA and whether it would be better to stand alone in terms of agreements with FFA?

I'd suggest its pure pulling power although aligning yourself with the people whose money you are trying to take does seem like a surefire way to backfire.

• 3 months later...

Olympic qualifiers for the girls coming up at end of Feb. Going to be very tough for the Matildas with only 2 spots available for Asia, so we must fight it out with (nation, rank):Japan, 4th; North Korea 6th; China 17th; South Korea 18th; Vietnam ?

As the 9th ranked nation in the world we are therefore slight outsiders to qualify.

An advantage of such a tough group though is that all teams will drop points and the situation between the other big 4 will mean that none will want to lose to the others, so there will be no cheap points.

Japan are at home , so you would have to think the rest of us are fighting for 2nd?

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Ugh, this female commentator is an absolute buzzkill ffs. No need to explain everything in the game every two minutes like we are watching for the first time

She's a tard. That's why. Melissa, keeper for the victree. 

Edited by n i k o