Melbourne Football

Who's gonna be the captain?

kingofhearts

Just now, GreenSeater said:

So now that Captain Kisnorbo is retired, we're going to have a new captain for 2016/17. Tommy Sorenson is probably a lock, and rightly so, but does anyone have any other thoughts?

The last two years our prominent leaders have been Paddy, Sorenson, Paartalu and to a lesser extent Koren. With three of those gone I can't see anyone other than Sorenson unless we've got someone else coming in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The last two years our prominent leaders have been Paddy, Sorenson, Paartalu and to a lesser extent Koren. With three of those gone I can't see anyone other than Sorenson unless we've got someone else coming in. 

Cahill?? Just playing devils advocate but he has captained the NT has he not. Still think the big dane should do it.

Just now, GreenSeater said:

Is Bruno worth a shout?

Wouldn't think so from what I've seen during training/games etc. and my personal opinion is I would hope not. Not that he wouldn't lead by example in his play or his attitude. With Bruno I believe the only responsibility he should have is to score goals. 

1 minute ago, HeartOfCity said:

Cahill?? Just playing devils advocate but he has captained the NT has he not. Still think the big dane should do it.

Potentially. Depends what role he will play in the team and how often he will play. Sorenson is a garuntee to be playing the 90 every game. He also assumes the leadership role naturally and is capable of dealing with big personalities. 

Looking down the list so far, no-one stands out. Don't like GKs as captains myself - IMO they're too far from the action to be effective. However, most of the rest of the squad have been here only five minutes, so it looks to me a choice between Sorensen, Franjic or perhaps Malik.

Edited by jw1739

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Looking down the list so far, no-one stands out. Don't like GKs as captains myself - IMO they're too far from the action to be effective. However, most of the rest of the squad have been here only five minutes, so it looks to me a choice between Sorensen, Franjic or perhaps Malik.

I was thinking about adding that to my reply, I agree. Someone in the defence or a midfielder in the thick of it I think is always best. So far nothing has shown me that Franjic or Malik should be captains but I guess we'll see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Sorensen I would say should be number one but there was a few rumours of issues between him and JVS so that my preclude him.

Tim would want it to feed the ego.

Bruno doesn't speak English so no go.

Maybe Brattan?

Other than that no stand out candidates.

If it isn't Sorensen I fear Cahill may get it simply because he's Cahill.

That and we don't seem to have many other outstanding leaders (a problem which requires addressing) outside of, like you said, the non-English speaking Bruno.

1 minute ago, Embee said:

If it isn't Sorensen I fear Cahill may get it simply because he's Cahill.

That and we don't seem to have many other outstanding leaders (a problem which requires addressing) outside of, like you said, the non-English speaking Bruno.

I really don't think the club captain should be either a loan or a guest player.

This debate really highlights the turnover we've seen from the beginning of last season.

Just now, jw1739 said:

I really don't think the club captain should be either a loan or a guest player.

This debate really highlights the turnover we've seen from the beginning of last season.

I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

It was still an issue before the turnover last season in my opinion. Outside of Paddy and Tommy we didn't have a lot of strong leaders in the side. Koren had 'captain credentials' but had seemingly thrown in the towel at that point, Hughes was also someone you'd have expected to be an on-field leader but he was basically broken. We've obviously still got some recruiting to do, so hopefully one or more of the guys to come in have decent leadership qualities.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Fair point on loan or guests. Also my problem with Cahill is that he's not only new to the club, he's new to the league. Can't come straight on as skipper surely.

Agree about turnover too, it's horrendous.

23 hours ago, Falastur said:

It's pretty rare to make a striker a captain. The captain's role isn't just to be loud and to approach the referee in place of the team, it's to keep the group organised and focused too. That job is hard to fill when you have you play most of the game 20 metres the opposite side of the ball from the rest of your teammates and not really involved in any defensive manoeuvres. You need to know what the shape of the team and what it should be at any one moment and yell at anyone who needs it to get back in position, as well as to know when to bring them together and when to space them out - the captain, when he's doing his job well - can be more of an influence than the manager, at least in the sense that the manager has already played his hand for the game and his shouting from the touchline doesn't tend to directly control the team as much as the captain should be. All of these things don't usually square with the positioning and responsibilities (and, often, the entirely standard trait of extreme self-centredness) of someone who is playing up top.

The locker room plays a big hand in this. Has to be a presence on and off the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But that's exactly why Tommy shouldn't get it, why would you give the captaincy to someone you know won't be playing for us next season?

...because you give it to the player who is best equipped to do the job for the season coming up, not the next one. Probably why Kisnorbo remained captain last year even though we all knew it would be his last.

Sure it would be nice to groom captains for the future, but given the way this league is, I just don't know what sort of loyalty or long term commitment you can get from players here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

But that's exactly why Tommy shouldn't get it, why would you give the captaincy to someone you know won't be playing for us next season?

Don't think the likelihood of retirement should mean a player should not be captain, but even if he does retire IMO he will remain with CFG in some capacity or other.