Melbourne Football

Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call it

MaliMate

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like me when I'm drunk while playing darts and start telling people I would be better than Michael Van Gerwen if I trained 6 hours a day.

Personally it reminds me of when they put a mic on Willy Mason last season when he was playing a game for the Knights and he kept saying at every Conversion Attempt during the game how he kicks 9/10 at training every time. 

What races will everyone be attending this Spring? I'm thinking Cox & Derby.

Well I will be going to every Saturday from here on and this particular Saturday is going to be a good day seeing as they have moved the Rupert Clarke and Underwood on to the same day plus the Guineas Preludes are always fun.

I will def not be missing the Cox again like last year (Because of the Derby) and I will be going to the Guineas and Caulfield Cup as I get free access to the Young Members as Full Member... FWIW the Caulfield Cup will be my largest day.

I will def be going to Stakes Day (Which I may buy some guest Member passes for as well) and I have Thursdays off currently so probably The Oaks but last year the crowd was poor... not that it matters much but it can get a bit boring due to the rest of the card not being much chop and more importantly the interstate meetings on interstate being Maidens in the Bush.

It sounds stupid considering how much more I pay to be a Member there than the other two but Flemington can often give me the shits due to the size of the place and how its large amount of Members leads to both overcrowding and a few dickheads creeping through the door. Also I wont post it again but with the moving of the 1000 Guineas on to the same day its pretty easy to make the argument that Guineas Days is a much better day of racing than Derby Day now anyway.

You sound like me when I'm drunk while playing darts and start telling people I would be better than Michael Van Gerwen if I trained 6 hours a day.

Had another multi last night and got 3/4, plus had a $50 single on AC Milan that won (LOL @ $2.40 odds). So 4/5 last night and 3 of those were $2+ odds (including the one that lost).

Seriously I estimate that i've got a 66-75% strike rate on soccer matches recently, and it's not like i'm betting on $1.30 shit much. Average odds is probably $1.70, would only need 60% to be profitable at $1.70 average odds.

Maybe I'm just enjoying a good run, idk but it's been going really good pretty much since the start of the season. I definitely wasn't this good on soccer previously so maybe it is just a good run.

Might be because it's the start of the season and so my focus on form is probably more profitable at this stage as everyone else is still looking at the reputation of the team or the quality of the players etc and aren't clued on to how good teams are this season yet. I dont really know.

Edited by Tesla

What races will everyone be attending this Spring? I'm thinking Cox & Derby.

Probably stakes day as usual. Was keen on hitting The Melbourne Cup but couldnt get any tickets apart from GA which dont think would work very well with my 73 old dad

I wanna spend a day out at Yarra Valley racecourse this summer as well, reckon it would be a mint day out with the little one. 

Edited by hedaik

Probably stakes day as usual. Was keen on hitting The Melbourne Cup but couldnt get any tickets apart from GA which dont think would work very well with my 73 old dad

I wanna spend a day out at Yarra Valley racecourse this summer as well, reckon it would be a mint day out with the little one. 

What about Ballarat Cup with BT50?

Already got my Yellow Jacket, Black Shirt, Red Tie and Quicksilver Boardies ready to go for the big day.

I also already have my tips for each race... all of which are trained by Darren Weir.

Where does it rank compared to the Broome Cup?

Laugh all you want, The Ballarat Cup is coming into the Spring Carnival like a duck to water

I might be half interested in going if you are

I really need to attend some races TBH for someone that gambles and posts so much in this thread.

What's one of the cheaper group 1s to go to? I'm guessing one that isn't at Flemington?

Well this weekend there are two Group One's at Caulfield that I mentioned earlier today and then next Saturday one in the Turnbull Stakes at Flemington both of these will be significantly cheaper... mind you the crowds won't really be Spring Carnival Party Atmosphere if that's what you want to experience.

The actual Spring Racing Atmosphere starts on Guineas Day which is the cheapest day and which IMO is the best day of racing in Victoria from anyone who understands racing as it now has four G1's that mean something but as for Spring Atmosphere I would say it probably it gets there but only reaches a G2 level.

Caulfield Cup day Atmosphere is def full on G1 but a far bit more expensive and the Plate due to the Racecourse's size is as expensive (Maybe even more) and reaches almost the same level but is not as nice a racecourse as the other two in and ESP out of Members because the Clubs wants to knock down the Grandstand and build one on the other side of the track. However it is the Australian WFA Championship.

All of the days at Flemington are the most expensive and the popularity of each day kind of comes in and out of fashion and the club's also tinkers with the quality of each the meets and prices of things to alter the crowds. The big crowds started really pilling in the early 2000's when they didn't cap the crowds at 100,000 and TBH Racing was more fashionable then really suited the trends of the time of the Metro-sexual and girls trying to dress like Paris Hilton. (Lets face it Racing is harder to sell to Hipsters.)

Obviously Cup Day was always the busiest however the bogans kind of caught on to Derby Day being the Purist Day and when it got the point that 150,000 PPL or something tried to get in on Derby Day and only 120,000 on Cup Day they decided to bring in cap for the whole Carnival of only 100,000 allowed in each day and make the Derby as expensive as Cup Day and they also made it a day Non Restricted Members could not enter the Members Enclosure.

Since then Derby Day has remained the biggest day in terms of Atmosphere and still the richest day in Victoria in terms of racing however the quality of the racing has been tinkered with to try get the crowds to shift towards other days in particular Stakes Day as they make the most of their money through tents and corporate events.

They moved the VRC Carnivals WFA Sprint to Stakes Day and replaced with a much more boring 3YO G1 Sprint and another of the four G1's is a Mares Race (Always Has Pretty Boring) and the other two races in the Mckinnon Stakes and the Derby itself have increasingly lost there prestige. This is because the Cup horses never run in the Mckinnon for a warm up anymore like when I was a teenager and most good 3YOs get spelled rather than tackling the Derby cos its too far for that stage of their career and is known as career destroyer nowadays.

Oaks Day is a weird one as it came from nowhere spiked in the Mid 2000's with a crowd of like 100,000 even through it was on a workday and the worse day of racing but it has since been dropping in profile ever since to the point that gate entry has been lowered and they need to improve the racecard because last year it was dead and no wonder with only G1 which usually creates horses you see once more in a G1 in the Oaks in NSW.

Stakes Day has been the steady improver over the past ten years I am guessing its probably the same price as the Oaks now as compared to the mid 2000's when it was a bit cheaper. It used to be a non event and billed as Family Day and get 30,000 at the end of the 90's but now it gets up to 70,000 and has a much improved race card as the previously mentioned WFA Sprint means it now has two G1's. One bad side effect has been however that the "Family Day" thing has kind been replaced by a "Drunk High Schooler Theme"

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Hediak I have never been to Broome or the Broome Cup but I am sure the Broome Cup is worse because anything Rural Bogan in WA of course usually outranks anything Rural Bogan in Victoria.

However IMO the title of Supreme Royal Bogan sadly resides not in Australia but in New Zealand so I imagine a Country Cup there would be the best places to view a Rural Bogan Country Cup Atmosphere.

Also well I am at it anyone here know why in NZ there Gates in the Gallops dont have a roof? Is it because of Animal Protectionists saying they hurt horses?

Edited by cadete

okay guys I'm going to try provide some tips for the midweek games, this most likely means that they will go to shit now that I'm making them public but:

Capria vs Napoli - Napoli in incredible form last 2 games, not too sure about $1.50 away from home but I like them for in a multi

Chievo vs Torino - stay away from this one for a multi, hard to pick it, but Chievo at home at $2.80 odds is quite tempting for a single TBH

Fiorentina vs Bologna - $1.50 odds, should be more like $1.30, fairly safe bet, chuck it in the multi

Lazio vs Genoa - Probably stay away from this, I guess Lazio are rightfully the favourite at home but not interested for $1.70. Would like $2+ to back them TBH. Worst game of the night to pick a winner if you ask me.

Inter vs Hellas Verona - Inter pretty confident and will put them in a muilti but $1.35ish is fairly low odds and Hellas Verona have an ability to get draws so don't put too much on it.

Sampdoria Roma - Roma probably rightfully favourites but I wouldn't back them at $1.80 here TBH, at $4.50 Sampdoria is a nice outside chance, and the draw is worth looking at at $3.60.

Juventus vs Frosinone - The odds speak for themselves here, $1.15 for Juve. They should win but odds too low. I'd only chuck them in a multi just to get to 4 legs so I can exploit the refund if you get 3/4 legs right offers from WH and sportsbet.

Palermo vs Sassulo - Another that's hard to pick and probably worth staying away from but I really don't mind Sassuolo at $3.50 here. Very tempting for a bit of an outside chance.

So overall pretty shit set of fixtures, no $2.x odds chances I'd be confident backing. Napoli, Fiorentina, Inter a decent easy multi, chuck in Juve to get to 4 legs so you can exploit the WH or sporsbet offer, I think there is very little chance you'd lose your money since at least 3  will get up, and a good chance of winning money here as I can definitely see all 4 getting up.

Spain

I really like Real Madrid at $1.70. It's rare to see $1.70 odds for Real Madrid, yes they are away from home, and against a decent team, but I can't see anything but Real winning

Also $1.45 decent odds for Barca but I dunno, you might want a bit more.

Will probably end up betting Napoli, Fiorentina, Inter, Real Madrid and I'd be very confident in that $5 multi. Can use the WH offer on this, chuck $50 on it. If 4 legs get up, $250, if 3 legs get up, $50 back, if less legs get up, the world has ended so you're fucked anyway. If you want to bet at sportsbet (their multi offer doesnt include Spain), do the Serie A one I mentioned above, so Juve in for Real.

Probably do a few small singles but not too confident, Chievo at $2.80, and Sasullo at $3.50. Will also put a bigger single bet on Real and maybe Fiorentina as i'm quite confident in Fiorentina at $1.50 odds it's my lock of the week TBH.

K1S46Qa.png

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Didn't realise there was a good set of bundesliga fixtures as well, thought it was pretty much done last night.

Leverkusen vs Mainz - Leverkusen should win but $1.45 not enough for me to bet on them given how many games they've lost (granted 2 of them were against Bayern and Dortmund, but still would like more than $1.45)

Hoffenheim vs Dortmund - I cant think of many occasions where I would bet on an away team at $1.35 but this is probably it. About as safe an away bet as you'll get in a top tier European domestic league, apart from maybe some Real and Barca games. Nice one for the multi.

Hannover vs Stuttgart - No thanks.

Schalke vs Eintracht - was happy to bet Schalke away from home last time at like $2.90 or w/e and quite confident, but at home this week a much tougher opponent and I'm not taking them at $1.80. Wouldn't mind the draw or the away team here at $4 each TBH but I won't be placing any bets.

Gladbach vs Augsburg - I wouldnt mind a few $$$ on Augsburg here at $3.50. Obviously a bit of a longshot but worth it at $3.50 I think. Will place a small single.

Ended up doing fiorentina, inter, real, napoli and then another fiorentina, inter, barca, dortmund

No need for single on fiorentina when got it in 2 multis.

Small singles on Chievo and Sassulo and Augsburg. bigger one on Real.

I don't recommend others put thesame teams in two multis, that was probably a mistake especially in Italy, I'm fucked if either inter or fiorentina draw. 

Edited by Tesla

About as shit a night as I'll get with 3/4 and a refund on one multi and 2/4 and a loss on the other. 

But cleaned up on those singles to end the night on a decent profit. Cheers Chievo and Sassulo for the big odds wins and some decent money off Real too. 

Knew I couldn't trust Barca but got keen when I saw 1.50 odds for Barca which is rare (even away from home).

Good call on leaving Juve alone,not backable at 1.15 odds and they dun goofed. 

Edited by Tesla

About as shit a night as I'll get with 3/4 and a refund on one multi and 2/4 and a loss on the other. 

But cleaned up on those singles to end the night on a decent profit. Cheers Chievo and Sassulo for the big odds wins and some decent money off Real too. 

Knew I couldn't trust Barca but got keen when I saw 1.50 odds for Barca which is rare (even away from home).

Good call on leaving Juve alone,not backable at 1.15 odds and they dun goofed. 

still waiting on a WH refund for a multi I did. Did you have yours paid out yet?

still waiting on a WH refund for a multi I did. Did you have yours paid out yet?

Nah they're a bit slow sometimes, didn't get it until 3:44pm yesterday.

Anyone doing the Ladbrokes 'cash in' promo? Bit more effort than a regular promo but I probably still will. Basically you get double winnings on the sir rupert clarke stakes if you use their 'cash in' thing which is where you deposit into your ladbrokes account at a newsagent.

Edited by Tesla

Nah they're a bit slow sometimes, didn't get it until 3:44pm yesterday.

Anyone doing the Ladbrokes 'cash in' promo? Bit more effort than a regular promo but I probably still will. Basically you get double winnings on the sir rupert clarke stakes if you use their 'cash in' thing which is where you deposit into your ladbrokes account at a newsagent.

Tempted as the favourite should win that race and it is only paying $3.80... generally the best horse wins WFA races it's basicly why they exist so the PPL's Champions get to win.

Edited by cadete

Tempted as the favourite should win that race and it is only paying $3.80... generally the best horse wins WFA races it's basicly why they exist so the PPL's Champions get to win.

If anyone else is interested, I called to check if my understanding is correct, that I only need to deposit the $10 minimum via 'cash in' and can still have a bet upto $50 eligible for double winnings (using existing balance), and the bloke on the phone agreed that his understanding of the promo is the same (I would have liked a more concrete answer but w/e).

Side note, i really wish ladbrokes had live chat support like everyone else because I cbf calling (even though it's probably quicker). 

If anyone else is interested, I called to check if my understanding is correct, that I only need to deposit the $10 minimum via 'cash in' and can still have a bet upto $50 eligible for double winnings (using existing balance), and the bloke on the phone agreed that his understanding of the promo is the same (I would have liked a more concrete answer but w/e).

Side note, i really wish ladbrokes had live chat support like everyone else because I cbf calling (even though it's probably quicker). 

I was going to do the cash in on the way home, so you are saying all I need to deposit is $10 for a $50 dollar bet?

FWIW I found some old promotional bets of up to $31 so I have chucked them on Contributor in the Underwood and I am then going to use the money back promotion to chuck another $50 as well. He was never going to do much over 1500m at the Valley and he has the ability to catch Fawkner at Caulfield if the pace is alright and his ridden well.

No what I meant was I already have 150 in my Ladbrokes account so I don't have any reason to deposit anymore except to fulfil the terms and conditions of the promotion which is to do a minimum $10 newsagent deposit. But even if I only deposit 10 I can still bet up to 50 on the race and get the double odds, but I still need to put down $50 of course if I want to bet $50.

So basically if you have no money in your Ladbrokes account just ignore what I've said and deposit however much you need via the newsagent, what I'm saying is just for people that already have money in their account and only want to deposit to meet the terms and conditions of the promo. 

No what I meant was I already have 150 in my Ladbrokes account so I don't have any reason to deposit anymore except to fulfil the terms and conditions of the promotion which is to do a minimum $10 newsagent deposit. But even if I only deposit 10 I can still bet up to 50 on the race and get the double odds, but I still need to put down $50 of course if I want to bet $50.

So basically if you have no money in your Ladbrokes account just ignore what I've said and deposit however much you need via the newsagent, what I'm saying is just for people that already have money in their account and only want to deposit to meet the terms and conditions of the promo. 

Okay got it...

It is going to be Sunny and 20 degrees so hopefully a good if both Contributor and Disposition (Gotta love a WA horse from my days as an Ascot Member) both get up and I leave a happy man.

I did it, it's an ok idea but I cant see myself using that deposit method much without a promotion. You select how much you want to deposit on the ladbrokes website/app on your phone, it generates a QR code, they scan it at the newsagent and then you pay. The shit thing is I had to go a bit out of my way (not far geographically, just somewhere I had no reason to go to) to get to an eligible newsagent, even though I pass through some areas which I would consider to be prime targets if you want some fucking degenerate gamblers betting with you but whatever.

Also i'm considering this, not bad since I extremely rarely bet with TAB (and obviously only on sport):

TAB Rewards members can receive free entry to Flemington on the 4th of October for the Turnbull Stakes meeting simply by scanning their card at the gate.

Edited by Tesla

I did it, it's an ok idea but I cant see myself using that deposit method much without a promotion. You select how much you want to deposit on the ladbrokes website/app on your phone, it generates a QR code, they scan it at the newsagent and then you pay. The shit thing is I had to go a bit out of my way (not far geographically, just somewhere I had no reason to go to) to get to an eligible newsagent, even though I pass through some areas which I would consider to be prime targets if you want some fucking degenerate gamblers betting with you but whatever.

Also i'm considering this, not bad since I extremely rarely bet with TAB (and obviously only on sport):

TAB Rewards members can receive free entry to Flemington on the 4th of October for the Turnbull Stakes meeting simply by scanning their card at the gate.

Yeah, I did it as well... like you said I would only do it for a promotion but there is an outlet at mine and 1997's favourite Shopping Mall in Northcote Plaza which has an ATM for my bank so pretty fucken easy for me to get double odds on the way home from work.

Did a bit of backing both teams tonight
Hawks and freo with standard $2 ladbrokes promo
broncos and roosters $2.50 special price ladbrokes promo with money back if team loses by 6 or less
hawks and freo in play bets on william hill, 5 minute freeze kept freo at 2.20 and live score had hawks at 2.10 so will profit something but if losing team gets the last point money back

Laid my two much larger bets for the day on Dispostion and Contributer, should have been down ESP seeing as Contributer couldn't even run Fourth for me to get my money back of the Ladbrokes Promotion but picked up on smaller bets on Sabatini, and in particular Bon Aurum and  Black Tomahawk...  

And some how ended walking out of there $100 up which was good considering I was backing my whole day's fortunes on the two features... 

Also the good weather really brought in a decent crowd - From what I could see even the Public was much more packed than last year and a few decent gals were around the mounting yard for what this meeting normally gets which is a good sign for the bigger meets to come. :up:l

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

People need to be realistic because it is a $4.50 bet but surely Leicester is worth a go at home against Arsenal.

Apart from that, West ham at home $2.25 and Stoke at home $2.80 are very interesting, both playing against teams with good form hence the higher odds but WEst Ham have shown more with their results while I think Stokalona is finally ready to get going.

Chelsea quite happy with them at $1.70 odds, and United are a very good chance but their odds are really short at liek $1.25 which puts me off a little.

• malloy changed the title to Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call itI'mhu