Melbourne Football

Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call it

MaliMate

out of curiosity, does anyone know someone who has made a living out of gambling on sports?

i dont have the skills nor balls to be able to do it, but its interesting how much people are prepared to lose...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeljko_Ranogajec

If you google his name theres some information out there. Seems like an interesting character.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I wonder what would happen if I actually put time/effort into gambling. I consistently make a profit currently just by being smart rather than putting much time/effort in, but that profit is small and just a bit of fun really (like $50-100/week on average I guess, probably closer to $50 if I actually went over my transactions and calculated it, it's easy to remember your wins and forget your losses).

I'm too sceptical to think I'll gain anything from putting a bunch of time/effort into it though, so I cbf trying. Probably end up over thinking it and actually do worse.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

out of curiosity, does anyone know someone who has made a living out of gambling on sports?

i dont have the skills nor balls to be able to do it, but its interesting how much people are prepared to lose...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeljko_Ranogajec

If you google his name theres some information out there. Seems like an interesting character.

"The ATO has looked at his activities on numerous occasions over the last 25 years and on each occasion has concluded his activities did not constitute a business."

rofl. Doesn't this guy employ other people to work for him, rents office space, etc.

Strong hustle.

Edited by Tesla

im only interested because i know someone who treats it basically like a second job/income

eg. he had $2,500 on Holland vs Aus to finish 3-2

Interesting, this is what I've been focusing on recently with soccer, correct score market, except obviously with way less money.

How sure are you that's legit though, odds would have been pretty high so it would have been a serious payout, to the level that I'm sure a few bookies would reject the bet.

im only interested because i know someone who treats it basically like a second job/income

eg. he had $2,500 on Holland vs Aus to finish 3-2

Interesting, this is what I've been focusing on recently with soccer, correct score market, except obviously with way less money.

How sure are you that's legit though, odds would have been pretty high so it would have been a serious payout, to the level that I'm sure a few bookies would reject the bet.

to be exact, i think he put 2 different multi's on,:

Chile 2-0 Spain, Aus 2-3 Holland

Chile 2-0 Spain, Aus 1-3 Holland (or something similar)

and i think he may have put on $1,250 on each, but his outlay was definitely at least $2,500 

I agree with what you say about the correct score markets, as it forces me to put my balls on the line and not be influenced by the WDW odds. 

EDIT: 75% sure its legit, he often puts large bets on. Not sure which company with though

Edited by Libero

Got on MVG @ $3.75 to win the tournament, got a pretty cruisy run when compared to the quarter that has Bunting/Barney/Wade/Lewis in it. Jenkins killed it the other night though so next match for MVG will be tricky.

$7 for Bunting to win the quarter is pretty good odds. He's a top 8 player for mine, trains 7 hours a day, keeps his cool, nails his doubles, would have backed him to make the final if his draw wasn't so tough.

MVG didn't deliver, shattered, thought he was a monty to make the final. Bunting also lost by a bees dick. Taylor Anderson final, heart says Taylor, head says Anderson, thinking Total Sets Over would be a decent bet for tomorrow morning as I can see it going down to the wire.

Getting on Iran to win the Asian cup as they appear decent value at $8.

9 at Beteasy mate.

Shopping around, for an outlay of $73.8 you can get a return of $100 if Australia, Japan, South Korea, or Iran win. That's equivalent of 1.355 odds. Relies on the $5 take on tom for Aus though, which limits it to the $100 return as you can only bet $20 with the Take oin Tom offer.

If it was scalable it would be worth the effort, not sure if it is for $26.20.

If you want it to be scalable, you have to spend another $5 per $100 return, dropping the odds to 1.269.

Not sure if that's worth the risk of one of the outsiders getting up.

Now to add uzbekistan, saudi arabia, and China, you can still get $100 from 90, and it's scalable. Could put in 900$, take out $1000, some might say it's an easy $100 profit.

I'd probably cover North Korea too but that wont cost much, would make it like $915 to get $1000.

But then that game gets shit, add coverage for UAE as well, etc. you're left with nothing.

That first one I mentioned is probably the best, $100 off $73.8 if one of the big 4 teams, good value. Fuck it, I'll do that, you'd take $1.355 for one of the 4 strong teams to win it.

Edited by Tesla

Actually might just put $20 on Aus @ $5 and $11 on Iran at $9. Japan could certainly win it, but fuck betting on them even at $3.40 (the best odds available), and I can't really see South Korea winning the thing, not for $7.50 any way.

Australia have been playing shit, but Ange showed he can get a team ready for a competition, and the home support should be a boost. Worth a go at $5.

• Like 1

He'd be banned from the online bookies if he was too successful

I think it would be winning consistently that gets you banned rather than winning big. For example you could win a couple of big multis or whatever but the bookies would fancy themselves at getting it back if they feel it's just luck. Whereas if you're consistently beating the bookies, even if the amounts aren't huge I reckon you're a bigger chance of having your bets limited or even being banned.

TBH, I'm surprised the bookies don't look at hiring these guys. By banning them they are basically admitting the guy is better than themselves at picking the odds, why not hire them rather than just banning them?

Edited by Tesla

I can confirm that most professional punters that consistently make only profits each year usually have to bet with Betfair because the Bookies dont want PPL who just take money of them each year.

On the other hand the Bookies dont care so much about Professional Punters who have a habit of winning big and losing big.

There is pretty much an arbitrage on every game at the Asian cup, could have made like $70 off of $600 on this match for example, just cbf depositing that much and cbf only making like $20-30 if deposit like $200-300 only. But easy money if you can be bothered.

Just gonna keep losing money on these correct score bets instead :up:

Edited by Tesla

Got Iraq 1-0 last night.

Have Korea 2-1.

But 11$ for Kuwait looks worth putting a few on for lols as well. Palmerbet keep giving really high odds for these outside teams throughout the tournament so far, they had the 42 for Palestine the other day. Too bad they have fuck all markets.

Edited by Tesla

$1.60 for Iran?

Very tempted to put like $150 on it.

guessing you didn't?

wouldn't bet on them again, very lucky tbh

tonight's games are tough i reckon, but Jordan and Japan would be my bet

Put $160 on them (everything I had in my betting account). Was shitting myself. Would never do again. Barely covered my losses on other bets from the day.

Palestine are worth a bet at these odds, they are a decent chance.

Edited by Tesla

Got on Unders in the Card Index in the Palestine-Jordan game, going to follow that Korean referee as he was timid as fuck, only yellow he gave was for the handball by the GK outside the box which he had no choice to. There were atleast 2-3 bookable challenges throughout the game that he didn't even call a foul for lol, maybe it's just because both teams were middle eastern and he wasn't as comfortable throwing out cards, looking at his history suggest so as he does give them out in K-League games. Am gonna see what game he gets assigned to next for the Asian Cup.

• Like 2

Turns out if you're a betfair member, you've got a $50 bonus bet sitting in a bet easy account.

Jacked the lot on Taylor Swift to get #1 in the hottest 100 paying $5.50 for lols

Free $100 bet with BetEasy as well if you deposit $100. Chucked it all on Socceroos. 

Turns out if you're a betfair member, you've got a $50 bonus bet sitting in a bet easy account.

Jacked the lot on Taylor Swift to get #1 in the hottest 100 paying $5.50 for lols

Free $100 bet with BetEasy as well if you deposit $100. Chucked it all on Socceroos.

That's targeted. You probably haven't deposited in a while. I don't get those any more.

Best was unibet kept giving me a 50% bonus match of my deposit upto 160, I guess cause I hadn't deposited in a while. They gave me a new one every week for 3 weeks with them each having a month until the offer expired. Used all 3 at once over the boxing day weekend, withdrew over 750 from the 480 I put in. Needless to say I didn't get a 4th one :lawl:

Edited by Tesla

Also got a $100 freebie with unibet but wnnings have to be turned over 7(!) times. Chucked that on a draw which was paying pretty well.

They give you the stake as well though, which is why the turnover is high.

But really it isn't that much different.

Every bonus at unibet has been 4x turnover for me, which works out to be about the same as what you' have to turn over elsewhere, because your first bet/s count as turnover as well at unibet, and your turnover is based on your bonus amount rather than winnings (and most the times winnings would be more than your bonus amount, could easily be 3x your bonus making it the same as elsewhere, or could even be more making it better). Factor in that you also keep the stake, I think they have the best bonus system when its 4x turnover.

I have seen a 7x one before, forgot what they were giving it for, like a refund one or something, never went for it.

Just got word the William Hill brand is coming to Australia. First it will replace Sportingbet before the new AFL/NRL season and then Tom Waterhouse and Centerbet will be rebranding in due course.

Marketing budget will be increased by 10m, so they might finally start giving some good offers. Probably the only significance of this to punters, nothing will really be lost, they had the same odds across sites and barely had any offers (apart from Take on Tom) across the sites.

• malloy changed the title to Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call itI'mhu