Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

21 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You are so, so, so, so wrong. State of Origin is basically the best sporting contest in the world. Despite QLDs domination over recent years the games have for the most part been; brutual, passionate and close contests. There is not sporting product that consistently delivers like SOO. I have been to a Rugby World Cup final and Super, have done the Den away along with a stack of other English grounds and a bunch of other live sporting contests and none compare to Origin.

Yeah - That is thing about Origin... its the Ultimate in the game of League and that includes International Matches which honestly are of a lower standard.

In saying that I think another reason Origin is so big up north and in particular in Sydney is because it requires minimal effort on behalf of its fans which really suits Sydneysiders and (Queenslanders to a smaller extent) who are quite apathetic when it comes to attending/watching sport compared to the Southern States. 

My brothers are AFL fans who live in Sydney and the only League games they and their friends watch are Origin, and when I have asked their friends who they support in NRL they usually struggle to remember the side their dad once told them to answer to such a question. It reminds me of when you ask a Western Australian who they follow in the WAFL or a Victorian if they have a traditional VFA side.

In saying that I struggle to have an interest in either of the two sides... its like watching the ANZAC Day match for me as I support Manly but I am a Victorian and my dad (Who lives in NSW now) has taken to calling me a Mexican these days so I dont really want to stick up for NSW. So then I end up falling in favour of Queensland but that usually sees me supporting against Manly's better players..

Ultimately I care about Manly in NRL not two states I dont like in so when our players get injured in Origin or we lose games due to have to many Origin Players in our squad... it just shits me off like NT Soccer.

35 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

UOTIH: State of Origin is extremely overrated and shit. I'd probably feel different if I was from Queensland or NSW, but really even then it's just three average games of Australia's fourth best football code (soccer, aussie rules and union are all far superior) that end up with Queensland winning and everyone moving on and forgetting the NRL exists until one of their players sexually assaults a woman or a dog when on the piss. Nobody in Victoria really cares but because most Australian media companies are based in Sydney we all have to hear and pretend to care about it.

Rugby Union was obviously better than League up until the end of nineties, since the game went from a game of Gentlemanly Amateurs to a full blown professional sport the flow of the game has taken a massive hit. I actually never thought I could utter these words and I believe me I still feel stupid saying them but League is the better game to watch now because Union is just a hard slog usually decided by penalties.

Union needs to adopt League's scoring system so the passing/running game can return... as at the moment Top Flight Schoolboy Rugby is far better to watch than Professional Rugby as they actually play the game like it used to be played.

When you watch Campese and Co on Youtube from the 1991 World Cup you can see how there is no way Modern Professional sides would throw the ball around like back then... when they really played such a way as it was the spirit of the game.

Edited by cadete

@GreenSeater please admit yourself into care now whilst you can still be saved.

@bt50 I stopped watching Union (ie Rugby) about 25 years ago when I lived in the country and it wasn't broadcast on ABC anymore. The few times I see it now I have to agree, it's terrible to watch.

In the old days the good games were great but the bad games were beyond abysmal. Everyone talks about Campase but forgets the northern hemisphere maul+kick then get a penalty goal approach. More games were played like that than by passing and running.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Nope, just simple folk who don't understand the intricacies of union would think this. 

Australian league teams  > Australian Union teams 

New Zealand Union teams > Australian league teams 

I understand the intricacies of Union, I went to the best Rugby school here in Victoria and my Baby Brother would have easily played Ones at Riverview if he had been a dedicated jock and not a Bohemian Chain Smoker.

So I do feel like an idiot to say I prefer to watch League these days but it baffles me why they won't change the scoring in Union as it would instantly effect how Professional Sides play the game. 

Also probably the thing I like best about the NRL is that despite so much Glitz being involved in the sport it has in some ways in NSW retained some local Tribalism that has been lost in AFL and only manufactured if anything in the A-League.

Its great how in NRL you still have a number of NSW teams who play at local grounds that have peculiarities like odd Grandstands, Trees and Hills. You also get supporter groups that are not sanitized by being Club Run and a more a bunch of Loonies like the VFL Cheersquads back in the old days.

Its great to a watch Professional Sport which despite attempting to be modernised earlier than other codes in Australia has somehow retained such things which had all died out of the AFL before I had left school.

• Like 1

League is to rugby what T20 is to cricket. Just a less enjoyable version of the game for people with short attention spans. Maybe I'd enjoy SOO if it actually felt like something was on the line, or maybe if it happened less often like every 2 or 3 years. 3 games a year seems like way too much. I don't know it just kind of feels like an NBA all star game that means not a lot. 

4 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

League is to rugby what T20 is to cricket. Just a less enjoyable version of the game for people with short attention spans. Maybe I'd enjoy SOO if it actually felt like something was on the line, or maybe if it happened less often like every 2 or 3 years. 3 games a year seems like way too much. I don't know it just kind of feels like an NBA all star game that means not a lot. 

The thing is most Northerns actually would prefer to win the State of Origin than their NRL side win the Title... which I find crazy but its true so its nothing like an All Star Game and its also why State of Origin AFL does not work because AFL fans care too much about the clubs.

A Queenslander I used to work with was a massive Broncs fan and when I asked which he would chose he thought it was a stupid question, such was the importance of State of Origin. Another time I was on the hill at Brookvale and Stewart (In his prime) went off injured and all anybody cared about was if he would be fit for the State of Origin. (I felt like saying... the rest of NSW fucken hates us why do give a shit if he is fit to play for them.)

Both sides have a reason to hate the other:

NSW hate QLD because they created the Regular League where all the players are now drawn from and hate being made to look stupid losing to a little brother they let join their league... ESP in recent times have been particularly dark.

QLD hate NSW because of how biased the TV commentary is towards NSW throughout games... which is undeniably true and any Storm fan on here (I assume there are a few) and even a Manly fan like myself can back this up that NRL Commentators are the most retardedly biased  Commentators in the world. 

33 minutes ago, Hackett said:

Given the circumstances, shooting the Gorilla was the right move.  

I was told how some PPL think the parents should be held responsible and charged... when I heard this I thought the kid was like at least eight and then I find out he was only bloody four.

I mean FFS how can you stop a even well behaved Four Year Old from doing some crazy shit, in fact its more likely a smarter Four Year Old that is going to find himself in a Gorilla Cage rather than a Dumb One if you think about it as it takes initiative and an investigative mind.

It's like when once my mother got out of her car for one minute outside my house to give my father something in the yard before she headed off elsewhere my brother when he was Three managed to get out his kiddie seat and jump in the front seat and then take the handbrake off in a wish to start the car as he had seen her do this before. (Luckily she noticed in time and was able to stop the car from moving.)

Now my brother is the last guy you could say was a troubled kid, he was a model student/class president/perfect and all of that his whole life and teachers in fact told my parents constantly he was one of best kids in terms of influencing the other kids he taught. In fact he is a Workers Rights Lawyer now but even he as a three year old was able to do so stupid shit so anyone who thinks parents who should be held responsible for a Four Year Old doing something irresponsible need to remember Kids are going to be Kids..

Edited by cadete

34 minutes ago, cadete said:

I was told how some PPL think the parents should be held responsible and charged... when I heard this I thought the kid was like at least eight and then I find out he was only bloody four.

I mean FFS how can you stop a even well behaved Four Year Old from doing some crazy shit, in fact its more likely a smarter Four Year Old that is going to find himself in a Gorilla Cage rather than a Dumb One if you think about it as it takes initiative and an investigative mind.

It's like when once my mother got out of her car for one minute outside my house to give my father something in the yard before she headed off elsewhere my brother when he was Three managed to get out his kiddie seat and jump in the front seat and then take the handbrake off in a wish to start the car as he had seen her do this before. (Luckily she noticed in time and was able to stop the car from moving.)

Now my brother is the last guy you could say was a troubled kid, he was a model student/class president/perfect and all of that his whole life and teachers in fact told my parents constantly he was one of best kids in terms of influencing the other kids he taught. In fact he is a Workers Rights Lawyer now but even he as a three year old was able to do so stupid shit so anyone who thinks parents who should be held responsible for a Four Year Old doing something irresponsible need to remember Kids are going to be Kids..

I can't hold the kid responsible. Parents? Not enough has been published to know the full circumstances of where the mother was and what she was doing nor whether the father was there as well. Bystanders? I would presume that there were bystanders, what happen to them? The zoo? now here is a more disturbing question. I don't hold the zoo responsible for shooting the gorilla but how come a child was able to climb into the gorilla enclosure?

Several years ago Melbourne Zoo were sued for similar incidents. In one case a primary age school group visiting the zoo had a child jump over a fences when the teachers were organising the other students, so that he could pat a wild cat. The cat reacted and slashed his wrist. The second case they had a woman jump a fence into a wild animals enclosure to pick a flower she had become besotted with. Since then the zoo has changed the type of enclosure so that it becomes increasingly difficult to have access to the animals. You will notice that many are behind glass walls as this was the only way to prevent people from jumping fences and we can still see the animals. However, the zoo has been forced to spend money on protecting humans from their own stupidity rather than doing research of improving amenities.

6 hours ago, cadete said:

You're right, but it's not even the most important point.

What really matters is the simple fact that a human life is more valuable than an animal's life.

Just shows how far these animal rights nutcases have gone when this is even up for debate ffs.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Mate I can assure you it means a lot in Queensland! This is bigger than the grand final (better players for a start), bigger than a test match, with State pride on the line.

A meaningless Allstar game? You really haven't been playing attention!

This is the pinnacle of the player's careers and they play like it. For us the chance to show the patronising big brother that we can actually play means our side, like all others before them, will dig deep to play the game of their lives. It's the ultimate rugby league contest.

• Like 1

@cadete the hate for NSW in rugby league goes a LOT DEEPER than a few biased wankers on the Tele. For people like me who grew up in the 70s or earlier, the NSW establishment patronised Queensland in every facet of life. We'd play them in RL with honest toilers but their poker machine funded clubs meant they could bring in talent from anywhere and any good kids we ran out in Maroon one year would come back in the accursed sky blue the next to run all over us.

Also you may not appreciate that all delegates to the ARL ALWAYS vote on state lines and that NSW have always had the casting vote. So we had them telling us we were shit, then making the rules to ensure that we were. Those players from Qld who stared in Sydney were said to be "turned into players when they got there".

Decades of that and you can see why we might not be too friendly and why we are looking for some revenge on the footy field.

It may also help to explain my personal position on sky blue.

Cronk passed fit! Go the maroons!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tesla said:

What really matters is the simple fact that a human life is more valuable than an animal's life.

Just shows how far these animal rights nutcases have gone when this is even up for debate ffs.

I'm a vegetarian but I'd shoot the last white rhino if it meant saving Kim Jung Un. Human life MUST aleays come first 

9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

UOTIH: State of Origin is extremely overrated and shit. I'd probably feel different if I was from Queensland or NSW, but really even then it's just three average games of Australia's fourth best football code (soccer, aussie rules and union are all far superior) that end up with Queensland winning and everyone moving on and forgetting the NRL exists until one of their players sexually assaults a woman or a dog when on the piss. Nobody in Victoria really cares but because most Australian media companies are based in Sydney we all have to hear and pretend to care about it.

Agreed.

What annoys me too about it is the fact half the players that are playing aren't even from the state their playing for! I like the idea of SOO, but they just piss all over the idea by allowing anyone to play for any state they want!

The only reason its pumped up is because this is their only big "sporting" event that both states can claim they have. Compared to us in Victoria who has the afl grand final, Melbourne cup, formula 1, australian open ext.

Lets just let them have their little game of pile on, I'm happy with what we have tyvm :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Actually sat down and watched it last night because of all the disagreements with this opinion there were. Thought I'd give it a chance. I 100% stand by my original statement. The only highlight of the game was Sam Thaiday's post game interview because that was fucking hilarious!

I believe the state you play for is decided by the club you played your first representative game for. Nothing to do with where you are from.

I agree that the state of origin is now shit as is rugby leauge in general.

The problem is that that the appeal of the game has always been the violence. When ever people get nostalgic and talk about the golden era of leauge, what they (myself included) are basically saying is they miss watching huge brawls and people getting creamed by a giant. Now that they are trying to get rid of the violent elements, its lost all of its appeal because without the hard hits, punch ons, etc there is very little left of interest in the game. It would be like watching mma but the rules are they cant hurt each other. Its pointless.

#bringbackthebiff

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I believe the state you play for is decided by the club you played your first representative game for. Nothing to do with where you are from.

The problem is that that the appeal of the game has always been the violence. When ever people get nostalgic and talk about the golden era of leauge, what they (myself included) are basically saying is they miss watching huge brawls and people getting creamed by a giant. Now that they are trying to get rid of the violent elements, its lost all of its appeal because without the hard hits, punch ons, etc there is very little left of interest in the game. It would be like watching mma but the rules are they cant hurt each other. Its pointless.

#bringbackthebiff

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

One of the downsides to making heroes out of people that cop hits to the head for a living, is that kids grow up idolizing people who i reckon would be considered legally retarded

Perhaps Im biased, but league players in particular seems to have a much much lower IQ to the other codes

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Perhaps Im biased, but league players in particular seems to have a much much lower IQ to the other codes

No, you are absolutely correct. The leauge players i went to school with were possibly some of the stupidest people i have ever delt with in my life

16 hours ago, Tesla said:

386_tid_8.gif

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

#bringbackthebiff

Not just that though (but things like banning shoulder charges and making players step aside from the path of kick chasers really shit me). But the surrender tackle, and the focus on "completions" and robotic formula play like we saw last night is just so boring.

I want to see blokes draw defenders, break tackles etc etc & it just doesn't happen like it used to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bt50 said:

21 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

No, you are absolutely correct. The leauge players i went to school with were possibly some of the stupidest people i have ever delt with in my life

It is the Working Man's form of Rugby, which is one of the other reason's I prefer to Union because it has a richer history as it was a sport where the club's grew up through the Community rather than the Establishment.

I love reading about the Traditions, Rivalries and History in the game like @Shahanga earlier post of a deeper analysis about the Origin Rivalry. This is also one of the things I love about Australian Rules, as I was taught such stuff from father at young age as his a bit of an amauter Aussie Rules Historian and then began reading a lot about it as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure whether it's popular or unpopular...but I find the political correctness in the current election campaign absolutely sickening. The country is drowning in PC.

It's because one part of our society has got nothing better to do than shout and scream louder than and over the top of everyone else. That isn't literally what's happening, but it is the 2016 equivalent of what is happening, with a certain segment of society sitting on social media all day spamming their politically correct crap and making everyone else think that's the popular opinion, when I don't think it is.

The worst thing is it stops any sort of logical and honest discussion because people are too scared to breach the politically correct code and be labelled a sexist/racist/homophobe/misogynist/'victim blamer'/etc/etc/etc.

It's a new form of tyranny, utilising social pressure as it's control method, and implemented by worthless plebs who should never even come close to wielding such power.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tesla said:

with a certain segment of society sitting on social media all day spamming their politically correct crap and making everyone else think that's the popular opinion, when I don't think it is.

This is exactly why Trump is popular. Regardless of what he says and whether people agree with it or not, the silent majority out there respect him for calling a spade a spade instead of a multi purpose equality stick.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure whether it's popular or unpopular...but I find the political correctness in the current election campaign absolutely sickening. The country is drowning in PC.

I'll give you a different take although you don't mention any examples of what PC irks you.

The reason why the media, both traditional and social, is concentrating on PC is because there is a genuine vacuum of policy details and policy ideology. When there is nothing of substance then  you concentrate on the trivial. Like Kuzi's lack of ball skill means that he concentrates on step overs instead.

The coalition in this election once again is concentrating on a slogan about a plan but what they call is no plan - its a pamphlet of wishful thinking. John Hewson set the standard for providing a plan (and yes I know how that went down). The ALP came out with a big bang but now we are finding out that they aren't that loud after all. Hence we get the inane comments.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I'll give you a different take although you don't mention any examples of what PC irks you.

The reason why the media, both traditional and social, is concentrating on PC is because there is a genuine vacuum of policy details and policy ideology. When there is nothing of substance then  you concentrate on the trivial. Like Kuzi's lack of ball skill means that he concentrates on step overs instead.

The coalition in this election once again is concentrating on a slogan about a plan but what they call is no plan - its a pamphlet of wishful thinking. John Hewson set the standard for providing a plan (and yes I know how that went down). The ALP came out with a big bang but now we are finding out that they aren't that loud after all. Hence we get the inane comments.

The Political Parties are not idiots, neither are in a position where they should be running with great volumes of Policy if the wish to win the election.

An Opposition should be as Policy Light as possible in any election... I really dont know why this needs to be explained but if you need an example you gave one in providing the only Idiot who did the opposite in the last thirty years of Federal Elections in Jon Hewson.

The Government is running for its second term, you have go to before WW2 to find a Government who did not win a Second Term so why would they be trying to pump the electorate with a whole lot of new policies to give them reasons to not let them see what they can do with more time like Australians always seem to do.

People dont like Politicians, therefore the best approach to winning a Second Term Election for both parties is to give them as little as possible to hate you just a little less than the other bunch. PPL who complain about there being no real policies these types of elections will be complaining until end of the earth... unless the Greens get in and we become a Dictatorship.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

The Political Parties are not idiots, neither are in a position where they should be running with great volumes of Policy if the wish to win the election.

An Opposition should be as Policy Light as possible in any election... I really dont know why this needs to be explained but if you need an example you gave one in providing the only Idiot who did the opposite in the last thirty years of Federal Elections in Jon Hewson.

The Government is running for its second term, you have go to before WW2 to find a Government who did not win a Second Term so why would they be trying to pump the electorate with a whole lot of new policies to give them reasons to not let them see what they can do with more time like Australians always seem to do.

People dont like Politicians, therefore the best approach to winning a Second Term Election for both parties is to give them as little as possible to hate you just a little less than the other bunch. PPL who complain about there being no real policies these types of elections will be complaining until end of the earth... unless the Greens get in and we become a Dictatorship.

I'll give you some counter examples - Ted Bailliieau and the state coalition. Policy light during the election campaign turned out to be policy light in government. The ALP 1983 election campaign was just about right in terms of policy weight - not too light but good enough to get some opposition stakeholders on board. I don't expect the parties to produce detailed documentation but when I talk to some senior corporate types who make business decisions, to economists who work in the private sector and they say this is way too light then I have reason to believe that  is the case.

The other thing that you are overlooking is that sometimes there are shifts in what the public demands. So when Howard went for the small target strategy it was a reaction the loss by Hewson and to prevent a scare campaign. It now seems to have become the norm for elections but there will be a time when a political party will go back the other way and win.

And right now the inane repetition of slogans is grating everyone I know.

Damn, I take a break from visiting here and all of a sudden there is a greatest mc debate??? 

Biggie, Pun and L for mine.

Death has nothing to do with it.

Sure pac was good, the greatest? Fuck Outta here kingofhearts. 

Honourable mentions to KRS ONE, Large Professor, LL cool J shit I could be here a while.

And yes, Bias is better than Kerser but clearly Kerser is the sickest. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2016 at 3:32 PM, NewConvert said:

I'll give you some counter examples - Ted Bailliieau and the state coalition. Policy light during the election campaign turned out to be policy light in government. The ALP 1983 election campaign was just about right in terms of policy weight - not too light but good enough to get some opposition stakeholders on board. I don't expect the parties to produce detailed documentation but when I talk to some senior corporate types who make business decisions, to economists who work in the private sector and they say this is way too light then I have reason to believe that  is the case.

The other thing that you are overlooking is that sometimes there are shifts in what the public demands. So when Howard went for the small target strategy it was a reaction the loss by Hewson and to prevent a scare campaign. It now seems to have become the norm for elections but there will be a time when a political party will go back the other way and win.

And right now the inane repetition of slogans is grating everyone I know.

I was going to write a longer reply talking about the elections you mention in more detail... but what really needs to be said is none of those mentioned were those involving a One Term Government which was my original point about the current election campaigning being rather formulaic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24 August 2016 at 0:23 PM, Tesla said:

UOTYH: While everyone knows math is the most boring thing imaginable in a theoretical/educational setting, real life applications of math to solve problems / figure things out is actually interesting AF.

(My unpopular opinion: maths is not boring.)

In other news: Fox shouldn't have brought Garb back to Oz, rather they should have sent him to cover the Bundesliga.

Edited by Shahanga
Separating the merged posts