Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

UOTYH: For every year you remain unemployed on Centrelink after 2 years the benefits should reduce by 10% per year until you have to live in a tent. 

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I was told in Canada you gain unemployment credits for every x amount of hours you work. So if you want to access unemployment benefits you either have to have enough credits or you have to study. 

UOTYH--The best thing to come out of Nirvana is the Foo fighters 

Duran Duran legit better than any grunge band. Grunge music I'm guessing must have been a time and place kinda thing. Pixies were pre grunge and were a fuck load better than any of that shit. 

Also Foo Fighters broke up Sunny Day Real Estate so fuck them.

Duran Duran legit better than any grunge band. Grunge music I'm guessing must have been a time and place kinda thing. Pixies were pre grunge and were a fuck load better than any of that shit. 

Also Foo Fighters broke up Sunny Day Real Estate so fuck them.

I am sorry but I see little difference between the Foo Fighters and bands like Nickleback and Creed.

• Like 1

Don't be sorry, Pretty much anything after the first two albums I agree. At least the first two albums had something unique in their pop rock sensibility. Most of it since is arena rock radio bull shit. As you say akin to Nickelback. 

Duran Duran are actually one of the most revolutionary music acts of the last 30 years as far as I'm concerned. They wrote legitimately great pop songs along with the other new romantic bands that sound edgier than most music today. They pushed the envelope and also pretty much invented music television as it is today. Plus I saw boobs for the first time watching 'girls on film' on rage. Is a hangover of the 90's where people assume music must be guitar centred to be respectable. Give me the 80's over the 90's in regards to popular music any day. I blame nirvana for it tbh.

Edited by perthheart

Don't be sorry, Pretty much anything after the first two albums I agree. At least the first two albums had something unique in their pop rock sensibility. Most of it since is arena rock radio bull shit. As you say akin to Nickelback. 

Duran Duran are actually one of the most revolutionary music acts of the last 30 years as far as I'm concerned. They wrote legitimately great pop songs along with the other new romantic bands that sound edgier than most music today. They pushed the envelope and also pretty much invented music television as it is today. Plus I saw boobs for the first time watching 'girls on film' on rage. Is a hangover of the 90's where people assume music must be guitar centred to be respectable. Give me the 80's over the 90's in regards to popular music any day. I blame nirvana for it tbh.

Curiously back in the 60s & 70s it used to be that the first album was crap followed by an improvement on the second and third albums, as the musicians developed their song writing and performing craft. Then some time in the 80s it changed with the focus being on profitability from the first album and then CDs compounded the problem (being longer than the vinyl therefore more filler material).

As for Duran Duran being a revolutionary act - well they were really ripping off David Bowie (indeed the whole New Romantic stuff begun as a reaction to British punk and a tribute to David Bowie). And music TV was really started by our own Countdown - since all the big acts were not readily available Countdown began requesting music clips in video format rather than film and playing them in high rotation. The BBC had Top of The Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test but both of these programs concentrated in having the acts live at the time. And as the cost of video was substantially cheaper than film, there were a lot of struggling film directors where the short film was specifically suited for music clip; enter Russell Mulcahy and others.

Finally, guitars come and go in terms of pop music. After all the blues are a recurring staple of pop music and they are heavily biased towards guitars. Grunge to me was more of a reaction to spandex metal than anything else. As a Led Zeppelin fan, I cannot stand the sort of crap David Lee Roth and his ilk spouts about. I originally didn't mind Guns'n'Roses but they became more spandex and big hair than musicians.

Forgot to mention that during Duran Duran's most creative period they were being produced and directed by Godley & Creme who have a very fine ear for pop tunes and visually very creative.

UOTYH: modern superhero movies are uncreative, predictable, boring pieces of shit (DC and Marvel both guilty)

most modern day superhero movies seems to be more worried about winning a special effects award rather than making a good story

• Like 1

UOTYH: modern superhero movies are uncreative, predictable, boring pieces of shit (DC and Marvel both guilty)

Agree, but I'd say most movies released are guilty of the same flaws.  It's become more important to know how to market a film, than how to make one.

I've never read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and since I don't generally go for American films I didn't think much of the film either.

I read it and really enjoyed it. I tried to watch the movie but I couldnt understand a fucking word they were saying so I turned it off after about ten minutes.

One of the best books we did at highschool.

UOTYH; I really liked studying books at highschool, particularly Shakespeare's plays.

Dont get me wrong I like most of them too, 

But you clearly did not have to do The Tempest like I did in Year Twelve... too fucken crazy for my tastes.

UOTYH; I really liked studying books at highschool, particularly Shakespeare's plays.

Me too. I enjoyed it so much I enrolled at uni to study literature, but quickly dropped it after realising that there's not much point because a degree in lit studies doesnt exactly create a lot of job opportunities

Me too. I enjoyed it so much I enrolled at uni to study literature, but quickly dropped it after realising that there's not much point because a degree in lit studies doesnt exactly create a lot of job opportunities

The funny thing is there are a lot of these Specific Vocational Degrees that Uni's now create (Which are actually still  BA's) that are at least as useless due to how narrow they are in content that a person is taught.

The funny thing is there are a lot of these Specific Vocational Degrees that Uni's now create (Which are actually still  BA's) that are at least as useless due to how narrow they are in content that a person is taught.

Yeah. While I certainly have no ill feelings towards people that are in a position where they can study certain things that will ultimately lead them nowhere job wise it does surprise me how many subjects I look at and think "all you are going to get out of this degree is to be able to be that annoying cunt working in a call center that thinks he is too good to be there because you have a degree in (insert some ridiculous subject like "European doorknob making" here)"

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3u2mBVFEHc

Edited by KSK_47

Just goes to show how University has changed. Traditionally, University was about intellectual development in the broad sense. It was never intended to just be another stage in a sausage-machine to prepare someone for a particular job.

• Like 2

Just goes to show how University has changed. Traditionally, University was about intellectual development in the broad sense. It was never intended to just be another stage in a sausage-machine to prepare someone for a particular job.

It's a real shame tbh but that is exactly how its treated. I don't even go to my classes anymore. I just do my assignments and exams get my mark.

• Like 1

Yeah. While I certainly have no ill feelings towards people that are in a position where they can study certain things that will ultimately lead them nowhere job wise it does surprise me how many subjects I look at and think "all you are going to get out of this degree is to be able to be that annoying cunt working in a call center that thinks he is too good to be there because you have a degree in (insert some ridiculous subject like "European doorknob making" here)"

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3u2mBVFEHc

or this 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-loDklmrbd0

It still is about intellectual development at a postgraduate level... but yeah, as an undergrad I'm in thisphantomfortress' boat

It's a real shame tbh but that is exactly how its treated.

100%. There are so many things i would love to study purely for enjoyment and increased knowledge but its just not an option. Studying as a mature age student in a feild that has job opportunities (although limited in my case) is difficult enough but if there was zero opportunity at the end of it theres no way i could do it

• Like 2

Interesting reading these comments as education has become more utilitarian. In my circles I have a few UOTYH including splitting the university sector in three: an Advanced College where students have to earn degrees that are employment related: engineering, doctors, electricians, etc - intake would predominantly be from high school; a University sector that provides research and advanced degrees such as masters and doctorates; a "whole of life" sector that provides additional skill sets to people in the workforce, refresher courses for the workforce, and learn at your own pace material such as literature, history, etc (these would most likely be provided over the web rather than through classes). For those in the workforce, I would add a tax to employers that could be paid by either allowing staff time off for additional education (these would be no more than 5 working days per year) or pay cash into a trust fund so that people in between jobs can get access to education.

I personally really like the model that Melbourne Uni has these days. They make you do a one of five generic undergraduate degree as science, arts, environments, commerce or biomed and only offer medicine, law, engineering and other more career specific degrees as post-grad. In my experience very few people coming straight out of high school really know that they want to do. Plus it means when you do your post-grad studies you are studying with people who are committed to what they are doing. 

• Like 1

I personally really like the model that Melbourne Uni has these days. They make you do a one of five generic undergraduate degree as science, arts, environments, commerce or biomed and only offer medicine, law, engineering and other more career specific degrees as post-grad. In my experience very few people coming straight out of high school really know that they want to do. Plus it means when you do your post-grad studies you are studying with people who are committed to what they are doing. 

I've effectively done this but at Monash. Did arts double majoring in politics and history. Now I'm doing law post grad while working as a corporate accounts manager at a listed company. Who said an arts degree doesn't get you a job.

I personally really like the model that Melbourne Uni has these days. They make you do a one of five generic undergraduate degree as science, arts, environments, commerce or biomed and only offer medicine, law, engineering and other more career specific degrees as post-grad graduate. In my experience very few people coming straight out of high school really know that they want to do. Plus it means when you do your post-grad graduate studies you are studying with people who are committed to what they are doing. 

Sorry to be pedantic.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

Unless it's changed sine I was at Melbourne, but engineering is an undergrad degree.

I've effectively done this but at Monash. Did arts double majoring in politics and history. Now I'm doing law post grad while working as a corporate accounts manager at a listed company. Who said an arts degree doesn't get you a job.

I could argue that being a checkout chick at Coles makes you an accounts manager at a listed company. So if someone comes in to buy supplies for their business (which is incorporated) from Coles, then the aformentioned checkout chick is a corporate accounts manager.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Unless it's changed sine I was at Melbourne, but engineering is an undergrad degree.

Yeah mate it changed around 5 or 6 years ago. If you want to do engineering now you do a bachelor of science and as a part of that you do enough engineering subjects to hit the prerequisites for graduate study. A undergraduate biology student and an undergraduate engineering student would both get a bachelor of science, they'd just do different subjects within it.

Yeah mate it changed around 5 or 6 years ago. If you want to do engineering now you do a bachelor of science and as a part of that you do enough engineering subjects to hit the prerequisites for graduate study. A undergraduate biology student and an undergraduate engineering student would both get a bachelor of science, they'd just do different subjects within it.

Just to clarify, when I was there it was after the Melbourne model was brought it, but I swear people I knew were doing engineering undergraduate even then. I guess it's changed.