Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

UOTYH: I dont get the whole 'my great grandfather served in WW1' thing. OK, what does it have to do with you?

lol that's like saying "my parents Migrated from (insert country here e.g. Macedonia ;) ) and because it was not me who was born there, then I forgo any connection with that history". Silly post by you TES.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 2

Pretty much got my Opa being stationed in WA via London then Sri Lanka at the end of WW2 with the Dutch navy to thank for being born in Australia.

Don't think its a stretch for people to acknowledge family members who fought in the wars. Many second and third generations have war time migration to thank for being Australian.

It's not just that, my closest connection is my grandad (WWII vet) & he I were very close.

You might not agree but I believe the sacrifice these men made has helped the easy life I live today. For instance God knows what the world would be like if the axis powers had won WWII.

• Like 1

UOTYH: I dont get the whole 'my great grandfather served in WW1' thing. OK, what does it have to do with you?

lol that's like saying "my parents Migrated from (insert country here e.g. Macedonia ;) ) and because it was not me who was born there, then I forgo any connection with that history". Silly post by you TES.

In fairness to TES its not like Macedonians talk or care about History at all... they have pretty much conceded Alexander was Greek these days. ;)

Edited by cadete

Nicolas Cage is to acting what Nickelback is to music.

Thats not accurate...

All of Nickelback's songs are horrific whilst Cage has made at least three decent movies... I would say he is more like the Noiseworks of Music.

Massive back catalog of crap with one or two okay songs (For Pop Rock of that Era) that you hear around Australia Day.

Edited by cadete

Thats not accurate...

All of Nickelback's songs are horrific whilst Cage has made at least three decent movies... I would say he is more like the Noiseworks of Music.

Massive back catalog of crap with one or two okay songs (For Pop Rock of that Era) that you hear around Australia Day.

Fair assessment. He also did a lot of bad movies solely to make money in order to get out of debt. I'm sure we have all worked shitty jobs because we needed money at some point.

Thats not accurate...

Fair assessment. He also did a lot of bad movies solely to make money in order to get out of debt. I'm sure we have all worked shitty jobs because we needed money at some point.

Raising Arizona alone takes him past Nickelback.

Thats not accurate...

Raising Arizona alone takes him past Nickelback.

Leaving Las Vegas :up:

UOTYH #1 : Caroline Wilson is hands down the best Football journo in this town. 

UOTYH #2 : Almost all private sphere criticism I have ever heard about her work is not about her work at all. It all begins with "bitch", "cow", "slut", "cunt", "ugly" etc. and acutely evinces that she is essentially disliked as a person, not a journalist, for A) being a female, and let's get real most of the footballing public have a problem with a woman actually knowing more about the game than themselves] B ) having an ACTUAL opinion and for that being contrary to that of the rest of the sycophantic journo pack who are so enamoured with the footballing fraternity that they have wanted to be a part of ever since they were left out of the first 22 at whatever school they went to and thus never really dare to stray too far from the path. 

I'm happy for people not to like her as person due to her disposition, personality etc. and I'm MORE than happy for people to disagree with my opinion about her journalism but as soon as you start said critique off with "that bitch" etc. you're shot and so is your irrationally founded jibe. Grow up. 

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 3

UOTYH #2 : Almost all private sphere criticism I have ever heard about her work is not about her work at all. It all begins with "bitch", "cow", "slut", "cunt", "ugly" etc. and acutely evinces that she is essentially disliked as a person, not a journalist, for A) being a female, and let's get real most of the footballing public have a problem with a woman actually knowing more about the game than themselves] B ) having an ACTUAL opinion and for that being contrary to that of the rest of the sycophantic journo pack who are so enamoured with the footballing fraternity that they have wanted to be a part of ever since they were left out of the first 22 at whatever school they went to and thus never really dare to stray too far from the path. 

I'm happy for people not to like her as person due to her disposition, personality etc. and I'm MORE than happy for people to disagree with my opinion about her journalism but as soon as you start said critique off with "that bitch" etc. you're shot and so is your irrationally founded jibe. Grow up. 

IMO she's about as far from impartial as you can get for a journo and I'd liken her more to a gossip columnist to a football writer. She tends to always trot out stereotypes and references 'sources' rather than dealing with any credible source of information.

She's allowed an opinion of course, however I don't really rate her knowledge of the game. Angela Pippos and to a lesser extent Kelli Underwood are an example of female commentators with a solid tactical knowledge.

Her articles aren't really based around football, and a lot more around the football politics side of things.

Edit: It's common knowledge that North people don't ever rate Caro after her vendetta on the club following the Gold Coast saga in 07/08 so I will wear that

Edited by bt50
  • Like 5

Meh, for me she will always be in the same group of sports journos such as Patrick Smith & Mat Thompson who you can tell don't even watch the sport their covering.

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA.

Meh, for me she will always be in the same group of sports journos such as Patrick Smith & Mat Thompson who you can tell don't even watch the sport their covering.

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA.

The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough. 

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question)

UOTYH #2 : Almost all private sphere criticism I have ever heard about her work is not about her work at all. It all begins with "bitch", "cow", "slut", "cunt", "ugly" etc. and acutely evinces that she is essentially disliked as a person, not a journalist, for A) being a female, and let's get real most of the footballing public have a problem with a woman actually knowing more about the game than themselves] B ) having an ACTUAL opinion and for that being contrary to that of the rest of the sycophantic journo pack who are so enamoured with the footballing fraternity that they have wanted to be a part of ever since they were left out of the first 22 at whatever school they went to and thus never really dare to stray too far from the path.

The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough.

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question)

She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her.

UOTYH #2 : Almost all private sphere criticism I have ever heard about her work is not about her work at all. It all begins with "bitch", "cow", "slut", "cunt", "ugly" etc. and acutely evinces that she is essentially disliked as a person, not a journalist, for A) being a female, and let's get real most of the footballing public have a problem with a woman actually knowing more about the game than themselves] B ) having an ACTUAL opinion and for that being contrary to that of the rest of the sycophantic journo pack who are so enamoured with the footballing fraternity that they have wanted to be a part of ever since they were left out of the first 22 at whatever school they went to and thus never really dare to stray too far from the path.

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA. The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough.

She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her.

She is hired to write about the Backroom Stuff as that is how she made her name by having strong sources at Richmond which was club usually internally in disarray in the first 10-15 years of her career.

FWIW I find the backroom part of Footy just as interesting as Footy Itself (Esp the last couple of Seasons how the game has developed tactically) but then again I understand how not everybody likes Politics to the extent that someone who studying at Uni would...

Patrick Smith obv has some opinions I dont like... but at least he sticks to them and raises interesting issues and FWIW I think a lot of his haters would miss his presence on the Footy Media Landscape if he disappeared.

Edited by cadete

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA.The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough.

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question) She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her.

She is hired to write about the Backroom Stuff as that is how she made her name by having strong sources at Richmond which was club usually internally in disarray in the first 10-15 years of her career.

FWIW I find the backroom part of Footy just as interesting as Footy Itself (Esp the last couple of Seasons how the game has developed tactically) but then again I understand how not everybody likes Politics to the extent that someone who studying at Uni would...

Patrick Smith obv has some opinions I dont like... but at least he sticks to them and raises interesting issues and FWIW I think a lot of his haters would miss his presence on the Footy Media Landscape if he disappeared.

I'm not saying I don't find ANY of the back room stuff enjoyable but would personally prefer someone who mixes it up a bit like Hutchy. I also hate Damian Barrett fwiw.

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA. The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough.

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question) She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her. She is hired to write about the Backroom Stuff as that is how she made her name by having strong sources at Richmond which was club usually internally in disarray in the first 10-15 years of her career.

I'm not saying I don't find ANY of the back room stuff enjoyable but would personally prefer someone who mixes it up a bit like Hutchy. I also hate Damian Barrett fwiw.

Yeah, genuinely I give sports journos a fair bit more leeway than others as my Grandfather was one but I have to say Barrett is the only major one that I cant stand at all.

Fair enough. I am sure Caro watches a few games a weekend, but for The Age footy chief writer whatever the fuck her title is to just constantly be writing articles about back room dramas and not about what is happening ON the field when there are stories a plenty just irks me. Pretty much an older, skinnier, female verson of Brian Windhorst in the NBA.The point made about the part I've highlighted and underlined is fair enough.

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question)She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her.She is hired to write about the Backroom Stuff as that is how she made her name by having strong sources at Richmond which was club usually internally in disarray in the first 10-15 years of her career.

Patrick Smith obv has some opinions I dont like... but at least he sticks to them and raises interesting issues and FWIW I think a lot of his haters would miss his presence on the Footy Media Landscape if he disappeared. I'm not saying I don't find ANY of the back room stuff enjoyable but would personally prefer someone who mixes it up a bit like Hutchy. I also hate Damian Barrett fwiw.

Yeah, genuinely I give sports journos a fair bit more leeway than others as my Grandfather was one but I have to say Barrett is the only major one that I cant stand at all.

And from all reports walks around like his shit doesn't stink which makes him more cringeworthy.

Also, any chance the Essendon saga has tinted your lenses a fair bit though? (srs question) She did call for James Hird to be sacked and went pretty hard on it so probably why I can't have her. She is hired to write about the Backroom Stuff as that is how she made her name by having strong sources at Richmond which was club usually internally in disarray in the first 10-15 years of her career.

Patrick Smith obv has some opinions I dont like... but at least he sticks to them and raises interesting issues and FWIW I think a lot of his haters would miss his presence on the Footy Media Landscape if he disappeared. I'm not saying I don't find ANY of the back room stuff enjoyable but would personally prefer someone who mixes it up a bit like Hutchy. I also hate Damian Barrett fwiw. Yeah, genuinely I give sports journos a fair bit more leeway than others as my Grandfather was one but I have to say Barrett is the only major one that I cant stand at all.

And from all reports walks around like his shit doesn't stink which makes him more cringeworthy.

Yeah - His tone indicates as such...

TBH I think if they played the Triple M Pre Match Team on repeat to captured spies they would pretty quickly spill the beans.

Well it would be at Carlton. tBH they want to know what's wrong at their club look no further than that. Serious culture problem.

(for those that missed the former Dr, now Mr, Edlesten was in the Carlton coach's box last night)

Edited by Shahanga

• 5 weeks later...

UOTYH: The real monopoly rules are the best monopoly rules.

Pretty much all the common variations in rules either:

1. Remove tactical elements

2. Make the game more chance based rather than skill based (similar to #1)

3. Make the game take unnecesarily longer

• Like 1

UOTYH: The real monopoly rules are the best monopoly rules.

Pretty much all the common variations in rules either:

1. Remove tactical elements

2. Make the game more chance based rather than skill based (similar to #1)

3. Make the game take unnecesarily longer

When you play Monopoly is your major priority to privatise the trains and waterworks... and does it shit you that you cant do likewise to the Jail.

Holy shit, you're right, it should be possible to buy the jail.

And yes, I do enjoy purchasing the railroads and utilities.

Speaking of which, what kind of tactics do you guys usually use in Monopoly? I wing it and suffer for it

Seemingly everyone else is retarded so I just try to play while using my brains, but eventually the fact everyone else is retarded ends up fucking me over. For example, they can't see they have no hope of winning, and then when I offer them a trade that gives them a chance of winning they reject it because they don't think I'm being fair. So instead they go on with their position where they are unable to win.