Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

Daylight savings is the most outdated thing ever. It was originally brought in during WWI in Germany to reduce fuel costs by leaving lights off for an extra hour and it was adopted all over the world for the same reason. Obviously that would have worked back then but nowadays when people have their air conditioner, their tv, their fridge and whatever else running all day and night it doesn't make a difference and probably actually makes energy consumption worse due to it being hotter when the suns out meaning more air con. Super outdated and a pain in the arse.

UOTYH: Get rid of Daylight Saving, or at the very least go back to having it for four months instead of six. IMO it has lost its usefulness as working hours and leisure habits have changed.

Daylight Saving seems to be a sacred bloody cow that no one is ever allowed to criticise in any shape or form without being subject to endless ridicule.  The powers that be seem to just accept that OF COURSE we'd like it to go for 9 endless months.  3 months is way more than enough.  How about some light in the morning thanks?

UPOTIH - The AFL Footy Show is completely shit and not funny or informative.

"You're hairy Garry, it's funny cos you're hairy"

"Shut up Bill, you're fat"

"An absolute superstar from ... Football club" (mediocre player appears)"

"Street talk preys on people with mental health issues"

Foss plays dumb as if he has no idea what is going on but he's sharper than most of the guests when he wants to be.

Give me Sunday footy show / anything on fox footy every day of the week.

Edited by carlings
  • Like 5

UPOTIH - The AFL Footy Show is completely shit and not funny or informative.

"You're hairy Garry, it's funny cos you're hairy"

"Shut up Bill, you're fat"

"An absolute superstar from ... Football club" (mediocre player appears)"

"Street talk preys on people with mental health issues"

Foss plays dumb as if he has no idea what is going on but he's sharper than most of the guests when he wants to be.

Give me Sunday footy show / anything on fox footy every day of the week.

The show was much better when Eddie ran a tight ship... its not I am a massive Eddie fan but I don't think many would deny that it became too much of a Silly Boys Club once he left.

I never watch it anymore but when I have caught parts of it I actually feel sad seeing Sam in action these days because I thinking he's actually going senile and should probably be put into pasture.

He barely knows what is going on in regards to the AFL ladder... back in the 90's and prior he used to know these things and was even a Special Comments guy on 3AW and wasn't horrific at it either just a bit biased to Geelong. (Janet of Housewives I reckon is going senile as well FWIW).

Street Talk obviously lost its edge when attention seekers started hijacking it rather than when he went to Daylesford years ago and just bumped into wackos.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone from a long and proud military family backround I fully understand and respect the importance of recognizing the sacrifice some brave people made for freedoms we are lucky to have today..

but...

fuk me ANZAC Day is so boring and uninteresting and id honestly rather watch all 11 seasons of MASH 11 times then sit through 20 minutes of someone talking about the Gallipoli landing.

As someone from a long and proud military family backround I fully understand and respect the importance of recognizing the sacrifice some brave people made for freedoms we are lucky to have today..

but...

fuk me ANZAC Day is so boring and uninteresting and id honestly rather watch all 11 seasons of MASH 11 times then sit through 20 minutes of someone talking about the Gallipoli landing.

It seems this year especially there's been a lot of ANZAC related programs and advertising, which is strange since I can't remember such a fuss being made when there was Diggers still alive. Not saying it's a negative thing however. 

but...

It seems this year especially there's been a lot of ANZAC related programs and advertising, which is strange since I can't remember such a fuss being made when there was Diggers still alive. Not saying it's a negative thing however.

Its this centenary thing. It makes it more important because its been 100 years rather 67 or 83. Each to their own.

but...

Its this centenary thing. It makes it more important because its been 100 years rather 67 or 83. Each to their own.

It's only a "centenary" because we have a decimal number system.

But the thing that is getting to me is that the media seems to think that we all want to know about the "Gallipoli connections" that all these "celebrity" nobodies claim to have. Most of them probably don't even know where their local war memorial is.

And the trashy merchandise makes me sick.

It's only a "centenary" because we have a decimal number system.

But the thing that is getting to me is that the media seems to think that we all want to know about the "Gallipoli connections" that all these "celebrity" nobodies claim to have. Most of them probably don't even know where their local war memorial is.

And the trashy merchandise makes me sick.

As a migrant myself who's family fought on the other side this is what pisses me off the most. Sure like anyone I respect the service and sacrafices of troops etc etc but i hate the whole narrative of "Gallipoli connections" because to me it feels like a pissing contest of who is more connected with the ANZACs. 

It completely takes away from the reverence that the day deserves. It should be a time of sombre reflection but all the attention seems to be on who has the best connection to it all.

• Like 3

So now that 100 years have gone are they going to get rid of ANZAC day? Or is it just going to be eternally celebrated?

It's 100 years ago, move on.

I'm also a migrant, but of English origin. Connections to Gallipoli, but via those who served there in the British Army (yes, like the Kiwis, the French colonials, the Royal Navy, and the Turkish soldiers, they were actually there). As our population becomes ever more diverse I think ANZAC Day should morph into a real National Day. One both  of remembrance of where we've been and celebration of what we have become.

• Like 1

TBH I actually like ANZAC day, very convenient having a public holiday before your birthday every year.

Though not sure why it's legally on the same level as Good Friday and Christmas for part of the day and so most shops don't open till 1.

• Like 1

So now that 100 years have gone are they going to get rid of ANZAC day? Or is it just going to be eternally celebrated?

I think you are getting confused with Remembrance day. ANZAC day is a day of remembrance for not only those who served at Gallipoli, but those who have served Australia in all wars. It just has large significance because WWI was Australia's first participation in a major conflict.

Remembrance day is the day which specifically relates to WWI.

• Like 1

I think you are getting confused with Remembrance day. ANZAC day is a day of remembrance for not only those who served at Gallipoli, but those who have served Australia in all wars. It just has large significance because WWI was Australia's first participation in a major conflict.

Remembrance day is the day which specifically relates to WWI.

You're right, I thought it was the other way around TBH.

• Like 1

Remembrance day is the day which specifically relates to WWI. You're right, I thought it was the other way around TBH. I don't get why we have two tbh.

Remembrance Day is supposed to be the date that the treaty was signed to end the war no?

Remembrance day is the day which specifically relates to WWI. You're right, I thought it was the other way around TBH. I don't get why we have two tbh.

Remembrance Day is supposed to be the date that the treaty was signed to end the war no? Yes it is. That is an occasion to CELEBRATE.

Anzac day is an occasion to MOURN,GIVE THANKS, APPRECIATE etc just exactly what our grandfathers gave/sacrificed to make this country of ours so great.

I can see the difference.

Begging your pardon, but neither are days to celebrate. Both are for remembrance. Remembrance Day was originally associated with the First World War, but like ANZAC Day has morphed into something slightly different. The following comes straight from the Australian War memorial web-site:

"Four years later, in 1997, Governor-General Sir William Deane issued a proclamation formally declaring 11 November to be Remembrance Day, urging all Australians to observe one minute's silence at 11 am on 11 November each year to remember those who died or suffered for Australia's cause in all wars and armed conflicts."

Begging your pardon, but neither are days to celebrate. Both are for remembrance. Remembrance Day was originally associated with the First World War, but like ANZAC Day has morphed into something slightly different. The following comes straight from the Australian War memorial web-site:

"Four years later, in 1997, Governor-General Sir William Deane issued a proclamation formally declaring 11 November to be Remembrance Day, urging all Australians to observe one minute's silence at 11 am on 11 November each year to remember those who died or suffered for Australia's cause in all wars and armed conflicts."

As Remembrance day is the anniversary of the signing of peace treaties surely there is an element of celebration involved. Probably more so in earlier years than now.

Begging your pardon, but neither are days to celebrate. Both are for remembrance. Remembrance Day was originally associated with the First World War, but like ANZAC Day has morphed into something slightly different. The following comes straight from the Australian War memorial web-site:"Four years later, in 1997, Governor-General Sir William Deane issued a proclamation formally declaring 11 November to be Remembrance Day, urging all Australians to observe one minute's silence at 11 am on 11 November each year to remember those who died or suffered for Australia's cause in all wars and armed conflicts."

As Remembrance day is the anniversary of the signing of peace treaties surely there is an element of celebration involved. Probably more so in earlier years than now.

Don't worry, I don't think old mate jw likes me.

10/10 trolling. You've wound me up.

As some one who had direct forebears fight in both world wars for this country and am married to someone who had family who landed at Anzac cove on 25 April 1915 (& distinguished themselves), I find your post offensive.

Some mIgrants might not like it or understand it but for better or worse this is part of what built this country.

• Like 4

As some one who had direct forebears fight in both world wars for this country and am married to someone who had family who landed at Anzac cove on 25 April 1915 (& distinguished themselves), I find your post offensive.

Some mIgrants might not like it or understand it but for better or worse this is part of what built this country.This

Note: I haven't done a "This" post in years but this eerily similar to what I was gonna post as I also had relatives in both wars and at Anzac Cove.

Edited by cadete

Some mIgrants might not like it or understand it but for better or worse this is part of what built this country.

TBH I thought the first part of my post was a legitimate question, is it going to be 'celebrated' forever? I guess as a holiday for all those that have served Australians in wars that's fine but for a specific battle/war that has no other significance being celebrated longer than 100 years I dunno.

I've changed my mind a little though because, thinking about it, it's actually a more legitimate public holiday than most others (grand final weekend - lol, queens birthday - lol, christmas and easter - probably based on a fairy tale, labor day - lol, boxing day - how many people even know wtf boxing day is a celebration of?, etc.)

As for your last point, is there a significant amount of people that dont like ANZAC day? I really dont see on what grounds people wouldnt like it, plus people like public holidays in general. FWIW, I actually like ANZAC day, I mentioned the reason in another post, and if it wasnt for that reason I'd be indifferent to it like pretty much every other public holiday. I just dont get the point of celebrating it a specific battle/war with no other significance forever TBH (though now i've been informed that it is meant to be a holiday for all Australians serving in wars that makes a lot more sense - but you wouldnt know it based on how focused everything is on Gallipoli on this day).

Another thing, and I'm going to get myself in shit again for this, but UOTYH: I dont get the whole 'my great grandfather served in WW1' thing. OK, what does it have to do with you?

As you get older and inevitably closer to your own death you begin to appreciate and acknowledge those before you, especially those that lost their lives in their prime. When I was younger I was pretty indifferent on these sort of things but as you age you perspective changes.

Weather for the better is debatable.

• Like 2

As you get older and inevitably closer to your own death you begin to appreciate and acknowledge those before you, especially those that lost their lives in their prime. When I was younger I was pretty indifferent on these sort of things but as you age you perspective changes.

I disagree, I think many kids seem to be pretty appreciative and understanding about the significance of ANZAC Day and how fortunate we all are to live in a free country as a result of the sacrifices made throughout Australian history. 

I disagree, I think many kids seem to be pretty appreciative and understanding about the significance of ANZAC Day and how fortunate we all are to live in a free country as a result of the sacrifices made throughout Australian history.

Really?

I'm just going by my experiences growing up.