Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

It won't solve the worlds drug problem. Nothing will.

But after this ordeal, I guarantee young australians will have learnt to not touch drugs in bali.

Indo is corrupt as fuck, we all know that.

Its sad dont get me wrong that two people are about to die.

I just have to reiterate my point that, we know the punishment for drug crimes in bali is possibly death.

A harsh reality.

I don't feel sorry for convicted heroin traffickers who have to spend many years in jail. I do however feel sorry for convicted heroin traffickers who are being told they will be executed. Probably for the same reasons you are upset about your brother-in-law.

You do feel sorry for convicted traffickers who are being told they will die?

Comes back to my point of, they knew the rules, dont fuck with drugs in Indonesia.

I know it's harsh but fuck me, rule number one of traveling to indo, which has/should be ingrained on every Australian traveler is, fuck with drugs over there and you're fucked. End of.

You say for a civilised country to still use the death penalty is abhorrent to you (or something similar), the USA have the death penalty and last I checked they were pretty fucking civilised.

I personally think you are displaying a little casual racism towards our indonesian neighbours by calling them "uncivilized".

Their country, their rules.

Nobody will argue that what they did wasn't insanely fucking stupid. Everyone does stupid shit, some more stupid than others. Does that mean they deserve to die? You said yourself that "I know it's harsh".

And where in any of my posts have I even mentioned Indonesia? I never mentioned any country at all! In fact I even went as far as saying "forget about circumstance"! I was referring to the human race as a whole, and the fact that there seem to be a large percentage of the population (including Australia) that thinks in a way i feel is unsavoury. And for the record, there are other ways in which I feel the world is still uncivilised. The very fact the world still feels the need to spend billions of dollars on military instead of using that money to feed and clothe the poor and starving is pretty uncivilised as well! Let's face it, the human race still has a lot of evolving to do.

So in short, you can shove your claims of racism up your fucking arse! How's that for being uncivilised!

They were always going to face the firing squad and there is nothing we could have done to change there minds. The Netherlands and Brazil just went through the exact same thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/11353318/Brazil-and-Netherlands-recall-ambassadors-after-Indonesian-executions-for-drugs-offences.html

I personally don't believe in the death penalty, at the same time I don't think other country's should be trying to pressure Indonesia into using there style of justice. They broke there rules in there country they should be able to punish them however they see fit.

I have no issue with our government trying it's hardest to get them off their death sentence, I think it's actually the government's duty to help any of it's citizens that need help (within reason). But I draw the line at threatening another country in any way, whether it be by sanctions or boycotts, or (thankfully not in our case cuz it wouldn't end well) by force, as people have pointed out they are just carrying out their law.

• Like 1

I'm not defending the death penalty, but you say everyone does stupid shit, implying this was their first time smuggling drugs?

As an avid viewer of Banged Up Abroad, most drug smugglers seem to get caught after multiple runs....suspect that multiple trips to dodgy countries brings up a red flag for customs.

But maybe the show only chooses those stories to make the show more interesting

Edited by hedaik

I'm not defending the death penalty, but you say everyone does stupid shit, implying this was their first time smuggling drugs?

I didn't imply that at all. In fact I actually meant that people do stupid things and make many mistakes during their lives. But having said that, it wouldn't be a stretch to include a period in a person's life where they dealt/trafficked drugs multiple times as one big mistake.

Its too early for this shit old mate Pete.

Agree to disagree?

I'm not your mate! Ahhaaaa!!

Yeah, fair enough. I can understand why you in your position would be angry and upset about a situation like this (as much as we don't agree), and are probably more "qualified" to be than many who supposedly feel the same way. I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of people don't really grasp the magnitude of what they are actually saying. And that, in it's simplicity, is what I wanted people to do before they decided that other lives should be ended.

If you're stupid enough to smuggle drugs into Southeast Asia, you deserve to die.Darwinismnoun

The process by which, via natural selection, unfit specimens remove themselves from the gene pool.

FFS that really takes the cake as not only one of yours but one of this years dumbest posts...

I mean if you dont already know somebody who provides something to society that deserves to live that has fuckwits for parents (Which I am sure you do know of a few) then do yourself a favour on go on Wikipedia and you will quickly find millions of cases of such PPL throughout World History.

In fact seeing as I am bored here is one: Tony Cooke is a very well respected and well liked academic in WA and the bloke's dad was Eric Cooke who was Perth's worst and most infamous Serial Killer who killed at least Eight People mainly at random... and you know what mate - Eric Cooke was also the last man hung in Western ALustralia.So what your saying is that capital punishment improves their child's chance of contributing to society.... :hmm:That conclusion was almost as bad as Strider's but at least you didn't quote the work of Darwin to make it...

Yeah fuck that Darwin guy with his renowned evolutionary and natural selection theories :droy:

My point is not about Darwin himself, but how poorly you are trying to use his works to prove a very unrelated and dumb point... it's just plain retarded.

It's actually quite similar to how Hitler use to misinterpret the works of others to justify the lapses of basic human morality in his own Political Theory and Policies.

FFS I bet you are probably also one of those dumb kents that thinks Catholics dont believe in Evolution.

Edited by cadete

It won't solve the worlds drug problem. Nothing will.

But after this ordeal, I guarantee young australians will have learnt to not touch drugs in bali.

Indo is corrupt as fuck, we all know that.

Its sad dont get me wrong that two people are about to die.

I just have to reiterate my point that, we know the punishment for drug crimes in bali is possibly death.

A harsh reality.

On this, I agree.

I didn't imply that at all. In fact I actually meant that people do stupid things and make many mistakes during their lives. But having said that, it wouldn't be a stretch to include a period in a person's life where they dealt/trafficked drugs multiple times as one big mistake.

Agree to disagree?

Yeah, fair enough. I can understand why you in your position would be angry and upset about a situation like this (as much as we don't agree), and are probably more "qualified" to be than many who supposedly feel the same way. I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of people don't really grasp the magnitude of what they are actually saying. And that, in it's simplicity, is what I wanted people to do before they decided that other lives should be ended.

Fair enough Pete. So in that time assuming they have made multiple runs, perhaps even dozens...??? Of all the drugs they distributed how many have led to deaths because of them? How many lives have been ruined because of them? I think until you can sit back and have a look at just how many lives they have detroyed can you then make a judgement on these two guys. No death penalty should exist, but in Indonesia it does, and these guys were fully aware of it, so they now live with their consequences. I feel no pity for them whatsover, I do feel pity for their families in that they have ruined their lives through this.

Agree to disagree?

Fair enough Pete. So in that time assuming they have made multiple runs, perhaps even dozens...??? Of all the drugs they distributed how many have led to deaths because of them? How many lives have been ruined because of them? I think until you can sit back and have a look at just how many lives they have detroyed can you then make a judgement on these two guys. No death penalty should exist, but in Indonesia it does, and these guys were fully aware of it, so they now live with their consequences. I feel no pity for them whatsover, I do feel pity for their families in that they have ruined their lives through this.

I declined to comment on this out of respect for Sheepdog.

• Like 1

As an avid viewer of Banged Up Abroad, most drug smugglers seem to get caught after multiple runs....suspect that multiple trips to dodgy countries brings up a red flag for customs.

But maybe the show only chooses those stories to make the show more interesting Great show hedaik!

Agree to disagree?

Yeah, fair enough. I can understand why you in your position would be angry and upset about a situation like this (as much as we don't agree), and are probably more "qualified" to be than many who supposedly feel the same way. I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of people don't really grasp the magnitude of what they are actually saying. And that, in it's simplicity, is what I wanted people to do before they decided that other lives should be ended. Fair enough Pete. So in that time assuming they have made multiple runs, perhaps even dozens...??? Of all the drugs they distributed how many have led to deaths because of them? How many lives have been ruined because of them? I think until you can sit back and have a look at just how many lives they have detroyed can you then make a judgement on these two guys. No death penalty should exist, but in Indonesia it does, and these guys were fully aware of it, so they now live with their consequences. I feel no pity for them whatsover, I do feel pity for their families in that they have ruined their lives through this.

I declined to comment on this out of respect for Sheepdog. Thanks mate (not my mate really)

• Like 1

Having a Gay Round in the AFL is totally unnecessary.

I dont think there should be any special rounds. ANZAC recognition should be only for the games played on that day, Indigenous game for Essendon and Richmond, and if any other clubs want to setup a tribute game for something then thats up to them.  

• Like 1

I find it more awkward that they have made it in the pre-season whilst they've still got Women's Round, Indigenous Round, Umpires Round etc in the regular season. Almost as if they didn't want too many people to know about it.

Its going to cop a lot of flak and should be done subtly as first... but personally I think its a good idea because its recognising how a lot of gay PPL do follow AFL.

In ten years time Gay Marriage will be most likely be legal in this country as it is increasingly becoming more and more of an apolitical issue - So a Gay Round in a Sporting League really is not going to look so out of place. 

Its going to cop a lot of flak and should be done subtly as first... but personally I think its a good idea because its recognising how a lot of gay PPL do follow AFL.

In ten years time Gay Marriage will be most likely be legal in this country as it is increasingly becoming more and more of an apolitical issue - So a Gay Round in a Sporting League really is not going to look so out of place. 

I have the perfect meme for this topic. But it's definitely NOT appropriate for this thread.

Why bother though?

I mean, it's not like the regular rounds are known as 'White Male Straight Bloke, fuck all you other weirdos round'.

It's the classic thing of everyone is trying to be so accepting and careful not to offend minority groups, that it ends up discriminating even more than if they were able to just get on with it and be treated like they aren't anything special, vulnerable or rare. Because they're not. That's equality, everyone is equal.

Except gays aren't equal are they. Until they are this argument doesn't make sense.

Australia should feel ashamed that Alabama and the state where the "God hates fags" people are from got gay marriage before us.

Why bother though?

I mean, it's not like the regular rounds are known as 'White Male Straight Bloke, fuck all you other weirdos round'.

It's the classic thing of everyone is trying to be so accepting and careful not to offend minority groups, that it ends up discriminating even more than if they were able to just get on with it and be treated like they aren't anything special, vulnerable or rare. Because they're not. That's equality, everyone is equal.

Except gays aren't equal are they. Until they are this argument doesn't make sense.

Australia should feel ashamed that Alabama and the state where the "God hates fags" people are from got gay marriage before us.

Lol, but they're human aren't they? Therefore they are equal to all the rest of us, and shouldn't have the spotlight placed on them due to personal circumstance.

If the AFL was supporting Gay marriage rights, and named the round aptly so, then fair enough. But at the moment they have just selected one section of the community and marginalised them even further, by separating them from the rest of humanity.

I'll accept pushing for a cause, but having a celebration just because someone 'is' makes no sense and causes more damage than it heals.

Why bother though?

I am well known for being against positive discrimination I have posted regularly about that on this forum over the years but a Minor Football Round that celebrates Diverse Sexuality, Women, or the Indigenous are hardly a cases of unfair positive discrimination...

I mean who exactly is being unfairly discriminated against?

And I haven't seen any news of the PPL being celebrated in these rounds being annoyed due to discrimination.

And these rounds that the AFL has to celebrate "Minorities" (For want of a better word) hardly do it at the unjust expense of others.

Edited by cadete

And I think it should also be noted that I am someone who can remember every VFL/AFL Season fairly well since 1988/1989.

(I literally knew the whole Geelong squad by Jumper Numbers when I was six).

And I can tell you for a fact that everybody who has seen the game over this period that would agree the achievements made by the League in recognising Aboriginal PPL and there part in the game and the history of Australia in that time has been a fantastic achievement,

Edited by cadete

And I think it should also be noted that I am someone who can remember every VFL/AFL Season fairly well since 1988/1989.

And I can tell you for a fact that everybody who has seen the game over this period that would agree the achievements made by the League in recognising Aboriginal PPL and there part in the game and the history of Australia in that time has been a fantastic achievement,

They even handed a Brownlow, Norm Smith and premiership cup over to Essendon in one year just for it!

They even handed a Brownlow, Norm Smith and premiership cup over to Essendon in one year just for it! Yeah - Even as a Cats fan I still to this day reckon that was bloody Bullshit to Diesel.

• 4 weeks later...

We shouldn't be playing Good Friday.

As to anyone who says "but I'm an atheist" you should therefore spend the day at work (no OT) just like its the normal day you said it was.

(That should liven up the forum)

Athiest here, who would happily work/study on the friday.

In fact, I'm pissed off that there is an easter break, as it fucks up my study schedule, and I won't be given any shifts at work due to my 10 billion an hour pay rate.

• Like 1

As to anyone who says "but I'm an atheist" you should therefore spend the day at work (no OT) just like its the normal day you said it was.

Pls give us one sound reason why not.

Wasnt easter a pagan ritual originally?

I think you are thinking more about its links to the Jewish Holiday of Passover.

And as I just mentioned in another thread Catholics don't even have to attend mass on Good Friday like they are meant to for Holy Thursday and Easter Sunday.

If we shouldn't play on Good Friday, we shouldn't play on any Sunday. Our world has moved on from needing to pay so much respect to the Christian religion. That said, if it were shown to negatively affect crowds by a significant amount, of course we shouldn't play such days.

I think you are thinking more about its links to the Jewish Holiday of Passover.

And as I just mentioned in another thread Catholics don't even have to attend mass on Good Friday like they are meant to for Holy Thursday and Easter Sunday.

There are links to the earlier non-Christian goddess Eostre - from which English speakers derive the word "Easter." Bear in mind also that most Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter on a different date, because they use the Julian rather than the Gregorian calendar.

Personally I see nothing disrespectul, irreverent, anti-Christian, anti-religious, or whatever you want to say, about spending your time at Easter (or on any other festival or holiday) in whatever way you wish, provided you are not disrupting or annoying others who wish to spend their time differently. For me a rich civilisation is one that can accommodate diversity and one that, as far as possible, allows people to make their own choices.

There are links to the earlier non-Christian goddess Eostre - from which English speakers derive the word "Easter." Bear in mind also that most Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter on a different date, because they use the Julian rather than the Gregorian calendar.

Personally I see nothing disrespectul, irreverent, anti-Christian, anti-religious, or whatever you want to say, about spending your time at Easter (or on any other festival or holiday) in whatever way you wish, provided you are not disrupting or annoying others who wish to spend their time differently. For me a rich civilisation is one that can accommodate diversity and one that, as far as possible, allows people to make their own choices.

I have attended numerous AFL games on Easter Sunday with my family as a teen (Freo used to always play home games on Easter) and never seen a problem with it as somebody who identifies themselves as a Catholic (My parents being very Catholic) so I don't really have a problem with games being played on Good Friday.

The stadiums would just need to stock up on a few more boxes of Fish and Chips though for us Micks.. ESP if it was a Collingwood game.

This is a secular society so I'd argue we shouldn't have a public holiday for a religious holiday.

Though I think Christmas has been successfully commercialised enough now that it shouldn't be considered a religious holiday. Easter in general probably has been as well, but Good Friday itself probably not.

• Like 1

This is a secular society so I'd argue we shouldn't have a public holiday for a religious holiday.

Though I think Christmas has been successfully commercialised enough now that it shouldn't be considered a religious holiday. Easter in general probably has been as well, but Good Friday itself probably not.

Holiday=Holy Day.

Nevertheless, I agree with the line that your argument is taking. We should be capable, as a society, of recognising the difference between secular "holidays" (which I'll loosely describe as those associated with the Australian continent, the Commonwealth and its constituent States and Territories) and religious holy days. As our society becomes more diverse we are going to have more and more holy days spread over more and more religions, and we might as well start now to move to not treating just some of them as secular "holidays."

Actually I suspect that the Christian holy days will regain some of their lost significance if we do that.