Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

But why Shane Crawford? I dont see why Tour de Crawf would qualify him. In fact I dont understand why people sponsor people to do things like running/walking/cycling to raise money. All the people that donate money to these things should just donate their money without the need for someone to earn it for someone else or a research institute.

If in anyway what I said was interpreted as Crawford would be more worthy than Goodes. Hell No.

But why Shane Crawford? I dont see why Tour de Crawf would qualify him. In fact I dont understand why people sponsor people to do things like running/walking/cycling to raise money. All the people that donate money to these things should just donate their money without the need for someone to earn it for someone else or a research institute.

You are probably right in that those people should donate, but don't. I do fail to see how that should take away from Crawf's efforts at getting these people to donate. The fact is they don't donate and he has gone out of his way to do something to raise a lot of money to put toward charitable causes

• Like 3

UOTIH: Most people that claim to have Depression dont have depression and are using it as a cop out for being lazy or unmotivated.

This is a correct statement (although not so much the lazy or unmotivated part).

People go through depressed states, but they don't suffer from Depression; these two things are vastly different, but are so often confused.

Clinical depression is serious, and people who say they are feeling depressed are making light of a very grave issue.

• Like 1

Ye I mean we all go through some form of depression at some point in life. It's dangerous when its not caused by anything in particular.

Some people have a shit day and say they have depression, others suffer from a physical condition (Serotonin fucks up) and struggle through a lifetime (if they dont neck themselves) of being in the dumps.

I think the term is bandied about a bit too much by people of my generation and younger. May come hand in hand with the sense of self entitlement of these generations.

Some people need to harden the fuck up and realise that just because you are unhappy that you don't get what you want doesn't mean you have depression.

As stated above it does take away from those who genuinely suffer from depression.

• Like 6

I think the term is bandied about a bit too much by people of my generation and younger. May come hand in hand with the sense of self entitlement of these generations.

Some people need to harden the fuck up and realise that just because you are unhappy that you don't get what you want doesn't mean you have depression.

As stated above it does take away from those who genuinely suffer from depression.

See where you're going here. 

I reckon its pretty hard to self diagose depression (yes, personal experience) at the time.  It was only after several (six?) months that were frankly, pretty tough, that I managed to come out of it and looked back and said "WTF was that all about?"- I could see then I hadn't been well, but at when I'd b e gonig thorugh it I just couldn't see the wood for the trees.  Agree its not something to make light of. 

I feel that a lot of cases are self induced; as in sometimes it's easier to blame depression than to face up to the truth that its your own fault.

Generally in life it's easier to sit around and be reactive rather than go out and be proactive. As a result these people can't face up to the fact that their reactivity got them into the mess in the first place, so they blame everything else in the world for their problems.

Eventually that blame shift builds to a point where it can no longer be defended, so they claim they are depressed, again shifting the blame to something that isnt perceived as their fault.

Yeh look I'm not someone that has ever had issues like that, I tend to see the positives in most things so I guess I can never properly comprehend 'depression' but hmm I think there is merit in what I'm saying ha.

Anyway just my perceptions.

• Like 1

UOTYH: Umbrellas should be banned from the CBD. Or you should at least require a licence to use one.

Sick of having to slalom my way to and from work avoiding over-hanging umbrellas near my eyes.

That's why I wear a paintball mask to work

UOTYH: Umbrellas should be banned from the CBD. Or you should at least require a licence to use one.

Sick of having to slalom my way to and from work avoiding over-hanging umbrellas near my eyes.

Agree 100%.

Ive started swatting them out of my way.

Fuck them and their umbrella they rode in on

According to the media, it's seems my opinion, Melbourne Heart retaining its colours after the takeover, is unpopular.

I still believe that we will continue to be red & white come next season.

It seems that it's only media generated articles saying otherwise.

Adam Scott's a toss bag.

Presumed this was the majority opinion.

Why is it when someone from this country achieves something that no Australian has ever achieved, then for the next 12 months does everything in his powers to promote the game especially to juniors. But for a certain few it's not enough. They just refuse to acknowledge someone's passion especially for this country.

But hey, that's HeartFc.

• Like 1

Adam Scott's a toss bag.

Presumed this was the majority opinion.

Why is it when someone from this country achieves something that no Australian has ever achieved, then for the next 12 months does everything in his powers to promote the game especially to juniors. But for a certain few it's not enough. They just refuse to acknowledge someone's passion especially for this country.

But hey, that's HeartFc.

No mate, don't blame Heart for this.

Tall Poppy Syndrome has been around for a long time in this country.  Anyone succeeds all the losers want to bring them down to their level. 

• Like 1

People who abuse umpires are dickheads.

nothing pisses me off more than people who go to sporting events and abuse umpires, guess what? They're human and they are going to make mistakes, if you honestly think that your teak lost a game due to one or two decisions, you're a moron.

Its really sad to see kids umpiring domestically getting abused by people who should know better

• Like 2

nothing pisses me off more than people who go to sporting events and abuse umpires, guess what? They're human and they are going to make mistakes, if you honestly think that your teak lost a game due to one or two decisions, you're a moron.

Its really sad to see kids umpiring domestically getting abused by people who should know better

i umpire in the wrfl and i almost always expect it, i went to a game knowing its going to happen, but there nothing you can do about it unfortunately but just block it out and never take it personally. im sure other umpires are like this.

i umpire in the wrfl and i almost always expect it, i went to a game knowing its going to happen, but there nothing you can do about it unfortunately but just block it out and never take it personally. im sure other umpires are like this.

I hate it too, I also think that the A league refs cop it too much as well. 

ROFL...

• Like 1

i never said anything about hating it.. i may be an umpire, but i give my fair share of abuse to other referees and umpires. haha

Now if people liked you stopped umpiring because of the abuse, suddenly all the oxygen thief abusers would realise they didn't have a game without umpires.  They might have to have a crack themselves - suddenly the job wouldn't seem as easy!

Now if people liked you stopped umpiring because of the abuse, suddenly all the oxygen thief abusers would realise they didn't have a game without umpires.  They might have to have a crack themselves - suddenly the job wouldn't seem as easy!

I was a 1st Grade cricket umpire and ended up quitting because I didn't have thick enough skin to ignore the abuse. Its a tough gig because you have to care enough about the game to do your job well, but then not care about it when you make a mistake. Used to not be able to get to sleep at night because I'd just constantly dwell over decisions I had given. 

Edited by hedaik

I was a 1st Grade cricket umpire and ended up quitting because I didn't have thick enough skin to ignore the abuse. Its a tough gig because you have to care enough about the game to do your job well, but then not care about it when you make a mistake. Used to not be able to get to sleep at night because I'd just constantly dwell over decisions I had given. 

This used to happen to me. 

Ive turned into someone who can hide the abuse well, but on the inside it is really killing me.

but i now have problems even talking on an internet forum because i take things personally when it isnt.

Umpiring has ruined me haha

Been both a basketball ref and a footy umpire and know exactly how you feel. At the end of the day you have to remember that its just a game and the decisions you've made are final, so theirs no way you can go back and change what you did. Just reflect on what you think you did poorly, and try to improve on those aspects next time you ref, or so that's what my ref adviser told me.

More or less bought this up because on the weekend i went down to watch my local footy teams reserves, and there is such an ump shortage that each team now has to provide an on field umpire for the game (which is disgraceful on the leagues part) and the amount of abuse they copped from players/ spectators were unbelievable considering they had volunteered to come down and ump, and if they hadn't there wouldn't of been a game.

I've known too many good refs/ump who have quit due to the abuse, quite sad tbh, theres just some people out their who treat u12's like its the afl unfortuantly.

My girlfriend's dad is a goal umpire in the O&M, one of the nicest blokes but god he cops so much shit, and he's not even a field ump.

Being critical is one thing (and let's face it, we've all had our fair share of being critical regarding certain refs) but abuse is just unacceptable at all levels, it's no bloody wonder why the numbers are declining.