Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

I saw David Williams today on Lygon St on the way to work. He was driving some hot blonde in the car!

Someone should let her know he has problem with finishing and tends to blow outside the target

He can also be a bit selfish and shoot prematurely!

He gets plenty of power and drive behind it though, don't cut him too short  ;)

I saw David Williams today on Lygon St on the way to work. He was driving some hot blonde in the car!

Someone should let her know he has problem with finishing and tends to blow outside the target

He can also be a bit selfish and shoot prematurely!

since Williams has experience across the forward line, at least she'll know she can at least try him in a range of positions then.

and if it still doesn't work she can just pull him off and go for a substitute.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

Having selected to "pick up at first home game" when purchasing my membership,

does anyone know if the tent will be up by 1 oclock?

Keen to see the VPL grand final (but not to fork out another $17)

I'm sure if you ask around and explain the situation, you will get a good result.

6367 at 3pm...not much of a change from yesterday.

I'd say the games against WSW and SFC are our last chance of getting a lot more people to jump on board as members.

WSW because they bring this 'new red boys on the block' rivalry about them and SFC because of ADP. Hopefully he's fit by Round 6!

6367 at 3pm...not much of a change from yesterday.

I'd say the games against WSW and SFC are our last chance of getting a lot more people to jump on board as members.

WSW because they bring this 'new red boys on the block' rivalry about them and SFC because of ADP. Hopefully he's fit by Round 6!

I reckon with the 5 game memberships we should sit somewhere around about 7,200 to 7,500 as our final figure. A good figure but as stated before in another thread many people just seem to buy memberships so they can attend the derbies. At least we get the money out of them but.......Speaking of which when did the 5 game memberships come out last season?

Would anyone have the approximate figures on how many 5 game memberships were sold last year aswell?

Edited by RoyalHeart

Another perspective on this. If, as was indicated previously, on average only 40% of members attend any given match, then against CCM we had around 2,400 members present and therefore some 6,000 walk-ups. Let's say there were 60% of the members there, then that's still only 3,600 members and therefore 5,000-odd walk-ups.

On the way home in the train happened to sit opposite a fellow, 30-40 with young son 8-10, youngster decked out in a new Heart top. We exchanged a few pleasantries.They go to 4-5 games a year. Never been members, never thought about it, and the point that got me was they knew nothing about membership - cost etc. etc.

Got me thinking. I know I'm repeating myself, but instead of that so-called announcer screeching into the microphone trying to hype up something or other, why not give out information about memberships - grades, costs, etc. put the web-site address, the Heart HQ membership hotline, etc. etc. up on the screen? We've got people inside the ground sufficiently motivated to come and watch, many have bought merchandise, so why not try and get them to become more involved with the club? Talk about the Academy, NYL players, next home match - anything useful or interesting about the club.

I don't mean to be critical, but it seems to me we're missing an opportunity. I would even go so far as having special offers for people already attending the first couple of games in the season - present today's ticket, take out a season membership, and we'll discount the cost by 5% or give you a free cap or whatever.

• Like 6

Let's be realistic here; there was not 8,700 fans at AAMI Park on Saturday between the hours of 5:30pm-7:30pm.

There would've been 6,500-6,700 at best (by my guestimation) and they're counting the roughly 2,000-2,200 people who attended the VPL grand final in that figure.

If I'm correct, then that's something to worry about because if our supporters are not going to come to our first home game on a sunny 27 degree day, when are they gonna come?

Let's be realistic here; there was not 8,700 fans at AAMI Park on Saturday between the hours of 5:30pm-7:30pm.

There would've been 6,500-6,700 at best (by my guestimation) and they're counting the roughly 2,000-2,200 people who attended the VPL grand final in that figure.

If I'm correct, then that's something to worry about because if our supporters are not going to come to our first home game on a sunny 27 degree day, when are they gonna come?

No way there was 2K at the VPL Grand Final.

There weren't 2,000 people for the VPL grand final.

It's not the right thread, but while we're at it, Bentleigh and Northcote don't have big fan bases from what I've seen. The year before, Dandenong had good numbers, partly explaining the higher crowd for the same fixture last year.

Edited by Sash

The official attendance. Guesses and estimates are not reliable - by definition.

Attendances and memberships are driven by all sorts of factors. Unless we import the equivalent of a Beckham then there's no magic bullet that will suddenly put us on a par with clubs who can draw 16,000-21,000.

Other than that, we're going to have to earn the respect of the public of Melbourne. It's been pointed out many times that every time (or perhaps almost every time) we've been on the point of delivering something that might help our cause, we've shot ourselves in the foot. We did it again on Saturday - 2-0 up against the champions and our bogey side and we threw the game away. Two experienced players in our so-called rock-solid defence threw the game away.

Let's face the bloody facts here. Only tragics like me continue to financially and physically support a club that does this so regularly.

• Like 1

It concerns me that a fair proportion of our members will only attend home games if they have nothing better to do, but that almost anything else is something better to do :wub:

Maybe the club could also give you a discount of a subsequent membership if you've attended a certain number of home games. It really shouldn't have to come down to money though, we just aren't igniting the passion in a large proportion of our members yet alone non-members

Edited by belaguttman

Well I believe the latter, he sure showed us with his views on button up polos :up:

You still hurting over that mate? Perhaps a tea-spoon of concrete may do the trick  ;)

I can categorically confirm (from my own observations) that there were definitely not 8,743 fans on Saturday for the Heart Vs CCM match! They are definitely counting the VPL GF tickets in that total figure, it may have not been 2k+ (I was not there), but I can confidently say that there was less than 8k watching the Heart match.

Another perspective on this. If, as was indicated previously, on average only 40% of members attend any given match, then against CCM we had around 2,400 members present and therefore some 6,000 walk-ups. Let's say there were 60% of the members there, then that's still only 3,600 members and therefore 5,000-odd walk-ups.

On the way home in the train happened to sit opposite a fellow, 30-40 with young son 8-10, youngster decked out in a new Heart top. We exchanged a few pleasantries.They go to 4-5 games a year. Never been members, never thought about it, and the point that got me was they knew nothing about membership - cost etc. etc.

Got me thinking. I know I'm repeating myself, but instead of that so-called announcer screeching into the microphone trying to hype up something or other, why not give out information about memberships - grades, costs, etc. put the web-site address, the Heart HQ membership hotline, etc. etc. up on the screen? We've got people inside the ground sufficiently motivated to come and watch, many have bought merchandise, so why not try and get them to become more involved with the club? Talk about the Academy, NYL players, next home match - anything useful or interesting about the club.

I don't mean to be critical, but it seems to me we're missing an opportunity. I would even go so far as having special offers for people already attending the first couple of games in the season - present today's ticket, take out a season membership, and we'll discount the cost by 5% or give you a free cap or whatever.

Surely this is a 'hot topic' for the Rep group. People who turn up to AAMI buying tickets for the game should also immediately be 'accosted' by a HeartFC person asking about taking out membership with some inducement if necessary. Agree with the announcer stuff but the face-to-face approach would work better IMO.

• Like 1

It concerns me that a fair proportion of our members will only attend home games if they have nothing better to do, but that almost anything else is something better to do :wub:

Maybe the club could also give you a discount of a subsequent membership if you've attended a certain number of home games. It really shouldn't have to come down to money though, we just aren't igniting the passion in a large proportion of our members yet alone non-members

Bela, I suspect quite a few of our members buy a membership knowing full well that they are not going to attend many matches. They do it because they want to support the club (for whatever reason) and when they do decide to go they can just rock up five minutes before KO and wander in. Remember that we're dealing with human beings here, not rational, logical machines with no emotion.

We're no longer dealing with the sort of supporter who for 40 years stood in the same spot behind the goal at Gigg Lane.

Look at the result. First home game, bagful of new players, but same old crap result. Of course we're not igniting any passion.

Has been stagnated for a couple of days now....as I said we won't see a large increase till the 5 gamers come in. In terms of the crowd Saturday I think there were probably 8k there just but still that's not a great figure for first game of season on a bright sunny day and we all probably have a right to be worried about where these numbers are going to come from. All we can do is continue to bring our mates to the game, hope they enjoy it and incrementally grow the club. I am as impatient as they come but we just have to wait for good results, and probably 5 years before we start seeing consistent crowds of 12k+. 

• Like 2

Has been stagnated for a couple of days now....as I said we won't see a large increase till the 5 gamers come in. In terms of the crowd Saturday I think there were probably 8k there just but still that's not a great figure for first game of season on a bright sunny day and we all probably have a right to be worried about where these numbers are going to come from. All we can do is continue to bring our mates to the game, hope they enjoy it and incrementally grow the club. I am as impatient as they come but we just have to wait for good results, and probably 5 years before we start seeing consistent crowds of 12k+.

So your saying that it is gonna take 5 years to gain 4,000 people, I think we will gain a lot more in that time