Melbourne Football

The Sauce Bottles - Central Coast Mariners

KSK_47

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

And now Corey Gamiero. Clisby is a massive improvement on Josh Rose at LB and Gamiero is a good Blake Powell replacement. Looks like their season will hinge on signing a striker who can score on a regular basis and  creative midfielder if DDS leaves.

I note that they're both on 1-season contracts. Good move by Mulvey IMO.

I actually rate Clisby quite highly, he was solid defensively for us and seemed to really improve his attacking side at Wanderers. He's been copping a lot of grief on social media as being recycled garbage, but I think he's better than a number of the left backs at most clubs in this league.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Any word on whether or not DeSilva has trained at all with the mariners? I heard a lot of talk about him refusing to do so and supposedly he was going to Sydney but havent heard a peep on the matter in a couple weeks.

The A-League still shows him as a confirmed member of the CCM squad for next season. Last I read is that CCM's owner Mike Charlesworth is refusing to let him leave the club. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/charlesworth-vows-to-stop-on-strike-de-silva-walking-out-on-mariners The various articles on De Silva confirm that he is not coming to us.

• 1 month later...

Saw the "highlights", fuck me his first touch was basically getting falconed, followed by a couple nothing touches and then missing a tap at the back post coz he didn't anticipate it. The "defenders" which mean "marking" him literally let him recover from his horrible first touches instead of just toe poking the ball away. After the final whistle he complained to a team mate who didn't pass the ball down the line to him quick enough.

Summing up, he had the debut of a 32 year old sprinter.

Edited by HeartFc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I feel a bit sorry for Central Coast actually. McCormack isn't coming back - loan deal to Motherwell very likely. They just can't take a trick at the moment.

Start a game well only for an idiot to go out of his way to get 2 yellows, then cop a dodgy pen.

Having said that though I thought they were poor in the second half. Conceding 5 goals- just terrible really.

44 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Start a game well only for an idiot to go out of his way to get 2 yellows, then cop a dodgy pen.

Having said that though I thought they were poor in the second half. Conceding 5 goals- just terrible really.

What do you do with a player such as Cisse? Come to that, Griffiths did much the same for us, but we're a better side and had Galekovic in superb form. Imagine the Forum if we had dropped points against WSW because of Griffiths.

2 foreign spots available to strengthen the squad with Ross gone. They're really not a bad XI just have a terrible keeper and make continual brain farts at the worst times. If you added a decent foreign keeper and a striker they'd start getting some points. After last night you'd imagine Cisse is done with as well, if you could replace him with a decent centre back they'd be in a real good place because they controlled that game until the red card.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, MCMLIII said:

Watched the game while at the pub. Loved the first 59 minutes. Serves them right for wasting their pre-season on Usain Bolt rather than looking for real soccer talent.

Given they signed McCormack and Oar preseason, you could argue the whole Bolt circus wasn't the catalyst for their season.

In particular, injury curse (including McCormack) has killed their season more than anything.

What is truly sad for me is that the Mariners need all the help they can get when it comes to brand awareness. To be as shite as they are just killed any boost they got from Bolts training

The Mariners problems start with Mike Charlesworth who is running the show on a shoestring budget then a coach who has fallen out with the playing group witness Jack Clisby’s comments immediately after the game. Add the Usain Bolt distraction and you have a disaster. The alternate universe had Graham Arnold taking the team to silverware so things can turn around. But the Mariners current predicament might also point to the need to move to an independent A-league where owners can invest in their clubs and share in the returns that the league can generate rather than the FFA 100% dictating returns to the clubs. Salary cap is another issue and down the track full relegation and promotion that will make all games ‘matter’ rather than currently where there is no penalty for poor performance.

3 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

The Mariners problems start with Mike Charlesworth who is running the show on a shoestring budget then a coach who has fallen out with the playing group witness Jack Clisby’s comments immediately after the game. Add the Usain Bolt distraction and you have a disaster. The alternate universe had Graham Arnold taking the team to silverware so things can turn around. But the Mariners current predicament might also point to the need to move to an independent A-league where owners can invest in their clubs and share in the returns that the league can generate rather than the FFA 100% dictating returns to the clubs. Salary cap is another issue and down the track full relegation and promotion that will make all games ‘matter’ rather than currently where there is no penalty for poor performance.

Having 3000 people show up (i don't know their membership numbers) is more than likely imply that they are running at a financial loss. So the owners would be bleeding money. As for the players, well they are unlikely to get other offers so back to the NPL and a daytime job. How many senior players for teh Gold Coast and Northern Fury went on to have a stellar career? So I don't think that there is no penalty.

17 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Having 3000 people show up (i don't know their membership numbers) is more than likely imply that they are running at a financial loss. So the owners would be bleeding money. As for the players, well they are unlikely to get other offers so back to the NPL and a daytime job. How many senior players for teh Gold Coast and Northern Fury went on to have a stellar career? So I don't think that there is no penalty.

Shane Smeltz, David Williams, GolGol, Osama Malik, Glen Moss, Rostyn Griffiths - not exactly stellar careers but could have been worse.