Melbourne Football

The Sauce Bottles - Central Coast Mariners

KSK_47

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Shane Smeltz, David Williams, GolGol, Osama Malik, Glen Moss, Rostyn Griffiths - not exactly stellar careers but could have been worse.

I'd add Jack Hingert, Dino Djulbic, Adama Traore, Josh Brilliante, Ben Halloran, Chris Harrold and Daniel Bowles. 

Those teams injected a lot of senior talent into the A-League.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I'd add Jack Hingert, Dino Djulbic, Adama Traore, Josh Brilliante, Ben Halloran, Chris Harrold and Daniel Bowles. 

Those teams injected a lot of senior talent into the A-League.

And have the other clubs have done all that much better?

What I do find interesting is that both Gold Coast United and NQF still exist, but as NPL clubs. It's not as if they have collapsed and disappeared. And there was no need for NQF to fail as an A-League club either - IIRC Singapore interests wanted to save the club via a takeover but FFA refused to allow, but here we are 8 seasons later with at least three clubs owned by overseas interests. NQF's attendances were't too bad either.

• Like 1

Not really out of respect for the source, other than the source was from inside one of the clubs and very high up on that chain.

Stajic got what he deserved, but the FFA werent able to out him without a hell of a lot of collateral damage to the team hence the silence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Alen Stajcic confirmed as CCM's coach - contract until 2022.

This will be interesting. I am not aware of how many coaches from teh women's leagues have successfully transferred across but I can't imagine t would be a huge step. More pertinent will be whether the issues that the FFA claim but we are not allowed to know (not even Stajcic is allowed) will be preset at CCM.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

This will be interesting. I am not aware of how many coaches from teh women's leagues have successfully transferred across but I can't imagine t would be a huge step. More pertinent will be whether the issues that the FFA claim but we are not allowed to know (not even Stajcic is allowed) will be preset at CCM.

I dont buy Stajic doesnt know. He just knows that FFA won't put it out there because of the mess it will cause, and is taking full advantage of it.

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

I dont buy Stajic doesnt know. He just knows that FFA won't put it out there because of the mess it will cause, and is taking full advantage of it.

I’ve not followed this story. What’s the ‘it’ you’re referring to? Do you have any inside info you’re able to share? 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I’ve not followed this story. What’s the ‘it’ you’re referring to? Do you have any inside info you’re able to share? 

I'd rather not online but feel free to come ask me on game day :)

• 1 year later...

I think a lot of it comes down to bucking the trend that everyone else is obsessed with, passing it about aimlessly and playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. The Mariners work hard and can bomb the ball forward to relieve pressure or start an attack and have Simon and their other striker to win the ball instead of your standard lone striker against 2 centre backs constantly. Whoever works with their defence deserves a role at Barcelona, they're exceptionally well drilled and defend with their lives. On paper they look like one of the worst back fours in recent memory but they're putting in stellar performances every week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I think a lot of it comes down to bucking the trend that everyone else is obsessed with, passing it about aimlessly and playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. The Mariners work hard and can bomb the ball forward to relieve pressure or start an attack and have Simon and their other striker to win the ball instead of your standard lone striker against 2 centre backs constantly. Whoever works with their defence deserves a role at Barcelona, they're exceptionally well drilled and defend with their lives. On paper they look like one of the worst back fours in recent memory but they're putting in stellar performances every week.

Having the most experienced coach in the league, who has been there over a year, is also an important factor.

4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Spot on. For me CCM are playing football the way it is supposed to be played. Long may it continue.

8 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I wonder whether they would have the engine to maintain that level for the full season, specially since the breaks between games are so variable.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I wonder whether they would have the engine to maintain that level for the full season, specially since the breaks between games are so variable.

Well, they're 11 matches into a 26-match season and 7 points clear, and the cooler months are on us now. I'd say they're looking handily placed coming up to the half-way distance.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, they're 11 matches into a 26-match season and 7 points clear, and the cooler months are on us now. I'd say they're looking handily placed coming up to the half-way distance.

3 games is a long time. 

Let's see where they are after 14 matches. 

I don't think they are much chop especially at the pointy end of the season. 

• 1 month later...

Wow. And if this goes ahead I wonder what will happen to their "Centre of Excellence" that they have in Gosford?

But overall I would think a good move to the northern suburbs of Sydney.

Edit: Didn't CCM have an association with another English club at one stage? One of the Sheffield clubs?

Edited by jw1739

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The deal as announced is purchasing the licence, folding CCM and starting a new Sydney club. 
Charming. Wouldn’t expect less of Man U.

No doubt to play in red. They're learning from their east Manchester rivals aren't they? Adelaide to object to red shirts, as will Sydney United (Sydney Croatia) against another club wanting to use their name...

Now why don't they buy Melbourne Victory instead....?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No doubt to play in red. They're learning from their east Manchester rivals aren't they? Adelaide to object to red shirts, as will Sydney United (Sydney Croatia) against another club wanting to use their name...

Now why don't they buy Melbourne Victory instead....?

And move THEM to Sydney?

Great Idea!

There has been a bit in the press about Man Utd looking to potentially buy CCM and move them to North Sydney.

I'm not convinced however. I think this is a false flag. If United wanted the club they would have purchased it last year when it was not in form. If they were to purchase it now it would cost them more.  

No, I think the big secret is that United want to buy Victory. Think about it - it makes commercial sense to have subsidiaries of the two Manchester teams playing each other in the same city. That way, to some degree, the Manchester derby can be replicated here in Melbourne. Also for a big club like United it makes sense to buy a team with a large supporter base. CCM makes no sense on that metric.

Also Victory are on their knees at the moment which makes it an ideal time to purchase the club at a bargain cost.

So my bet is that United secretly want to buy Victory. I can't wait to see the reaction of the Victory supporters to the news (if it eventuates) that their colors would change to red and yellow.

And that 'Victory' name is looking a bit tired so that would have to go too.

Welcome Melbourne United! 

Edited by TheStig

Looks like Kuol is indeed off to Stuttgart.

I wish him well, however I can’t help but feel he’s making the wrong move. The kid has an eye for goal, but he’s super raw. He’s not even a regular starter yet.

He goes over there he’ll get the shock of his life I reckon. Even getting on the field in their U23s will be tough (remember Amini at Dortmund?). Another season here where he could start playing 90 minutes would prepare him so much better.

More money to pay bills at Gosford though.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they rediscover their form before sliding too far. The Mariners resurgence that nobody expected has been one of my highlights of this A-League season. 

As long as it isn't at our expense, I hope they finish 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It’s quite remarkable they are still 2nd. 
For those not following it they needed a “just enough to not get overturned” penalty against Newcastle to win the game. Scrapped home against the Tards too. Currently they look a bottom 4 side to me.

Such a great and consistent start to the season will do that!

Credit to them. After us, they have Macarthur, Newcastle and Western United so there's every possibility they'll retain 2nd.

• 5 weeks later...