Melbourne Football

The Sauce Bottles - Central Coast Mariners

KSK_47

Apparently the break even is 6k at North Sydney while it's 10k at bluetongue. What the fuck, Gosford council clearly doesn't want a soccer team, and it won't last. Unfortunate for the fans.

I don't get it either. I have yet to see the North Sydney Stadium in person but if the break even amount is lower than Bluetongue then it is not a flashy stadium either for North Sydney Council to demand a higher lease. so Gosford council must be asking way too much from CCM. But what perplex me too that Shitney FC is not happy that CCM intend to be in their "territory". WTF? Anfield and Goodison Park is soo close to each other that if one farts the other can hear it and it hasn't been an issue competitive-wise. 

Apparently the break even is 6k at North Sydney while it's 10k at bluetongue. What the fuck, Gosford council clearly doesn't want a soccer team, and it won't last. Unfortunate for the fans.

I don't get it either. I have yet to see the North Sydney Stadium in person but if the break even amount is lower than Bluetongue then it is not a flashy stadium either for North Sydney Council to demand a higher lease. so Gosford council must be asking way too much from CCM. But what perplex me too that Shitney FC is not happy that CCM intend to be in their "territory". WTF? Anfield and Goodison Park is soo close to each other that if one farts the other can hear it and it hasn't been an issue competitive-wise.

Liverpool and Everton are over 100 years old in a football mad country, you are comparing apples with oranges.

Quite possibly the overheads are more to do with the way the stadium is set up for staffing and security?? I think north Sydney oval is more like a rural venue isn't it, sorta like the albury setup??

It's basically your standard Australian cricket oval first used as such in 1867. Needs no further description - Google images will help complete the picture. I'm surprised that FFA would countenance playing even one match there.

• 1 month later...

There is a pretty good chance that that promotion played a big part in CCM getting smashed.

Arnold is a legend up there and if the rumours are true he was the one who kept that club together when they weren't paying players and weren't even getting the ground mowed. Meanwhile under him they were one of the top teams in the league.

It's pretty clear all the current managers achieved by their infantile campaign was to get their players off side.

There is a pretty good chance that that promotion played a big part in CCM getting smashed.

Arnold is a legend up there and if the rumours are true he was the one who kept that club together when they weren't paying players and weren't even getting the ground mowed. Meanwhile under him they were one of the top teams in the league.

It's pretty clear all the current managers achieved by their infantile campaign was to get their players off side.

That's pretty much verified here: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/pre-game-jibes-hurt-mariners-players-arnold/1gezhgij2doeq15vgubyc02sqb

• 2 weeks later...

The disappointing aspect of that report is that whilst ccm seem to think they can get youth players from Everton we seem to be unable to get them from Man City.

So we got a mention:

"It’s fantastic news for not only the Mariners, but the A-League that we’ve got a real tangible link with an English Premier League club off the back of what Manchester City is doing with Melbourne City,” Moss said.

Every relationship will be a bit different. Ours is to fly the Manchester City and get Villa on a four week break while for CCM it appears to be to test out Everton youth to see who can step it up and who will end up in the A-league or in the Philippines. I'd rather have .....

The disappointing aspect of that report is that whilst ccm seem to think they can get youth players from Everton we seem to be unable to get them from Man City.

So we got a mention:

"It’s fantastic news for not only the Mariners, but the A-League that we’ve got a real tangible link with an English Premier League club off the back of what Manchester City is doing with Melbourne City,” Moss said.

Every relationship will be a bit different. Ours is to fly the Manchester City and get Villa on a four week break while for CCM it appears to be to test out Everton youth to see who can step it up and who will end up in the A-league or in the Philippines. I'd rather have .....

I'd say my biggest disappointment in the new ownership model has been our failure to bring a single Man City player to Melbourne. I know I'm repeating myself, but what was the point in trialling a couple of their youngsters (Evans and Davies) and then doing nothing? Meanwhile we waste a senior squad spot on Retre (and possibly another couple as well), and re-sign Velaphi when ManC have no fewer than four GKs in their EDS squad.

The reasons for not bringing in even one player are generally touted as the restrictions on the number of visa players, and the salary cap. It's going to be very interesting to see whether CCM can get around these restrictions and actually bring an Everton player or two to Gosford. If they can and we can't it becomes a question of list management, and City fans should quite rightly be demanding some answers. IMO we are poor at list management. I think we have made the wrong choice on our Australian marquee (it should have been Mooy) and we should have stayed clear of Kennedy. Our present injury situation is terrible (and on Germano, what more can anyone say?). And offering certain players two-year contract extensions when no-one else is interested in them seems the height of folly to me.

I still think in the end we will see the benefit on the field of being part of CFG, but I share the view that prima facie so far it seems less about winning and more about painting everything sky-blue, overseas junkets, and brand image.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

So we got a mention:

I'd say my biggest disappointment in the new ownership model has been our failure to bring a single Man City player to Melbourne. I know I'm repeating myself, but what was the point in trialling a couple of their youngsters (Evans and Davies) and then doing nothing? Meanwhile we waste a senior squad spot on Retre (and possibly another couple as well), and re-sign Velaphi when ManC have no fewer than four GKs in their EDS squad.

The reasons for not bringing in even one player are generally touted as the restrictions on the number of visa players, and the salary cap. It's going to be very interesting to see whether CCM can get around these restrictions and actually bring an Everton player or two to Gosford. If they can and we can't it becomes a question of list management, and City fans should quite rightly be demanding some answers. IMO we are poor at list management. I think we have made the wrong choice on our Australian marquee (it should have been Mooy) and we should have stayed clear of Kennedy. Our present injury situation is terrible (and on Germano, what more can anyone say?). And offering certain players two-year contract extensions when no-one else is interested in them seems the height of folly to me.

I still think in the end we will see the benefit on the field of being part of CFG, but I share the view that prima facie so far it seems less about winning and more about painting everything sky-blue, overseas junkets, and brand image.

I've said it before but I'm of the opinion that any City youngster willing to come here wouldn't be good enough to warrant the use of a visa spot, and I can see salary being an issue as well. The City youngsters who are good enough wouldn't want to come here.

The difference for CCM is they're a low budget club and most likely can't do better with their visa spots. Actually the loan rule works both ways, it helps these low budget teams get up to the minimum salary in the salary cap rules without actually paying that salary. So for a club like CCM it makes sense, for us it doesn't.

CCM striker Mitchell Duke signing a pre agreement to join Japanese club S - Pulse 2 year deal. Fee is $ 257,000 to CCM. Medical required.

Moss gone - aloisi among a couple potential coaches, might aswell fold if they take him, crowds would get even smaller

Edited by Thrillhouse

• 1 month later...

I can't believe they took so long to replace this guy, never for one moment did he show he was good enough.    On the plus side "better than Aloisi" on the minus side, worst than almost everyone else.

I wish they had waited till we played them though.  Now that this dill isn't in charge maybe they'll have a chance.

Why they didn't sack him the day after Mulvey was available is lost on me.

Edited by Shahanga

• 1 month later...

Been a lot of chat on this forum about CCM in relation to the salary cap and future of the league, so I thought I might flesh that out a bit.

Central Coast started the A League really well but have been struggling more recently, so the casual observer might ask "what's gone wrong?"

To me from the beginning whilst they had a lot of issues, one thing they did really well was get their coaching right.

1. Lawrie McKenna.  The initial A league was a lower standard then the comp now and thus McKenna was able to get away with an approach of limited players playing a prescriptive, boring, counterattacking style.  McKenna was extraordinarily successful on the field, when you consider the (low) quality of players he had at his disposal.

Eventually the league moved on and so did the Mariners.

2. Graham Arnold.  Seems like a no-brainer now but at the time it was a controversial choice to many.  Arnold had one stint as the gaffer (for Australia no less) and had failed spectacularly.  To me though that was a superficial assessment of his career.  He had a number years under Farina, which would have been a good base and then had spent a year at "finishing school" under one of the best coaches in the world, Guus Hiddink.  A lot of punters had marked his card hard because of Australia's poor performance at the Asian Cup, but actually they'd overlooked the details.  He'd taken over an experienced team of players, many of whom who had played with him and probably (quite rightly) believed they were better players than him.  He was managing in a tournament in the tropics, but had stars who'd come straight out of a european winter.  His main problem though was he wasn't appointed coach.  To have any authority over the group he needed the FFA's backing and they didn't give it, he was  "interim coach" or some such and didn't have the authority to take a strong hand with older players not suited to the climate.  So he learnt a hard lesson there about needing authority and leading (and i think its no coincidence now he's regarded as unquestionably the boss).  He followed that with some time under Veerbek, again exposing him to different ideas and approaches.

At CCM he was able to bring success on the field coupled with smart recruitment and development, so that they could continually bring in new talented young players whilst selling their better players for (ridiculously) high prices into Asia.

Things were still tough at CCM but under Arnold they had a great culture and a decent business model.

3. Moss.

Under Moss it all fell apart.  Poor on the field, poor recruits.  No chance to sell any overrated players for big money to desperate clubs in Asia.  No extra income and suddenly they no longer have a business model.

So there you go.  Its a bit of no brainer really isn't it?  Hire a good coach but at the CCMs of this world they need to excel at development, so you can on sell your players.  Of course getting players to play out of their skin so you can sell them for several times their value helps as well.

I still think they need Mulvey.

• 1 month later...

Fold this club. Seriously give the licence to Wollongong or Canberra instead. They are obsessed with building a shit team full of UK lower league rejects. Will easily be last next season.

Montgomery's been pretty good for them imo, but I too expect them to finish last providing Newcastle finally gets their shit together.

O'Donovan seems like an extremely terrible signing on the surface.

If they can find more in the mould of Hughes, Doig and Montgomery and less of the likes of Bazeley, Miller and McMahon they'll be doing well. It wouldn't be hard to find some guys playing in League 1 that would shit all over a majority of our foreign signings since day 1.