Melbourne Football

Re-Sign Garcia

MARKMILES

• 2 weeks later...

To all who are asking about my future, I haven't signed with anyone just yet......sorry I can't say more....

@RichGarcia19 I have a spare pen if you need one mate... :)

I have a gut feeling he'll sign, can only hope so! 

Give him Aussie marquee and the captain's armband, that is if we're not chasing someone like Bresciano or McDonald.

• Like 1

RG is the consummate professional footballer and he would have hoped that by coming back to the A-league he would have starred to the point of being a standout in the league, resurrected his Socceroo career and put himself in the shopfront for a big dollar deal in asia.

Although he was the star of our side, on reflection, things didnt work out as well as he probably hoped.

In terms of the A-league, Heart had a crappy season and he didnt make the All star team. He did get another shot at his Socceroo chance in East Asia, but didn't impress enough to get a call up by Holger in the WC squad, although Archie and Milligan did, which would hurt as it shows he no longer figures in HO plans.

Whats left for him in the A-league? I hope a good pay deal and offer to be club captain would be enough to get him over the line, but as some of his other aspirations seem to be closed chapters, is this really more attractive than big bucks in the middle east (that is if he can get a deal)??

Only time will tell.

clearly the reason many Heart supporters still want him in red and white is because he is a good player and he was our best player last year.

My point is regardless of being our best player last season,

Garcia is exhibiting the exact type of behaviour that saw many unhappy both when the club sought to sign Lucas Neil (With good reason as it turned out) and when they learnt that the club had signed with Kewell.

• Like 2

clearly the reason many Heart supporters still want him in red and white is because he is a good player and he was our best player last year.

My point is regardless of being our best player last season,

Garcia is exhibiting the exact type of behaviour that saw many unhappy both when the club sought to sign Lucas Neil (With good reason as it turned out) and when they learnt that the club had signed with Kewell.

I completely agree.

Do we really want our captain to be using us to find a better place to be?

If he really really wanted to be a part of Heart... He would be training with us, even just to stay fit, WITHOUT his contract being signed yet, if that was the case.

Even if the guy did want to try to get back overseas, the least he could do would be to turn up to training from day 1 instead of going on a bush bash in WA.

As it stands right now, I am more happy with Kewell than Garcia, purely on attitude.

• Like 3

I fully agree that negotiations with Garcia are starting to get ridiculous, and that Garcia hasn't approached re-signing with Heart with a good attitude.

If we re-sign Garcia we'd likely play him out of position next season, and many Heart supporters have fairly criticised Heart for doing that before, and it shouldn't be downplayed if we do it again with Garcia. Garcia can be a pretty good defensive midfielder, especially by A-League standards, but why don't we just sign a real good DM that has always played as a DM? It doesn't make a lot of sense to play an expensive player, which Garcia would be next season, out of position.

I'm very happy with our current wingers: Dugandzic and Mebrahtu on the right side, and Williams, Garuccio and maybe Kewell and Ramsay on the left side. So there's next to no chance that we'd play Garcia next season in the position that he's most familiar with: winger.

So let's just sign up another proper DM who can play alongside Murdocca or Germano or Gerhardt, and we'll have a strong and balanced squad, just lacking in a player or two.

• Like 1

He could easily play AM and I don't know why you'd want him as DM

Aloisi played him there last season, and I reckon that's where he'd be played again.

Also, I see us using Kewell as our AM. And after Kewell, I reckon Kalmar and Mauk are good options to provide cover.

I don't think that Garcia is best played in a central position, whether that position is as our DM or AM. IMO Garcia was best last season as a winger, where he has played most of his football.

This is the way i see this whole garcia debacle...

1. Garcia signed on with us because at the time we were pretty much the only choice, it was never because he wanted to play for the club.

2. He had a good season in 12/13 and for that obvious reason deserved to be offered another contract

3. The club has made an offer which they will not increase ( if they had he'd be signed up by now) so well done to SM for sticking to his guns

4. In all honesty I believe Garcia will most likely do well again this season if signed up but at this point in time with him looking what else is on offer I don't think he gives much of a shit about our club, more of a means to an end.

I don't really care if he doesn't sign up. To me he's already an ex heart player.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

He could easily play AM and I don't know why you'd want him as DM

Aloisi played him there last season, and I reckon that's where he'd be played again.

Also, I see us using Kewell as our AM. And after Kewell, I reckon Kalmar and Mauk are good options to provide cover.

I don't think that Garcia is best played in a central position, whether that position is as our DM or AM. IMO Garcia was best last season as a winger, where he has played most of his football.

He started the season as a DM, but moved into an attacking midfield position before long, and then on the wing as well.

Personally, I think he's the best AM we've got, with the possible exception of Kewell. But I would play Kewell on the left because, not only is it his best position, but also because we really need a good left wing. I don't think we've ever really had anyone good in that position. Apart from Kewell, I think the only natural left sided option we've got is Garuccio. He's an exciting prospect, but very young, and will learn a lot from Kewell. And tbh,I think Williams is pretty average in that spot. So for me, I'd like to see Garcia, or if not Garcia, someone of quality as our no.1 AM.

Anyway, I'm holding off until I see who we end up with. I'd like to see him training with the squad as well. But all we know is that he's assessing his options. Like all the players we're currently talking to. There's nothing to suggest he's not negotiating in good faith. And nobody knows what the club is offering. If he ends up signing with us, I imagine it will be for significantly less than what he could get elsewhere. (Despite some of the things we've heard, I don't see any evidence yet that we've loosened the purse strings when it comes to players, although obviously that might change.)

I want Garcia because he makes us a better team. If we lose him, we need to make sure the players we do sign bring similar, or better quality.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Agree with Sash.

if he was an international, it would be a different story, because im not sure we would be able to find many more australian players with these qualities:

1. Experienced

2. Being vocal on the pitch, much more than our other wingers/strikers/attacking mids

3. Solid relationship with coach and club as a whole (possibly less so now however)

4. Can teach the ropes to Garuccio, Mate, Gol-Gol, and even Williams to an extent.

5. He has a mint chant. GAARRCIAA :)

The negatives have been discussed, but as Sash said, Garcia makes us a better team.

Sash makes some good points. But I think this stalling with Garcia is possibly delaying one or more of other potential signings, and that's why IMO the situation should be brought to a head promptly and we move on one way or the other.

The last thing we need next season is to listen to all this "team needs to gel" crap that we've heard in the past. The intent was to get the squad together early and hit the season running.

I wouldn't be surprised if Garcia has put in a demand to sign quality and show there intention on the squad they build before he commits. Garcia is of high quality and has a winning mentality and finishing second last he has had a gutful and if that's why RG hasn't signed I wouldn't blame him!!

Moronic logic. If he's not interested in adding himself as the quality in the squad then we shouldn't be signing players for him.

Very far from moronic if you have ambition and your being dragged down and what`s being promised isn't being delivered why would you commit? 

You see players all around the world move to better clubs to win things because their club will never win anything!!

No one has come out and said its solely money related (money doesn't buy happiness) to him resigning and coming off an extremely shit year would clearly play on your mind.

Its no fun for a professional to finish second last and I have no doubt RG would be comfortable with his finances where it wouldn't be solely finance related so my logic could makes perfect sense if that's the reason behind him stalling.  

Edited by AntiScum