Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

The club claim their off-season recruitment drive is progressing well, with a deal hopefully due to be completed for a versatile holding player

John Aloisi says Melbourne Heart are making progress in their search to sign an influential midfielder ahead of the 2013-14 A-League season.

Heart are short of numbers after releasing veterans Fred and Matt Thompson, while they are tipped to lose out-of-contract star Richard Garcia.

According to Aloisi, the club are closing in on a player who can complement the likes of Jonatan Germano, Iain Ramsey and new arrival Massimo Murdocca.

"We've got two more foreign spots to fill and if the right one comes along ... we think we're close to getting a defensive midfielder who can control our game," he told Radio Sport National on Wednesday.

"I think that's important for us, to have someone in the midfield who can link up between the defence and the strikers. We're looking at someone that is experienced and who is great on the ball, so that we can dictate to the opposition how we want to play.

Heart have also been seeking a replacement for centre-forward Eli Babalj, who ended his brief second spell at the club by returning to Europe with AZ Alkmaar at the end of last season.

"The search goes on for a striker, we've got quite a few names but I want to make sure we get the right one," Aloisi said.

"The first and foremost priority is the defensive midfielder, once that is done I can make sure we get the striker we need."

Speaking to Goal Australia, Heart chief executive Scott Munn confirmed the club had the resources to achieve those recruitment targets, with an overseas player likely to fill the midfield void.

"We're keen to fill those positions and working pretty actively to secure those," he said.

"We've still got a large amount of money left in our salary cap. I'd expect at the minimum at least one more signing to be a foreign player and possibly two. And that will happen over the next two to three weeks."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/08/01/4157076/aloisi-heart-closing-in-on-key-midfielder?ICID=HP_HN_1

"We've still got a large amount of money left in our salary cap. I'd expect at the minimum at least one more signing to be a foreign player and possibly two. And that will happen over the next two to three weeks."

Still all pointing to Richie re-signing...

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/08/01/4157076/aloisi-heart-closing-in-on-key-midfielder?ICID=HP_HN_1

As we thought. Plenty of money still left. Let's hope we really do get quality signings to round out the squad. There'e really no excuse now.

I know its a bit of a risk, but i wouldn't be against seeing Kalmar as that ball playing defensive mid. I know he can't really defend but he's good on the ball, looks to make those passes forward & has a decent shot from distance.

this role would essentially be quite similar to that of an Arteta at Arsenal, and imo it could pay off.

Also with a bit of congestion in the midfield at the moment, it would be good to see Kalmar getting game time as when he strung together consistent playing time, he looked one of the better midfielders that we'd produced. It would be a shame to see him fall down the pecking order as he had a good season last year, and has stated his intention to build on that.

I know its a bit of a risk, but i wouldn't be against seeing Kalmar as that ball playing defensive mid. I know he can't really defend but he's good on the ball, looks to make those passes forward & has a decent shot from distance.

this role would essentially be quite similar to that of an Arteta at Arsenal, and imo it could pay off.

Also with a bit of congestion in the midfield at the moment, it would be good to see Kalmar getting game time as when he strung together consistent playing time, he looked one of the better midfielders that we'd produced. It would be a shame to see him fall down the pecking order as he had a good season last year, and has stated his intention to build on that.

i think its something that could be done, but you need a bloody good ball winner beside him if thats that case.

if you look at Milligan in the Socceroos, the only reason Osciek keeps playing him in midfield is that he is a good folly for a deep lying Bresciano.  Milligan "cleans" up while Bresciano is given space to play and orchestrate. 

something I think Gerhardt could actually do but it doesnt look like he will be played anywhere but at the back

Edited by mattyh001

i think its something that could be done, but you need a bloody good ball winner beside him if thats that case.

if you look at Milligan in the Socceroos, the only reason Osciek keeps playing him in midfield is that he is a good folly for a deep lying Bresciano.  Milligan "cleans" up while Bresciano is given space to play and orchestrate. 

something I think Gerhardt could actually do but it doesnt look like he will be played anywhere but at the back

There's a lot of similarities between Gerhardt and Milligan imo and he would make a fantastic defensive midfielder but I can understand why JA would be reluctant to move him after being as good as he was in defence last season.

I just hope the CDM he's after is a machine, a big Yaya Toure-esque player wouldn't go astray!

As a Gooner, sorry Peter, but Kalmar is a totally different player to the role Arteta plays at Arsenal. Arteta is used as the sole DM with a huge responsibility of transition from the back four. He is incredibly disciplined on the defensive side of the game, an incredible pass completion/success rate, and has sacrificed his attacking game to a large extent for the greater good of the game since Song left and Cazorla arrived. Arsenal generally play with a sole DM, and two AMs with Cazorla/Wiltshire or one AM with a more box to box type like Ramsay/Rosicky if the opposition is pressing harder and higher.

Structurally most consensus is we'll play with two DMs (as we did last year) with my suspicions being we'll hardly vary from this again this year. Kalmar doesn't have the defensive discipline to play this role - he just strikes me as a guy who likes to get forward and have a crack. He also looks more nervous sitting deeper and I think his passing falters under more pressure (sounds unkind as he is one of our better passers overall).

I don't think he has the motor to play box to box, and agree with Jimmy above - he'll be used as an AM. Don't forget, we are chasing a class DM - if this signing is of very high quality, I can envisage Kewell and Kalmar both playing AM roles at times if we want to press higher (the caveat being JA develops some flexibility). This will also depend on the role of Kewell (especially if we sign a quality striker), and the development of our younger players. The other option is Murdocca can play box to box but I honestly don't know much about him and happy to be told otherwise.

Heard today that Billy Konstantinidis has basically signed for Heart. At least he seems to think so anyway, haven't seen him play myself, no clue if this is good or bad.

Possibly taking Garcia's spot.

Well if he's signed, then our last two signings (I'm assuming) are internationals which means Garcia's gone.

Seems like a similar sort of player to Tadic but I'm hoping that we're still planning on splashing the big bucks for an international marquee striker.

Seems like he wants to come to Melbourne. Seems like he knows where the goals are and how to put the ball into the onion bag. Would seem to be a reasonable gamble and wouldn't command too much $$$$. Make it happen JA. Might also shut up the SMFC nongs :P

Edited by HEARTinator

Heard today that Billy Konstantinidis has basically signed for Heart. At least he seems to think so anyway, haven't seen him play myself, no clue if this is good or bad.

Anyway, this seems all speculation at the moment.

What is your source Bozza? And what do you mean by "...he thinks he has signed"? Either he has or he hasn't.

What is your source Bozza? And what do you mean by "...he thinks he has signed"? Either he has or he hasn't.

He hasn't signed yet, but he is training...

At least he sounds confident. :)

Edited by Peter

Sorry I don't spill my sauce.

I have many, some are good, some are not so good, I would place this one in the middle somewhere.

As I said, from what I have been told by a 3rd party, he seems to think he will be a Melbourne Heart player, so we shall see.

ex NQ Fury defender Mark Hughes signed for Morecambe in Englands League 2, and has already been made club captain. Would've really liked to see him back in the A-League partnering Wielart and allowing Paddy G to move into that DM position or allow us to play a 3-5-2 5-3-2 with wingbacks which would suit Walker and Aziz perfectly.