Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Can see santalab going back to Sydney to fill the void left by griffiths Heart aren't looking to use an Australian striker as is made evident by the fact their trialling Aussie midfielders meaning they're probably looking for an international striker. Can't see Gombau wanting him at Adelaide, maybe Newcastle or Perth, but I doubt it.

I'm thinkin there will only be one more VISA signing now that Behich is coming back and I think it'll be a striker/attacking mid!

Remember last season we had to drop Gray to get Meeuwis? It'd be a good 'Ace' to have up our sleeve, i.e. to get a decent international player in January to help our push for top 2  ;) Well, that or - on the other end of the spectrum - he might help us finally win an away match!  <_<  :unsure:

I'm thinkin there will only be one more VISA signing now that Behich is coming back and I think it'll be a striker/attacking mid!

Remember last season we had to drop Gray to get Meeuwis? It'd be a good 'Ace' to have up our sleeve, i.e. to get a decent international player in January to help our push for top 2  ;) Well, that or - on the other end of the spectrum - he might help us finally win an away match!  <_<  :unsure:

+marquee player. They would be better suited getting a goal scoring marquee than this DM that they are after and use the remaining visa spots. I just hope it all gets sorted ASAP

There is absolutely no need for the visa spots to be sorted ASAP. In fact financially it'd make sense not to get it sorted ASAP.

And before anyone says "oh but they need to train with the squad" etc - well any bloody visa or marquee signing worth their salt shouldn't and won't need 3 months to get themselves right.

The only reason wed sort it ASAP is to appease the impatient fans. Which, I'd wager, won't be a determining factor in negotiations.

I can guarantee we won't be anywhere near a top 2 this season 

There is absolutely no need for the visa spots to be sorted ASAP. In fact financially it'd make sense not to get it sorted ASAP.

And before anyone says "oh but they need to train with the squad" etc - well any bloody visa or marquee signing worth their salt shouldn't and won't need 3 months to get themselves right.

The only reason wed sort it ASAP is to appease the impatient fans. Which, I'd wager, won't be a determining factor in negotiations.

Or the other reason could to be to actually lock the marquee in! If a true marquee there will be demand for him so signing them ASAP means we won't lose him to a Gulf/East Asian country!

• Like 1

I can guarantee we won't be anywhere near a top 2 this season 

Will you guarantee top 4?

Or the other reason could to be to actually lock the marquee in! If a true marquee there will be demand for him so signing them ASAP means we won't lose him to a Gulf/East Asian country!

Fair. But if you're a decent marquee who actually wants to play, would you be keen to come to Australia and train pre season for 3 months before paying a game?

Yes, you would! To acclimate, find a place to stay, get the kids enrolled in school (if any and came with), get familiar with surroundings and getting around in a new city, etc...and in the meantime, you're getting paid and getting fit with pre-season training.

Or, is there a law that as soon as you sign someone they have to start training with you? We could sign a marquee now with the condition that they'll join the team in September, for example...it's after the European summer, the weather's started warming up here and he'll get a good month of pre-season in before Round 1.

Nothing to stop us signing a player at any time to start at some future date provided all the cap etc. requirements are met. We've already done it. We signed Redmayne in February of one season to start in the following season, and we signed Mauk for last season in the NYL and this season in the seniors.

I would imagine that clubs are looking at potential signings all the time - seeing who is coming out of contract in due course  - rather than just waiting for the off-season to have a look around.

There are usually a number of players coming out of contract at the end of a season and you can release as necessary to accommodate any signings you've already made.

I agree with the points that:

- Quality players are hard to sign, and often the early bird gets the worm. There are only so many Karagounis's and Miccolis out there

- Ideally you want all players to have at least 1 month of pre-season. At victory, Kewell played at far below his potential for the first half of the season because of his poor pre-season. And as Kewell has showed with us, you can sign and announce a player, and then agree to have that player begin pre-season training in a couple of weeks (we announced Kewell 1 month before he started his pre-season)

Last, and by no means least, Heart should have its squad complete with a good amount of pre-season left, so the club can have buzz and excitement surrounding it as it goes into next season. This would help attract new members, and consolidate the old membership base. Heart pretty much have the smallest number of memberships out of all A-League clubs, despite the big membership culture that exists in Melbourne (as seen with many people following their AFL clubs, no matter what and out of habit) which doesn't exist in other cities (like Wellington, Central Coast, Adelaide etc). It isn't for my sake that I want Heart to complete its squad sometime soon, as me and my family already have renewed our memberships, but because I believe there are many potential Heart supporters out there who would become (or stay) apart of the club if Heart had a lot of buzz and excitement around it leading into next season.

Yeah look, all valid. I just don't see it like that. I mean, how do you feel about January transfers?

I have a feeling they might keep one spot open for January. However, hopefully they leart their lesson with muewiss and if they are going to sign a player, sign one that has been playing right up until the transfer window. I think that meuwiss hadn't played for a few months. Can anyone remember this? It was a shame really, he might have been a good dm for us had he had time to prepare or was already playing.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Yeah look, all valid. I just don't see it like that. I mean, how do you feel about January transfers?

I have a feeling they might keep one spot open for January. However, hopefully they leart their lesson with muewiss and if they are going to sign a player, sign one that has been playing right up until the transfer window. I think that meuwiss hadn't played for a few months. Can anyone remember this? It was a shame really, he might have been a good dm for us had he had time to prepare or was already playing.

The fact is, it's very difficult for A-League clubs to acquire good players in the January transfer period, because there is a limited amount of good players available (as most players are contracted, and most contracts run through till June) and those signings are often expensive (as players have a lot of leverage when negotiating in that period, because clubs that are looking to sign players are often desperate), which is why so few A-League clubs strengthen in that period.

Ideally, an A-League club should be about as strong as it will get at the start of the season.

Last, and by no means least, Heart should have its squad complete with a good amount of pre-season left, so the club can have buzz and excitement surrounding it as it goes into next season. This would help attract new members, and consolidate the old membership base.... I believe there are many potential Heart supporters out there who would become (or stay) apart of the club if Heart had a lot of buzz and excitement around it leading into next season.

Murf, absolutely spot on. This is the overwhelming reason why we need to fill our two remaining visa places with exciting and quality players who play in the front third. Every time there has been a bit of buzz around the team we have seen an increase in crowds, but the problem is that for the most part we are just putting a team on the park that does not create interest with the Melbourne public. This not just about football, or even sport, any more. It's about competition for the leisure dollar and answering the question "Why should I do this?"

[Edit] From http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Aloisi-happy-with-options/71559

"(Behich is) Heart's 20th squad member for the upcoming season; however, Aloisi still has three potential positions to fill, including two international places.

“I’ve got quite a few wingers and a few full backs so the squad is looking strong," Aloisi said.

“We still need a couple of players, I still need a midfielder and a striker and I think once we get that together our squad will be full.” 

Edited by jw1739

sounds like we will definitely sign 2 more visa players which will take our squad to 22 players and leave 1 spot open. Then if garcia signs it will be a bonus, but if he doesnt sign then there hasn't really been any indication that we will look into signing another player.

Strange really. Garcia is a high quality player and will be a big bonus to the squad, but if he is not signed, the club doesn't seem to be chasing another high quality australian player..

sounds like we will definitely sign 2 more visa players which will take our squad to 22 players and leave 1 spot open. Then if garcia signs it will be a bonus, but if he doesnt sign then there hasn't really been any indication that we will look into signing another player. Strange really. Garcia is a high quality player and will be a big bonus to the squad, but if he is not signed, the club doesn't seem to be chasing another high quality australian player..

No offence but why would you think they're not chasing a high quality australian player or any quality player for that matter, just because they don't make it public to you?

Edited by n i k o

sounds like we will definitely sign 2 more visa players which will take our squad to 22 players and leave 1 spot open. Then if garcia signs it will be a bonus, but if he doesnt sign then there hasn't really been any indication that we will look into signing another player.

Strange really. Garcia is a high quality player and will be a big bonus to the squad, but if he is not signed, the club doesn't seem to be chasing another high quality australian player..

i would think that by your logic  there is only one real spot left for an Aussie - the club can't exactly go out and try to get a dime a dozen; they have to pick there battles in that regard and i suspect that the club believes they are really close to getting Garcia (and therefore they don't see the point to searching for someone else).

sounds like we will definitely sign 2 more visa players which will take our squad to 22 players and leave 1 spot open. Then if garcia signs it will be a bonus, but if he doesnt sign then there hasn't really been any indication that we will look into signing another player. Strange really. Garcia is a high quality player and will be a big bonus to the squad, but if he is not signed, the club doesn't seem to be chasing another high quality australian player..

No offence but why would you think they're not chasing a high quality australian player or any quality player for that matter, just because they don't make it public to you?

If we were close to signing a big name we would know about it, it will not come out of the blue

If we were close to signing a big name we would know about it, it will not come out of the blue

Again, their intentions are not all made public. Just because you don't hear about any offers doesn't mean these australian players aren't on their radar.

just going by aloisi's quote mate

“We still need a couple of players, I still need a midfielder and a striker and I think once we get that together our squad will be full.”

Especially the last part "once we get that together (midfielder and striker) our squad will be full"

as I said, we know we have tabled an offer to Garcia, but there has been no mention of signing a 23rd player, especially one of that quality and experience.

Also going by previous transfer window signings, and the way the club has operated in previous seasons.

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just going by what's been said. I hope Garcia eventually does sign, he'll be a big boost for us.

Richie Wellens has been released from his contract, I've always liked the way he's gone about his football.

I'm a Leicester fan, and can tell you he has been genuinely shite for us since he had his injury. Can't run, his passing is average and he slows the play down every time he touched the ball. Was last good in 2009/10.

He was also on massive $$$, about 25,000 pound a week, we've had to pay him up because the bastard wouldn't leave and was happy to sit on his wages.

Not the kind of player I want at this club. Besides he's been linked heavily with a return to Doncaster, and was linked with Victory at the start of the window.