Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

2013-14 is a huge challenge for us in that we need to be really competitive both in the league overall and especially with that other mob here in this town. Until a month or so ago it seemed as though we were on the right track, but everything seems to have stalled. We haven't met our own timetable, we've clearly missed at least one target (Holt), the Garcia business is unresolved, and I can't believe that we're even thinking about an ex-MV player such as Velaphi.

We've still got no depth in defence and no proven central striker, and other than HK those "big signings" are yet to occur. I keep hearing that there's still plenty of time to go, and maybe I'm too anxious...but I'm just not getting the positive vibes out of Heart HQ that I was a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

If the Club signs another experienced CB, how does Vrankovic fit into the equation?

Currently, it would seem Paddy G and Rob W are the starting pair, with Vranks on the bench. You throw another experience guy back there and Vranks doesn't even make the bench.

For me, the cover required for the CB role needs to be someone comparable to Vranks and then they can prove themselves for that backup spot.

If the Club signs another experienced CB, how does Vrankovic fit into the equation?

Currently, it would seem Paddy G and Rob W are the starting pair, with Vranks on the bench. You throw another experience guy back there and Vranks doesn't even make the bench.

For me, the cover required for the CB role needs to be someone comparable to Vranks and then they can prove themselves for that backup spot.

I was talking about the back four in general, not just the CBs. ATM we have just Jez Walker as a RB, Ian Ramsay and Sam Mitchinson as LBs.  Ramsay is completely untried in that position, and Jez and Sam are both youngsters in relative terms.

With our past injury record I can't see that as being adequate.

Germano could be seen as RB flexibility.

Yes, agree. But he had a very indifferent season in 2012-13 - IMO he was lucky to be retained.

And once again we would be looking at shuffling players around to plug holes. I just do not think that's the way we will win a Premiership.

And I for one do not accept that "making finals" is a worthy objective or achievement.

• Like 1

Germano could be seen as RB flexibility.

Yes, agree. But he had a very indifferent season in 2012-13 - IMO he was lucky to be retained.

And once again we would be looking at shuffling players around to plug holes. I just do not think that's the way we will win a Premiership.

And I for one do not accept that "making finals" is a worthy objective or achievement.

We need to win a Home Final,

And I completely agree that Germano's season was not great and he should not have been demanding more money from the club.

$47K ... most of the players in the reasonable leagues of Europe earn that much in a fortnight.

For any established player to take the minimum wage, especially a Visa player, they must be desperate ...

He was.

However that speaks nothing for his footballing ability.

Some of the best players have come from the poorest places in the world.

$47K ... most of the players in the reasonable leagues of Europe earn that much in a fortnight.

For any established player to take the minimum wage, especially a Visa player, they must be desperate ...

He was.

Well if he was playing for a club who finnished second last in South America, He may not have even been paid.

Its common for such clubs to stop playing their players when they are not getting good results.

Edited by cadete

He was.

Well if he was playing for a club who finnished second last in South America, He may not have even been paid.

Its common for such clubs to stop playing their players when they are not getting good results.

Remember guys, the bloke had bugger all of a pre season and didnt come back into the side until around the midway mark of the season.

Pretty confident he'll have a much better season with a full preseason under his belt

We've currently signed 18/23 players, with 3/5 VISA spots taken. We also need a back up keeper which leaves four spots remaining for outfield players, two Australians and two foreigners. We also have both marque spots open. We've got three obvious voids, a DM, AM and CF that will definitely be filled with three of the four remaining spots. Wouldn't it be great if we could use our Australian marque spot to fill one of these voids with a Bresciano, Kennedy, Macdonald, Valeri etc. Leaving the two VISA spots to fill the two gaps that remain and if one of those is a big name marque then even better. From there I'd like to see the last spot on the roster used for defensive depth. (Hamill)

Ideal situation.

• Like 2

We've currently signed 18/23 players, with 3/5 VISA spots taken.

Maybe I've miscounted. Who's the 18 again? I count 17:

1   Gerhardt

2   Ramsay

3   Murdocca

4   Macallister

5   Kewell

6   Germano

7   Mebrahtu

8   Williams

9   Hoffman

10 Vrankovic

11 Garuccio

12 Redmayne

13 Dugandzic

14 Mitchinson

15 Walker

16 Wielaert

17 Mauk 

Whether it's 17 or 18, I fully agree that Heart have enough spots left to create a strong and balanced team.

This is why you shouldn't rely on Wikipedia lol. You'll get basic things wrong.

Completely agree with Jimmy's above post, then. Heart have just enough spots left to create a strong and balanced team. However, we have at least 3 important signings to make, and at least 2 if not 3 of the final 4 signings should obtain players that can start matches regularly.

This is where JA, SM and especially JD earn their money. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

EXCLUSIVE: Heart to decide on back-up goalkeeper this week

By Iain Strachan

11/07/2013 1:07:00 PM

Andrew Redmayne is Melbourne Heart's undisputed number one and Clint Bolton has retired from playing, with the club set to finalise who will join the senior squad as cover

Melbourne Heart are set to decide on a back-up to first-choice goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne this week, with promising youngster Alistair Bray still in the running.

Redmayne, 24, took over from Clint Bolton as Heart's number one last season, with the ex-Sydney FC veteran retiring from playing and moving into an administrative role at the club.

Bolton's retirement has left Heart with a vacant spot for a goalkeeper in the senior squad, a position former Melbourne Victory and Perth Glory keeper Tando Velaphi, among others, are in contention for.

"We've had four or five more guys with a bit of experience under their belt come through to trial since the start of pre-season in early June," Heart's football operations manager John Didulica told Goal.com Australia.

"Now it's just a matter of the coaches sitting down to work out who's the best option for the club as a back-up to Andrew [Redmayne] and make a decision, hopefully that won't be too far away.

"The coaches will make that call this week sometime."

Heart may already have a player within their own ranks capable of acting as back-up to Redmayne in the form of 20-year-old Bray.

Earning the accolade of the club's National Youth Team player of the season last term, the promising youngster told Goal.com Australia he had overlooked enquiries from overseas to try and establish himself further at Heart.

Didulica said he was not aware of any clubs keeping tabs on Bray's progress and is confident of retaining him, irrespective of whether or not he is promoted to the senior squad.

"Any [interest] overseas is news to us," he said.

"Alistair ... did exceptionally well in terms of the way he improved, he's continued to improve so far this pre-season.

"People need to make decisions based on what they think is in their best interests. I think Alistair's shown that he's improved with us, so it wouldn't make sense to walk away now, regardless of what's offered and what's not offered.

"It's about him developing as a footballer and whether that's in the youth team or as a second-choice goalkeeper, he'll still have the same opportunities and the same access to coaching to ensure he can continue to develop at the same rate that he has been in the last 12 months."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/07/11/4109156/exclusive-heart-to-decide-on-back-up-goalkeeper-this-week?ICID=HP_BN_1

Interesting that Didulica said they have never heard of any overseas interest for Bray. Also, going off what Didulica said, "I think Alistair's shown that he's improved with us, so it wouldn't make sense to walk away now" and "It's about him developing as a footballer and whether that's in the youth team or as a second-choice goalkeeper, he'll still have the same opportunities and the same access to coaching to ensure he can continue to develop at the same rate that he has been in the last 12 months",  Bray sounds certain to be out of contention for the backup GK position...

It would be a bit surprising if Heart overlooked one young GK, Bray, for another, Lewis Moss. So, I reckon the most likely candidates are Sebastian Usai, Jamie Young and Tando Velaphi... and Velaphi's name is the only one mentioned in this article...

I hope Heart realise how stupid and unnecessary it would be for us to sign Another former victory player. It would be a massive PR headache. Even if they judged him to be objectively the best of the 5, which he isn't IMO, they shouldn't select Tando because of the negative message it sends.

Hopefully Aloisi and Foxe, who's decision it now apparently is, understand the decision they are making.

Think you've missed the point lads, they like Bray, but don't think it's any good for his development to be sitting on the bench behind a other young keeper.

But he'd be on the bench and playing for the youth team wouldn't he?

Think you've missed the point lads, they like Bray, but don't think it's any good for his development to be sitting on the bench behind a other young keeper.

But he'd be on the bench and playing for the youth team wouldn't he?

That depends very much on the two fixtures. IIRC in our first season in the NYL that was possible most of the time, but not last season.

Interesting that Didulica said they have never heard of any overseas interest for Bray. Also, going off what Didulica said, "I think Alistair's shown that he's improved with us, so it wouldn't make sense to walk away now" and "It's about him developing as a footballer and whether that's in the youth team or as a second-choice goalkeeper, he'll still have the same opportunities and the same access to coaching to ensure he can continue to develop at the same rate that he has been in the last 12 months",  Bray sounds certain to be out of contention for the backup GK position...

It would be a bit surprising if Heart overlooked one young GK, Bray, for another, Lewis Moss. So, I reckon the most likely candidates are Sebastian Usai, Jamie Young and Tando Velaphi... and Velaphi's name is the only one mentioned in this article...

I hope Heart realise how stupid and unnecessary it would be for us to sign Another former victory player. It would be a massive PR headache. Even if they judged him to be objectively the best of the 5, which he isn't IMO, they shouldn't select Tando because of the negative message it sends.

Hopefully Aloisi and Foxe, who's decision it now apparently is, understand the decision they are making.

agree totally.

surely if they are going to go another former visitor released last season (and for arguments sake only, not saying he has to be signed), surely you'd only look Sam Gallagher.  Young defender who showed potential but was cast alongside another 32 players last season at the visitors - just because he was no re-signed doesnt mean everything; quite possibly too many players in the same position.

IIRC Gallagher is currently at Richmond in the VPL so still a potential pick up.

Edited by mattyh001

Totally unrelated but it is a thread which is often read hahah so if anyone wants 2 free tickets to the rebels game tonight, let me know asap

Edit: just to add something related to the thread, Brad Green

Edit: if you do wants the tickets, go to the imp and say you won them on twitter, if you need my name it is @aidannuhanovic

Edited by Demon_Heart