Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

im expecting an announcement this week... surely if all signings are to be "completed over the next 3 weeks", and with pre-season starting "early june" we'll be make a fair few announcements

I'd take just some media speculation at the moment. Things are so quiet even the rumour mill is dead. Boring off season needs some thing!

The saddest part is 24 million pounds is alot more than anything Arsenal have paid for a player in their history, Villa are a mid table team obviously looking for Europa, but that is alot of money to invest on a singular player when you have such a minimal budget to play with.........some peopel should get sacked on the spot at clubs like that for making such stupid decisions..... thats not much less than what RVP was bought for ect

Apparently Darren Bent was spotted on Lygon st. over the weekend.

I saw him too. Apparently we're getting him and Kalgounis, Johnny's really doing some work!

Well, this is exciting. 2+2 may equal 5 but Bent is not Italian and you don't usually visit Melbourne's café strips in May unless you need to be here.

If these two signings come off, I am impressed.

Just to add fuel to the fire, my son was speaking to a member of the coaching staff tonight and was jokingly told, "we've got a big signing coming?". My son asked if it was Bresciano to which the answer came back, "much bigger!!". Couldn't extract anything else but this sounds pretty damn promising. Roll on press conferences.

• Like 1

Just to add fuel to the fire, my son was speaking to a member of the coaching staff tonight and was jokingly told, "we've got a big signing coming?". My son asked if it was Bresciano to which the answer came back, "much bigger!!". Couldn't extract anything else but this sounds pretty damn promising. Roll on press conferences.

I recall that at one stage we had an announcement that our CEO said was going to be '...bigger than Harry Kewell.' It turned out to be the cancellation of the Number 12 shirt  and 'giving it to the fans.'

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. MHFC has a bit of a history of crying wolf.

• Like 3

So the coaching staff consider Harry Kewell much bigger than Bresciano or is there yet a bigger name to come?

Just to clear things up.. in the Harry Kewell thread there's a quote from fox sports news that kewell is going to be on minimum wages and there will still be a marquee player signed (visa signing)

I'd like our best 11 to made up of:

4-5 of the best under 23s

2-3 returning socceroos for leadership and ability

3-4 internationals to fill in positions

It's been proven journeymen such as Thompson, Colosimo, poor use of marquee and international spots have been a big reason for not being near a top team.  

We need more of a long term blueprint, similar to what we had in the 2nd year under JVS. 

It's been proven journeymen such as Thompson, Colosimo, poor use of marquee and international spots have been a big reason for not being near a top team.  

We need more of a long term blueprint, similar to what we had in the 2nd year under JVS. 

1. When have we had any marquees, International or Australian?

2. Please tell me what was wrong with Thompson's first season and a half at the club?

3. You mean the JVS Blueprint that saw us with two teenagers as a Central Back pairing which cost points in various matches and a Home Final?

(In fact we only made the finals in S2 because of the form we had when Madaschi decided to do his off season training by playing a few games for us down back.)

• Like 1

2. Please tell me what was wrong with Thompson's first season and a half at the club?

3. You mean the JVS Blueprint that saw us with two teenagers as a Central Back pairing which cost points in various matches and a Home Final?

(In fact we only made the finals in S2 because of the form we had when Madaschi decided to do his off season training by playing a few games for us down back.)

More that we never played finals (one) with these types on our list is the thing. 

kewell wouldn't be included in that as it says the club is looking to fill those positions from the visa spots. I think harry is more of the 'icing on the cake' signing.

totally agree, i get the impression that Kewell was seen as a maybe option that would add icing on the cake.  previously, Kewell has always seemed happy to stay in England to try and get a gig over there - only after the fall out over his injury replacement contract in the Middle East has things changed.

Holt would be a very intriguing signing.  still quite capable of playing in the EPL and was Norwich's B&F for a few years in a row - seems unlikely to come given his age but maybe the lifestyle would suit him.

More that we never played finals (one) with these types on our list is the thing. 

Well perhaps if the leagues best Box to Box Midfielder was played as one in Season One instead of as a Make shift CB for most of the season we would have had a better chance...

JVS's disregard for his sides having a Strong Backline and Expeirenced Defenders often cost us valuable points in both Season One and Season Two.

Well perhaps if the leagues best Box to Box Midfielder was played as one in Season One instead of as a Make shift CB for most of the season we would have had a better chance...

JVS's disregard for his sides having a Strong Backline and Expeirenced Defenders often cost us valuable points in both Season One and Season Two.

AMEN