Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Regardless of whether he's good or not, WS recycle another team's player and everyone thinks the world is ending

Relax kents

Agreed.

Every player looks good and a 'must have' when you read their Wikipedia entry. The reality is often different.

• Like 1

I get the feeling a number of people are concerned that we have the smallest squad assembled in the league, we don't have a spine to our team (lacking centre backs, midfielders, strikers), and we are not being linked with any players whilst other clubs are.

But as has been said, we don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

Another bit of info about the players we are looking for, with an article today mentioning that:

[Aloisi]  is currently in Europe where according to CEO Scott Munn he has been in discussions with up to seven players over filling three visa slots as the club chases a striker, defensive midfielder and centre-back.

(source)

That we are pursuing a Europe based CB is new, and very welcome, IMO.

So, from all we know, Aloisi and Foxe have gone around Europe looking for a striker, a DM, a CB and possibly an AM. Aloisi and Foxe have been in discussions with at least 7 players, and Aloisi and Foxe spent some time in England.

Hopefully we hear something concrete soon.

Possibly Bas van den Brink?

What's the story with Bas van den Brink again? He left Perth to go play in India, and the deal fell through at the last moment?

He would be a pretty sturdy European CB that we could sign on a free transfer. I'm a bit hopeful though that we can get a slightly better CB from Europe.

Possibly Bas van den Brink?

Solid player but still reckon we could do better.

The thing about van den Brink is that he is a proven performer in the A-League.

Not all overseas players who come here, despite good credentials, can perform once they are here. As we saw with Meeuwis.

Always rated van den Brink amongst the best CB's in the league, particularly remember a game early last season against the Visitors when he single handedly kept the scoreline respectable while the rest of his teammates watched Rojas walk past them continually.

He's a proven performer who knows the league, very surprised he hasn't been snapped up by now.

Just reading through the top boys twitter acc:

"Hi @scott_munn, wondering if the Club has a date by which it would like to have all signing complete and preseason in full swing?"

"all to be completed over next 3 weeks."

I didn't know that I was classed as a "top boy"?

I have to agree with Marteaux that it's likely we have signed Kewell given Scotty's "3 week completed signing" announcement.

If it is to be wrapped up in three weeks then that is fantastic news, far earlier than we had it done last season IIRC. Does this also mean that negotiations will be coming to an end with Garcia? If he doesn't sign, then it sounds as if we have someone to sign instead. Intriguing times ahead.

If it is to be wrapped up in three weeks then that is fantastic news, far earlier than we had it done last season IIRC. Does this also mean that negotiations will be coming to an end with Garcia? If he doesn't sign, then it sounds as if we have someone to sign instead. Intriguing times ahead.

Sends a huge statement, I think, that we want to get the season underway as soon as possible and get the team in the best possible shape sooner rather than later.

Also says to Garcia, here's the offer, take it or leave it, and at the same time, sends the message to all the other squad members that no-one is bigger than the team.

• Like 3

Big Harry Kewell announcement today apparently.

Surely not. He better be signed to carry the drinks and nothing else

I reckon he deserves a bit more respect than that, he's still got a bit to give but I do hope we don't sign him as a marquee if we do get him.

Munn on SEN now. JA is on annual leave in Paris ATM (not scouting or anything, @ Disneyland with his kids apparently)

JA caught up with JVS in Holland and had a look at a few players as well as a look at some English players.

Says our marquee won't be as big as ADP but more of the Ono ilk.

Also said we've talked to a high profile player who played in the premier league this season... Was difficult to negotiate salary but...

Munn on SEN now. JA is on annual leave in Paris ATM (not scouting or anything, @ Disneyland with his kids apparently)

JA caught up with JVS in Holland and had a look at a few players as well as a look at some English players.

Also said we've talked to a high profile player who played in the premier league this season... Was difficult to negotiate salary but...

Yeh I was just listening as well. Will be interesting to find out which premier league player they spoke to. Doesn't seem like one of the big players that have retired or may be out of contract, but a fair few players in the premier league would still make for a great addition to the Heart squad.

PLEASE be Karagounis, he's of the Ono ilk isn't he?!

• Like 1

Yeh I was just listening as well. Will be interesting to find out which premier league player they spoke to. Doesn't seem like one of the big players that have retired or may be out of contract, but a fair few players in the premier league would still make for a great addition to the Heart squad.

And that is what it's all about. Having a squad that is good enough to have a tilt at the Premiership, not just one name player.

Sorry, just to be clear, the high profile Premier League player that was spoken to, who had the difficult negotiation style - is he considered to be the Ono-esque marquee whose signature we are chasing?

Or do I read that as the PL player was a pain in the arse to deal with and we did want to sign him, but now we won't.

Sorry, just to be clear, the high profile Premier League player that was spoken to, who had the difficult negotiation style - is he considered to be the Ono-esque marquee whose signature we are chasing?

Or do I read that as the PL player was a pain in the arse to deal with and we did want to sign him, but now we won't.

Munn seemed pretty confident of our chances of signing him imo. Definitely still in for him. Probably Karagounis, going of his tweet and what was said today.