Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Interesting read, nothing new though. Although it would best suit David that before he writes such a piece he researches how long a calf injury can take to recover from before making comments about it.

Would also argue that potting the recruitment of Koren is pretty easy, but it's a bit hypocritical for all these people to criticise that signing in hindsight without mentioning that the older (and, as I understand it, more injury-prone prior to 2014-15) Damien Duff has been one of only a couple of shining lights this season.

It's pretty easy to say 'Just get a younger player as the marquee'. But surely getting a player with about a quarter of the professional experience of Koren (and presumably not even close to the standard of Koren - why would a European born 25 year old Premier League player quit that to come to Australia and play League 1/2 standard in anonymity?) has at least as many risks. And we know for a fact that Engelaar's injury had nothing to do with his age. It was a broken leg. As for Grella...wasn't he signed for the minimum? Disappointing, sure, but we never should have been counting on him in the first place.

What annoys the hell out of me is that if a joe public kids coach like me could see that this squad had massive problems at the back why couldn't the decision makers?

We had a poor defence last year but we allowed it to weaken. Unbelievable hardly describes it.

You look at that back 4 and all are contracted.

Ramsay and Weileart ends this season and I think Hoff and Kisnobo have another season to go after that.

Until thier contracts expire, there isnt much we can do as and wage falls under the salary cap even if they get axed.

Hoffman, an inaugural Melbourne Heart FC player, has been recognised for an impressive 2013-14 campaign in which he has successfully converted his role from that of a midfielder to a consistent defensive presence.

The 25-year-old right-back will enter his fifth season with Heart after signing a two-year deal which will see him remain at the Club until the end of the 2015-16 Hyundai A-League season.

He has made 63 appearances since being signed in 2010, including 19 starts during the Hyundai A-League 2013-14 season

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?s=news-display&type=Hoffman-and-Velaphi-Extend-Contracts&id=88871

Hoffman, an inaugural Melbourne Heart FC player, has been recognised for an impressive 2013-14 campaign in which he has successfully converted his role from that of a midfielder to a consistent defensive presence.

The 25-year-old right-back will enter his fifth season with Heart after signing a two-year deal which will see him remain at the Club until the end of the 2015-16 Hyundai A-League season.

He has made 63 appearances since being signed in 2010, including 19 starts during the Hyundai A-League 2013-14 season

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?s=news-display&type=Hoffman-and-Velaphi-Extend-Contracts&id=88871

I still think they have persisted with him because of the "Crowd Favourite" tag... which is all originally derived from the bloke buying an underaged Marty a carton of beer. :up:

Edited by cadete

Interesting read, nothing new though. Although it would best suit David that before he writes such a piece he researches how long a calf injury can take to recover from before making comments about it.

Would also argue that potting the recruitment of Koren is pretty easy, but it's a bit hypocritical for all these people to criticise that signing in hindsight without mentioning that the older (and, as I understand it, more injury-prone prior to 2014-15) Damien Duff has been one of only a couple of shining lights this season.

It's pretty easy to say 'Just get a younger player as the marquee'. But surely getting a player with about a quarter of the professional experience of Koren (and presumably not even close to the standard of Koren - why would a European born 25 year old Premier League player quit that to come to Australia and play League 1/2 standard in anonymity?) has at least as many risks. And we know for a fact that Engelaar's injury had nothing to do with his age. It was a broken leg. As for Grella...wasn't he signed for the minimum? Disappointing, sure, but we never should have been counting on him in the first place.

SF33 I think Hardsy's disappointment with the Koren issue stems from the initial statement by Begiristain that included the words: "It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name. He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach." (Herald Sun 23rd January 2014)

And other statements were attributed to Begiristain at the time, such as : City's director of football Txiki Begiristain said City's centre of gravity in Europe gave it an unfettered knowledge of prospective players for Heart."We have experience of players, we will know who can fit or not," he said. (www.news.com.au 23rd January 2014)

I think most Heart fans, and I include myself in that number, interpreted these sorts of statements to indicate that we would be looking to sign players for Heart, both as visa players and as marquees, that would not be 30+ and would not be big names. Yes, that was our interpretation, but can you honestly say that the squad we have today actually matches up with  the sorts of things that Begiristain was saying last January? Can you honestly say that Koren and Duff match "...unfettered knowledge of prospective players for Heart."?

Because I think not.

• Like 1

SF33 I think Hardsy's disappointment with the Koren issue stems from the initial statement by Begiristain that included the words: "It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name. He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach." (Herald Sun 23rd January 2014)

And other statements were attributed to Begiristain at the time, such as : City's director of football Txiki Begiristain said City's centre of gravity in Europe gave it an unfettered knowledge of prospective players for Heart."We have experience of players, we will know who can fit or not," he said. (www.news.com.au 23rd January 2014)

I think most Heart fans, and I include myself in that number, interpreted these sorts of statements to indicate that we would be looking to sign players for Heart, both as visa players and as marquees, that would not be 30+ and would not be big names. Yes, that was our interpretation, but can you honestly say that the squad we have today actually matches up with  the sorts of things that Begiristain was saying last January? Can you honestly say that Koren and Duff match "...unfettered knowledge of prospective players for Heart."?

Because I think not.

Not at all.

I just think the criticism of Koren is a bit harsh and there's nothing to suggest that his injury is anything other than bad luck. And I've honestly got no problem with the club continuing to use its marquee slot and another visa position on the likes of Duff and Koren: guys that have been there and done that (and stand out on the park, unlike pretty much all of our other visa players, who are all pretty middle-of-the-road for A-League players). I think the club needs guys of Duff and Koren's experience, class and professionalism.

You're absolutely spot on though, that there needs to be a more even spread of players at different stages of their careers in the visa positions (Koren or Miller would be the youngest we currently have, I believe) and I think that the visa rules do provide the scope to do that. It's just that we need to replace the incumbents from the Heart-era with Australian equivalents that are about the same standard.

That's the key, I reckon: get visa players that are significantly better than what we'd find locally. With the City network, I see no reason why we shouldn't be in a better position than any other club in the league to do just that, as soon as existing contracts start expiring.

And now we have a worse record than New Zealand Knights :hkpalm:   Oh the shame of it all !!!!!!!!!!!!

Melbourne City's defence statistically the worst in A-League history

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-defence-statistically-the-worst-in-aleague-history-20141201-11xojx.html

Edited by HEARTinator

I am also reasonably confident that Kirsnorbo was given a one year extension and that Hoffman was given a two year extension. I remember writing that giving Hoffman an extension was extremely worrying as he did not merit another contract. I didn't mind Kirsnorbo as he was one of two players that had a bit of mongrel about him. Yet at seasons end Kirsnorbo should retire. Hoffman has to be endured another season.

I am also reasonably confident that Kirsnorbo was given a one year extension and that Hoffman was given a two year extension. I remember writing that giving Hoffman an extension was extremely worrying as he did not merit another contract. I didn't mind Kirsnorbo as he was one of two players that had a bit of mongrel about him. Yet at seasons end Kirsnorbo should retire. Hoffman has to be endured another season.

Correct. Kisnorbo's contract finishes at the end of 2014/15, and Hoffman is with us until the end of 2015/16.

Then this from Seb Hassett

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-five-things-we-learnt-20141201-11xpa7.html

2. Melbourne City needs the royal treatment

The excuses are officially over for Melbourne City. Peel back the fancy paintwork and under the Gyprock you'll find the soft underbelly of Melbourne Heart remains at the core of City. Extensive changes were meant to come with the investment of the Abu Dhabi royal family but it seems they've got even more work to do than first thought. Hopes of them competing for the title in their first season now seem fanciful and it would appear only a matter of time before the club starts looking at alternatives to John van't Schip, no matter how popular he might be with the fan base.   ???????

Melbourne City's problems may appear to run deeper than their owners' pockets, but it is down back that they most require urgent change. City have conceded 19 goals in eight games, an average of 2.38 a game.

That not only makes City's defence statistically the competition's worst this season - 2.38 is more than any other side has allowed in any of the A-League's previous nine seasons.

Even the pitiful New Zealand Knights from the competition's first instalment only let in 2.24 goals a shift. Of course, the season is still a week shy of reaching its one-third mark, but the trend is evident, and potentially shambolic.

Goalkeeper Andy Redmayne has not kept a single clean sheet, with the five goals allowed against Melbourne Victory and on Sunday against Wellington Phoenix the headline nightmares.

The reasons are multifaceted. Rob Wielaert has battled at times, while Iain Ramsay's lapses have been well documented. Youngster Ross Archibald was found out at times, and replaced by Jason Hoffman - who had been dropped. Veteran skipper Patrick Kisnorbo has not been able to weather the storm. It led to Redmayne visibly showing his frustration as the floodgates opened at Westpac Stadium at the weekend.

Helping their cause is the fact that the A-League has already split in half. There is a six-point gap between fifth-placed Phoenix and the sixth-placed Central Coast Mariners, leaving City only goal difference from the top six.

In order to turn things around, though, they must plug the leaks.

"Of course it's a concern. We already tried to do that today by playing a bit more conservative and trying to be a bit more compact. Until the [first] goal we conceded it was OK, but a game is 90 minutes and we lost it after that and our performance was poor, so no excuses," manager John van 't Schip told SkySports in New Zealand.

City have a full week to ponder their defensive frailties before they shape up against Brisbane Roar on Sunday. Roar, like City have just a single victory thus far, with City's win coming against their next opponents in the Queensland capital in round five.

Geez we have a habit of breaking the wrong records

And now we have a worse record than New Zealand Knights :hkpalm:   Oh the shame of it all !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-defence-statistically-the-worst-in-aleague-history-20141201-11xojx.html

This is misleading - yes our defence is crap but they're comparing our record over 8 games to the record of the Knights over an entire season, so it's not the same thing.

That said: our defence is pretty terrible.

This is misleading - yes our defence is crap but they're comparing our record over 8 games to the record of the Knights over an entire season, so it's not the same thing.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Agree with you but I thought it was a great headline and yes there's a lot of truth in the headline anyway :up:

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Agree with you but I thought it was a great headline and yes there's a lot of truth in the headline anyway :up:

I am willing to give city this "award" based solely on the 2 back pass assists in 2 weeks we produced. can't say I've witnessed that before

Melbourne City will give John van't Schip time says former coach John Aloisi

John Aloisi is the only person other than John van't Schip to have coached Melbourne City. Photo: Getty Images

Former coach John Aloisi says Melbourne City's A-League season will soon be over if the club can't overhaul their inept defence.

City were belted 5-1 by Wellington Phoenix on Sunday, piling pressure on beleaguered coach John van't Schip to turn around a string of poor A-League performances.

Van't Schip's side are on track to leak the most goals in A-League history and have just one win in eight matches.

It's a stress familiar to one-time Melbourne Heart boss Aloisi, who led the side before it was bought and rebranded by Manchester City earlier this year.

Like van't Schip, he came under pressure for a losing streak and was eventually shown the door last December after a 17-game winless run.

But Aloisi said the Dutchman shouldn't be worried about a sudden sacking at the hands of the club's new owners.

"I'm sure they understand that in the A-League it doesn't happen so quick sometimes," he said.

"The owners will make decisions when they think the time is right.

"(But) I don't think they'll make changes suddenly."

Aloisi said City had to overhaul their defensive structure – statistically the worst defenders in A-League history – if they were to start winning matches.

"I think they've been quite poor in that aspect ... they have to try to get something organised," he said.

"It's the whole defensive structure, not only the back four."

"It's eight games, but they don't want it to keep on going like this.

"Then their season could be over very early."

City's form is especially disappointing considering van't Schip's hot streak after resuming the coaching role last Christmas.

Six wins in seven games had fans hoping the new season and new investment would avoid another slow A-League start.

It hasn't eventuated, and instead they're being slammed by the likes of former Socceroo Mark Bosnich for a "disgraceful" effort in Wellington.

Aloisi still has hopes the club can resurrect their season – beginning on Sunday afternoon with the visit of Brisbane Roar – if they can get some confidence back.

"Once they get their first clean sheet, then their confidence (will come)."

AAP

MELBOURNE City defenders are in the gun as coach John van’t Schip desperately tries to find the cure to his side’s disastrous start to the season.

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo or fellow stopper Rob Wielaert, a defender with UEFA Champions League experience, could be axed for Sunday’s game against Brisbane as highly-rated youngster Connor Chapman readies himself for a club debut.

City’s humiliating 5-1 loss to Wellington has them tracking towards the worst defensive record in the A-League’s 10-year history.

The club’s average goals conceded rate of 2.38 per game - having shipped 19 goals in eight games - is worse than the 47 goals in 21 games let in by the hapless New Zealand Knights in 2005-06, which, at an average of 2.24 goals conceded per game, is the worst ever.

Recruited from Newcastle in the off-season, Chapman was laid low by glandular fever, restricting his training, but the 20-year-old has now started in three consecutive National Youth League games.

It would be a big call to bench either Kisnorbo or Wielaert, but the side’s defensive frailties must be addressed.

Left back Ben Garuccio was added to an extended squad last week, but ultimately played in the youth team.

Tando Velaphi, a goalkeeper with 81 A-League games experience, hasn’t played this season.

Midfielder Massimo Murdocca played alongside Chapman in Saturday’s youth team game against Adelaide United and is in line to come back in to the side having recovered from a groin injury.

Short-term signing Liam Miller, who has been battling calf and Achilles soreness, is also a chance to resume.

City Football Group heavyweights have been in talks with the team’s football staff and, with a visa spot still up its sleeve, it’s not out of the question that the club could delve in to the January transfer market despite their limited salary cap space.

The likes of Luke DeVere and Robert Cornthwaite - both currently in South Korea - are two Australian defenders who come out of contract this month, but a move on out-of-favour defenders from rival A-League clubs isn’t out of the question when the transfer window opens on January 3.

The team flew back from Wellington on Monday, but did not make anyone available for interview.

VAN'T SCHIP GIVEN VOTE OF CONFIDENCE BY MELBOURNE CITY BOSSES

By 
David Lewis

3 DEC 2014 - 12:57 AM

Melbourne City coach John van't Schip will be given time to turn around his club's stuttering season by Sheikh Mansour's City Football Group (CFG).

The Hyundai A-League is LIVE on Fridays 7.30pm (AEDT) on SBS ONE, SBS HD and online

While Brisbane Roar chiefs pulled the trigger on 2013-2014 A–League and Queensland coach of the year Mike Mulvey, six games into the new campaign, the Dutchman will not be made to pay a quick price for City’s stuttering start to the season.

Instead, the Abu Dhabi-based royal family – which also owns Manchester City, New York City and has a minority share in Yokohama F. Marinos – is expected to give Van't Schip every opportunity to construct a team capable of challenging for A-League glory in what is acknowledged as a competition where the advantages of having a wealthy owner are diluted by the constraints of the salary cap.

City is in seventh spot after eight rounds, 13 points adrift of leader Perth Glory, its defensive fragility laid bare in Round 8 by a rampant Wellington Phoenix, which put five goals past it.

That loss has ignited speculation that Van't Schip could be the next coach to get the axe.

The World Game understands CFG views its investment in Australia as a long-term project where short-term fixes and wholesale changes are not applicable.

Patience has been its byword since it first took control of Manchester City in 2008 where then coach Mark Hughes was allowed 15 months to show what he could accomplish before he was replaced by Roberto Mancini.

It is believed Van't Schip, who took over John Aloisi midway through last season for his second spell in charge at the club, is aware that he has time to get things right.

CFG's $12 million takeover of the club sent expectations soaring and the four-game loan stint of Spanish star David Villa added to the fevered sense of anticipation.

With Villa long gone and uncertainty over whether he will return, not to mention a dip in form that has seen the team leak 10 goals in its past four games, the pressure on Van't Schip has intensified.

A source close to CFG reiterated the group's long-term comittment and said it is encouraged by City’s Youth League side, in second spot on the ladder and viewed as a conveyor belt of talent in the years ahead. Moves are also afoot to develop a self-sustaining academy.

Manchester City took four years to win the Premier League title after its takeover and while Mancini was dispensed with the next season, CFG has a track record of allowing coaches and clubs a gestation period.

Van't Schip's well-established links with Dutch legend Johan Cruyff, whom he briefly played alongside at Ajax, has invested him with extra cache in the eyes of his bosses.

Cruyff coached Barcelona for eight seasons into the mid-90s and Txiki Begiristain (director of football) and Ferran Soriano (chief executive) jumped ship from the Nou Camp to Manchester as City embraced the Catalan way.

City’s only win this season came on the road against Brisbane Roar – the team it faces again at home on Sunday.

Win, lose or draw Van't Schip can rest easy. At least for now.

Oh FFS!!

By

David Lewis

Melbourne City coach John van't Schip will be given time to turn around his club's stuttering season by Sheikh Mansour's City Football Group (CFG).

The Hyundai A-League is LIVE on Fridays 7.30pm (AEDT) on SBS ONE, SBS HD and online

While Brisbane Roar chiefs pulled the trigger on 2013-2014 A–League and Queensland coach of the year Mike Mulvey, six games into the new campaign, the Dutchman will not be made to pay a quick price for City’s stuttering start to the season.

Instead, the Abu Dhabi-based royal family – which also owns Manchester City, New York City and has a minority share in Yokohama F. Marinos – is expected to give Van't Schip every opportunity to construct a team capable of challenging for A-League glory in what is acknowledged as a competition where the advantages of having a wealthy owner are diluted by the constraints of the salary cap.

City is in seventh spot after eight rounds, 13 points adrift of leader Perth Glory, its defensive fragility laid bare in Round 8 by a rampant Wellington Phoenix, which put five goals past it.

That loss has ignited speculation that Van't Schip could be the next coach to get the axe.

The World Game understands CFG views its investment in Australia as a long-term project where short-term fixes and wholesale changes are not applicable.

Patience has been its byword since it first took control of Manchester City in 2008 where then coach Mark Hughes was allowed 15 months to show what he could accomplish before he was replaced by Roberto Mancini.

It is believed Van't Schip, who took over John Aloisi midway through last season for his second spell in charge at the club, is aware that he has time to get things right.

CFG's $12 million takeover of the club sent expectations soaring and the four-game loan stint of Spanish star David Villa added to the fevered sense of anticipation.

With Villa long gone and uncertainty over whether he will return, not to mention a dip in form that has seen the team leak 10 goals in its past four games, the pressure on Van't Schip has intensified.

A source close to CFG reiterated the group's long-term comittment and said it is encouraged by City’s Youth League side, in second spot on the ladder and viewed as a conveyor belt of talent in the years ahead. Moves are also afoot to develop a self-sustaining academy.

Manchester City took four years to win the Premier League title after its takeover and while Mancini was dispensed with the next season, CFG has a track record of allowing coaches and clubs a gestation period.

Van't Schip's well-established links with Dutch legend Johan Cruyff, whom he briefly played alongside at Ajax, has invested him with extra cache in the eyes of his bosses.

Cruyff coached Barcelona for eight seasons into the mid-90s and Txiki Begiristain (director of football) and Ferran Soriano (chief executive) jumped ship from the Nou Camp to Manchester as City embraced the Catalan way.

City’s only win this season came on the road against Brisbane Roar – the team it faces again at home on Sunday.

Oh FFS!!

I would not be worried at all.

When stuff like this comes out it usually follows that the manager is sacked soon after.

http://backofthenet.wikia.com/wiki/Vote_Of_Confidence

By

David Lewis

The Hyundai A-League is LIVE on Fridays 7.30pm (AEDT) on SBS ONE, SBS HD and online

The World Game understands CFG views its investment in Australia as a long-term project where short-term fixes and wholesale changes are not applicable.

Oh FFS!!

When stuff like this comes out it usually follows that the manager is sacked soon after.

I hope your right and CFG aren't really considering a bloke that has a A-League win rate of 29% is good enough for long term investment.

Because even JA was able to achieve 29% in his first Season as an A-league Coach. 

By

David Lewis

Oh FFS!!

I hope your right and CFG aren't really considering a bloke that has a A-League win rate of 29% is good enough for long term investment.

Because even JA was able to achieve 29% in his first Season as an A-league Coach. 

Full confidence of the board.????  10am Thursday announcement for sure. 

• Like 1

I think the board might wait until after the Brisbane game. The only team we defeated this season, they're playing tonight AND they'll be without their international marquee. Oh yeah and we're playing at home! If we lose this one I'd say he's out for sure!

We have a bye next weekend so If we do lose this Sunday it gives CFG two weeks before the derby to find a replacement  ;)

Billed on social media as Kisnorbo answering 'the tough questions'.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/we-need-to-dig-in-collectively/75h57an7xedn1tphk73x69nnp

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo has called on his side to stick together and produce an improved collective effort this Sunday.

The 5-1 loss to the Wellington Phoenix on Sunday was a hard pill to swallow for Kisnorbo but the skipper expressed the need to use these testing times to make the team even stronger.

“It’s about improving our weaknesses day by day as best as we can,” Kisnorbo said.

“We’re not the only team in the world that has gone through hard stages and its up to us as a collective group to bounce back and try and improve our game to get good results.

“I feel like we have to try and keep everyone positive because there is no point of negativity. Its up to the playing group to get the results that we want and win.

“I'm not going to lie, everyone was a bit down, confidence is a big issue but we are the only people that can get us out of this situation.”

The side will come into Sunday’s match looking to put in a positive performance at AAMI Park and Kisnorbo felt it was his role as the captain to rally the team for the contest.

“Ive been in a few relegation battles and that’s pressure. Hopefully I can pass on my knowledge during this difficult stage and hopefully we can kick on,” Kisnorbo said.

“We need to dig in collectively and individually as a group and really push forward and get some confidence back in the team.

“We have to get mentally stronger and prepare for this week's game. We can't worry about last week anymore, we have to think about this week.

“At the end of the day, they are the current champions. They are a good team, a good squad and I think it will be a hard game on Sunday.”

Melbourne City FC sit outside the top six through goal difference and a positive result against the Roar will give Kisnorbo and his side the confidence towards the Melbourne Derby.

We seem to be missing the points in the interview when he was asked:

1. What he has to say to the fans after such a dismal opening two months to the season?

2. Why the defence, with four players who started the majority of the games there last season, continues to be exposed on a weekly basis?

3. Whether it's time for JVS to make a statement and axe a number of veterans?

4. How he's seen his season individually?

5. What the feeling is in defence when he sees opportunities being butchered time and again at the other end of the ground?

6. What the team has tried to actually start getting some results?