Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Melbourne City manager John van't Schip plots major shake-up

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-manager-john-vant-schip-plots-major-shakeup-20141205-120ydx.html

"The beleaguered coach and his team host Brisbane Roar on Sunday in a crunch match for two clubs desperate to stay in the finals race."

Not long ago we were favourites for the title and JVS was saying he didn't feel any greater pressure now that we have Arab money. He's had nearly 12 months to plug the 'obvious' gaps and turn out a team that was strong across the pitch. Looking like a wasted 12 months ATM.

Lynchy just being negative surely.  Would have had more credibility if he added the word "beleaguered"  :droy: 

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/victorious-and-glorious--melbourne-and-perth-set-aleague-standard-20141211-124v8b.html

MELBOURNE CITY

What can you say about the most heavily hyped team in the A-League's 10-year history. The bookies' reaction to the Manchester City takeover was fanciful: making the team that had finished bottom the previous year title favourites was ludicrous on the back of a change of ownership, even if the new owners were among the wealthiest people in the world. This is a salary-capped league with lots of restrictions: you can't simply go and buy talent and stuff your squad with it.

Still, City has been disappointing. The David Villa circus proved a distraction more than a blessing. Robert Koren might retain the ability that made him a Premiership regular for years, but we don't know as we have yet to see him, while Damien Duff has also gone down with injury. It is always a risk signing older players, and City have been burnt before. They will be keeping their fingers crossed about the prospects of the injury-prone Josh Kennedy, due to join in January. Can make the top six, but unlikely to be title contenders unless Koren and Kennedy prove a truly inspirational combination.

Edited by HEARTinator

"What can you say about the most heavily hyped team in the A-League's 10-year history"

That it was you the media that created all the hype. All Lynch needed to do was look at the forum and see for himself that no one predicted we would finish on top this year.

Not sure that I blame Lynchy. The media is doing it's job in getting eyeballs. It's just that our execution has been below par. Blame our management and football department if you need to blame anybody.

It's below par but no one else but the media ever said we would win silverware. And btw Lynch is part of the media.

Was actually the bookies that predicted us to win it. Most of the media scoffed at that idea

Generate the City hype. Get punters to pay thinking they are on a win. Easy money.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/robbie-koren-close-to-debut-for-citys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-victory/story-e6frf4gl-1227158470948

MELBOURNE City star Robbie Koren is making a late dash for Saturday night’s derby after joining in full training along with fellow marquee Josh Kennedy.

At least one more January arrival is on the cards, but City coach John van’t Schip gave little away and urged his players to focus on the four pre-Asian Cup fixtures.

Fingers crossed for both of these to happen.

Yep lets rush back another player, we've had such great success doing so in the past.

It seems a bit subjective, the whole 'rush him back' thing. I thought he was supposed to be ready for the derby and I thought that's what his rehab was working towards. Still, from an outsider's perspective, bringing him back without having a run in the youth team seems like playing with fire a bit.

Yep lets rush back another player, we've had such great success doing so in the past.

It seems a bit subjective, the whole 'rush him back' thing. I thought he was supposed to be ready for the derby and I thought that's what his rehab was working towards. Still, from an outsider's perspective, bringing him back without having a run in the youth team seems like playing with fire a bit.

does he really need to play in the youth league though? The blokes just come from one of the best leagues in the world, what do we really stand to gain from him playing in the youth league? Hes done all the neccasary rehab to come back into the team, I'd see no problem with giving him 20-30 minutes off the bench.

When I saw him training two weeks ago he was training by himself. He must have only just started training with th squad, but that doesn't mean he's ready for a fully fledged match. Look what happened to Germano after doing well in the youth team, he was rushed back in and injured within half an hour due to the extra demands of senior football.

Look maybe it's just a rouse by the club to get Victory worried as to who we will play, but if it's not then it's an extremely poor decision to get him to play as my opinion is he hasn't had enough time to allow his calf to adapt to the conditions of a competitive match.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/robbie-koren-close-to-debut-for-citys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-victory/story-e6frf4gl-1227158470948

MELBOURNE City star Robbie Koren is making a late dash for Saturday night’s derby after joining in full training along with fellow marquee Josh Kennedy.

At least one more January arrival is on the cards, but City coach John van’t Schip gave little away and urged his players to focus on the four pre-Asian Cup fixtures.

Let's hope the other possible player is a central defender or left back. It will be interesting has we are supposed to have no money left under the cap.

Let's hope the other possible player is a central defender or left back. It will be interesting has we are supposed to have no money left under the cap.

I've heard a whisper that we're getting a few hints from the accountants at both Sydney FC and Perth Glory...

• Like 1

A run in the FNYL is about assessing his match fitness and allowing him to play himself into some form, not about us seeing whether he  can play football or not.

Yeah, I don't know enough about how it works at the professional level for footballers, but it would be pretty standard for 90%+ of walk-up best 22 AFL players that had been out as long as Koren had to come back through the reserves and see how he gets through a game with the usual physical stress on his body, while being able to go through the game at 70-80% and not having an adverse effect on anything that really matters.