Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

If Ange had got the gig, he would have had the same players, facilities, budget and promises that JVS did. Could he have done something with that? No one will ever know but if the Socceroos manage a win or even get through to the next round I would think that he would have been successful.

Not sure where to put this.

Apparently Ange Postecoglou believes he was bound to get the coaching gig at Melbourne Heart (for our 1st season, I believe he's saying), but he didn't get it because of the infamous heated discussion Craig Foster had with him on live TV:

The media coverage for which Postecoglou is best remembered in the football community is an SBS interview from 2006 during his final days at Australia’s under-20s coach, after his side had failed to reach the  World Youth Cup.

Craig Foster – with some glancing blows from host Les Murray – went in for the kill with ICAC-like force. ‘‘OK Ange,’’ Foster said, ‘‘but that’s the second time you’ve failed to qualify now. You can’t just point to the players. You’ve got to take responsibility yourself, don’t you?’’

From there, it degenerated into an ugly 12-minute stoush between two men who dislike each other.

‘‘The worst thing for me is that I got defined by it,’’ Postecoglou says. ‘‘It was agenda-driven and there was some personal stuff with ‘Foz’. I’ve never got along well with him. He got sidetracked by that. I’ve been whacked plenty of times. At the end of this World Cup, if things don’t turn out, I could get whacked again. But that wasn’t really a journalist extracting information. It was a personal attack.’’

Postecoglou is convinced those 12 minutes of television cost him jobs at Melbourne Heart and Adelaide United.

‘‘That’s people’s first reference,’’ he continues. ‘‘If you want to appoint Ange Postecoglou, watch this interview. It didn’t paint anyone in a good light. You live with it now. People bring it up all the time. If you Google my name, it’s the first thing that comes up, apparently.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014/australia-2014/ange-postecoglou-fulfils-his-destiny-by-leading-socceroos-to-brazil-20140606-zryex.html

Jeez, how different would the club's history have been if Postecoglou got the Heart job....

I agree with Ange.  Fans at Roar kept referring to this when he was the shock hiring to replace Franky.  

For Ange to succeed as a coach he needs his type of players.  We saw this at Roar when they barely won a game when he was coaching Farina's squad.  We all saw what happened though when he got to choose the personnel!

He might have done passably with the initial squad, but then kicked on in season 2.

Ange isn't the only successful coach our old board knocked back/ ignored.  Its worth remembering that Mulvey was unemployed when they hired Aloisi. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say there's a lot of confusion in the media and elsewhere over the differences between trademarks, business names, trading names, incorporated associations, etc. etc. There are just a handful of trademarks registered that contain the words "Melbourne" and "City", and one of them is the City of Melbourne.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-aka-melbourne-heart-faces-battle-to-win-rights-to-new-name-20140619-zsf9m.html

Interesting point of view that seems to make sense, no on can copyright "Melbourne City" because it is too general.

Possibly true, but "Melbourne City Football Club" is not as general, and isn't that what's being argued over, rather than just "Melbourne City"?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-aka-melbourne-heart-faces-battle-to-win-rights-to-new-name-20140619-zsf9m.html

Interesting point of view that seems to make sense, no on can copyright "Melbourne City" because it is too general.

Possibly true, but "Melbourne City Football Club" is not as general, and isn't that what's being argued over, rather than just "Melbourne City"?

On reflection I am surprised that we didn't just use "Melbourne City Association Football Club" and "Melbourne City AFC."

• Like 1

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2373779/red-devils-to-take-on-a-league-heavyweight-in-friendly-game/?cs=63

Thought saying this was stretching it a bit..... "“This match will be a derby away from home (in reference to the English Premier League rivalry between Manchester United and Manchester City) and that’s a fantastic thing for Ballarat.”

At last.. a kind of game :)

City's (the other one) women are kicking off their season after a three-week break again next week, too :)

Will be looking out for the score. Did someone say they are going to record it and youtube some highlights?

Edited by Falastur

MCWFC always does.. But as for Melbourne I´m not sure they have hired their own Chris Nield yet, they have put out an ad though ;)

I think someone on this forum said that actual attendees record the games themselves, rather than the club doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/coach-john-van-t-schip-says-melbourne-city-must-lift-in-aleague-20140707-zsyth.html?

Melbourne City John van 't Schip has warned that his team's lucrative backing must lead to better A League results.

The good news keeps coming off the pitch for City, who are now owned by EPL giants Manchester City and have secured star Spanish player David Villa next season on a short-term deal.

On Monday, Melbourne unveiled their new playing strips and announced a five-year sponsorship with airline Etihad.

Later on Monday, City players and staff will fly to their English parent club for a training camp.

Van 't Schip said the pressure would now grow on Melbourne City to turn their substantial support into better form.

"The expectations are going to be far higher, that's normal," he said.

"But it's more what you put on yourself as expectations ... it's not really changing for me.

"Of course, as a group, we have to understand that we have to perform better and that's normal.

"If you look at the table the last few years, we're underperforming and that's something we have to get right."

There was also a report last week that City were about to secure English star Frank Lampard on a deal similar to Villa's.

But Melbourne chief executive Scott Munn and van 't Schip said it was only a rumour.

"We've been linked with a lot of other players as well," van 't Schip said.

"Of course, everybody knows Frank Lampard is a great player, but we can't say anything about it because it's all rumours."

At the launch, Munn showed old habits are dying hard as he announced the sponsorship deal with the airline.

"We're extremely excited and proud about this partnership, what we're building here at Melbourne Heart - err, Melbourne City FC," he said.

-AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/coach-john-van-t-schip-says-melbourne-city-must-lift-in-aleague-20140707-zsyth.html#ixzz36kaMF4hk

Scott Munn was on SEN before. Needless to say, instead of actually asking questions that Munn might actually answer (e.g. 'What do you envision David Villa's role with the team being between the start of the season and the time he leaves?'), Mark Allen and Dr. Turf wasted time asking about eight different variations of the 'Is Lampard coming?' question, asking him what he thought of the new kits (perhaps look at them yourselves?), then thanking him for his time. Mark Allen is a waste of space, but I actually expected a bit better from Turfy.

• Like 1

On reflection I am surprised that we didn't just use "Melbourne City Association Football Club" and "Melbourne City AFC."

Would have been the simplest way to overcome any confusion really.

• Like 1

Scott Munn was on SEN before. Needless to say, instead of actually asking questions that Munn might actually answer (e.g. 'What do you envision David Villa's role with the team being between the start of the season and the time he leaves?'), Mark Allen and Dr. Turf wasted time asking about eight different variations of the 'Is Lampard coming?' question, asking him what he thought of the new kits (perhaps look at them yourselves?), then thanking him for his time. Mark Allen is a waste of space, but I actually expected a bit better from Turfy.

I'm not surprised one bit ... I would be more surprised if there were no mentions of AFL during the interview on SEN.

Examples of what I would expect from them:

1/ Whats your AFL side you support?

2/ In AFL, we would expect ....

3/ Whos Lampard? Have you heard of Gary Ablett in the AFL?

• Like 3

I'm not surprised one bit ... I would be more surprised if there were no mentions of AFL during the interview on SEN.

Mark Allen might throw in a question about who has the longest drive at the club.

Meh he's a fan. Been a fan when we were shit. Not a hard core fan but a fan nonetheless.

He also said at the end of the interview to order him some memberships next to Dr Turf.

We are starting to gather some support in the media. I notice Robbo, Andy Maher and Tim Watson all stating they will be following Melbourne City.

It's good. We should (being the hard core fans) embrace these people and develop our club to grow. To have these semi famous people support the club is a good thing. The more the merrier I say.

Meh he's a fan. Been a fan when we were shit. Not a hard core fan but a fan nonetheless.

He also said at the end of the interview to order him some memberships next to Dr Turf.

We are starting to gather some support in the media. I notice Robbo, Andy Maher and Tim Watson all stating they will be following Melbourne City.

It's good. We should (being the hard core fans) embrace these people and develop our club to grow. To have these semi famous people support the club is a good thing. The more the merrier I say.

Andy Maher was already a Heart supporter

Mark Allen and Dr Turf aren't journalists, they have no idea how to get useful info out of people.

Turf is a smart bloke. I'm sure if he'd put some thought into it, he could have come up with a few more useful questions. I agree 100% that Mark Allen is an absolute featherweight and his knowledge on any sport besides golf (yes, even AFL) for a drive-time sports show host is laughable.

Back to topic, at the end of questions Munn commented that 2 foreign players would be trialling with us during the UK tour.  Task for the sleuths out there - who are they?

Lampard

'Yeah ok Mr......Lampard is it? Ok look, we can see how you go and if you are alright we can squeeze you in'

• Like 3

lol couldn't be anymore spot on! It is the most annoying thing about SEN. 

Back to topic, at the end of questions Munn commented that 2 foreign players would be trialling with us during the UK tour.  Task for the sleuths out there - who are they?

Lampard

'Yeah ok Mr......Lampard is it? Ok look, we can see how you go and if you are alright we can squeeze you in'

You know you've well and truly made it as a club if you have to trial Frank Lampard  ;)