Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

“They are of course at the bottom but it doesn’t say that it’s the quality of the team.

Mmmm....what are you implying John

He was being as diplomatic as he could. Also said I was there for advice and let them do their jobs but of course I saw things I would do differently

Top marks or bottom of the class? Mark Bosnich gives his half-term report for season 2013/14

Mark Bosnich   The Daily Telegraph   January 3, 2014

[...]

Melbourne Heart

Win/Draw/Loss: 0-4-8 Ladder: 10

Premiers (regular season) odds: N/A

Champions (grand final) odds: $126

Bozza's prediction: Wooden spoon

The hero: No one so far

The disappointment: Where do we start? No wins this season …

In a nutshell: Hopefully the return of John van't Schip will steady the ship and they will actually start winning.

Bozza's mark: F

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/top-marks-or-bottom-of-the-class-mark-bosnich-gives-his-halfterm-report-for-season-201314/story-fni2fopz-1226794561244

The only team to get a mark worse than a D, and the only team to not have a 'hero'.

Edited by Murfy1

The herald sun at there finest :clap: :clap: :clap:

Next weeks headline: Connection found between soccer fans and gangs

Edited by kingofhearts

I once asked a cop how his night was going only to get abused by him and told to jog on.

I was not drunk and I was just trying to be pleasant.

They can over blow situations immensely because they are uneducated in the sport and only get told soccer fans = bad.

They along with the moronic, uneducated and half witted security we have are not innocent.

The marine flares produce heat so intense they can "burn to the bone", police say.

Each device burns ­at about 2500 degrees - the metal tube reaches 900 to 1000 degrees.

Insp Colsell said he had seen a hard plastic chair literally burn to the ground by the intense heat of a flare.

Slight exaggeration one would think.

• Like 1

The herald sun at there finest :clap: :clap :clap:

Next weeks headline: Connection found between soccer fans and gangs That connection had already been made.

We are waiting for soccer's link to al Qaeda......can't be far, just need few more flares and fire works

The marine flares produce heat so intense they can "burn to the bone", police say.

Each device burns ­at about 2500 degrees - the metal tube reaches 900 to 1000 degrees.

Insp Colsell said he had seen a hard plastic chair literally burn to the ground by the intense heat of a flare.

Unfortunately not. Certainly over 2000 degrees C.

I cant hep but feel the journalist was trying their hardest to get Heart Supporters into that article to make the Problems look more City wide...

The Jay Walking Incident and the thing about the 14 Year Old are hardly going to be covered by Danny Dyer.

Edited by cadete

I cant hep but feel the journalist was trying their hardest to get Heart Supporters into that article to make the Problems look more City wide...

The Jay Walking Incident and the thing about the 14 Year Old are hardly going to be covered by Danny Dyer.

Plus they conveniently left out that it was victory supporters who attacked the sydney fans during one of our games. Just labelling them Melbourne supporters.

A POLICE unit called for back-up after being surrounded by up to 20 Heart supporters earlier that year.

When was this?

This happened when a group of 20 MH supporters were leaving the game to go home and happened to walk past a cop. No doubt a threat! Riot police reinforcements needed asap!

Plus they conveniently left out that it was victory supporters who attacked the sydney fans during one of our games. Just labelling them Melbourne supporters.

The amount of incidents that were not mentioned is ridiculous too.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure most of this stuff was reported when it happened, why did they need to 'report' it again? It is as if the Herald Sun has decided to write this story just because of all of the issues with West Sydney and Victory. If that wasn't going on at the moment this article wouldn't exist.

Well there's only one way to find out..

I am pretty sure most of this stuff was reported when it happened, why did they need to 'report' it again? It is as if the Herald Sun has decided to write this story just because of all of the issues with West Sydney and Victory. If that wasn't going on at the moment this article wouldn't exist.

Actually from what I can recall a lot of this stuff def was not reported, and it appears the journo has asked to look at old football Police Reports to create a story for the standard padding you see each week in the Sunday Papers.

• Like 1

Actually from what I can recall a lot of this stuff def was not reported, and it appears the journo has asked to look at old football Police Reports to create a story for the standard padding you see each week in the Sunday Papers.

Ah, my mistake. There are so many anti-football articles in the Herald Sun that it is easy to lose track.

Although they might be more pro-afl, these papers I think its more that they look for sensasionalist stories, something to beat up. But it comes down to this, the more these things happen, the more they will get reported and the more it hardens the resolve of all sides. 

Plus they conveniently left out that it was victory supporters who attacked the sydney fans during one of our games. Just labelling them Melbourne supporters.Not the first time the media have mis-reported violence at our games.

At a particular match last year the media widely reported an incident caught on tv that involved a wanderers fan being hit as being perpetrated by a heart supporter. When it was in fact a a victory supporter who did it.

Media in this country don't know the difference between a horse and a donkey when it comes to reporting on this.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

Plus they conveniently left out that it was victory supporters who attacked the sydney fans during one of our games. Just labelling them Melbourne supporters.Not the first time the media have mis-reported violence at our games.

At a particular match last year the media widely reported an incident caught on tv that involved a wanderers fan being hit as being perpetrated by a heart supporter. When it was in fact a a victory supporter who did it.

Media in this country don't know the difference between a horse and a donkey when it comes to reporting on this.

You would be surprised how much they know but manipulate to their liking

• Like 2

A POLICE unit called for back-up after being surrounded by up to 20 Heart supporters earlier that year.

When was this? Pretty sure it was after the Cop tried to give a bloke a ticket for Jay Walking...

That was way more than 20 lol

Yes but to be fair they also weren't brawling in the streets either

Yes but to be fair they also weren't brawling in the streets either

and it wassnt a whole week either.

The above has the same kind of logic as an Essendon supporter complaining that Troy Hearfield should have been on the front page of the newspapers for a WHOLE year. 

• Like 1

Heart have erred in letting Foxe trot

Honesty. Loyalty. Perspective. Understanding. Intelligence. Intuition.

All qualities Hayden Foxe has in abundance. Funnily enough, they're same qualities Melbourne Heart need to develop in order to create the type of culture the club has been lacking. The pity is Foxe and the Heart have now parted ways, but then that's a measure of the man. John Aloisi was sacked. Foxe wasn't, but he still chose to go with him. In a country where full-time coaching jobs are in desperately short supply, Foxe walked away from his role as assistant because of his principles. The way he saw it, Melbourne Heart's woeful results were a shared responsibility, as he and Aloisi were fundamentally on the same page. It may be time-honoured practice in most major football countries that the no.2 follows the no.1 out the door, but the fact is we don't see it very often in the Hyundai A-League.

Nonetheless, the unheralded departure of Foxe goes down as another missed opportunity for a team which might be about to join New Zealand Knights as statistically the worst in A-League history. At times likes these, the team could do with the sort of honest virtues embodied by Foxe. And as we all know, the club itself is also in need of an identity.

Pressed on Fox Sports last weekend what exactly the Heart 'stood for', former player Josip Skoko drew a deep breath before eventually replying: 'Umm, I've got to say it's sort of a family club.'' Not exactly a convincing endorsement from someone employed as a Heart ambassador.

Depending on your interpretation, a 'family' club could be construed as a weakness as much as a strength. Certainly there's a legitimate view that the Heart's biggest problem over their short journey is that they've been way too nice.

In a result-orientated business, accountability - both in the dressing room and the front office - seems to have been in short supply. Foxe, like Ante Milicic before him, possesses the sort of strong-willed personality which might have given the team, and the club, what it's been missing. A hard-nosed approach. Now we'll never know.

It's no co-incidence both Foxe and Milicic have been heavily influenced by Tony Popovic, arguably the meanest hombre we've got in the coaching ranks. And when you look what Western Sydney Wanderers have achieved in half the time, it's hard not to wonder what might have been for the Heart if their decision-makers had chosen the boot room as the best place to build the culture of the club.

As it is, we're about to find out if a change of ownership brings a change of direction. The word is the new owners will be publicly unveiled the day after the home game against Newcastle Jets, and it will interesting to see what message they will take to the world.

Living in the shadow of Melbourne Victory - especially without a defined geographical base - isn't easy, but if the Heart truly aspire to become a successful club in their own right, then they have to change their tune. Being a 'development' club - which was their original charter - won't cut it in a market dominated by the AFL and, in football terms, saturated by the Victory.

No, what Melbourne Heart need to do is convince those fans they have, and those they wish to embrace, that they're a serious club with serious ambitions. The only way to do that is to get the right people involved. Losing the likes of Milicic, and Foxe, doesn't help.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/cockerill-opinion-display/Heart-have-erred-in-letting-Foxe-trot/82451

Edited by Tommykins