Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Trying not to sound like an asshole here, but I am not sure he is worth all that trouble. He's had some great games since coming back from injury, but I wouldn't be too upset to see him go

Agreed. If he is worth all that trouble then there'll be a lot of clubs chasing him. With his availability he's one of our most expensive players. We have only five Visa positions and if we're to genuinely challenge for silverware we just have to improve our overall squad and we can't afford to be the "nice guys" of the competition.

The Germano debate (to me anyway):

Arguments to keep:                                                                                                                                             

-Can play a multitude positions well

-Will most likely become an Australian citizen after next season, another visa spot opened up

-Would be picked up by another club in a heatbeat if let go

-Great bloke and actually plays with some pride in the jersey (can't say this about the majority of the players on the list now)

Arguments to get rid of:

-Injury history- With our new facilities surely we can keep him healthy?

-Takes up a visa spot- The guys a proven performer and fully worthy of a visa spot when healthy. It always hard to find players worth visa spots, look at how many misses we have had with them (mifspud, Maycon,Worm) can we really afford to waste half of another season assessing if another player is visa spot worthy when we have one right now? 

I use to be against keeping him but just seeing the way he lefts the team when playing fark, can we really let him go?

If he signs a waiver to say that if he gets injured he immediately leaves and we don't have to pay him out I wouldn't mind him taking a visa spot

Forgot to add that to my points. Should be some type of clause that if he gets a long term injury he should be cut. Completely agree

If he signs a waiver to say that if he gets injured he immediately leaves and we don't have to pay him out I wouldn't mind him taking a visa spot

Forgot to add that to my points. Should be some type of clause that if he gets a long term injury he should be cut. Completely agree

Any injury. Especially if the estimated recovery time is 3-4 weeks lol!

• Like 1

Not possible under the PFA's "standard contract" agreement with FFA.

However, I believe that contracts can be for less than 12 months, so that might be an option.

Was his long term "injury" last season more due to a problem with JA rather than an actual injury? I recall a number of people seeing him training at full tilt and Germano telling people he was ready to play, but was constantly reported as being injured by the club. It wasn't until JA was sacked that he made his way off the injury list.

With the facilities and money available now I expect him to get proper medical care to get his body in the best shape possible. Because over the duration of this club he has stood out as one bloke who didn't play by the mantra "if we win, we win. If we lose, we lose"

• Like 1

Was his long term "injury" last season more due to a problem with JA rather than an actual injury? I recall a number of people seeing him training at full tilt and Germano telling people he was ready to play, but was constantly reported as being injured by the club. It wasn't until JA was sacked that he made his way off the injury list.

With the facilities and money available now I expect him to get proper medical care to get his body in the best shape possible. Because over the duration of this club he has stood out as one bloke who didn't play by the mantra "if we win, we win. If we lose, we lose"

Dunno about last season, but remember he did warm up with the team in an etihad derby warm up this year and also made the trip to wellington but wasn't even on bench

To be honest I have no idea what the go with him is. FWIW I like him as a player when he actually plays (I voted him man of the match against the nix) and if we could get some kind of assurance he wouldn't miss 95% of games I wouldn't have any problems with resigning him.

In regards to this citizenship debate, does anyone even know if Johnny has any intent AT ALL in obtaining citizenship?

Its just that I've heard it all before in regards to other foreigners.  It starts with them being in Australia a few years, someone asks them if they like it here, they politely say "yes", next thing you know the nations football fans are talking citizenship, vying for socceroos etc.  Next thing that happens they get a better offer from overseas and hey presto, they are GONE.

(eg Reinaldo & more recently Traore).  

I'll believe Johnny wants to become a citizen when i hear he's applied for his PR.

I worked it out he has played a total of 52 games for the club, but excluded the game he injured himself 20 minutes in. When he has been on the pitch the team has had a 63% win/draw rate, a 35% win rate, 28% draw rate and a 37% loss. Included are 8 losses of 13 during JAs tenure.

• Like 2

I worked it out he has played a total of 52 games for the club, but excluded the game he injured himself 20 minutes in. When he has been on the pitch the team has had a 63% win/draw rate, a 35% win rate, 28% draw rate and a 37% loss. Included are 8 losses of 13 during JAs tenure.

Given that Germano's been at the club for a very unsuccessful period, Germano's got a pretty significant correlation with the team's success. Just look at Aloisi's 1st season, the 2012/13 season: Melbourne Heart had a 59% loss rate (that is, MHFC lost 16 of its 27 games over the season).

The impression I get watching Germano play in the team is that he provides a very valuable workrate that makes the team overall more driven to win, or at least avoid defeat. As Murdocca said of Germano earlier this month "[he's] a warrior, that natural winner you want in your side".

If Germano remains injury free the rest of this season I'm fine with the club re-signing him for 1 more season as a Visa player. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes. That is we already have a Visa play in Germano who helps the team, so isn't there risk that a new Visa player may not help the team that much at all (even Big European clubs sign players that don't really help out their teams, despite their extensive scouting and recruiting resources)? And then the new player could take a while to fit into the team, as even quality Visa players likes Khalfallah and Marc Janko both took about a third of this season before they were performing at 100% (whereas Germano could conceivably hit the ground running next season, like the rest of the settled squad)? 

I can see arguments both for re-signing and for not re-signing Germano. But overall if Germano can stay fit for the remainder of the season, and keep up his impressive form, then I'd prefer the club to re-sign him for next season. He'd merit being re-signed on low wages for 1 more season IMO, and after that the there'd be the pretty valauable prospect of re-signing him as an Australian player for multiple seasons after the 2015/16 season.

Just an observation but the previous season he came back from injury midway through and again he has come back at a very similar time this season. The most obvious answer could be during offseason his body isn't being maintained properly or he's being over trained. I have no idea what the answer is. If body maintainance is the case then hopefully with our new fascilities will go a long way for a player like Germano where he can have the right resources available to keep his body in prime condition.

Some suggestions that he is acting injured earlier on in the season just don't sit well with me. I simply can't see how someone could want to sit on the sidelines on purpose and not play, let alone the potential to not be resigned due to constant injuries.

• Like 2

Just an observation but the previous season he came back from injury midway through and again he has come back at a very similar time this season. The most obvious answer could be during offseason his body isn't being maintained properly or he's being over trained. I have no idea what the answer is. If body maintainance is the case then hopefully with our new fascilities will go a long way for a player like Germano where he can have the right resources available to keep his body in prime condition.

Some suggestions that he is acting injured earlier on in the season just don't sit well with me. I simply can't see how someone could want to sit on the sidelines on purpose and not play, let alone the potential to not be resigned due to constant injuries.

Maybe he can't handle cold weather.

Maybe he can't handle cold weather.

Its too much of a coincidence that almost anything is possible. I'd like to think after 4 years in Australia his body has adapted to the climate though.

In regards to this citizenship debate, does anyone even know if Johnny has any intent AT ALL in obtaining citizenship?

Its just that I've heard it all before in regards to other foreigners.  It starts with them being in Australia a few years, someone asks them if they like it here, they politely say "yes", next thing you know the nations football fans are talking citizenship, vying for socceroos etc.  Next thing that happens they get a better offer from overseas and hey presto, they are GONE.

(eg Reinaldo & more recently Traore).  

I'll believe Johnny wants to become a citizen when i hear he's applied for his PR.

When I spoke to him he was non-commital. I suspect that he is a bit like us with respect to him - he can see the upside but there are the niggling questions as well. However he certainly can apply for PR now but has yet to do so.

I honestly think this bloke should be signed for next season. Its no coincidence that we have look bloody solid (especially in the middle of the park) since this bloke has been in the 11. He's fuckin work horse who chases, puts pressure on the opposition and helps win back possession more often than not.

Ok his massive down side is his injuries, but with the facilities and capabilities we have currently under the CFG we can get him right. If JVS went to the powers that be and said that we need to find a way to make sure we can get his body right as he is a big part of us winning the league, I’m pretty sure they will do what is necessary to get him right.

I also think that when he got injured early on this season (im sure it was Sydney at home) that he shouldn’t of played and from where i was sitting, didn’t look fit enough to be on the bench, let alone start. The bloke had played 20 minutes in the Youth side the week before and was coming of a long injury spell then. So for me, the blame has to go to JVS for playing him in that game. I actually felt sorry for the bloke especially from the shit he was copping from a lot of blokes in the Active.  

Lets hope for his and our sakes that he is past his problems, pushes forward and is there helping this club win its first title. 

Edited by [LIBBA]

I honestly think this bloke should be signed for next season. Its no coincidence that we have look bloody solid (especially in the middle of the park) since this bloke has been in the 11. He's fuckin work horse who chases, puts pressure on the opposition and helps win back possession more often than not.

Ok his massive down side is his injuries, but with the facilities and capabilities we have currently under the CFG we can get him right. If JVS went to the powers that be and said that we need to find a way to make sure we can get his body right as he is a big part of us winning the league, I’m pretty sure they will do what is necessary to get him right.

I also think that when he got injured early on this season (im sure it was Sydney at home) that he shouldn’t of played and from where i was sitting, didn’t look fit enough to be on the bench, let alone start. The bloke had played 20 minutes in the Youth side the week before and was coming of a long injury spell then. So for me, the blame has to go to JVS for playing him in that game. I actually felt sorry for the bloke especially from the shit he was copping from a lot of blokes in the Active.  

Lets hope for his and our sakes that he is past his problems, pushes forward and is there helping this club win its first title. 

Nobody here doubts his value to the team... he is a great Mr Fixit for a number of positions which are invaluable in this League.

However he spends most of his time in the stable, I would prefer a less talented horse that we could actually get to the track more than five times a year.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

LOL @ anyone who doesn't think we should extend Germano's contract.

Germano, Mooy, Kennedy are the type of players we need in regard to our attack. Maybe Koren too if he wasn't a marquee (yes, unpopular opinion, but when he is played in position Koren does well, not to marquee standard though). Germano is the only bloke that can cross the ball, and that's as a fullback.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Germano, Mooy, Kennedy are the type of players we need in regard to our attack. Maybe Koren too if he wasn't a marquee (yes, unpopular opinion, but when he is played in position Koren does well, not to marquee standard though). Germano is the only bloke that can cross the ball, and that's as a fullback.

Yes he has played LB, RB, midfield and wing but, Tesla, can he goal keep?

• Like 1

Yep. He did in a youth game this season.

• Like 1

Bloody oath he can

Edited by Tonyboozeadams