Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

I think he is going to be one of the real finds this season at RB. I remember seeing him play in the NYL match Engelaar made his debut in and he looked awesome as a wingback.

I'm looking forward to him playing regularly as I think he is one of the few players we had last season that really played with passion and desperation.

• Like 3

10 appearances last season for 694 minutes of football. Didn't appear until Round 16.

Ripamonti seems to have done a great job on getting him match fit.

Needs to make a starting position his own or get Australian citizenship to be retained beyond 2014/15.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming he's injured still?

He hasn't featured even for a few minutes in the three matches in England. Unless Ripamonti can get him fixed again he really has to go as soon as possible. No point in having a player occupying a visa place who's seemingly unavailable most of the time. Disappointing, but that's reality.

• Like 1

He hasn't featured even for a few minutes in the three matches in England. Unless Ripamonti can get him fixed again he really has to go as soon as possible. No point in having a player occupying a visa place who's seemingly unavailable most of the time. Disappointing, but that's reality.

Didn't realise he was injured, any chance we can put him on long term injury list like we did with engelaar/ migliorini, this way and i'm not sure how wages work, we could have Lampard brought in assuming his fees paid outside cap

what if by next season he doesn't take up a visa spot?

i'm torn because i love the way he goes about it as a player and i personally think we play much better with him, but he always seems to be injured lately

He's a great player in the sense that he costs us very little space within the salary cap and is extremely hard working and versatile. 

It's a shame that he is so injury-prone but as others have mentioned, isn't he eligible for Australian citizenship as of next year? 

He's a great player in the sense that he costs us very little space within the salary cap and is extremely hard working and versatile. 

It's a shame that he is so injury-prone but as others have mentioned, isn't he eligible for Australian citizenship as of next year? 

I think if he has indicated he'd like to go on beyond this season and he's not going to cost us a visa from next season onwards, we should definitely persevere with him.

I think if he has indicated he'd like to go on beyond this season and he's not going to cost us a visa from next season onwards, we should definitely persevere with him.

Season 11/12: 1659 minutes 

Season 12/13: 996 minutes

Season 13/14: 694 minutes

Just not enough football to justify retention. When is it we have to reduce to four visa players?

• 2 weeks later...

So, amazingly, Jonny has managed to get this far through pre-season without injuring himself.  If he can keep it up he'll start the season in the best shape he's been in for at least 2 years.  In theory this should prepare him for his best ever season at Heart.

Given that what are people's predictions for his season?

TBH at this stage I think a lot depends on who we sign.  If we add in midfield a Marquee and a world class loan player, he's going to struggle to get the last spot ahead of Mooy et al.  He came to us as a right back, but we've never seen him play there, so I'm reserving my judgement about his potential for that position.

Well, you certainly put the mockers on Germano with this post. He hasn't kicked a pre-season ball since.

Anyone know what's up with him now?

IMO he's deadwood. Occupies a precious visa spot and just isn't available often enough to go on with.

• Like 1

So, amazingly, Jonny has managed to get this far through pre-season without injuring himself.  If he can keep it up he'll start the season in the best shape he's been in for at least 2 years.  In theory this should prepare him for his best ever season at Heart.

TBH at this stage I think a lot depends on who we sign.  If we add in midfield a Marquee and a world class loan player, he's going to struggle to get the last spot ahead of Mooy et al.  He came to us as a right back, but we've never seen him play there, so I'm reserving my judgement about his potential for that position.

Well, you certainly put the mockers on Germano with this post. He hasn't kicked a pre-season ball since.

IMO he's deadwood. Occupies a precious visa spot and just isn't available often enough to go on with.

Totally agree. It would be unacceptable another season of limited availability. Yes he is a solid contributor when fit but his time with us has been so sporadic. I think a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later on his position.  

Totally agree. It would be unacceptable another season of limited availability. Yes he is a solid contributor when fit but his time with us has been so sporadic. I think a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later on his position.  

The most annoying part of the whole saga is that he has in past had the nerve to complain to supporters about how he deserves a better pay packet for all his hard work.

Shony will not be cut - he's one of JvS' favourites. His versatility and game breaking skill is still exactly what our team needs. From the sounds of things our final signing for the beginning of the season will be a centre back so Pat and Rob have some support. Someone like Germano who can link up between the mids and defenders make him important.

Shony will not be cut - he's one of JvS' favourites. His versatility and game breaking skill is still exactly what our team needs. From the sounds of things our final signing for the beginning of the season will be a centre back so Pat and Rob have some support. Someone like Germano who can link up between the mids and defenders make him important.

Not if he's injured. It's not a question of his quality, more so his availability. Pointless persevering with a lost cause. He needs to on the pitch to justify his visa spot. He has had plenty of time to get over niggles but IMO he's not going to, just be one of those blokes that promise so much but can't deliver.