Melbourne Football

League re-start (pseudo pre season)

Shahanga

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

On the ABC news channel the results were prominent all morning along the bottom of the screen, but there was no reporting in the sports bulletins. I suspect Foxtel are playing silly buggers with the video clips. I imagine WU must be pretty aggrieved since their achieving finals football in their first season is a significant story. Anyway, up the Jets, at least for today. 

I just look at my phone these days and there's been bugger all on the ABC News app there. Old-fashioned buzzard that I am I don't like turning on the TV until evening.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just look at my phone these days and there's been bugger all on the ABC News app there. Old-fashioned buzzard that I am I don't like turning on the TV until evening.

I does seem that there might something with the imaging rights, they always used to show the highlights and were pretty good at covering the A-League.

Edited by Mr MO

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I does seem that there might something with the imaging rights, they always used to show the highlights and were pretty good at covering the A-League.

Raises the question in my mind. Does TV make or break football in Australia?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Raises the question in my mind. Does TV make or break football in Australia?

They showed the results at the bottom of the screen but no mention or footage on what’s happening in the league. Coming to finals, you would think it’s worth a mention.

ABC radio is the same, no mention of the sport in sport news bulletins.

It just doesn’t help towards exposure, imagine being a sponsor?

Edited by Mr MO

47 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Might help if we all contacted the ABC and raised this with them. I gather soccer is the largest participation sport in the country, so to ignore the game at its highest level is hardly meeting the interests of its audience. 

It’s indeed interesting they never used to be like this, I wonder if something has changed in the media rights. Plenty of interested in netball suddenly on ABC.

I’m not on social media much but it would hurt to message Paul Kennedy!

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

They showed the results at the bottom of the screen but no mention or footage on what’s happening in the league. Coming to finals, you would think it’s worth a mention.

ABC radio is the same, no mention of the sport in sport news bulletins.

It just doesn’t help towards exposure, imagine being a sponsor?

They do a wrap up in the 6am bulletin.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And if 2 wasn't enough, 3 definitely is. That's our best season ever, right here, right now... 

Highest finish and as of Tuesdays draw we equalled our record points tally too, in a season with one less game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What's interesting to me is that a number of teams have had the chance to put pressure on us for second place and they have all fallen at the final hurdle. Our four points from the Sydney and Adelaide matches have got us there. In the past it would have been us who fell over with the finishing line in sight.

I watched the match and was disgusted with the kayo coverage including the ad break at the 33min and again in the second half at the 66min . This must be a new thing as there has been no ads during play for the rest of this season so i complained to kayo and got a reply " You can watch uninterupted play on Foxtel channel 507 "  thats says it all for me i can see why Foxtel are in debt now, by pissing of their remaining customers, i replied to them that i was an ex customer of Foxtel and will never sign up to Foxtel again if this is the way they treat customers.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I watched the match and was disgusted with the kayo coverage including the ad break at the 33min and again in the second half at the 66min . This must be a new thing as there has been no ads during play for the rest of this season so i complained to kayo and got a reply " You can watch uninterupted play on Foxtel channel 507 "  thats says it all for me i can see why Foxtel are in debt now, by pissing of their remaining customers, i replied to them that i was an ex customer of Foxtel and will never sign up to Foxtel again if this is the way they treat customers.

We've just given Foxtel the flick for a mix of Fetch and Kayo. We won't be going back. Typical foxtel low trick to try and sabotage kayo to get people back. They must think we're as stupid as they are mendacious. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I have Kayo and you can access Channel 507 through the app I thought? I’m pretty sure have access to all Foxtel live channels. The app is horrible to navigate.

Edited by Mr MO

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I have Kayo and you can access Channel 507 through the app I thought? I’m pretty sure have access to all Foxtel live channels. The app is horrible to navigate.

I'll have a look at that. I still can't fathom why we got ad breaks during live play, and foxtel are still shite... 

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'll have a look at that. I still can't fathom why we got ad breaks during live play, and foxtel are still shite... 

Along with the ads during live play, comes the loooong break at half time with the screen showing Kayo," we are in a ad break we will return shortly " the ads could have been played during the half time break and nobody would given a tuppeny cuss so why they were run during live play is a complete cock up from Kayo. If this is how they propose to continue then when and if the FFA go'es to streaming this kind of behavior should be banned

18 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What app are you meaning?

6 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Along with the ads during live play, comes the loooong break at half time with the screen showing Kayo," we are in a ad break we will return shortly " the ads could have been played during the half time break and nobody would given a tuppeny cuss so why they were run during live play is a complete cock up from Kayo. If this is how they propose to continue then when and if the FFA go'es to streaming this kind of behavior should be banned

What app are you meaning?

The Kayo app! 

Disappointed that VAR is coming back for finals.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So after tonight's match, what are the fixtures?

I take it that on Saturday 4 will play 5 and 3 will play 6, but then what happens? I can't find anything on the League website.

Yep that's the structure IIRC.  I suspect that the games will be confirmed straight after our game tonight since league position will be final.

Update:

the official aleague website is listing the two elimination games for this Saturday at 5pm (Aug 22) and then Sunday at 6pm (Aug 23).

interestingly, Wellington are currently scheduled for the Saturday and Geelong United for Sunday since only those two teams can finish 3rd and Perth are guaranteed 6th.  i wonder what would happen if Geelong somehow manage to get third - do they swap around the two teams?

The semis are slated for the following Wednesday (Aug 26) with us playing the early game at 5 pm and Sydney at 8.10 pm.  obviously our opponents are TBC, but the kick off times are there.

The GF is on the following Sunday (Aug 30) at 6.30 pm

https://www.a-league.com.au/fixtures#!/fixtures/s2019/r29

Edited by mattyh001
Update