Melbourne Football

MHFC vs Adelaide - 11/03/13 @ 7.30pm - Rd 24

biancorosso7

Monday night fixture? - probably a bad move for attendance.

Squad? - Not sure of any changes in line. Did read on Twitter that Gerhardt & Coyne did not train today (Wed 6). Obviously, majority of us would like to see the 199 gamer start on the bench, with Meeuwis starting and one R. Garcia with the armband.

Score? MH 2 - ADEL 1

IMO we should at least try these Public Holidays. Unless we do we'll never know the possible outcome.

I would like to see us with Vrankovic and Gerhardt as the CB pairing. Meeuwis, Germano and Kalmar starting in MF and bring Fred on if Kalmar doesn't fire.

Cadete probably won't agree but I think we have to roll the dice a bit.

One advantage of the strange Monday evening start time is that allows people like me who go away for the long weekend to return home in time for the game. I think that who we play has much less influence on the outcome than where we play and the attitude that we bring into the game. I'm beginning to think that rather than the team being unable to win without Fred etc., it can't win without the presence of the number 12 jerseys

IMO we should at least try these Public Holidays. Unless we do we'll never know the possible outcome.

I would like to see us with Vrankovic and Gerhardt as the CB pairing. Meeuwis, Germano and Kalmar starting in MF and bring Fred on if Kalmar doesn't fire.

I am all for rolling the dice - Just not giving up the season to develop NYL players that are not ready.

I def think we need to start Marcel and Tadic.

And I agree at leaving Kalmar at AM.

• Like 1

I am all for rolling the dice - Just not giving up the season to develop NYL players that are not ready.

Agree, Eli needs to earn his spot, as does Fred. I've given up on Matt Thompson being benched, I really wish that he'd find his form

What about a bench appearance from Edwards or Garruccio or the like?

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Vrankovic - Coyne

Germano - - - - - Meeuwis

Fred

Garcia - - - - - - - - - Williams

Babalj

Bench: Bolton, Kalmar, Mebrahtu, Tadic

In: Vrankovic, Tadic. Out: Colosimo, Thompson

I like attacking benches, but I would have Kalmar on field, Fred on bench , Golgol out, and Edwards on bench

Kalmar has been awful away from home but yet for 2 straight home games has been BOG. I get a feeling he will be dropped to the bench for fred though

And I agree at leaving Kalmar at AM. Kalmar has been awful away from home but yet for 2 straight home games has been BOG. I get a feeling he will be dropped to the bench for fred though

Thought he was far from our worst player against Wellington. Set-up the goal away to Sydney. Wasn't that bad away to Jets either tbh.

And I agree at leaving Kalmar at AM. Kalmar has been awful away from home but yet for 2 straight home games has been BOG. I get a feeling he will be dropped to the bench for fred though

Thought he was far from our worst player against Wellington. Set-up the goal away to Sydney. Wasn't that bad away to Jets either tbh.

Your right however Freds a big money player, big time player. This game is basically our last chance to keep in touch with the top 6. This game has got his name written all over it

Fred WAS a big money player.....

He still is. Ok this year, because of his shitty body, he hasn't been able to show us his full form however, his come off the bench for two games now, hasn't set the world on fire but has been solid. We need him to start this game. I would still keep Kalmar on the bench but Fred is our captian. The guy can't lead by example sitting on the bench.

Any banner for Matt Thompson this week?

200 and out? C'mon, even if the only good thing he ever did for us was that brace against the visitors, he deserves our appreciation.

Was just a bit of a joke mate.

I actually think his form has been a bit like the teams this year. Decent at AAMI but woeful on the road.

He still is. Ok this year, because of his shitty body, he hasn't been able to show us his full form however, his come off the bench for two games now, hasn't set the world on fire but has been solid. We need him to start this game. I would still keep Kalmar on the bench but Fred is our captian. The guy can't lead by example sitting on the bench.

Can't agree.

Being solid is not a matchwinner and I'd argue he has not been above this level all season.

Also his body is not ever going to be reliable again, so will never be a consistent force. No more a matchwinner.

We have to deal with that fact and have him off the bench and show confidence to a better performed Kalmar.

Can't agree.

Being solid is not a matchwinner and I'd argue he has not been above this level all season.

Also his body is not ever going to be reliable again, so will never be a consistent force. No more a matchwinner.

We have to deal with that fact and have him off the bench and show confidence to a better performed Kalmar.

People seem to forget how good we were last year when this guy was the main catalyst in getting us to 3rd place on the ladder. Again his body cut down him and our season but the guy was arguably the best player in the league for half of last season.

Kalmar has shown games of good form and yet suddenly we are all on his bandwagon?? I understand yes, we need to support the youth but twice on the road last week and against Newcastle the Nicky just got destroyed. If we were serious about promoting youth Varankovic would still be in the starting line up now. But thats another conversaton

Basically if i was aliosi who would you pick, a proven performer or a 2 game hero????

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

You would pick the guy in form.. So Kalmar

Nope :up:

Did you watch him last week?? Turned the ball over. Couldn't hold a pass. Could not do anything.

Don't get me wrong, i think Kalmar will be a good player in time. But i just don't understand all the love for a game who can't string 2 good games together

He is right, you cannot have a captain sitting on the bench. Hand Garcia the captaincy. Then Fred may sit of the bunnings chairs

You can if the Captain becomes a shadow of the player he was during the season.

Have a new captain for the new year. Let whomever wear the captains armband. Play players on merits not on reputation.

Did you watch him last week?? Turned the ball over. Couldn't hold a pass. Could not do anything.

Don't get me wrong, i think Kalmar will be a good player in time. But i just don't understand all the love for a game who can't string 2 good games together

yeah but how much can you read into that? Every time we play away i can't recall one of our players that have had a great game. Yes Kalmar wasn't good against wellington, but how many of our players were good? The same thing happened when we play perth a few weeks ago he had a great game and scored a nice goal, then had a shocker the week after against newcastle away, but Aloisi didn't drop him against sydney at home and he had another blinder.

Where as someone like thompson plays shit whether its home or away. There's a player who should be dropped

• Like 1

In hindsight, Fred should've started in Wellington. But given we're at home, maybe Kalmar to get another chance. I think Kalmar is fine when we're controlling the game, which usually happens at home. But when we struggle, like in Wellington, he offers very little. Fred can at least cover more ground, pressure the opposition, drop back to help and provide an outlet from defence. Still has a far better all round game than Kalmar I think, while Kalmar has been more dangerous in attack.

We will be bring the children even though it is a late KO for a school night and I need to be up early for work. Not too happy about the fixture time but as JW said it is probably good given the heat. The mid week games have proven a flop for crowds, but then again it is all about TV audiences isn't it? Hopefully a poor crowd will be the end of these later games in the same way the Wednesday night game has gone.

Still hoping for a great win however, and let's make as much noise as possible.

yeah but how much can you read into that? Every time we play away i can't recall one of our players that have had a great game. Yes Kalmar wasn't good against wellington, but how many of our players were good? The same thing happened when we play perth a few weeks ago he had a great game and scored a nice goal, then had a shocker the week after against newcastle away, but Aloisi didn't drop him against sydney at home and he had another blinder.

Where as someone like thompson plays shit whether its home or away. There's a player who should be dropped

No doubt about thompson lol. I don't think anyone on this board can say with a straight face he still deserved to be in this team.

Just would be nice to see Fred given 1 more chance to help our finals push. Thats all.