Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

The Crawford report (of which most was ignored anyway) went in to specific deal regarding population base and the likelihood of support for a football team in each centre. I'm pretty sure the figure was anything under <300k would struggle, and we see this each season as the Mariners struggle financially as well as crowd wise.

100k and marketed well in Australia currently? You're having a laugh.

The Crawford report (of which most was ignored anyway) went in to specific deal regarding population base and the likelihood of support for a football team in each centre. I'm pretty sure the figure was anything under <300k would struggle, and we see this each season as the Mariners struggle financially as well as crowd wise.

I just had a flick through of the crawford report, i don't think it did go into any detail at all about what population bases could support a football team...

• Like 1

I would dare say population base is inextricably linked to potential corporate support as well, not just bums on seats. It's all well and good looking outside your backyard for a major sponsor (like CCM and Masterfoods) however a lucrative revenue stream is selling out those corporate boxes for $30K each, signage, player sponsorship, matchday programmes etc etc.

In saying that, I do believe Canberra has the strongest potential atm. The Brumbies and Raiders do quite well, average around 12/15K with the odd bumper crowd.

An interesting development is Canberra United is to field a team in the NYL from next season (that is their aim). It's a baby step to getting HAL inclusion.

For all of the above points, that's why I believe a Tassie team would also survive. Sufficient population, sufficient commercial/ industry infrastructure to secure sponsors and would no doubt be well supported as Tassies 1st genuine national Comp team. (forget Sheffield Shield). They could do a share arrangement between Launceston and Hobart initially, basically see who supports them the most.

Further, I think the aim for the FFA should be to have 2 teams per capital City (so another Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane side). However, that does seem a way off.

Implementing the FFA Cup will help identify and fast track those clubs who could step up.

I would dare say population base is inextricably linked to potential corporate support as well, not just bums on seats. It's all well and good looking outside your backyard for a major sponsor (like CCM and Masterfoods) however a lucrative revenue stream is selling out those corporate boxes for $30K each, signage, player sponsorship, matchday programmes etc etc.In saying that, I do believe Canberra has the strongest potential atm. The Brumbies and Raiders do quite well, average around 12/15K with the odd bumper crowd.An interesting development is Canberra United is to field a team in the NYL from next season (that is their aim). It's a baby step to getting HAL inclusion.For all of the above points, that's why I believe a Tassie team would also survive. Sufficient population, sufficient commercial/ industry infrastructure to secure sponsors and would no doubt be well supported as Tassies 1st genuine national Comp team. (forget Sheffield Shield). They could do a share arrangement between Launceston and Hobart initially, basically see who supports them the most.Further, I think the aim for the FFA should be to have 2 teams per capital City (so another Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane side). However, that does seem a way off.Implementing the FFA Cup will help identify and fast track those clubs who could step up.
Tassie team would never survive, neither city has a big enough population to sustain a team and it wouldnt work making it a tassie team cos its a massive trek between the two major cities. can't expect half the fan base to travel 2+ hrs for every home game Edited by malloy

I just had a flick through of the crawford report, i don't think it did go into any detail at all about what population bases could support a football team...

There are actually two reports which in my mind seem to be routinely conflated into one in the public sphere - the Crawford Report, which sought to address the governance issues in the game, and the NSL taskforce, which looked at how reform the top flight.

I would dare say population base is inextricably linked to potential corporate support as well, not just bums on seats. It's all well and good looking outside your backyard for a major sponsor (like CCM and Masterfoods) however a lucrative revenue stream is selling out those corporate boxes for $30K each, signage, player sponsorship, matchday programmes etc etc.In saying that, I do believe Canberra has the strongest potential atm. The Brumbies and Raiders do quite well, average around 12/15K with the odd bumper crowd.An interesting development is Canberra United is to field a team in the NYL from next season (that is their aim). It's a baby step to getting HAL inclusion.For all of the above points, that's why I believe a Tassie team would also survive. Sufficient population, sufficient commercial/ industry infrastructure to secure sponsors and would no doubt be well supported as Tassies 1st genuine national Comp team. (forget Sheffield Shield). They could do a share arrangement between Launceston and Hobart initially, basically see who supports them the most.Further, I think the aim for the FFA should be to have 2 teams per capital City (so another Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane side). However, that does seem a way off.Implementing the FFA Cup will help identify and fast track those clubs who could step up.
Tassie team would never survive, neither city has a big enough population to sustain a team and it wouldnt work making it a tassie team cos its a massive trek between the two major cities. can't expect half the fan base to travel 2+ hrs for every home game

I dunno mate. I reckon they'd get 10k odd at either venue with individual, city based fans. Hawthorn get more to games in Launceston, and Hobart regularly gets 12000+ to Test matches.

Edited by Benched

Didnt Victory only pull 4k or something for their game? I watched last years ALeague final in a busy Hobart pub and I had to ask them to put it on and was the only one watching it.

If AFL think a team wont work there, then Im not sure if itll work for ALeague.

1, Canberra

2, Auckland

3, Wollongong

4, Tasmania

Or, a revamp of NZ with 2 teams one called south island other north island

Now all 4 of the list except Tasmania I see as being viable, although football can really get in before the AFL do down there, I believe to benefit the development they should have a team that rotates between Hobart to launceston maybe even davenport.

Canberra I think have the facilities and have a massive link to AIS could be massive for Australian football.

Auckland has had 18,000 and 14,000 strong crowds, they either add Them in or do the north south island theory that I made in the first little paragraph

3, wollongong, My knowledge isn't that great but I'm sure they had a NSL team? I think they need to be given a license

In 2007, a preseason friendly between Victory and Adelaide in Launceston drew 8061 ppl.

This seasons match drew 6238. Yes disappointing, however shows there is interest.

Wollongong had an NSL team, and when they won back to back titles in 1999/2000 they struggled to get crowds over 3000.

I don't think Wollongong is ready, yet. It's Rugby League central there.

1, Canberra

2, Auckland

3, Wollongong

4, Tasmania

Or, a revamp of NZ with 2 teams one called south

South island can barely support its hospital system let alone a franchise of an unpopular Australian football code. Auckland could be interesting, but the Kungz/Knights weren't especially succesful. NZ derby might be interesting though.

So you think putting hoops on a shirt is going to turn AFL supporters into football supporters? Lol

I know some bloody passionate Geelong/AFL club supporters that would follow anything their club did, reckon it could potentially work - not that i think Geelong is at all viable as an A-League destination.

Edited by Che

YES! That's its! We must put hoops on shirts and that will turn all AFL supporters into Football supporters!

Obviously that is not all it would take, but it is a step in the right direction. Linking the club with the city would be another thing.

'Our club

Our city'

Obviously I am no marketing genius but something like that could work.

There is of course the stadium issue though.

Can't see the FFA expanding the comp until the end of the next TV deal in 4 years. If crowds and viewers continue to rise then we can expect a better TV deal and more money to spread around.

Hopefully the NPL is a success and we can see clubs build towards becoming an A-League club, teams like Sunshine Coast have already expressed an interest in using the NPL as a stepping stone to the A-League.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Some murmurs on Twitter about Ipswich being in the A-League in the foreseeable future? Pretty random but oh well.

http://leaveforthecup.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/go-west_22.html

Cannot really see this happening unless back by a sane millionaire

Agreed. It will be in an urban area where the expansion. Wouldn't Canberra be next?

I'd say Canberra and Wollongong should be next too, followed by a Tassie team and a Queensland one (Ipswich, Gold Coast or Townsville done properly this time).

But as jw said, stadium issues and the overall long-term stability of the 10 current clubs should be a priority first.

can't ever see Tasmania getting up as the North/South divide will be too big of an issue to overcome, added to the lack of any semi-decent rectangular stadiums.

So far on the money it isn't funny. North have shown that they have no case for an a league side by averaging just 5K in two fixtures over the last 2 years.

No doubt that football is much bigger in Hobart and can't wait to see the turn out for the Victory vs Wanderers friendly I'd expect close to 10K.

Bellerive Oval is currently going through a $30 million upgrade and is the only option.

But your right if their is ever an a-league team based out of this state it must be based solely out of one city. The divide is greater than ever.

• Like 1

can't ever see Tasmania getting up as the North/South divide will be too big of an issue to overcome, added to the lack of any semi-decent rectangular stadiums.

So far on the money it isn't funny. North have shown that they have no case for an a league side by averaging just 5K in two fixtures over the last 2 years.

No doubt that football is much bigger in Hobart and can't wait to see the turn out for the Victory vs Wanderers friendly I'd expect close to 10K.

Bellerive Oval is currently going through a $30 million upgrade and is the only option.

But your right if their is ever an a-league team based out of this state it must be based solely out of one city. The divide is greater than ever.

I've never been able to fully understand the whole North/South business, to me it seems petty but I'd rather get an actual Tasmanian's take on the whole situation.

If Tassie isn't a viable option, then perhaps Auckland? I don't know, I'm just throwing around names.

I've never been able to fully understand the whole North/South business, to me it seems petty but I'd rather get an actual Tasmanian's take on the whole situation.

If Tassie isn't a viable option, then perhaps Auckland? I don't know, I'm just throwing around names.

You could only make another NZ team viable once Wellington becomes a little bigger. Their website says they are trying to get 4k members this year, which says all you need to know. 

I am one of those people that are of the opinion that the A-league shouldn't get any bigger than it is until its obvious that there needs to be an expansion. The FFA would be wise to try and make the current clubs stronger and then next time the TV deal comes around then look at it. Besides, if I were the FFA I would be doing everything I could this season to embed the A-league as the major summer sport, cricket is falling down so its the perfect time to...well basically kick it whilst its down haha.

• Like 1

Have no idea how some of you guys know so much about Tasmania and certain rivalries.

I think things will take time we certainly have to improve, targeting 4k members is a joke. We need to get each club achieving 10K members and averaging home attendances of 10K before expansion goes to far.

Jimmy if there were ever 2 teams based out of Tasmania (highly unlikely) I would hate the Launceston team more than the Visitors!

No one knows what shape the A-league will be in or what sort of stature football will have in 15 years. It could stagnate and collapse or it could continue to boom. We do have a pretty good idea the population will be close to double what it is now around then though. You can't just flat out say it can't happen.

No one knows what shape the A-league will be in or what sort of stature football will have in 15 years. It could stagnate and collapse or it could continue to boom. We do have a pretty good idea the population will be close to double what it is now around then though. You can't just flat out say it can't happen.

Well it's more like 50 years for the population of Australia is going to double. And in that time Tasmania is likely to remain stagnant. Ipswich is going to double in 15 years though.

For my twopennuth i would like to see a Canberra team first and then maybe a second in Qld or maybe woolonggong. But has has been stated we must be very stable with the teams we have now before expanding. Ithink 12teams would be ideal and then a second tier with promotion and relegation.