Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Rocchi would barely make a dent off the field. There's only really been two or maybe three who have in the entire league's history; Kewell at MV, Del Piero and maybe Yorke but that was before I followed the league. There's only a few players out there who would. Cahill, Raul and Ronaldinho types. That doesn't there isn't good marque options out there, just the type we'd be likely to get is of the Ono ilk. A quality player who will bring crowds not with his name but by lifting the team ala WSW.

Sure Rocchi would be perfect for us but he, or most of our marque targets won't do much for us off the field straight away.

Lol, so Heskey has had no impact?  :droy:

His clearly talking about off the field in crowd figures and membership terms...

And his right, Tinkler's cheap memberships the season before did a lot more to enhance Jets crowd numbers than the arrival of Heskey.

Correct. Cheaper memberships (like we had last year) are a better drawcard than a cap, I Believe.

Yes, but do you "believe"?

Yes, and "yes".

The same argument has been put forward before, but essentially the marquee signing should do one of two things (ideally both):

1) Allow you to dominate the league in such a way, that more fans come to watch; or

2) Attract world football fans who are familiar with a player's career/reputation to games.

I would argue that the latter will mostly be in the 35+ age bracket. The former would usually be a number 10 or a number 9 with some flair and ability to create. Neither of these types grow on trees. The younger players should be pushing for big contracts in Europe, while the older well-known players will be highly sought after in asia and other developing leagues like the MLS.

Due to the above, the player is also unlikely to sign for any more than one season.

Rocchi would barely make a dent off the field. There's only really been two or maybe three people who have in the entire league's history; Kewell at MV, Del Piero and maybe Yorke but that was before I followed the league. There's only a few players out there who would. Cahill, Raul and Ronaldinho types. That doesn't there aren't good marque options out there, just the type we'd be likely to get is of the Ono ilk. A quality player who will bring crowds not with his name but by lifting the team ala WSW.

Sure Rocchi would be perfect for us but he and most of our marque targets won't do much for us off the field straight away.

I agree that there are but a handful of players who on name alone would generate interest - Beckham, Kewell, etc.

But Rocchi is, IMO, just as good as almost all the other 'names' mentioned in this thread. You don't just bring in a player and expect his name alone to sell the club to potential supporters. You have to market him properly. And with the right marketing I would say Rocchi would be really good for MHFC.

• Like 1

We already have one of the best known footballers in Australia with Harry Kewell, and if he remains largely injury free he'll be in the top tier of players in the A-League. Kewell playing well will attract a significant amount of supporters who appreciate a 'name footballer'.

So, given that we already have such a well known footballer in Kewell, I'd like Heart to try to sign an international marquee who can attract supporters because he'll dominate the league, like Shinji Ono at the Wanderers. That player could be Rocchi, or any one of a long list of candidates, as the list of possible international marquees grows a lot longer if you're not especially fussed about the footballer's name and reputation in Australia.

• Like 2

We already have one of the best known footballers in Australia with Harry Kewell, and if he remains largely injury free he'll be in the top tier of players in the A-League. Kewell playing well will attract a significant amount of supporters who appreciate a 'name footballer'.

So, given that we already have such a well known footballer in Kewell, I'd like Heart to try to sign an international marquee who can attract supporters because he'll dominate the league, like Shinji Ono at the Wanderers. That player could be Rocchi, or any one of a long list of candidates, as the list of possible international marquees grows a lot longer if you're not especially fussed about the footballer's name and reputation in Australia.

Agree that Harry provides the media attention that few others in the HAL can - even if he isn't our designated marquee player he has that status by default. What I want to see is a striker that has a reputation for banging them in - he doesn't have to have marquee status in terms of being very well known. If he bangs them in he'll be a cult hero and the word will get around.

• Like 1

Did anyone look at the a-league marquee targets in FourFourTwo
They where not bad at all
This is the list of players mentioned:
- Raul Gonzalez 
- Francesco Totti
- Juan Roman Riquelme
- David Trezeguet
- Angelos Charisteas
- Shunsuke Nakamura
- Yasuhito Endo
- Jose Antonio Reyes
- Diedier Drogba 
- Alvaro Recoba 

Did anyone look at the a-league marquee targets in FourFourTwo

They where not bad at all

This is the list of players mentioned:

- Raul Gonzalez 

- Francesco Totti

- Juan Roman Riquelme

- David Trezeguet

- Angelos Charisteas

- Shunsuke Nakamura

- Yasuhito Endo

- Jose Antonio Reyes

- Diedier Drogba 

- Alvaro Recoba 

Would lose my shit if we got Endo or Nakamura, both are better players than Ono in my opinion.

I reckon the only viable one for us there is probably Charisteas however.

Agree that Harry provides the media attention that few others in the HAL can - even if he isn't our designated marquee player he has that status by default. What I want to see is a striker that has a reputation for banging them in - he doesn't have to have marquee status in terms of being very well known. If he bangs them in he'll be a cult hero and the word will get around.

personally i think that makes his signing all the better.  kinda means that we have the opportunity to have three not two marquees.

Florent Malouda signs for Trabzonspor. Be interesting to see how he goes after being frozen out at Chelsea for so long.

He wasn't frozen out. He froze himself out. 

Exactly, guy didn't give a shit if he was training with the kids, end of the day he was still getting paid, and could've left if he really wanted to a lot earlier, he was a great player for us once upon a time, but has not handled this situation at all well, shouldn't have made himself out to be the victim.

Agree that Harry provides the media attention that few others in the HAL can - even if he isn't our designated marquee

Geplayer he has that status by default. What I want to see is a striker that has a reputation for banging them in - he doesn't have to have marquee status in terms of being very well known. If he bangs them in he'll be a cult hero and the word will get around.

Gekas?

Kenwyne jones rumored to be leaving stoke, would be the perfect marquee, tall strong could hold up the ball would help and wingers and kewell and when he scores in the derby and does a back flip the massive Trinidadian with the dreads would pull great crowds at aami

• Like 1

I've been overseas for 5 weeks, I'm back and Heart hasn't signed a single player since I left.  :wacko:

I know that they weren't specifically waiting for me to return but is anything happening there?

Germano got to run around without a shirt hooked up to some computers and cameras?

I've been overseas for 5 weeks, I'm back and Heart hasn't signed a single player since I left. :wacko:

I know that they weren't specifically waiting for me to return but is anything happening there?

Clint Bolton held a lunchtime kick-about in the Fitzroy Gardens last Friday but couldn't find a marquee player. Edited by HEARTinator

I've been overseas for 5 weeks, I'm back and Heart hasn't signed a single player since I left.  :wacko:

We're too busy hyping up a match against a scratch team in Shepparton to actually sign anyone.