Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

The reason Stankovic was released is because he is finished. It's Italy, he would have had another 5 seasons in him, but he's body isn't holding up anymore. He will get injured and miss a lot of our season if we signed him. Not a good move.

I reckon he could have a season or two left in him. Richard Garcia looked like a big risk, given the numerous months he missed due to injury in seasons prior to joining Heart, but he turned out to be one of Heart's best signings.

Most marquees that look to join the A-League will be players like Shinji Ono, who have had some injuries over their career. So IMO it's a matter of A-League clubs being able to distinguish players who are too injured and past it, and players who have maybe had some injured but still have a lot to offer.

On reflection, I'll give Heart a little bit more leeway and say that there maybe hasn't been a great marquee worth signing this off-season, that wouldn't cost Heart 2 million or something. Hopefully the rest of the squad will be sorted out soon enough. Munn suggested that the full squad would be sorted out around the beginning of July, I recall. Also, given that we didn't make the finals, Heart have had a real long time to look for players to sign, so those remaining signings should be sorted out rather soon.

On reflection, I'll give Heart a little bit more leeway and say that there maybe hasn't been a great marquee worth signing this off-season, that wouldn't cost Heart 2 million or something. Hopefully the rest of the squad will be sorted out soon enough. Munn suggested that the full squad would be sorted out around the beginning of July, I recall. Also, given that we didn't make the finals, Heart have had a real long time to look for players to sign, so those remaining signings should be sorted out rather soon.

He certainly did indicate that. My reading of the situation is that we haven't made the signings we anticipated we would make - or not yet anyway. Which is disappointing, because the whole idea was to get the squad together earlier rather than later to get a good pre-season into them. I can't see us challenging for the Premiership with the squad we have at the moment. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure this happens every time the club announce a planned date for something.  Aloisi before last season - "We're looking at a few players. We need to make sure the foreigners we pick up are the right ones. We are hoping by the start of pre-season in June our squad will be full".  As I remember it we hadn't signed anyone by June.  I honestly don't understand why they announce these plans to the media if they aren't completely confident of meeting them.

Creates a buzz that the club is searching and has ambition to have a full squad of players very early in the preseason. Not totally disagreeing with you Herman Cain but knowing the club has been striving to find players by a certain date but hasn't quite yet achieved its goal is better than wondering what the hell they are doing, what their ambitions are and asking why theyre not wanting all players to get a full preseason in. This way it's clear to supporters and others they want all these things to happen and are being proactive.

• Like 1

Not sure if he's been mentioned but what about Sébastien Squillaci??? Just finished with arsenal and as far as I know is not signed with anyone yet.

As an Arsenal supporter, a big NO from me. He looked like he'd forgotten how to play football and has similar pace attributes as a Sloth.

• Like 1

Not sure if he's been mentioned but what about Sébastien Squillaci??? Just finished with arsenal and as far as I know is not signed with anyone yet.

As an Arsenal supporter, a big NO from me. He looked like he'd forgotten how to play football and has similar pace attributes as a Sloth.

Fair enough, tbh never really took any notice of him just heard he's out of contract

Speaking of Arsenal players, how about Marouane Chamakh?

I see he has one year to go on his Arsenal contract after returning from his loan to Westham, but they might be willing to let him go for a couple of million, which I think would be a great price for him considering he's only 29yo!

If Heart were willing to pay Norwich a transfer fee for Holt, I'd consider putting in a feeler for Chamakh and see what Arsenal comes back with.

I see he has one year to go on his Arsenal contract after returning from his loan to Westham, but they might be willing to let him go for a couple of million, which I think would be a great price for him considering he's only 29yo!

If Heart were willing to pay Norwich a transfer fee for Holt, I'd consider putting in a feeler for Chamakh and see what Arsenal comes back with.

tbh its something that i have thought about too, but I get the feeling Chamakh would want too bigger wage and that he just too poor a work ethic on the field to justify.  after all, Chamakh was given a great second chance at the Hammers and didnt make the most of it.

tbh its something that i have thought about too, but I get the feeling Chamakh would want too bigger wage and that he just too poor a work ethic on the field to justify.  after all, Chamakh was given a great second chance at the Hammers and didnt make the most of it.

Looks like he's going to Spain. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/arsenals-marouane-chamakh-set-to-join-levante/404675-5-21.html

This guy getting 65,000 GBP per week - astonishing!

Im sure they did this but if I were in hearts position come the start of preseason I would have my main marquees that I'd want to sign up eg. Holt, Karagounis. But I would still be searching for other potential marquees in case my first options fall through. I'm hoping they did this from day one and didnt rely on signing one of those two without a back up plan. With these signings they have to plan for the worst hope for the best.

I would genuinely end my life if we

1) even looked at signing Chamakh

2) signed Chamakh

3) paid a transfer fee for him.

The guy hasn't been good for 5 years. A lazy, overpaid turd with an incredibly overinflated opinion of himself.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 2

Adelaide just announced two major signings. Both Spanish players. Come Heart just announce something. Fark

Everyone looks forward to hearing progress on the signing of players side of things but you really want them to sign anyone up just so you can hear an announcement? And then of course you will whinge and complain that they sign shit players.

3 months away from the season and a minimum of 2 signings to be made to complete a starting 11 squad. Need to make calculated decisions not rash ones.

Edited by n i k o

Adelaide just announced two major signings. Both Spanish players. Come Heart just announce something. Fark

Everyone looks forward to hearing progress on the signing of players side of things but you really want them to sign anyone up just so you can hear an announcement? And then of course you will whinge and complain that they sign shit players.

3 months away from the season and a minimum of 2 signings to be made to complete a starting 11 squad. Need to make calculated decisions not rash ones.

I fully agree that Heart needs to make careful and calculated decisions. Nonetheless, I do think that Munn and Didulica mismanaged expectations, and gave people the sense that our squad would be effectively complete by now, with possibly the exception of a big international marquee.

I'd say all of Heart's 4 signings have been received very well by supporters. It's still the case, though, that the club only has a squad of 17, because of the big clean-out we (thankfully) had at the end of last season. Heart's done some real good work this off-season, but the job isn't done yet.

I fully agree that Heart needs to make careful and calculated decisions. Nonetheless, I do think that Munn and Didulica mismanaged expectations, and gave people the sense that our squad would be effectively complete by now, with possibly the exception of a big international marquee.

I'd say all of Heart's 4 signings have been received very well by supporters. It's still the case, though, that the club only has a squad of 17, because of the big clean-out we (thankfully) had at the end of last season. Heart's done some real good work this off-season, but the job isn't done yet.

Absolutely the job is far from done and more than likely will get more difficult with each passing week. As I said on the previous page though, from a club perspective it is vital that they send the message that they are striving to have a full squad before preseason starts. It's much more important that they have sent the message to supporters and others that they are being proactive. Had they said they want the squad finalised by July/August people on this forum would be criticising them that players wouldn't get descent preseason ect ect. If they hadn't made any announcement as to when the full squad would be finalised they would be castrated on this forum. It would have been the same hostile environment on this forum as before they got rid of Colosimo, Thompson and Fred.

I feel they did the right thing with the announcement and as far as I've heard and read have been working hard to achieve their goal but unfortunately have fallen slightly short. But that doesn't mean it gives us license now to start getting agitated and pissed off all over again at management. Im not directing that at anyone in particular but it's a feeling based on some of the responses over the last couple of days.

I feel they did the right thing with the announcement and as far as I've heard and read have been working hard to achieve their goal but unfortunately have fallen slightly short. But that doesn't mean it gives us license now to start getting agitated and pissed off all over again at management. Im not directing that at anyone in particular but it's a feeling based on some of the responses over the last couple of days.

As one of those who has commented in the way you mention I'm quite happy to cop the criticism. This is an open forum and everyone is entitled to express their view in a reasoned manner. At this point I feel that we have been misled by some previous statements from MHFC - or perhaps comments attributed to MHFC would be more correct - and I'm not happy about that.

• Like 1

Fred, Thompson, Colosimo and Bolton OUT, Wielart, Kewell, Murdocca and Ramsay IN. A pretty good swap over so far. Need a quality striker to fill the gap left by Tadic. Another goalkeeper looks on the way according to news paper talk. Need to have alternatives for DMac and Hoffman. Still work to be done by JA, JD and Munn to have a squad that can last a full season and be able to cope with injuries and make the finals. Great to see Mate at training and looking in good shape.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, Scott Munn said on the 31st of May that Heart would complete the signing of "at least two foreign players within the next 10 days" (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1154156/heart-still-set-on-kewell"). In that same article, Munn said that Heart were "focusing heavily on filling our three visa spots".

John Didulica said in an article on May 29 that "We would expect any foreign-based players and new people we sign to be here by early July, and that would be the case for Harry" (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/kewell-must-be-fit-for-heart-start-20130528-2n9h8.html).

Scott Munn even tweeted on the 21st of May, in response to a tweet asking "Hi @scott_munn, wondering if the Club has a date by which it would like to have all signing complete and preseason in full swing? #goheart", that "all [signings are] to be completed over [the] next 3 weeks".

I vividly recall Munn saying in a recent radio interview that our squad was meant to be settled around the start of July, although the signing of an international marquee might take longer.

I don't bring this up to blame or berate Heart. Any criticisms I offer are meant to be constructive. I only want the club to make sure that its statements are as truthful as possible, and that there isn't a wide chasm between what the club says and what the club does. I'd like to hear more from the club about how it plans to fill the last 6 spots on our squad list. Recently, Heart was talking about using all 5 of our VISA spots, and securing 2 more 'major signings'. Now the only future events the club is talking about are Garcia and a backup keeper, who might be Velaphi. I'd like to know what happened, and what the club is trying to make happen with regards to our remaining 6 squad spots.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

As one of those who has commented in the way you mention I'm quite happy to cop the criticism. This is an open forum and everyone is entitled to express their view in a reasoned manner. At this point I feel that we have been misled by some previous statements from MHFC - or perhaps comments attributed to MHFC would be more correct - and I'm not happy about that.

Forum would be pretty boring if we all agreed that's for sure. Alarm bells haven't quite gone off yet for me, we've had some setbacks the last few weeks regarding some players we were after. However I will start wondering whats going on if we still havent heard anything new before our first preseason game.