Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Karagounis linked with the Heart yet again according to 442. (Make of that what you will...)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/heart-makes-play-for-greek-stargiorgos-karagounis/story-fn63e0vj-1226673971081

Would be hilarious if its true and ends up happening.

shame he couldnt play in the Derby though if it were to eventuate

Do we really need another midfielder? I thought our marquee target was going to be a striker

Karagounis linked with the Heart yet again according to 442. (Make of that what you will...)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/heart-makes-play-for-greek-stargiorgos-karagounis/story-fn63e0vj-1226673971081

Would be hilarious if its true and ends up happening.

shame he couldnt play in the Derby though if it were to eventuate

Do we really need another midfielder? I thought our marquee target was going to be a striker

I agree but I dont think many would be complaing if we signed him. The blokes still a beast at 36

19.78% it will happen. Ive done the maths.

• Like 1

IIRC Kewell has played upfront as the lone striker a number of times for the Socceroos (particularly recently too in terms of the last couple of times he played for the team).  given his age (and the fact his time off will have taken a yard off his pace too) i wouldn't be too surprised to see him more central.  

I'm still not convinced that playing with 2 DMs is better than playing with 1 DM in the middle like we had with JvS.

If you think about it, under JvS we had 6 players defending (inc. Keeper) and 5 attacking whereas right now we have 7 players defending and 4 attacking.

I guess this season with a more settled coach and a younger and better prepared line-up we will see which system works better. Look at the figures below - I'll excuse JvS's first season because it was a brand new team in our first season - compare JvS's second season to Aloisi's last season. Yikes! I'm not giving Aloisi the same leniency for his first year because he didn't have to set his team up from scratch. I will however give him another chance this season after starting with an almost clean slate and getting rid of the players that had to go.

If the figures in red below however do not improve this season then Aloisi needs to be shown the door.

Under JvS:

2010/11: 30 games

Goals Scored: 32

Goals Against: 42

Leading Goal Scorer: 8 - Aloisi

2011/12: 27 games

Goals Scored: 35

Goals Against: 34

Leading Goal Scorer: 9 - Babalj

Under Aloisi

2012/13: 27 games

Goals Scored: 31

Goals Against: 40

Leading Goal Scorer: 6 - Tadic, Garcia

I'm still not convinced that playing with 2 DMs is better than playing with 1 DM in the middle like we had with JvS.

If you think about it, under JvS we had 6 players defending (inc. Keeper) and 5 attacking whereas right now we have 7 players defending and 4 attacking.

I guess this season with a more settled coach and a younger and better prepared line-up we will see which system works better. Look at the figures below - I'll excuse JvS's first season because it was a brand new team in our first season - compare JvS's second season to Aloisi's last season. Yikes! I'm not giving Aloisi the same leniency for his first year because he didn't have to set his team up from scratch. I will however give him another chance this season after starting with an almost clean slate and getting rid of the players that had to go.

If the figures in red below however do not improve this season then Aloisi needs to be shown the door.

Under JvS:

2010/11: 30 games

Goals Scored: 32

Goals Against: 42

Leading Goal Scorer: 8 - Aloisi

2011/12: 27 games

Goals Scored: 35

Goals Against: 34

Leading Goal Scorer: 9 - Babalj

Under Aloisi

2012/13: 27 games

Goals Scored: 31

Goals Against: 40

Leading Goal Scorer: 6 - Tadic, Garcia

Ok, so your giving more leniency to JVS becasue he had to start from scratch. :droy:

What about the fact that JVS got to pick his entire intial squad - How many coaches get that luxury? :hmm:

Or the fact that JVS's intial squad had a lot more money assigned to it than JA's? :hmm:

Or the fact the JVS was paid probably twice that of what JA is earning? :hmm:

In fact some of the players that recieved the most criticism on here last season from posters were actually the highest paid players in the team all of whom were signed on to long term deals by JVS. :up:

Edited by cadete

Yes, but JvS turned that around in Season 2, didn't he? That's why I said I'll give Aloisi the benefit of the doubt and see how he performs in his season 2 - this is now his team and he can mould it as he likes. If he does not better JvS's figures with the extra focus and money the football department is getting this season then he needs to go.

What I wanted to highlight here is the difference in playing 1 defensive mids to 2!

It's the difference between going out to not concede goals and going out there to score goals!

It's the difference between a coach who goes out to not lose as opposed to a coach who goes out to win!

Edited by Red or Dead

Yes, but JvS turned that around in Season 2, didn't he? That's why I said I'll give Aloisi the benefit of the doubt and see how he performs in his season 2 - this is now his team and he can mould it as he likes. If he does not better JvS's figures with the extra focus and money the football department is getting this season then he needs to go.

What I wanted to highlight here is the difference in playing 1 defensive mids to 2!

It's the difference between going out to not concede goals and going out there to score goals!

It's the difference between a coach who goes out to not lose as opposed to a coach who goes out to win!

No, it's not. That DM position isn't that static...in effect its minimally different to playing with 1 CM and 1 DM.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1158596/Heart-in-hunt-for-Dutch-ace-Falkenberg

never heard of the bloke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Falkenburg

given my past concerns / comments about just looking at the CV, i take his CV with a grain of salt but he has played 40 odd games as part of AZ squads (2010-2012) that have finished top 4.  Prior to that Sparta Rotterdam where in the Dutch top flight so he won't be that bad

How would this front four go down?

. Kewell

Merbrahtu - Totti - Dugandzic

More likely than you might think.

ok

Hes some more feasible names:

Luca Antonini 

Fabio Grosso

Fabrizio Miccoli (would be best player in league)

etc

• Like 2

Who knows all the details behind transfer activity in football, but as far as I can see Heart can't complain that there weren't good marquees available this off-season.

Stankovic, the youngest ever captain at Red Star and a long time captain of Serbia, and of course an Inter legend, would be another real good midfield marquee IMO. He's a good all around midfielder, who can play as DM, or he can play in a more advanced position and provide goals and some creativity.

Apparently a Middle Eastern club and an MLS club or two are interested in him. If we're going to sign a marquee we'll have to out-compete a few clubs, and the few clubs that are apparently interested in Stankovic are the kind of clubs we should be able to out-compete IMO.

The reason Stankovic was released is because he is finished. It's Italy, he would have had another 5 seasons in him, but he's body isn't holding up anymore. He will get injured and miss a lot of our season if we signed him. Not a good move.