Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Best case scenario IMO is villa signed as marquee until jan. Get Lampard on 10 game guest stint until jan as well. Then we can sign a new marquee who's not happy sitting on the bench at their club in January transfer window. Defoe signed for his current club in January last season so we could get quality I'm sure.

call me Tesla, coz i'm a fucken prophet

:wormy:

• Like 1

Lol I can't belive people are complaining.

Looks like more people were happy signing Mifsud last year than this announcement.

People are just concerned we will be left short handed come mid season which is perfectly understandable, however I do agree with you people were wrapt last year when we signed mifsud and see how that turned out lol 

There was a time when we were excited about getting two city youth players on loan. Now it could be Villa & Lampard and some of you aren't happy. The 2 biggest players to come to the leage and play with our team at the same time! Wow!

Even if lampard is considered marquee I'm pretty sure the rules allow for him to be replaced and there's a lot of quality playing in Asia etc that comes out of contract at that time.

The people at the club who are behind putting these pieces together know what they're doing.

And if lampard isn't considered marquee and we end up signing another one before season begins well then all the more better for us.

And you couldn't find two better players for the likes of garuccio and muak I learn off, and then give them the chance to step into their shoes.

So exciting!

• Like 2

I'm not sure where the belief has come from that packing the squad with 10-game guests is going to be a regular thing from now on. The only reason it's happening at all is because NYCFC were given a 2015 start date and are incapable of giving their players match practice right now. As soon as they start playing games in 2015 this situation will not happen again. It might be that CFG find ways of giving Melbourne the occasion guest player big name player just for a bit of a boost, but they won't be packing them in and it won't be to act as a feeder for NYCFC because by that point NYCFC will be perfectly capable of giving its own players game time themselves.

Rather than setting the tone for the future, I'm pretty sure that this is all a one-off.

Spot on Falastur. Certainly in terms of players joining NYC we are in a one-off situation. What we're doing is taking advantage of it. In leagues around the world there are plenty of examples of players going on loan from one club to another for quite short periods, so there's really nothing unusual about it.

In the future I can see players transferring from one club to another within the City Group for up to a season, especially players from Development Squads. It's what being part of CFG means - building successful football clubs around the world. I'm elated to be a part of it.

To the people who are concerned on what might happen after Villa's and Lampard's 10 game guest stints are over I say, let's just take this 10 games at a time, aye?

This is a glass half-full kind of situation so let's enjoy having two of the world's biggest names play for our club (at the same time) and see what the following 10 rounds hold for us when that time comes! :up:

• Like 2

CFG aren't run by muppets, they'll know as well as you and me that we'll have gaps to fill after those 10 games stints are finished. 

I for one am rapt that we'll see Villa and (potentially) Lampard turning out for us next season....at the same time.

• Like 5

I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm ok with one guest player but two in a season? who will both leave at the same time and then there are two gaping holes in the team for almost two thirds of the season? Plus they won't be playing in the FFA cup

Really? You really hope this doesn't happen? :droy: That's what I said is it not?

How about you read what I said and then say how I am wrong?

Agree with you Dylan. This from a marketing sense would be unparalleled and would put us on the global stage. BUT it's a loan deal and once that is done will leave a gaping hole. What are the rules on loan players? I was under the impression you were limited to 1.

I understand and agree with you both on leaving a hole in the side when both leave, however we are yet to understand fully how many games Villa will play meaning he could only appear for a small handful, you have to also keep in mind we need to get our crowed figures up and while I agree results are the main driving force behind this, you can't be blind to the fact that big marquee names draw in the crowds and again if both play 10 games I see us winning 8 of the 10 meaning we will be 80% on the way to making finals.

Agree on the crowds but they bring the fans that will more likely drop off if we drop in form and once those big names are gone.

Theatre goers: yes.

But if there's one thing Melbourne sporting fans love, it's a winner. That's generally why our home crowds have been pretty pathetic thus far, while Victory was strong early and have maintained that momentum (granted, getting in first helped them, but winning trophies and consistently finishing higher than us has helped at least as much in keeping their fans and avoiding crossovers - until now). A big if, but if we remain the strongest team (or close to it) in the competition after Villa and Lampard leave, I'd suggest that our home crowds (and away crowds, for that matter) will still be massive compared to last year. We've got an Irish legend in the squad for the entire season, to appeal to another pretty big cross-section of the community. Regardless of those last spots on the roster that need to be filled (and, let's be honest, they're pretty huge: another visa, the AM and IM), if the club continues to drip feed the public with these exciting announcements and 'more to come' down the track (exhibition games in Melbourne against Manchester City an New York City, for a start), the people here aren't stupid. They'll realise that Lampard and Villa may be gone pretty soon, but we'll probably see another 1-2 absolute superstars come along for a visit at the start of next season. And the season after that. It's not exactly dragging Romario down for a kick in a few games.

As for leaving a gap in the squad when they leave, my question would be: if we disregard the 10-game rule, how long would we estimate Villa and Lampard could stay, before it would be time for them to get back and start training with New York? With the gap for the Asian Cup, it seems likely that they'd leave after the January 4 game against Central Coast (Round 15). That gives them about two months until the season kicks off (assuming it's a similar start date to 2014). So, if Round 15 was the plan for them to leave anyway and a priority was put on not decimating the squad once they've left, wouldn't five Lampard-only games, five Villa-only games and five with both (or something along those lines) be the way to go (and very doable)?

Just to clarify my comments on the prospect of Lampard playing for our club.

I think its fantastic that these high quality players are playing for our club, and I hope we smash all the other teams and win the league. I am also happy that our new owner are making a huge announcement to the world about Melbourne City and with these huge announcements we are now the new glamour club of the A-league. Fantastic, love it.

My only concern is when Lampard and David Villa leave our club it might appear like a B side team once we lose these quality players. crowed number might drop if the team cant continue the level of play. I think its important to remember that our club identity is more important then any international marquee and I hope that once these 2 stars leave that our playing style and squad isn't compromised. How do we replace Villa and Lampard for t he remaining 17 games plus potential finals.

Hope that clarifies my comments, I love this club and I want it treated in the right way...

Well if you don't know the gospel that is #SST, then I don't think you're a true Australian football fan.

Soccer stoppage time, they're a radio show on Monday nights, had Vince Grella on who said that Troisi would be based in Europe next year most likely, possibly Asia, not Australia.

But if there's one thing Melbourne sporting fans love, it's a winner. ..

I think most cities like a winner, but Melbourne fans in general are more loyal to their clubs than most. Certainly unlike Sydney where the whiff of a bad performance will have 'fans' jumping off the wagon in no time.

yeah never did i think id hear the day when people complain about signing david villa AND Lampard. you people sound rightly ungrateful.

who cares if its only for 10 games, i pay to see people play football. and these are two of the greatest footballers of our time, at our club!

Same - Anyone else here have any memories of supporting Melbourne Heart and the players it signed? :droy:

Prediction - The same people complaining will rush at Lampard to have photos with him for their Facebook photos.

Mate I know what we had at Heart and it's nothing like what we're talking about now and yeah I would of never expected to have a chance to see these blokes play football for a team I support let alone get a chance to meet them, but at the same time my MAIN focus is on winning the league.

I think that if we get Lampard and Villa on a loan/guest stint and also fit in an international marquee then yeah id be rapt with that (and the more I think about it, the more this is looking likely) but I don't want to waste a marquee signing on a bone who will only play a handful games.

yeah never did i think id hear the day when people complain about signing david villa AND Lampard. you people sound rightly ungrateful.

who cares if its only for 10 games, i pay to see people play football. and these are two of the greatest footballers of our time, at our club!

Same - Anyone else here have any memories of supporting Melbourne Heart and the players it signed? :droy:

Prediction - The same people complaining will rush at Lampard to have photos with him for their Facebook photos.

Mate I know what we had at Heart and it's nothing like what we're talking about now and yeah I would of never expected to have a chance to see these blokes play football for a team I support let alone get a chance to meet them, but at the same time my MAIN focus is on winning the league.

I think that if we get Lampard and Villa on a loan/guest stint and also fit in an international marquee then yeah id be rapt with that (and the more I think about it, the more this is looking likely) but I don't want to waste a marquee signing on a bone who will only play a handful games.

I might be wrong but I find it highly unlikely they a Marquee Spot will be wasted on either of these guys...

And look at this way we already have Duff, Mooy and prob Kennedy as permanent players - And all A League sides would be happy with these three being their side's best three attackers. 

• Like 1

Prediction - The same people complaining will rush at Lampard to have photos with him for their Facebook photos. Mate I know what we had at Heart and it's nothing like what we're talking about now and yeah I would of never expected to have a chance to see these blokes play football for a team I support let alone get a chance to meet them, but at the same time my MAIN focus is on winning the league.

I might be wrong but I find it highly unlikely they a Marquee Spot will be wasted on either of these guys...

And look at this way we already have Duff, Mooy and prob Kennedy as permanent players - And all A League sides would be happy with these three being their side's best three attackers.

Very true.

I have a feeling they might try and Kennedy under the salary cap and try and sign another aussie marquee. Still think bresc is a small chance

Even if we do end up with a b grade team after villa and Lampard leave it shouldn't matter if we win our first ten games then we would only need 15-20 points from the last 17 matches to win the title which is only one point per game.

That mentality will not get you far in the finals.
  • Like 3

With the current squad taking shape as we type... the level of expectation will be high this coming season which brings into question JVS as the person who will shoulder the responsibility of getting the team to play well and with Villa and Lampard seemingly only playing 10 games, we have to hit the ground running. No point coming good in Rd 5 or 6.

• Like 1

But if there's one thing Melbourne sporting fans love, it's a winner. ..

I think most cities like a winner, but Melbourne fans in general are more loyal to their clubs than most. Certainly unlike Sydney where the whiff of a bad performance will have 'fans' jumping off the wagon in no time.

No doubt the sporting culture here is one where we get along to the games and AFL clubs like Richmond are renowned for having loyal supporters, despite having about two decent seasons in the past 30. In simple terms, our 'low-water' mark for sporting clubs would generally be better than clubs in other cities around Australia. But I think the numbers show that even with a club like Richmond (and definitely with any Victorian club that wins the AFL premiership) and even the Victory...the numbers go through the roof after they have some success (or relative success, in Richmond's case).

We're less fair-weather than other cities, but by the same token and as Victory have shown, we have the potential to get the biggest crowds in the league, if we become the strongest club. Guys like Lampard and Villa might get people here, but just winning games and silverware is what will keep them here.

Even if we do end up with a b grade team after villa and Lampard leave it shouldn't matter if we win our first ten games then we would only need 15-20 points from the last 17 matches to win the title which is only one point per game.

That mentality will not get you far in the finals. True but at least we would win one trphy
  • Like 1

We still need an international marquee of similar calibre for 2 years.

Villa and Lampard are icing on the cake as 10 game players to signal the new era, like an opening ceremony.

Then we still need to sort out our DM and full backs.  But knowing JVS it may not happen.

Not sure JVS in a position to do too much given that CFG want their "assets" playing, and in some way it may well limit the options available to him to sign a visa player for the whole season to fit into his plans.

Overall, the squad is looking stronger, even before Lampard. The mix of exciting youth prospects and experience is something that will hopefully come together well in the bend, but there are definitely some risks in having 2 players come and go mid season.

Edited by Heart_fan

Villa and Lampard are icing on the cake as 10 game players to signal the new era, like an opening ceremony.

Then we still need to sort out our DM and full backs.  But knowing JVS it may not happen.

i know he is only guest but im pretty sure lampard has been playing as a DM. not to mention mooy was tried there against ballarat

• Like 1

Then we still need to sort out our DM and full backs. But knowing JVS it may not happen.

i know he is only guest but im pretty sure lampard has been playing as a DM. not to mention mooy was tried there against ballarat

Lamps has only been playing as a holding midfielder to fit others in the side. His preferred (and best) position is the one he has been playing the majority of his career and the position that he is more than capable of playing in the A-League.... Attacking mid.

It would be a huge waste if we were to play Lamps there.

interesting point about Kennedy fitting under the salary cap. Sure his skill level is high in comparison to the rest of the league. but is he really on that much in Japan? Whilst he is a good age he is still over 30, which you would think would lower his price. I'm not saying i wouldn't want him as marquee, but surely he is a chance to fit under the cap?