Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Okay cool, so his comment on the marquee may not come from premier league does that suggest they are undecided?

Doubt it. Suggests to me that the marquee will be a "big player" as described by Begiristain rather than a "big name." My guess is that they have at the very least a short list of same. I'm expecting an announcement to coincide with the team's stay in Manchester in July. Just guessing though!

• Like 1

Okay cool, so his comment on the marquee may not come from premier league does that suggest they are undecided?

Doubt it. Suggests to me that the marquee will be a "big player" as described by Begiristain rather than a "big name." My guess is that they have at the very least a short list of same. I'm expecting an announcement to coincide with the team's stay in Manchester in July. Just guessing though! I would think a big player would be a big name?

However I think you mean marquee would be a decent player just not a household name

Edited by drewmelbcity

Doubt it. Suggests to me that the marquee will be a "big player" as described by Begiristain rather than a "big name." My guess is that they have at the very least a short list of same. I'm expecting an announcement to coincide with the team's stay in Manchester in July. Just guessing though! I would think a big player would be a big name?

However I think you mean marquee would be a decent player just not a household name

Not quite. To quote Begiristain as reported on 23rd January: "It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name....He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."

Do you guys think we could get Bresciano or Kennedy under the salary cap?

If so, we could possibly sign both of them.

No chance, unless Bresc is willing to take a massive paycut but why would he when he can rake in the $$$ in Qatar?

No.

I'm interested now though, after last night's match, how people are thinking Bresciano vs. Kennedy as their preference for Australian marquee. From what I watched last night, Bresciano looked pretty good. What do others think?

No.

I'm interested now though, after last night's match, how people are thinking Bresciano vs. Kennedy as their preference for Australian marquee. From what I watched last night, Bresciano looked pretty good. What do others think?

I prefer bresciano however if he is only lasting 60 minutes it makes me a little hesitant about that decision

Edited by drewmelbcity

Doubt it. Suggests to me that the marquee will be a "big player" as described by Begiristain rather than a "big name." My guess is that they have at the very least a short list of same. I'm expecting an announcement to coincide with the team's stay in Manchester in July. Just guessing though!I would think a big player would be a big name?

Not quite. To quote Begiristain as reported on 23rd January: "It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name....He has to add something more than a name. Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."

So perhaps a broich type gem....Cause as we know they are floating around everywhere

JVS on SEN, talking about the international marquee:

Question: is it true that you're looking at an English Premier League player to bring to the club?

JVS: Not specifically. We're looking at a player that we think has the quality, the hunger, the age, you know the ingredients to help our team go to the next level, and still is a player also with a good name, but it doesn't have to be necessarily a player with a very big name, it has to be a player that is still good enough, and has the quality to really give our team and the A-League something special, and that's something that doesn't have to be specifically an English player, so we are keeping all options open.

I gotta say, I've been starting to doubt whether Bresciano can still perform, but he's shown at the World Cup that he's still got a lot of magic left in the boots. And if you remember that prior to the Chile game, Bresciano hasn't started a match since about November (effectively due to him being suspended because of his transfer to his Qatar club). So at the World Cup, against world class opposition, Bresciano has shown impressive quality in midfield.

It should also be remembered that Bresciano trained with Heart over pretty much the exact period when the team went on our amazing run last season, when Heart won 6 out of 7 games (and drew the other game). And Ramsay said Bresc had a real positive influence on the team at training.

The question with Bresc is whether he could showcase his quality over a full A-League season or two. And I'm not too sure about that (but at the same time, the A-League season isn't too demanding, and if Bresc passed Man City's fitness tests and due diligence, then I'd probably be happy if he joined us).

I know he has another year left in Turkey. But has JVS ever worked with Dirk Kuyt?

I love that guy! versatile, consistent and a bloody good player.

Would not want anyone that has played for Fenerbahçe...How do you feel about Aziz and Mate?Well, Victory, unlike Fener, aren't a club that fixed and manipulate matches to win the league title (and go unpunished by the Turkish Football Federation despite being found guilty by UEFA and CAS). Not to mention that although Kuyt isn't, some of their players are just so classless... Especially their captain.

I know he has another year left in Turkey. But has JVS ever worked with Dirk Kuyt?

I love that guy! versatile, consistent and a bloody good player.

Would not want anyone that has played for Fenerbahçe...How do you feel about Aziz and Mate?Well, Victory, unlike Fener, aren't a club that fixed and manipulate matches to win the league title (and go unpunished by the Turkish Football Federation despite being found guilty by UEFA and CAS). Not to mention that although Kuyt isn't, some of their players are just so classless... Especially their captain.

Perhaps following a different league may be a solution.

The Dutch will likely suffer from a lack of depth overall in this WC. Its defence is very suspect, and with some more clinical and compised finishing, Australia may have won that game by 3 or 4 goals.

As for our marquee, we do need to find a player that is younger than 30, without injury issues and is hungry to re-establish himself in the game, just as Broich did. Sometimes the drive to rebuild that hunger can be a very big factor in getting the most from a player.

Just looking at a sudden PR boost from a bigname may well just backfire anyway. We already have Villa here for some time for that role, and getting someone that can be here for a couple of years, really building a legacy will hopefully bring more benefits.

• Like 1

One man. 3 words. Hatem Ben Arfa.

Fuck yes

One man. 3 words. Hatem Ben Arfa.

Yep. Would tear apart this league.

Looking to get out because of a fallout with the idiot Pardew and has an offer from the middle east.

He wont take the offer from the middle east. Apparently Inter Milan are interested. He's an absolute genius but him and Pardew dont get along. I think he'll think the a-league is beneath him but if we offer him enough money you never know. He is coming to New Zealand in late July to play Sydney and Wellington.

"Jimmy: There's zero chance we'd get Leckie."

My reply: If the money he's offered is big enough compared to what overseas clubs are prepared to pay then we can get him.

Let's be honest about this and not gild the lily. It's nearly all about money.

Who honestly thinks we'd have so many players eager to head overseas and play their careers overseas, leaving behind family and friends,

if they could make just as much money or even more money by staying in Australia. The answer is pretty obvious to me.

My reply: If the money he's offered is big enough compared to what overseas clubs are prepared to pay then we can get him.

Who honestly thinks we'd have so many players eager to head overseas and play their careers overseas, leaving behind family and friends,

if they could make just as much money or even more money by staying in Australia. The answer is pretty obvious to me.

No there's 0 chance of us getting Leckie

• Like 3

Who honestly thinks we'd have so many players eager to head overseas and play their careers overseas, leaving behind family and friends,

if they could make just as much money or even more money by staying in Australia. The answer is pretty obvious to me.

Not sure if the answer is this simple.

Going to Europe allows you play vs best teams and we know you improve when you go against better opposition.

Not even going to mention lifestyle and growing as an individual.

Eg; you are based in London.

Next week you could be playing in Paris, Berlin, Milan or Madrid

Vs

Based in Perth then traveling to gosford, Wellington, Adelaide or some other shit hole with 42 degree temperature

Please hold me back!!!!

• Like 2