Melbourne Football

JA's system of play

Torn Asunder

The midfielders either need to take the ball forward into a scoring position themselves in which case they can go quickly or else they need to hold the ball until the forwards are positioned to make a forward run. This may only be a second or two, but they need to deliver accurate diagonal balls. Fred and Thommo can do this sometimes but not regularly. Fred can't shoot accurately much of the time.

I agree about the rigidness and off the ball movement.

I have been saying this all year, the most versatility we have is overlapping fb, which gets a bit predictable.

Look at Bayern, (I know, a team you would like to vomit on) players swap and change, take up slack, attack not due to their positions, becuase thay play as a team, fluid and creative.

That Bella you probly saw in italy, even though a 352. One of the best games I saw was inter against madrid last year, inter played to perfection with fluidity and courage. I enjoyed this game imensly.

The more i see this game progress, the more I see it as a footsal team playing in 5 fiths of the pitch. Control each one, blast through them, whatever, win your sections, you will be a force to be reckoned with

• Like 1

Bar some sort of earthquake within MHFC it looks as though JA will continue on as senior coach for next season, and therefore that we'll be trying to play the same way again.

IMO despite what our squad looks like on paper we've shown this season that we're not able to deliver what is required. So simply retaining and re-signing the same players, particularly midfielders, is unlikely to see us improve next season. So, seems to me much will depend on recruitment - can JA and JD find the players who are going to have the skills and fitness to play to the coach's system? Quite frankly I think that's going to be a tough ask.

With the Sydney game, although Vrankovic got caught out dwelling on the ball a few times (needed more talk around him), a CB who can play out from the back makes a HUGE difference to JA's system of play being effective.

Walker and Garcia again linked up well, with their triangles / overlapping runs. Coyne and Williams are starting to develop an understanding that fits the system of play.

And of course, Kalmar, being able to hold the ball and dictate / influence the play from the centre of the park is essential to meaningful possession. I think Fred may have actually learnt a bit watching Kalmar, as when he came on he was more measured in his play.

Really important to be able to have game changers off the bench, so hopefully this remains the case as the season closes out.

Sydney only kept two in the midfield so we outnumbered them, which certainly helped the cause on the weekend. Hope we can play as well when the midfield numbers are even. In this case a CB who can play out becomes crucial.

• Like 2