Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

End result?

4-3 to south. Good football and atmosphere on display too as a neutral.

I know I'm butchering the spelling but that alinijad guy for melbourne knights was great to watch. Speedy and skillful down the right wing, completly destroyed souths lb.

End result?

4-3 to south. Good football and atmosphere on display too as a neutral.

I know I'm butchering the spelling but that alinijad guy for melbourne knights was great to watch. Speedy and skillful down the right wing, completly destroyed souths lb. Yep. He is a gun. Absolutely destroys us each time we play them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

pissed i can't make the game this weekend, I'm really looking forward to going to the npl finals south host though.

The way the competition is structured, I think that's only a possibility if South make the final. If we beat South Hobart, pretty sure we'd have to travel to the winner of the Queensland/Northern NSW game the week after.

pissed i can't make the game this weekend, I'm really looking forward to going to the npl finals south host though.

The way the competition is structured, I think that's only a possibility if South make the final. If we beat South Hobart, pretty sure we'd have to travel to the winner of the Queensland/Northern NSW game the week after.

My mistake, there's a points system used to decide who gets to host.

Keilor Wolves are highly likely to win the State League 5 - West, this Saturday  :droy:

Apparently they payed Balmoral to throw the game away a couple weeks ago, what a joke lmao

Where did you hear that? Still, should be an interesting last week in that league, 3 teams can still win the title and iirc Keilor Wolves (top) are playing 3rd, who are 3 points behind.

Enjoyed playing against Keilor Wolves a few years back. $2 Chevapi after the game (Y)

Will be interesting to see how they stack up against Greenvale the week after too, but I don't think any of the State 5 teams will have a chance against Eltham.

Keilor Wolves are highly likely to win the State League 5 - West, this Saturday  :droy:

Apparently they payed Balmoral to throw the game away a couple weeks ago, what a joke lmao

Where did you hear that? Still, should be an interesting last week in that league, 3 teams can still win the title and iirc Keilor Wolves (top) are playing 3rd, who are 3 points behind.

Enjoyed playing against Keilor Wolves a few years back. $2 Chevapi after the game (Y)

Will be interesting to see how they stack up against Greenvale the week after too, but I don't think any of the State 5 teams will have a chance against Eltham.

I remember beating Keilor Wolves like 7 or 8-0 a few seasons back. Apparently the blokes we played against got paid $50 a game lol. Might have to suss them out if my club folds.

• Like 1

Still, should be an interesting last week in that league, 3 teams can still win the title and iirc Keilor Wolves (top) are playing 3rd, who are 3 points behind.

Hope you're right!

We play Lilydale this weekend at home.  If we win we'll be the first team to go through a State League season undefeated for about 50 years.  

I remember beating Keilor Wolves like 7 or 8-0 a few seasons back. Apparently the blokes we played against got paid $50 a game lol. Might have to suss them out if my club folds.

Too much backing from the Macedonian small and medium business CEOs living in Keilor and Taylors Lakes.

• Like 1

South Melbourne are far too strong. Bicycle kick for the first goal

That first sentence will be frowned upon round these parts

From the small amount I watched, I didn't really think that South were "far too strong". More just their defence. 

It was the 7th minute when i said that and south hit the crossbar and had 2 or 3 shots on target as well as a goal. SM had all the attack, maybe SH showed them too much respect cause its a much more even game now. 

Edited by Tbitm

Pretty shattered about Preston not being promoted but such is life. There are games we can look back and say how did we stuff that up, Fawkner 1-1 we killed them in the second half that game, a draw with Altona Magic who were sitting second last and that was at home, the Carnlea game where there was a 99% opportunity in the last second that we stuffed up.

I have no doubt Moreland were the best side this year, everytime I saw them play they looked a class above everybody really and are worthy champions.

Still, should be an interesting last week in that league, 3 teams can still win the title and iirc Keilor Wolves (top) are playing 3rd, who are 3 points behind.

Hope you're right!

We play Lilydale this weekend at home.  If we win we'll be the first team to go through a State League season undefeated for about 50 years.  

Must have been a nervous win over Lilydale? Only managed to get 12 past them. :lol:

And you're doing your team a disservice, you're actually the first team to go through a season winning every game, not just undefeated. 

I heard you got a lot of juniors back who went on to play at higher divs? Is that all it was or is there more to how you guys did it so easily?

How do you reckon you'll go next year in state 4?

• Like 1

Hope you're right!

Must have been a nervous win over Lilydale? Only managed to get 12 past them. :lol:

And you're doing your team a disservice, you're actually the first team to go through a season winning every game, not just undefeated. 

I heard you got a lot of juniors back who went on to play at higher divs? Is that all it was or is there more to how you guys did it so easily?

How do you reckon you'll go next year in state 4?

Yes you are quite right, I did the boys a disservice.  P20 W20 F126 A 12 .  An incredible season.  The champagne was flowing at the ground Saturday!

TBH I don't think Lilydale's collective heart was really in the match.  The stage was set in the reserves, where their side looked beatable by my over 45s team (and plenty of the Lilydale players looked like they'd seen 50) and the goalkeeper was refusing to use his hands.  I had trouble following the score. 

In the firsts we started slow actually and it took a while to get on the board.  Lilydale's cause wasn't helped by the ref playing about 15 minutes of "injury" (there were no injuries to speak of that i saw, not sure where the 15 min came from) time in both halves.  We were 3-0 up at half time and i think, with nothing to play for, Lilydale dropped their heads at that point.

In regards to the squad we have picked up a few players who, as you say, are older players "coming home". In addition we tried to merge with Diamond Valley in the pre-season.  It fell over because of their juniors not wanting it, but i think a few of their disgruntled seniors (SL2 going to SL1) came over anyway.  Add to that our last year's U18s being pretty handy, plus a wealth of talent coming up through the younger ranks and we have some decent footballers to choose from.  We got in a new coach too, with the old one focussing on junior development instead.  The new one seems a gun, which helps.  Ultimately we destroyed the league because we have a very classy side, with solid defenders and pace in the forwards.  I saw them training pre-season and couldn't believe how good they looked.

In regards to how we'll go next year, in the Dockerty cup we had 2 strong wins over SL4 sides before getting knocked out by a SL1 side in a game we apparently had our chances in.  We also just beat Eastern Lions in a friendly.  i therefore think the current side looks likely to cut a swathe through SL4 next year.   Here's hoping anyway.

We are now (i think) the 3rd biggest junior club in Victoria and have been working very hard to raise the football standards.  This should bring a pipeline of quality players to the firsts in a few years.  

• Like 1