Melbourne Football

Future of City post A-league

TheStig

CCM, Wanderers, Sydney, Newcastle and I'm pretty sure Wellington are all based in NSW at the moment. Sydney is also a central point between Melbourne and Brisbane. For Perth and Adelaide it's pretty much the similar travel time. 

Makes perfect sense to hold it in NSW to me.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

CCM, Wanderers, Sydney, Newcastle and I'm pretty sure Wellington are all based in NSW at the moment. Sydney is also a central point between Melbourne and Brisbane. For Perth and Adelaide it's pretty much the similar travel time. 

Makes perfect sense to hold it in NSW to me.

But they're only travelling once? Should be in SA. (Not WA due to time differences)

11 hours ago, haz said:

But they're only travelling once? Should be in SA. (Not WA due to time differences)

That's my understanding - that everyone will congregate and stay at the "hub" while they play out the remaining fixtures there without any spectators. If that's not the case then there's no meaning to the words "the hub."

The league was suspended because of COV-19. The restart of the league should be about minimising the risk posed by COV-19 and nothing to do with travelling time.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's my understanding - that everyone will congregate and stay at the "hub" while they play out the remaining fixtures there without any spectators. If that's not the case then there's no meaning to the words "the hub."

The league was suspended because of COV-19. The restart of the league should be about minimising the risk posed by COV-19 and nothing to do with travelling time.

I think it's more that Sydney and Queensland have the most lax rules concerned with this covid thing, Victoria has the strictest.

11 minutes ago, moops said:

I think it's more that Sydney and Queensland have the most lax rules concerned with this covid thing, Victoria has the strictest.

We're not looking so good now, with the meatworks cluster and now an aged care home.

I think that as more and more people are tested we'll find that the virus is not yet under control. We might well be in a better position than a number of other countries but I maintain the view that it's much too early to relax regulations.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We're not looking so good now, with the meatworks cluster and now an aged care home.

I think that as more and more people are tested we'll find that the virus is not yet under control. We might well be in a better position than a number of other countries but I maintain the view that it's much too early to relax regulations.

I never understood our numbers, we barely tested anyone and as soon as there is talk of relaxing the restrictions suddenly the government wants to test everyone?

but anyway in NSW they are allowing team sports to be played.

10 hours ago, moops said:

I never understood our numbers, we barely tested anyone and as soon as there is talk of relaxing the restrictions suddenly the government wants to test everyone?

but anyway in NSW they are allowing team sports to be played.

Morrison is now trying to score political points over New Zealand on statistical aspects of the results of the two countries.

FMD, this is a serious health and economic issue, not a political issue. Control the virus, not worry about scoring points over Ardern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Morrison is now trying to score political points over New Zealand on statistical aspects of the results of the two countries.

FMD, this is a serious health and economic issue, not a political issue. Control the virus, not worry about scoring points over Ardern.

Whilst I agree the focus shouldn't be on the political side of things I see it as more defensive as opposed to trying to get one up on Adern. There are people are ripping on Scomo largely because of their personal dislike for him and/or their political affiliations/bias.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Some are now looking at Covid being the catalyst for a rethink on the summer versus winter fixture. There is probably a lot of merit in this (despite Archie being used as the prime advocate in this article)

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/ultimate-guide-to-a-winter-a-league-and-why-itd-work-in-2021-547948

I think ultimately the problem is winter and the clash with the other codes. A huge proportion of football fans also support the other codes and tbh im not sure football will win if it goes head to head with footy or rugby and fans have to choose.

The other thing i think football has working for it actually is summer; there's nothing better than heading down to Melb on a sunny day/warm evening and having a few beers while watching the aggot being kicked around.

The points in favour are all very, very valid, but i don't know that they outweigh the other two at the end of the day.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

I think ultimately the problem is winter and the clash with the other codes. A huge proportion of football fans also support the other codes and tbh im not sure football will win if it goes head to head with footy or rugby and fans have to choose.

The other thing i think football has working for it actually is summer; there's nothing better than heading down to Melb on a sunny day/warm evening and having a few beers while watching the aggot being kicked around.

The points in favour are all very, very valid, but i don't know that they outweigh the other two at the end of the day.

Not too sure about that.

I think the vast majority of our rusted on (the 6k) would rock up in July.

The standard of the game would improve without a doubt. 

And a scotch is as good as a beer.

Don't get me wrong summer soccer is unique and I remember when it transitioned but we have given it a good crack and in my opinion those people across the League that go would anytime especially if the standard and more importantly the intensity improved. 

All decisions going forward have to be firstly about the actual game first and everything else second.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jovan said:

Not too sure about that.

I think the vast majority of our rusted on (the 6k) would rock up in July.

The standard of the game would improve without a doubt. 

And a scotch is as good as a beer.

Don't get me wrong summer soccer is unique and I remember when it transitioned but we have given it a good crack and in my opinion those people across the League that go would anytime especially if the standard and more importantly the intensity improved. 

All decisions going forward have to be firstly about the actual game first and everything else second.

If I continue my interest in City I think that I would prefer winter. 

• 3 months later...

Now it’s going to get interesting. The league is at the cross roads.

Seems for the youth and journeymen there might not be much money in football now. I reckon a few “older” (maybe not that old!) players may retire as a consequence. End result, standard must surely drop.

We’ll still put a decent side out I think, if we can keep Erick.

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Now it’s going to get interesting. The league is at the cross roads.

Seems for the youth and journeymen there might not be much money in football now. I reckon a few “older” (maybe not that old!) players may retire as a consequence. End result, standard must surely drop.

We’ll still put a decent side out I think, if we can keep Erick.

The new A-League overlords have not said much. Not sure what will happen. Also, the older fringe players will retire as they always do, some of the youth players will realise that they are not up to and move on as well. And there will always be some clubs that will sign journeyman as a back up policy.

For city, it will all be about Erick.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

The new A-League overlords have not said much. Not sure what will happen. Also, the older fringe players will retire as they always do, some of the youth players will realise that they are not up to and move on as well. And there will always be some clubs that will sign journeyman as a back up policy.

For city, it will all be about Erick.

If we're going to have a 2020-21 season running from December 2020 to July 2021 we're going to have to have something from the A-League administrators pretty soon. Otherwise departures for places such as India are inevitable.

• Like 1

Reading rumours that Victory is moving away from Adidas and so is WSW from Nike both linked to smaller clothing brands. It looks like money is leaving the A-League, I don’t think there’s any club left now sponsored by the big 3 except for us.

Edited by Mr MO

22 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Reading rumours that Victory is moving away from Adidas and so is WSW from Nike both linked to smaller clothing brands. It looks like money is leaving the A-League, I don’t think there’s any club left now sponsored by the big 3 except for us.

Victory certainly look like they have shallower pockets given the squad they put together this past season and the coach they have just announced... 

Looks like the league will take a step back in many aspects this coming season. Interesting times ahead. 

11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Victory certainly look like they have shallower pockets given the squad they put together this past season and the coach they have just announced... 

Looks like the league will take a step back in many aspects this coming season. Interesting times ahead. 

The words I am hearing is that the board members know more about football than either the players or their coaching staff. However, all clubs will be spending less because of COVID-19 uncertainty.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The words I am hearing is that the board members know more about football than either the players or their coaching staff. However, all clubs will be spending less because of COVID-19 uncertainty.

Yes that’s what I’m getting less money from all angles, it seems that Adidas and Nike are now taking their hands of the A-League in general. As much as I like to see sponsors walking away from the Victory, it’s pretty bad that the big clothing brands aren’t interested anymore as Adidas and Nike are completely gone now.

Now of course I don’t know how much the smaller brands like Kappa, Macron, Viva and Umbro bring to the table.

We only carry Puma due to our Global Puma CFG.

Just in terms of kits, the smaller firms might even be more flexible or creative. My home town League 2 club in the UK (whom you were all watching on Kayo last night, natch) has used smaller suppliers for years, as most do at that level, and the desirability of the kits is just as good or bad as with big brands. But yes, it's a sign that big money is running away from the A League, at least for now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't have a problem if clubs are looking elsewhere. I can't see that these big kit manufacturers bring anything special to the table.

Perhaps they aren’t looking elsewhere, its the brands turning their backs - the fact that these brand aren’t interested anymore says something about the state of the league, which is not good for the overal exposure. 

And it’s even given that going with a smaller brand hurts in revenue of merchandise and brand exposure - no more merch in the global online stores  of Adidas or Nike stores, or the Bourke Street Flagship store. etc....

As a football lover I can’t see anything positive in this besides perhaps more customised kits....sorry.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Perhaps they aren’t looking elsewhere, its the brands turning their backs - the fact that these brand aren’t interested anymore says something about the state of the league, which is not good for the overal exposure. 

And it’s even given that going with a smaller brand hurts in revenue of merchandise and brand exposure - no more merch in the global online stores  of Adidas or Nike stores, or the Bourke Street Flagship store. etc....

As a football lover I can’t see anything positive in this besides perhaps more customised kits....sorry.

IMO you're over-rating the appeal of the A-League. When was the last time you saw anyone in the street wearing a Melbourne City jersey? IMO it doesn't matter who manufactures the kit - the A-League has very limited sales, and as sales move more and more on-line it really doesn't matter who the vendor is.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're over-rating the appeal of the A-League. When was the last time you saw anyone in the street wearing a Melbourne City jersey? IMO it doesn't matter who manufactures the kit - the A-League has very limited sales, and as sales move more and more on-line it really doesn't matter who the vendor is.

It’s also about ambition, if we don’t care about keeping the big money sponsors onboard that shows what’s wrong this league. The brands walk away as they aren’t getting enough exposure on TV as well.

I hope do you realise that Nike and Adidas also bring money to the clubs, it’s not all about who makes the kits - it’s also about events, free shoes and clothing for the players and staff the list goes on.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s also about ambition, if we don’t care about keeping the big money sponsors onboard that shows what’s wrong this league. The brands walk away as they aren’t getting enough exposure on TV as well.

I hope do you realise that Nike and Adidas also bring money to the clubs, it’s not all about who makes the kits - it’s also about events, free shoes and clothing for the players and staff the list goes on.

Our club, along with the rest in the CFG stable, doesn't need money; it just needs a decent kit to play in. And merchandise its fans would be proud to wear and not looking like a clone of another Melbourne club.

Edited by jw1739

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Not choosing a side here but just sneaky reminder that our overlords two weeks ago we were willing to fork out $1.1B for Lionel Messi in wages over a 5 year period.

A fortnight of Messi wages would guarantee us silverware with the help of marquee and guest players.

Edited by Mr MO

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Simon Hill in the Guardian this morning suggested we, along with Sydney and Victory, were continuing to honour existing contracts, rather than paying only a portion. 

We seem to be one of the bad boys really, not paying our players - embarrassing.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/australian-a-league/story/4182995/a-league-clubs-and-players-deadlocked-plus-foundations-for-the-championshipw-league-and-the-nix?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Who knows what's actually true.

As usual, FFA, the League, and football in general can't go more than one season without threatening to self-destruct.

If City and or the League folds, how ironic it would be that we played in red-and-white in our first match, and in our last.

I'm a lifelong fan of the game, attending my first match when I was 5,  but to be brutally honest at the moment I'm not sure that I care too much what happens.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Who knows what's actually true.

As usual, FFA, the League, and football in general can't go more than one season without threatening to self-destruct.

If City and or the League folds, how ironic it would be that we played in red-and-white in our first match, and in our last.

I'm a lifelong fan of the game, attending my first match when I was 5,  but to be brutally honest at the moment I'm not sure that I care too much what happens.

Well regardless it’s very bad press the Sydney CEO was all over social media this morning pushing this negative publicity its head in. We remain silent as always I get feeling there is some truth in it. 

• Like 1

I think its going to lead to a mass walkout of players. Including, I think, 95% of VISA players. So it looks like its going to be a very hard reset for the leauge.

I think one issue we have in particular is the money we probably pay to AAMI to play there. I am not sure there is any alternative but if I were the club id be looking around

50 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well regardless it’s very bad press the Sydney CEO was all over social media this morning pushing this negative publicity its head in. We remain silent as always I get feeling there is some truth in it. 

Mate it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't paid. The club is pretty tight-arsed sometimes. E.g. the shipping costs for merchandise - especially when you've been a member for 10 seasons. Many on-line sellers these days offer free shipping and competitive prices for the actual items, and some will take an offer on the actual item price.

How childish this all seems. Don't the participants realise that this sort of thing puts fans, players, coaches, backroom staff, potential investors and sponsors - indeed everyone - off the game? A demonstration of "how to shoot yourself in the foot."

Edited by jw1739