Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: v CCM - Friday 20th March 5.30pm at Central Coast Stadium

Harrison

Thought I'd put this thread up given it's only two days away, on paper. At the moment this match is going ahead behind-closed-doors. Strange and unique situation to be in but here we are and it's still worth three points so we treat it like any other match.

Now that we have Newcastle on the Monday following who knows how we line up for this one. There will have to be rotations and our squad depth will be tested. Newcastle will be fresh for it. 

Edited by Harrison

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Can't see it  being played.

At this stage FFA seems determined to finish the season behind closed doors. I see it sticking doggedly to this position unless ordered to stop or someone associated with the League - player, staff, official, volunteer etc. -  is diagnosed with the virus.

52 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It'll be interesting to see how they manage "behind closed doors" at CCM as one end is open to a main road... 

The term "behind closed doors" gives me the shits anyway. The doors are't closed, because there are the TV people and other hangers on in the stadium. Just say that there will be no members of the public allowed in.

26 minutes ago, neio said:

Game is now at 5.30, and we also play Newcastle away on Monday night 

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-hyundai-a-league-201920-season-draw-fixture-

updatehttps://www.a-league.com.au/news/hyundai-a-league-201920-season-draw-fixture-updates-1

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

2 day turn around, we couldn’t even handle 6 days. 

But essentially no travel between matches.

I think we've got a good chance of picking up at least 4 points. Griffiths and Luna to come back in, and with guys like Delbridge, Genreau and Metcalfe on the bench we're looking pretty solid for this time of a season.

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we've got a good chance of picking up at least 4 points. Griffiths and Luna to come back in, and with guys like Delbridge, Genreau and Metcalfe on the bench we're looking pretty solid for this time of a season.

And Newcastle have to travel from Brisbane while we stay in Newcastle virtually 

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO 6 points from these two and we'll finish 2nd, assuming the season finishes. 6 points on the road and a chance to put an actual gap on rivals.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn
GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 36.Kerrin STOKES, 34.Connor METCALFE, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2 to be omitted**
Ins: 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS (returns from suspension), 20.Adrian LUNA (returns from suspension)
Outs: nil
Unavailable: 5.Jack HENDRY (knee), 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

I think we could see the whole squad used across the next three matches. Assuming we play all games, we've got three in seven days, so rotation will happen and I think Mombaerts will want give the bench players a run. 

XI v CCM:

Glover

Atkinson Griffiths Good Jamieson

Metcalfe Brillante Berenguer

Susaeta Maclaren Najjarine

XI v Newcastle:

Bouzanis

Galloway Stokes Good Delbridge

Luna Griffiths Genreau

Wales Najjar Noone

XI v Adelaide:

Glover

Atkinson Delbridge Good Jamieson

Luna Brillante Berenguer

Susaeta Maclaren Noone

Mombaerts, who joined Melbourne City at the start of the season, is a person considered at a high risk should he contract COVID-19, as he is 64 years old.

As a result the Frenchman and the club have taken the decision to minimise his exposure to the virus while travelling and he will remain at home in Melbourne while the rest of the team fulfils its fixtures, albeit behind closed doors.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-head-coach-to-miss-two-games-over-coronavirus-concerns/news-story/148672455a404dd1082f0a088407f389

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Jesus Jamieson is bad tonight.

Very poor. Not sure why his first instinct is to berate other players for his own mistakes but anyway.

Refereeing is interesting. 

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Harper would be a better commentator if he learnt the rules.

Hasn’t been as harsh against us tonight. Still, he can never truly hide his hatred.