Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics


cadete
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

They are designed to track the person concerned. Surely we can do better than rely on a potential criminal to recharge his tracking device?

I would presume (incorrectly probably) that the monitoring device alerts the monitoring service about battery status. Hence once it falls below a threshold, the police or whomever track them swap devices etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well when he joined the parliament he actually owned one property which was mortgaged. Since then he has used the tax concessions and higher income to become an investor. Don't trawl through his list of personal abodes for whcih he did not have to pay capital gains tax - it could make your blood boil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well when he joined the parliament he actually owned one property which was mortgaged. Since then he has used the tax concessions and higher income to become an investor. Don't trawl through his list of personal abodes for whcih he did not have to pay capital gains tax - it could make your blood boil.

The stats on both the cabinet and the shadow cabinet just tell you that 90% of the lot of them are raging hypocrites.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elsewhere we are referring to "Yes, Minister."

The revelation that the Albanese Government has actually issued a manual on how to give evasive answers to questions at Senate Estimates and elsewhere is a disgrace.

Lesser mortals go to jail for telling the truth. Politicians get rewarded for not doing so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, but I do not see why Senator Fatima Payman should have to resign from a Parliamentary Committee, or her position as a Senator in our national Parliament be affected in any other way because she chooses to express a view on the Middle East conflict.

Do we have a democracy in this country or do we not? Do we have even a vestige of free speech or do we not?

If Israelis and others of that ilk cared to look more recently than 2000 years ago they might notice that a great many Allied soldiers, sailors and airmen from all the Allied countries gave their lives to defeat Hitler and his murderous Nazi regime, as did many, many civilians in European countries.

And if they cared to think other than selfishly they might possibly just come to the conclusion that is they who owe us, and not the other way around.

Senator Payman is entitled to express her views, as are many other Australians who believe that the fighting and the murders will nothing more than prolong a senseless conflict, and that it must stop now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm sorry, but I do not see why Senator Fatima Payman should have to resign from a Parliamentary Committee, or her position as a Senator in our national Parliament be affected in any other way because she chooses to express a view on the Middle East conflict.

Do we have a democracy in this country or do we not? Do we have even a vestige of free speech or do we not?

If Israelis and others of that ilk cared to look more recently than 2000 years ago they might notice that a great many Allied soldiers, sailors and airmen from all the Allied countries gave their lives to defeat Hitler and his murderous Nazi regime, as did many, many civilians in European countries.

And if they cared to think other than selfishly they might possibly just come to the conclusion that is they who owe us, and not the other way around.

Senator Payman is entitled to express her views, as are many other Australians who believe that the fighting and the murders will nothing more than prolong a senseless conflict, and that it must stop now.

 

Fully agree, with you. And the ones who scream the loudest about expelling anyone to the left of Hitler, are the ones who scream the loudest about free speech.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So...Medicare is being removed because it's "sexist."

It needs a more in-depth review than just that. My wife is under 65, I am over. We go to the optometrist for a yearly review. It's exactly the same for both of us - I know because I sit in on hers to assist with translation...but because of our ages I get charged $200 and she gets charged $72. Out of pocket expenses after Medicare rebate, $138 and $41.

Now work that one out for me could you please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So...Medicare is being removed because it's "sexist."

It needs a more in-depth review than just that. My wife is under 65, I am over. We go to the optometrist for a yearly review. It's exactly the same for both of us - I know because I sit in on hers to assist with translation...but because of our ages I get charged $200 and she gets charged $72. Out of pocket expenses after Medicare rebate, $138 and $41.

Now work that one out for me could you please?

It can't be because of your age. Something is not right. Medicare does not discriminate on age but medical providers do. My GP only bulk bills those on pension cards and children under 12. Everyone else is not bulk billed. But that has nothing to do with Medicare, just my GP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There sure is something not right. I checked my spreadsheet for last year. Charge in February 2023 for the same item was $99.

I have emailed the practice and politely asked the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting how governments make a great song and dance about providing public housing.

I regularly travel past the corner of Bluff and Wickham Roads in Hampton. There, opposite Hampton Rovers (Rules) ground, several two-storey public housing blocks were demolished in 2023. The empty site was gloriously fenced with netting that proclaimed "More Homes for More Victorians. It remained like that for over six months. Recently the fencing was replaced by some sort of plywood fence, which was promptly graffitied and has now been painted grey - and the graffiti has recommenced.

Not a single sod of earth has been turned for the construction of "more homes." The site now looks like a fenced-off park, with uncut grass and mature trees.

Meanwhile, in Spring Street and Canberra...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Social media and children. Isn't it up to parents to manage exposure of their children to social media, as part of their caring and bringing up? I can't see that it is a government's responsibility, nor that any government can actually control it even if they pass laws about it.

However, I do believe that the majority of children attending educational establishments such as schools have no reason to carry a smartphone, and that every effort should be made to manage this. That said, I accept that in cases, such as where children might have a long way to travel to get to and return home from school, whether in a rural or metro setting, or children with special needs, carrying a smartphone is justified (indeed even to be encouraged) because today's world is not the simple one of yesteryear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Social media and children. Isn't it up to parents to manage exposure of their children to social media, as part of their caring and bringing up? I can't see that it is a government's responsibility, nor that any government can actually control it even if they pass laws about it.

However, I do believe that the majority of children attending educational establishments such as schools have no reason to carry a smartphone, and that every effort should be made to manage this. That said, I accept that in cases, such as where children might have a long way to travel to get to and return home from school, whether in a rural or metro setting, or children with special needs, carrying a smartphone is justified (indeed even to be encouraged) because today's world is not the simple one of yesteryear.

Hmmm.

1. Politicians show that they are doing something to placate the shrill MSM although everyone knows that they are powerless to do so.

2. Some parents insist that they have access to their children at all times - there have been police charges against such parents for assaulting teachers/principles.

3. It only takes one bad student to expose others. This is why high schools across the nations (even the very expensive ones) have a drug problem. One student who supplies others.

4. Best way to control social media is to make them publishers and the same laws that all publishers have will apply to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...