Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

53 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

They would need to re-write the entire legislative package. Rudd did this during the GFC when taxpayers got either $800 or $1600 depending on the income.

These tax packages designed by Morrison were meant to address bracket creep, except that he made sure that the bracket creep refund was bigger for those on higher incomes. The reworked package does not require complex legislation (as per stages 1 & 2) and more importantly Albo can still claim that the top earners are getting a redress due to bracket creep.

BTW I am not sure that cost of living relief ought to be a goal - Argentina has been doing that for a century and the vicious circle that it got itself into does not show any sign of abating. Inflation exists for a reason and one of those is that you are living beyond your means. The problem with interest rate increases is that it does not necessarily combat the root cause of inflation.

Yes, I agree. I don't like handing out rebates, for example, on power bills or similar. In my view it just exacerbates the problem as you describe. It just encourages people to go on doing what they have always been doing instead of living within their means.

You give home buyers  a few thousand dollars to encourage them to buy a home so the sellers just put up the average price by the same...

And so on and so on.

On 27/01/2024 at 10:14 PM, NewConvert said:

Doesn't work. Chile tried that in the late 70s culminating with record bankruptcies, official unemployment rate of 26% and a an increasing foreign debt - all thanks to the disciples of Milton Friedman who two years before his death conceded that he was wrong. A U-tune was enacted but not enough which eventually led to the mass uprising against the constitution in 2019 (IIRC) which had embedded what you are asking for.

Define hardship. Those at the bottom of the ladder have always experienced hardship - I have been seeing homeless people sleeping in the streets since the 70s. Nothing changes there. The opposite question is why was the Tesla the biggest selling vehicle last year? why is there a market for pick up trucks that are over $70k? why are massive utes such big sellers? Why are overseas flights booked out? This is not necessarily a cost of living crisis - this is more like a cost of luxuries crisis being experienced by people who feel entitled simply by existing.

Because most businesses and their advisors misinterpret (wilful or otherwise) a certain FBT exemption and the ATO appear to be disinclined to do much about it.

7 minutes ago, malloy said:

Because most businesses and their advisors misinterpret (wilful or otherwise) a certain FBT exemption and the ATO appear to be disinclined to do much about it.

True. But still you have to be earning enough to be able to have the FBT come into play.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no, here we go again on "border protection."

Don't our idiot politicians realis that the big majority of "illegals" arrive by air on legit visas and then break their visa conditions and "disappear" into their communities?

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Oh no, here we go again on "border protection."

Don't our idiot politicians realis that the big majority of "illegals" arrive by air on legit visas and then break their visa conditions and "disappear" into their communities?

They  do but don't forget that you are talking about Peter Dutton. And if you would have been in Oz in the 70s and 80s you would realise that he learnt his politics from Russ Hinze.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

They  do but don't forget that you are talking about Peter Dutton. And if you would have been in Oz in the 70s and 80s you would realise that he learnt his politics from Russ Hinze.

I was.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So, an Australian politician who was recruited by a foreign intelligence agency can't (yet?) be named, but a whistleblower who exposes wrongdoing faces a lifetime in jail?

Well, FMD.

Tell me the "system" is corrupt without telling me it's corrupt...

• Haha 1

Those protesters demanding that a climate emergency be declared right now, what are they hoping to achieve? The Constitution only mentions emergency in the case of Defence as in military matters. So even if Albanese, Dutton, Littleproud, and everyone else state that there is a climate emergency, what will that achieve? Whatever the government may want to do, it still has to draw legislation and get it through both the house and the Senate. And then the States have to mirror those efforts.

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Those protesters demanding that a climate emergency be declared right now, what are they hoping to achieve? The Constitution only mentions emergency in the case of Defence as in military matters. So even if Albanese, Dutton, Littleproud, and everyone else state that there is a climate emergency, what will that achieve? Whatever the government may want to do, it still has to draw legislation and get it through both the house and the Senate. And then the States have to mirror those efforts.

It also really depends which scientists you wish to believe regarding the whole "climate emergency" as there are scientists that don't all preach the same message about the current climate "situation" 

These "extinction rebellion" protesters are fu$king idiots and glad they got thrown in the slamer!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I was involved in the Greenhouse Challenge in the final 10 years (or so) before my retirement. That program lapsed in 2009.

The reason for the "activists" is because Australian and State governments have done bugger all to address and actually reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse emissions for over 30 years.

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It also really depends which scientists you wish to believe regarding the whole "climate emergency" as there are scientists that don't all preach the same message about the current climate "situation" 

These "extinction rebellion" protesters are fu$king idiots and glad they got thrown in the slamer!

It is very common for scientists to debate emerging science, and there's nothing wrong with such debate. But I submit to you that the overwhelming majority of actual climate scientists are of the view that climate change cause by human activity is real and on us now, well ahead of previous forecasts, and there is no room for climate "deniers."

The problem is now acute, because in many cases the solutions to excessive emissions will actually worsen the situation before they will achieve the desired reductions in, and eventual elimination of, such emissions.

The problem in Australia is compounded by our federation set-up, and the ridiculous 3-year election cycle at a Commonwealth level, a pre-occupation with social engineering trivia, and poor education standards.

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I was involved in the Greenhouse Challenge in the final 10 years (or so) before my retirement. That program lapsed in 2009.

The reason for the "activists" is because Australian and State governments have done bugger all to address and actually reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse emissions for over 30 years.

It is very common for scientists to debate emerging science, and there's nothing wrong with such debate. But I submit to you that the overwhelming majority of actual climate scientists are of the view that climate change cause by human activity is real and on us now, well ahead of previous forecasts, and there is no room for climate "deniers."

The problem is now acute, because in many cases the solutions to excessive emissions will actually worsen the situation before they will achieve the desired reductions in, and eventual elimination of, such emissions.

The problem in Australia is compounded by our federation set-up, and the ridiculous 3-year election cycle at a Commonwealth level, a pre-occupation with social engineering trivia, and poor education standards.

I accept that climate change is real and things will get worse before getting better. The issue I had is that declaring a climate emergency does not imply or require that any program be funded or legislation be enacted.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yet more...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-19/breakthrough-victoria-bad-investments-no-transparency/103605338

How do we, as voters, change what goes on? Both major alternative governments are as bad as one another. Where is the accountability?

This goes back to the mid 90s when state governments started creating the corporations immediately followed by the "commercial-in-confidence". I wish I had an answer. Maybe to constitutionally ban governments from creating corporations and the dreaded commercial in confidence clauses.

Of course the other core problem is that since most of the large corporations are owned by overseas investors they take all the money out but do little R&D in Oz. Hence the lowest R&D records under the coalition. Thus governments feel the need to step in. Change the tax system to one that relies on turnover and get a discount for R&D invested in Oz.

21 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Explain 

It depends on your point of view. I'm disappointed with:
- the aftermath of the "Voice." Although I do not support a change in he Constitution, a properly constituted "Voice" could easily be legislated and make representation to Parliament. It appears that there was a lack of sincerity in the whole thing.
- failure to push through with legislation or accepting watered-down legislation.
- failure to implement change in the NDIS where disabled people are just being ripped off.
- failure on renewables where we are well short of our milestones (the States probably equally liable there).
- going ahead with AUKUS where I don't believe there is a genuine threat and if there ever is we will have no chance of defending ourselves anyway. Likewise unnecessary remarks concerning Taiwan.
- failure to utterly condemn the State-sponsored murder, starvation and wholesale destruction in Gaza.
- failure to get Julian Assange back home.
- failure to get energy prices down.

And plenty more. Immigration (having personally endured nearly three-and-a-half years at the hands of these people). 

Rant over - for the moment.

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It depends on your point of view. I'm disappointed with:
- the aftermath of the "Voice." Although I do not support a change in he Constitution, a properly constituted "Voice" could easily be legislated and make representation to Parliament. It appears that there was a lack of sincerity in the whole thing.

Once upon a time there was ATSIC which was heavily campaigned against by News Corp (corruption allegations, nepotism, etc) and Howard abolished. In the end there were two prosecutions of corruption which were thrown out at committal hearings (Senator Price stopped re-airing the allegations when she was presented with a defamation threat). So any legislation will be overturned for the convenience of News Corp. I will also note that News Corp and the Institute of Public Affairs campaigns against the Fairwork Commission (or its predecessors) but they cannot abolish it because it is constitutionally protected.

- failure to push through with legislation or accepting watered-down legislation.
- failure to implement change in the NDIS where disabled people are just being ripped off.

Haste vs thoroughness. I prefer thoroughness. Only last month did they make the report as to the scope of Definitions which predictably brought on howls of protest. "I'm a dickhead so I need the NDIS".

- failure on renewables where we are well short of our milestones (the States probably equally liable there).

Just introducing standards has been hard enough. Go over to News Corp and you would think that you were living in North Korea.

- going ahead with AUKUS where I don't believe there is a genuine threat and if there ever is we will have no chance of defending ourselves anyway. Likewise unnecessary remarks concerning Taiwan.

Agree but one sure way to lose government is to downgrade the alliance with the USA. I am hopeful that the USA will put an end to it.

- failure to utterly condemn the State-sponsored murder, starvation and wholesale destruction in Gaza.

Agree.
- failure to get Julian Assange back home.

Agree.
- failure to get energy prices down.

This is an infrastructure issue which normally would take 10 to 20 years of planning and delivery. And we had 30 years of obfuscation courtesy of News Corp and the Coalition. The privatisation of energy generating infrastructure has proven on the whole to be a disaster for the average punter.

And plenty more. Immigration (having personally endured nearly three-and-a-half years at the hands of these people). 

Rant over - for the moment.

• Like 1

Just to think that the people involved and now being named and referenced during the sordid revelations around Lehrmann and Higgins were anywhere near Parliament House let alone inside it and working in our system of government just makes me feel ill.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just to think that the people involved and now being named and referenced during the sordid revelations around Lehrmann and Higgins were anywhere near Parliament House let alone inside it and working in our system of government just makes me feel ill.

What bothers me, is the allegations in court of cocaine use in the defence department. If it was the Arts ministry, it comes with the territory; if it was Treasury or Finance, its the only plausible explanation; but I draw the line at defence.

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

What bothers me, is the allegations in court of cocaine use in the defence department. If it was the Arts ministry, it comes with the territory; if it was Treasury or Finance, its the only plausible explanation; but I draw the line at defence.

More so when on the night that started it all neither Lehmann nor Higgins had their security passes on them and at 2.00 a.m. were let into Parliament House and a Minister's office by "security."

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So we have another $50b to throw at "defence" (against a thought bubble threat) and at the same time we increase the charges for our own young people who try to better themselves through further education?

This country is going down the shitter!! The politicians don't give a fu#k and just carry out their agendas!

• Like 1

It's also pissing me off to learn today that athletes get fast-tracked to citizenship so that they can represent Australia at sport, whereas other perfectly respectable applicants for a visa (not citizenship), such as someone who has married an Australian citizen, have to wait years.

Double standards.

• Like 2