Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

I was around where the Greens were, a bit more socially progressive though. Fairly economically right for a dirty Communist haha (jks), but to be fair, economically speaking I am not like most on the left here in Australia haha.

You ain't going to stay on the left brudda.

Reading some of your posts you care too much about actually helping people (as in actually achieving something) and not enough about "processes" and "making statements".  Going to get pretty lonely over there.  Come on over, might find that those who make money can actually do good in the world.

See:

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/honour-roll/?view=fullView&recipientID=121

https://indigenousjobsandtrainingreview.dpmc.gov.au/about/andrew-forrest

• Like 1

I was around where the Greens were, a bit more socially progressive though. Fairly economically right for a dirty Communist haha (jks), but to be fair, economically speaking I am not like most on the left here in Australia haha.

You ain't going to stay on the left brudda.

Reading some of your posts you care too much about actually helping people (as in actually achieving something) and not enough about "processes" and "making statements".  Going to get pretty lonely over there.  Come on over, might find that those who make money can actually do good in the world.

See:

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/honour-roll/?view=fullView&recipientID=121

https://indigenousjobsandtrainingreview.dpmc.gov.au/about/andrew-forrest

Aha nice try ;) , I don't doubt that people who can make money can do good in the world, I am not like others on the left who are completely blind to the good those people have done haha!

Honestly, the thing that has destroyed my opinion of a lot of those on the left is that I have spent a lot of my life on shitty websites like Tumblr haha.

When is the Vic state election? Having moved here a month ago is there a certain amount of time you need to live in a state to vote in their elections? I assume not but makes it difficult to vote when you have little knowledge of the candidates and the lay of the land politically in the electorate that i'm in. I'm going to hazard a guess that Prahran is a predominantly LNP voting area just from the demographic of the area but could be completely wrong. Seems like infrastructure is the major sticking point at the moment with this EW Link thing I'd really have zero idea how that influences me though. The public trasnport here is ridiculously good compared to what I'm used to so argue for that over roads doesn't make much sense but as I said i've no idea how it really effects anything. 

http://www.vec.vic.gov.au/Elections/2014VictorianStateelection.html#enrol

What if I didn’t enrol?

The roll for the State election has now closed. If you missed updating your details before the close of roll for this election, you will need to vote for your previous enrolment details.

To check if you are on the roll for the State election, call 131 832.

You can still update your enrolment details online, but the changes won’t come into effect for this State election.

If you have missed the deadline to be included on the State election roll, you should attend an early voting centre or election day voting centre to enrol and vote on the spot. To do so, you should bring a proof of identity. Acceptable proofs of identity include:

• a driver licence or learner permit
  • a council rates notice in your name or
  • an electricity bill in your name for your current home address.

It may take longer to enrol and vote at a voting centre, so please allow extra time.

As you'd still be considered a WA resident and nobody knows you're living here you won't get fined for not voting. 

Edited by hedaik

Bad news lads apparently Aussie Disposals just sold out of all its Russian Flags today, however dont despair because they have plenty of Indonesian Flags back in stock after they were in such heavy demand this time last year.

NOTE: As per usual when another nation's Flags are high demand besides Cuba or Palestine... the Aussie Disposal Dumpster is devoid of anything remotely edible by this point of the day. 

Edited by cadete

Left wing claims on EW Link:

1. EW Link traffic estimates are overstated, there will be very few cars using it and therefore it will be a financial dud costing Victorian taxpayers $3205729034723052304234.

2. EW Link will induce so many more cars onto the roads, using the tunnel to get from A to B much quicker, and so it will actually create more traffic and it's a dud.

:hmm:

:hmm: :hmm:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Left wing logic :droy:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Vote #1 Moira Deeming - Liberal for St. Albans

But I might be biased

I was going to anyway.

Disappointed with the lack of propaganda attacking the Labor candidate for her alleged involvement in the corrupt deals of Brimbank council TBH. Don't know how anyone that knows the publicly available facts on what went on with Brimbank council can vote for her, but then again Labor could preselect a dog as it's candidate out here and it would win with at least a 10% margin.

BTW, anyone know what the go with changing address is? Is there still time? Can it be done on the day? etc,

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Actually I've always wondered what the candidates in these seats that are held by the other party by a huge margin hope to achieve? Just eat into the margin as much as possible? And then what? Say you turn a 14% seat into a 7% seat, are you likely to get a go at something better next time around? Or even just another go on the same seat?

Actually I've always wondered what the candidates in these seats that are held by the other party by a huge margin hope to achieve? Just eat into the margin as much as possible? And then what? Say you turn a 14% seat into a 7% seat, are you likely to get a go at something better next time around? Or even just another go on the same seat?

I know of someone who you could ask this very question too... 

BTW whilst we are at it you have gotta love the Pinkos getting behind Obama's Climate Change message...

Of course none of them keep up with US Politics so they dont realise that the reason Obama can come out and say these things is because his own PPL at the recent Congress Elections have turned him into a Toothless Tiger who never has worry anymore about backing up anything he says for the rest of term.

Certainly I've seen some parties (particularly the ALP) use this as an "earning the stripes" process so that the candidate can graduate to a more winnable seat.  Certainly this was the case for Con Sciacca, who lost about 4 times before getting into federal parliament and going on to be a minister.  Having said though I reckon Con's the exception.   They might promise a safe seat, but when push comes to a shove someone well connected will parachute in instead.

So its a valid question.  I reckon most just think they are doing their bit for the party, the country/state and democracy (providing an alternative) and who knows, get a leader like Whitlam in power and you might find that 15% isn't unwinnable after all....

Certainly I've seen some parties (particularly the ALP) use this as an "earning the stripes" process so that the candidate can graduate to a more winnable seat.  Certainly this was the case for Con Sciacca, who lost about 4 times before getting into federal parliament and going on to be a minister.  Having said though I reckon Con's the exception.   They might promise a safe seat, but when push comes to a shove someone well connected will parachute in instead.

So its a valid question.  I reckon most just think they are doing their bit for the party, the country/state and democracy (providing an alternative) and who knows, get a leader like Whitlam in power and you might find that 15% isn't unwinnable after all....

LOL - You only ever get one Alan Bond... or one Gough Whitlam.

• Like 1

BTW whilst we are at it you have gotta love the Pinkos getting behind Obama's Climate Change message...

Of course none of them keep up with US Politics so they dont realise that the reason Obama can come out and say these things is because his own PPL at the recent Congress Elections have turned him into a Toothless Tiger who never has worry anymore about backing up anything he says for the rest of term.

So are you saying the agreements with China won't ever eventuate?

I am saying that there is a long way to go on this one... and I can also recall Clinton making a lot of nice sounding philosophical comments towards the end of his Presidency when a lot of his power had be eroded by the Lewinsky Affair.

Also in a 100 or 200 years when having a Black/Woman/Whatever President is common place a lot of Historians are going to be puzzled by the constant positive contemporary reporting about the Obama Presidency.

Lets face it at the end of day besides breaking through an obvious cultural barrier in being elected in the first place his Presidency really has been one that has achieved very little... in fact this has been its most enduring theme: an inability to legislate and govern.

Edited by cadete

Vote #1 Moira Deeming - Liberal for St. Albans

But I might be biased

I was going to anyway.

Disappointed with the lack of propaganda attacking the Labor candidate for her alleged involvement in the corrupt deals of Brimbank council TBH. Don't know how anyone that knows the publicly available facts on what went on with Brimbank council can vote for her, but then again Labor could preselect a dog as it's candidate out here and it would win with at least a 10% margin.

BTW, anyone know what the go with changing address is? Is there still time? Can it be done on the day? etc,

There is a lot on the public record in regards to Natalie Sulleyman, the Brimbank council and the ombudsman.

I am hopeful that with that and the Liberals delivering on the St Albans level crossing that will change people's minds.

It is now too late to alter your address.

• Like 1

It is about providing an alternative and giving your party's supporters someone to vote for.

Some use it as a stepping stone others do aim to reduce the margins year on year and I think that is what we are seeing in the west

I am saying that there is a long way to go on this one... and I can also recall Clinton making a lot of nice sounding philosophical comments towards the end of his Presidency when a lot of his power had be eroded by the Lewinsky Affair.

Also in a 100 or 200 years when having a Black/Woman/Whatever President is common place a lot of Historians are going to be puzzled by the constant positive contemporary reporting about the Obama Presidency.

Lets face it at the end of day besides breaking through an obvious cultural barrier in being elected in the first place his Presidency really has been one that has achieved very little... in fact this has been its most enduring theme: an inability to legislate and govern. Well political history and thoughts on Obamas politics aside, I think its a pretty amazing agreement should it go through....considering most people in Australia against reducing any emissions cite China as why we shouldnt act.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Lets face it at the end of day besides breaking through an obvious cultural barrier in being elected in the first place his Presidency really has been one that has achieved very little... in fact this has been its most enduring theme: an inability to legislate and govern.Well political history and thoughts on Obamas politics aside, I think its a pretty amazing agreement should it go through....considering most people in Australia against reducing any emissions cite China as why we shouldnt act. My understanding of the agreement is that there is no requirement for China to do anything until 2030, by which time they could doubtless find away to wriggle out of.

Sounds like a pretty good reason to do nothing ourselves till 2030.

• Like 2