Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

One example of war almost destroying an economy  is Japan's war against Russia in the early 20th century. Before then Japan's economy was fairly good, it wasn't at American or Western European levels, but it was far better than the economies of China, Korea and Eastern Europe.

However, they didn't get any benefits from fighting the war, in fact, they racked up ridiculous amounts of debt and the economy tanked. It took a decade to recover to pre-war levels. It is a fairly extreme (and old) example, but an example of a (somewhat) capitalist nation taking a massive economic hit due to war.

Honestly, I agree with KSK's assessment in that the only reason the US really benefitted from the two world wars was because they were pretty much untouched. Also, the rest of the world wanted to buy their goods because a fair bit of industry around the world was pretty much gone.

So really, if the government were to invest in infrastructure, instead of spending it on a war, you are both improving the short term situation and the long term situation (infrastructure = supply). Or if they were to spend it on research, then they are affecting the short term and the very long term (research = possible technological advancements).

I'll also add that this is one of the (quite possibly the biggest) reasons why post-war America (and other nations) did quite well.

Economics stimulus

--------------------------

It's a slow day in the small town, and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt and living on credit.

A tourist happens by the town and stops at the hotel. He puts $100 on the counter and asks to see the rooms upstairs so that he can choose one to stay for the night.

As soon as he goes upstairs, the hotelier takes the $100 and runs next door to pay his $100 debt to the butcher. The butcher in turn runs down the street and pays off his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer then heads off and pays off his debt to his supplier the Agricultural Stores. The owner of the Stores in turn takes the $100 and runs to pay off his debt to the local prostitute for her "services." Finally, the prostitute rushes to the hotel and pays off her $100 room bill debt with the hotelier.

Just in time the hotelier puts the $100 back on the counter as the tourist returns from upstairs. As it happens, the tourist doesn't like any of the rooms, so he pockets the $100 and leaves town.

The small sleepy town is now out of debt, and everyone looks forward to the future with more optimism.

And that, my friends, is economic stimulus.

• Like 4

One of my uni lecturers for Business Management (who is a self-confessed Tony Abbott hater, just for the record) is adamant World War 3 is around the corner, and also brought up the prospect of conscription.

Thoughts?

Do you go to Deakin? Edited by cadete

One of my uni lecturers for Business Management (who is a self-confessed Tony Abbott hater, just for the record) is adamant World War 3 is around the corner, and also brought up the prospect of conscription.

Thoughts?

No slant on yourself mate about your education but you don't attend Uni at Melbourne do you?

I'm at La Trobe Wodonga, Bundoora next year :P 

All my uni teachers are lefties and love to push their political agenda on all the young impressionable minds that they teach. I always sit back and chuckle at how more than half the people sitting around me take every word they say as gospel.

My Economics teacher is the worst for it. Every bit of content seems to somehow relate to how bad a job Joe Hockey is doing.

All my uni teachers are lefties and love to push their political agenda on all the young impressionable minds that they teach. I always sit back and chuckle at how more than half the people sitting around me take every word they say as gospel.

My Economics teacher is the worst for it. Every bit of content seems to somehow relate to how bad a job Joe Hockey is doing.

This is why people work hard to get into Melbourne & Monash universities, and not some bumpkin country town university.

My economics lecturer at Melbourne University was a Marxist though :hmm:

My Asian Studies teacher admitted that he was a Maoist when he was at Uni. He looked noticeably embarrased by it, which is understandable. He is still relatively 'left', but he doesn't really push it on us. The only time I can think of where it kind of showed was when he was talking about Japan's economic system, but even then he wasn't really biased about it.

My Creative Writing teacher on the other hand... Self-Confessed Maoist, and proud of it. He always ranted about how much he hates Capitalism etc, etc.

Seriously, I didn't think Maoism was still relevent at all. The guy killed more than 30 million people with his asinine policies. I really don't think somebody who made people smelt steel in their backyards should be somebody you take political and economic advice from.

My Asian Studies teacher admitted that he was a Maoist when he was at Uni. He looked noticeably embarrased by it, which is understandable. He is still relatively 'left', but he doesn't really push it on us. The only time I can think of where it kind of showed was when he was talking about Japan's economic system, but even then he wasn't really biased about it.

My Creative Writing teacher on the other hand... Self-Confessed Maoist, and proud of it. He always ranted about how much he hates Capitalism etc, etc.

Seriously, I didn't think Maoism was still relevent at all. The guy killed more than 30 million people with his asinine policies. I really don't think somebody who made people smelt steel in their backyards should be somebody you take political and economic advice from.

It says a lot about these Young Pinko types in how its perfectly socially acceptable for them to have Display Pictures of the Mass Murderers in Mao or Stalin on their Twitter or Facebook Profiles but they all would consider a War Crime if someone was to chose a picture of George W Bush for their profile.

Also on George W Bush - I think PPL need to probably need give the guy more credit than viewing him simply as a Southern Simpleton seeing as it is now a fact that he correctly predicted that if US troops were pulled out of Iraq a Terrorist Militia would consume the country.

Edited by cadete

I'm pretty sure its in the Position Description to be left-wing if you are a university lecturer. Same PD if you want to work at the ABC

Obviously generally more lecturers are Left Wing than Conservative but its much peddled myth that all lecturers are Left Wing.

Almost as peddled as the myth that all Scientists accept Humans are causing Climate Change where in fact there are decent amount of Scientists that are Professors at some of the world's best Universities in the world that the Left label as "Climate Change Denialists".

Edited by cadete

I'm pretty sure its in the Position Description to be left-wing if you are a university lecturer. Same PD if you want to work at the ABC

Obviously generally more lecturers are Left Wing than Conservative but its much peddled myth that all lecturers are Left Wing.

Almost as peddled as the myth that all Scientists accept Humans are causing Climate Change where in fact there are decent amount of Scientists that are Professors at some of the world's best Universities in the world that the Left label as "Climate Change Denialists".

Yeah I was exaggerating (a bit)

lol climate change, what happened to the guy who posted that there was irrefutable proof that climate change exists, and when I asked him to provide details we never heard from him again :hmm:

Too many fucking retards that just believe whatever they hear.

99% of cunts who go on about climate change dont actually know shit about climate change.

Of course, absence of evidence doesn't equate to evidence of absence, but if you're going to be running your mouth about it, advocating drastic measures, insulting anyone that doesn't agree with you, etc., you better have some fucking evidence or shut the fuck up.

Problem is...

in the 80s it was the 'next ice age'. Then the 'greenhouse effect', then 'global warming'... Now they realize they need to come up with a more inclusive term coz being specific only leads to the 'egg on face effect'.

Climate change was born and the good news for the greenies; it covers everything from hurricanes to duck flatulence.

lol climate change, what happened to the guy who posted that there was irrefutable proof that climate change exists, and when I asked him to provide details we never heard from him again :hmm:

99% of cunts who go on about climate change dont actually know shit about climate change.

Of course, absence of evidence doesn't equate to evidence of absence, but if you're going to be running your mouth about it, advocating drastic measures, insulting anyone that doesn't agree with you, etc., you better have some fucking evidence or shut the fuck up.

Do you mean the bloke who thinks that "To save the environment there has to be a global revolution that wipes out the capitalist cancer from the face of this planet"??? :hmm:

Or someone else.

Feel the same way about the denialists who choose to believe an absolute minority of scientists.

I am just a crazy religious nut but isn't it just being scientific holding out for conclusive scientific proof before 100% believing in something as Scientifically Proven? :hmm:

Because just believing sounds like what me and the other religious nuts do on Sunday.

Edited by cadete

Do you mean the bloke who thinks that "To save the environment there has to be a global revolution that wipes out the capitalist cancer from the face of this planet"??? :hmm:

Or someone else.

Feel the same way about the denialists who choose to believe an absolute minority of scientists.

I am just a crazy religious nut but isn't it just being scientific holding out for conclusive scientific proof before 100% believing in something as Scientifically Proven? :hmm:

Because just believing sounds like what me and the other religious nuts do on Sunday.

Science is meant to be debated, but randoms on internet forums trying to discredit a popular opinion of scientists holds just as much weight as getting financial advice at a BBQ.

Or someone else.

Feel the same way about the denialists who choose to believe an absolute minority of scientists. I am just a crazy religious nut but isn't it just being scientific holding out for conclusive scientific proof before 100% believing in something as Scientifically Proven? :hmm:

Science is meant to be debated, but randoms on internet forums trying to discredit a popular opinion of scientists holds just as much weight as getting financial advice at a BBQ.

A quick glance through History or even Modern History shows that the "Popular Opinion of Scientists" has on many an occasion added up to not much at all when "Scientific Proof" has finally entered the equation.

Or someone else.

Feel the same way about the denialists who choose to believe an absolute minority of scientists.I am just a crazy religious nut but isn't it just being scientific holding out for conclusive scientific proof before 100% believing in something as Scientifically Proven? :hmm:

Because just believing sounds like what me and the other religious nuts do on Sunday. Science is meant to be debated, but randoms on internet forums trying to discredit a popular opinion of scientists holds just as much weight as getting financial advice at a BBQ.

A quick glance through History or even Modern History shows that the "Popular Opinion of Scientists" has on many an occasion added up to not much at all when "Scientific Proof" has finally entered the equation.

So does the fact that science has sometimes been wrong in the past mean we just ignore a current day opinion?

Even if I'm wrong and there is no man made climate change, the world still wins from not pumping so much shit into the air.

(Deleting previous quotes sucks on a phone)

• Like 1

Even if I'm wrong and there is no man made climate change, the world still wins from not pumping so much shit into the air.

This I actually do agree with too an extent, that's why I was never a strong opponent on the carbon tax. Regardless of climate change, there should be a carbon tax (because releasing carbon in the air is still pollution that should have to be paid for), but only if other countries follow suit (and they won't, there lies the problem).

Or someone else.

Feel the same way about the denialists who choose to believe an absolute minority of scientists. I am just a crazy religious nut but isn't it just being scientific holding out for conclusive scientific proof before 100% believing in something as Scientifically Proven? :hmm:

Because just believing sounds like what me and the other religious nuts do on Sunday. Science is meant to be debated, but randoms on internet forums trying to discredit a popular opinion of scientists holds just as much weight as getting financial advice at a BBQ. A quick glance through History or even Modern History shows that the "Popular Opinion of Scientists" has on many an occasion added up to not much at all when "Scientific Proof" has finally entered the equation.

So does the fact that science has sometimes been wrong in the past mean we just ignore a current day opinion?

(Deleting previous quotes sucks on a phone)

I actually pretty much agree with you there and I have even done a fair bit of work on Sustainable Projects in my job which I found to useful and profitable exercises, however I obviously should say that probably don't think that Climate Change should be as big an influence on Government Policy as you probably do...

What I have a problem with is particular large sections of society and their favourite parts of the media telling me something should be treated as fact when it is not factually proven... yet anyway.

Essentially its Fundamentalism because those who do as such in regards to Christianity or Islam are rightfully given such a label.

Edited by cadete

FWIW, I'm not a denialist, I'm just a guy who knows that:

1. He knows very little about climate change (which is obviously a complex topic)

2. It's far from a proven theory

3. I'm not like I'm the one that's going to make the decision on what we do about the supposed 'climate change' so I don't really have much reason to justify spending the time it would take to do enough research to form an opinion on it one way or the other.

So I don't really hold a position either way.

But if people are advocating a move away from the status quo, and implementing measures that could potentially put a large cost on society, they should be able to back this up with some scientific proof.

Having said that, as I allude to above, I beleive that:

1. Regardless of climate change, releasing carbon in the air can't be a good thing.

2. Economics 101 = pollution is a negative externality whose cost should be factored into the decision making process of economic actors by taxing it.

3. However, implementing a carbon tax in Australia while the rest of the world doesn't implement similar measures, is of little value since I'd argue that most of the negative effect(especially if climate change is true) is felt world wide, and the local negative effects are only minimal.

• Like 1

Wow, wonderful bastardisation of the scientific method and what a theory means to the scientific community by all and sundry.

Which is fine from a Domestic Politics thread :D

I supposed you used this scientific method for this fantastic "Soccer Conspiracy" article of yours about the Chair Ripping Incident. :droy:

http://allheartallhead.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/football-soccer-and-the-media/

Also on George W Bush - I think PPL need to probably need give the guy more credit than viewing him simply as a Southern Simpleton seeing as it is now a fact that he correctly predicted that if US troops were pulled out of Iraq a Terrorist Militia would consume the country.

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything?

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything? Um I already mentioned what he predicted in the post you quoted...

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything?

Not sticking up for Bush in any, but if decide how good a PM/leader is on how good a public speaker they are then you are only ever gonna get retards as leaders.

And by using that argument you would then have to conclude that Hitler was one of the greatest leaders in modern history......

One of Australia's most successful PMs was a horrible public speaker.

• Like 1

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything? Not sticking up for Bush in any, but if decide how good a PM/leader is on how good a public speaker they are then you are only ever gonna get retards as leaders.

And by using that argument you would then have to conclude that Hitler was one of the greatest leaders in modern history......

Horrific human obviously, but Hitler was a good leader...

Not sticking up for Bush in any, but if decide how good a PM/leader is on how good a public speaker they are then you are only ever gonna get retards as leaders.

Just going on this point, Obama is a great example of someone who is a terrific public speaker but isn't necessarily the strongest of leaders. 

• Like 1

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything? Not sticking up for Bush in any, but if decide how good a PM/leader is on how good a public speaker they are then you are only ever gonna get retards as leaders.

Haha. I was actually going to say the same thing. If he wasnt a complete psychopath who was hell bent on killing everyone, I would love to have a PM like that! 

Edited by KSK_47

Haha. I was actually going to say the same thing. If he wasnt a complete psychopath who was hell bent on killing everyone, I would love to have a PM like that! 

Hitler was a complete monster, but he did kind of fix Germany after World War 1. Granted he fucked all of that good work up, but still.

Just going on this point, Obama is a great example of someone who is a terrific public speaker but isn't necessarily the strongest of leaders. 

I have never got the desire of some people to have a 'strong' leader which  seems to mean to people someone who shoots first and asks questions later... But, in that context,  he was the guy who said yes to the Osama Bin Laden mission, against  advice with about a 50-50 chance of it being successful. Perhaps I am too cynical but when I hear these leaders say we are going to destroy these murderers blah blah blah and run in all guns blazing I roll my eyes. However, in saying that, I understand that they need to say these things to the public.

I have never got the desire of some people to have a 'strong' leader which  seems to mean to people someone who shoots first and asks questions later... But, in that context,  he was the guy who said yes to the Osama Bin Laden mission, against  advice with about a 50-50 chance of it being successful. Perhaps I am too cynical but when I hear these leaders say we are going to destroy these murderers blah blah blah and run in all guns blazing I roll my eyes. However, in saying that, I understand that they need to say these things to the public.

The strong talking is just to instill confidence in the public, I'm certain there is carefully deliberated planning taking place behind the scenes. 

The bloke couldn't string two sentences together without the help of an auto-cue, and even then he wasn't very good at it! What on earth makes you believe HE predicted anything?Not sticking up for Bush in any, but if decide how good a PM/leader is on how good a public speaker they are then you are only ever gonna get retards as leaders.

One of Australia's most successful PMs was a horrible public speaker.Horrific human obviously, but Hitler was a good leader...

Hitler was a complete monster, but he did kind of fix Germany after World War 1. Granted he fucked all of that good work up, but still.Actually this is a bit of myth...

Most Historians say that Hitler's famed economic measures were very shortsighted and about to ran afoul but the war prevented this from occurring.

PPL tend overestimate Hitler's intelligence (The films don't help) but the bloke was not the brightest...

I mean the guy flunked Art School, he was also a Napoleon Buff who studied the Emperor at length but then still made a lot of the same famous mistakes that Napoleon made down to a tee.

In fact FWIW George W Bush actually has a higher IQ than what is the general consensus of what PPL believe Hitlers IQ was...

I am not calling Bush a great or smart president but I do think it's kind of weird that a lot of the Left seem to hate him even more than Hitler... who knows maybe it's Hitler's bizarre facial hair is seen as Hipster now.

Edited by cadete

If anyone who thinks Hitler was a good leader they are incorrect. Nearly all of Nazi germany's successes or great feats were on the back of other senior party members or SS Generals. In fact usually when Hitler pulled rank on decisions against the advice of his generals or other party members it was to the detriment of Nazi Germany.

However if you want to award him points for being a great leader for achieving so much because of what he managed to get those people to then you can... Though it is pretty easy to ensure that you get the best out of someone if their other option is death.