Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

We did it before very successfully. We only turned back a handful of boats last time and stopped coming all together. They got the fucking picture very quickly and didnt bother anymore. Why we even changed the practice in the first place is mind rape.

maybe because the ALP wanted to be a 'good international citizen' and comply with International Law

International Law though..  such a :droy:

Lol - So true about International Law

Only VCE Debating Teams from Expensive Private Girls Schools actually believe in International Law. :up:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

And even as a year 12 politics student I understand that if being a good international citizen comes at a cost of achieving national interest, it simply isn't worth doing. Unless being a good international citizen IS a national interest, as seen by the ALP.

Kevin Rudd prioritized it as national interest, but at the same time encouraged the USA to keep its Nuclear Weapons etc. Such an inconsistent farce of a foreign policy with that bloke.

Post during work hours of course :droy:

Didnt think hearing about Krudds tweet on 2GB granted a rush for the ipad.

Well maybe you should think, because if you did then we wouldnt have gotten ourselves into this mess of having to wait over 10 hours to see a picture of Kevin Rudd shaving.

• Like 1

Post during work hours of course :droy:

Didnt think hearing about Krudds tweet on 2GB granted a rush for the ipad.

Well maybe you should think, because if you did then we wouldnt have gotten ourselves into this mess of having to wait over 10 hours to see a picture of Kevin Rudd shaving.

Why is he shaving?

Doesn't he wan some Hipster Cred to win back the seat of Melbourne?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck Kevin Rudd and his bizzarre lurch to the right against refugees arriving by boat. Fucking hypocrite who once lambasted the pacific solution for its lack of humanity; PNG for their human rights records. Would prefer a consistently anti-boat people government than a poser like him.

Will vote for greens and probs preference Liberal above Labor, but everyone fucking sucks.  Goddamn.

Edited by Che

Fuck Kevin Rudd and his bizzarre lurch to the right against refugees arriving by boat. Fucking hypocrite who once lambasted the pacific solution for its lack of humanity; PNG for their human rights records. Would prefer a consistently anti-boat people government than a poser like him.

Will vote for greens and probs preference Liberal above Labor, but everyone fucking sucks.  Goddamn.

Why are Labor voters so racist towards PNG that they consider it to be inferior to Australia ?  

Why are Labor voters so racist towards PNG that they consider it to be inferior to Australia ?  

:droy:

• Like 1

Rudd has pretty much stopped the boats in one move. Ain't nobody risking their lives to go from Indonesia to PNG. Well played Mr Rudd.

You're still shit and will still lose the election though :up:

In b4 Che, BH, etc., I don't see anything wrong with us trying to minimise the amount of refugees we take in, they cost the country money.

FWIW, its the fault of left wing government policies that they are such a burden. If they were allowed to work, rather than relying on government handouts, everyone would be better off. Won't happen since unskilled Australian would be mad AF since they will miss out on jobs. But thats easily solved by reducing the minimum wage and bureaucracy/costs involved in employing someone so that jobs are created for these people. Problem solved :up:

• Like 1

FWIW, its the fault of left wing government policies that they are such a burden. If they were allowed to work, rather than relying on government handouts, everyone would be better off. Won't happen since unskilled Australian would be mad AF since they will miss out on jobs. But thats easily solved by reducing the minimum wage and bureaucracy/costs involved in employing someone so that jobs are created for these people. Problem solved :up:

I don't neccasarily disagree with this. Think at the very least they should be offered skills training whilst in detention centres so they can work and contribute to the betterment of Australian society.

Part of the issue with refugees in Australia is that the traditional source of employment for migrants is beginning to dry up in Australia - manufacturing, factory production line work that European and Asian migrants of the last century were employed in has started to dissapear. What's left effectively is care work - which Australia desperately needs but refugees aren't always trained enough to provide. But the employment statistics several years on for refugees is generally fairly strong - i think i read that 75% were employed after 4 years of living in the country?

I guess I just dislike this boat policy etc on the grounds that I reject the notion that there is a 'queue' to enter the country or that persecuted minorities should have to wait or be punished for a method of arrival onto Australian shores. If people dieing in boats is the real issue, then why not allow individuals to seek asylum at airports - thereby crushing the role of people smugglers, increasing business for Australian airlines and forcing whoever comes to have passports / identity documents for faster processing, and reducing the amount spent on defence and border patrol having to chase them. Money saved can go towards training initiatives for refugees, housing etc in order to assist them get work. Easy done without violating international law and making Australia look like the most backward xenophobic shithole on earth.

I also more broadly believe in the right of human beings to migrate...as they have done for thousands of years to places that are more habitable.

• Like 1

I don't neccasarily disagree with this. Think at the very least they should be offered skills training whilst in detention centres so they can work and contribute to the betterment of Australian society.

Part of the issue with refugees in Australia is that the traditional source of employment for migrants is beginning to dry up in Australia - manufacturing, factory production line work that European and Asian migrants of the last century were employed in has started to dissapear. What's left effectively is care work - which Australia desperately needs but refugees aren't always trained enough to provide. But the employment statistics several years on for refugees is generally fairly strong - i think i read that 75% were employed after 4 years of living in the country?

I guess I just dislike this boat policy etc on the grounds that I reject the notion that there is a 'queue' to enter the country or that persecuted minorities should have to wait or be punished for a method of arrival onto Australian shores. If people dieing in boats is the real issue, then why not allow individuals to seek asylum at airports - thereby crushing the role of people smugglers, increasing business for Australian airlines and forcing whoever comes to have passports / identity documents for faster processing, and reducing the amount spent on defence and border patrol having to chase them. Money saved can go towards training initiatives for refugees, housing etc in order to assist them get work. Easy done without violating international law and making Australia look like the most backward xenophobic shithole on earth.

I also more broadly believe in the right of human beings to migrate...as they have done for thousands of years to places that are more habitable.

If labour was cheaper, like I suggest, it would certainly help the manufacturing industry. At the end of the day, there are people willing to work for less than the current minimum wage, and employers willing to hire, but they can't because of the law. I don't know how much refugees get, but unemployed Australians get like 500-600 a fortnight whereas the minimum wage is over 600 a week. So minimum wage is more than double the dole. What if minimum wage was 500 for example, it would create jobs and these people would still be getting a lot more than the dole.

I agree with your last point about migration, I'm actually in favour of increased migration to Australia, we need a larger population and this is a country with a rich migrant and multicultural history, but there are plenty of skilled people waiting for the chance to migrate here, people who would boost our economy rather than leech off of it.

I can see why Rudd opted to take such a drastic approach to this issue, however unfortunately it is not necessarily aimed at 'doing the right thing,' but rather gaining votes. At the very least it will quash the arguments of the Coalition for the time-being as well as Abbott's cheap slogans.

Manufacturing is all but dead in Australia. The car industry has been on life-support for years now, and the last of them are starting to really feel the pinch. Subsidising these kind of industries isn't viable in the long-term. Fact is, production and labour costs are far cheaper overseas. Quality will often suffer as a result, but that's just the nature of globalisation. Australia needs to focus on providing high quality services, enhancing R&D, etc.

In regards to the status of potential migrants, refugees will often find work in low-skilled/low salary areas of employment. They may be a burden to Australian tax payers, but they're here to escape the horrible conditions in their country of origin, not to further line their pockets with money. Encouraging skilled migrants to come to Australia is all well and good, but I think we've hit a point where we seriously need to start thinking about the locals as a priority. There are plenty of local skilled workers in Australia that are passed up at the expense of skilled migrants. We should be encouraging local kids to enter these sectors, and not simply filling the gap with rich migrants.

During my 3 finance exams this semester, I'd say around 70% of the students were internationals. Nothing against them, but it's a frightening prospect that very few Australian born citizens are engaging in these areas of study.

• 1 month later...

A capped boat buy-back scheme that will provide an incentive for owners of decrepit and dangerously unsafe boats to sell their boats to government officials rather than people smugglers.

Officially the dumbest policy in Australian history from the coalition there.

Edited by Che

A capped boat buy-back scheme that will provide an incentive for owners of decrepit and dangerously unsafe boats to sell their boats to government officials rather than people smugglers.

Officially the dumbest policy in Australian history from the coalition there. Really?

What about Rudd's compassionate stance on refugees for an ALP Man?

Making refugees live in a country where Homosexuality is illegal and a motion is currently going through Parliament to also make all Non Christian religions illegal as well.

Officially the dumbest policy in Australian history from the coalition there. Really?

Making refugees live in a country where Homosexuality is illegal and a motion is currently going through Parliament to also make all Non Christian religions illegal as well.

dumbest policy in *economic terms then. Plus that's not neccasarily dumb, just unethical and immoral.

Edited by Che

Officially the dumbest policy in Australian history from the coalition there.Really?

dumbest policy in *economic terms then. Plus that's not neccasarily dumb, just unethical and immoral. I guess your right

Still I cant think of much worse than selling your parties soul to loss an election.

Anyone else think the NBN situation is fucked? TBH government probably should have never built it but the coalition plan to change it to fttn when there will be a lot if people already on ftth by the time the change comes into affect just doesn't make sense. Not to mention government building a fttn network is retarded as the private sector was already rolling out a network at least as good as that.

They should just continue with the nbn as it's planned. Too late at this stage to be changing it.

To be honest, Nauru also had this policy up until a few years ago too, in fact it might still be in some circumstances. 

Not its too late. There's only like 30k connected.

Not really sure of the number but that doesn't sound correct to me at all since there are whole suburbs connected. Anyway all signed contracts will still be completed apparently and the coalition estimate over 20% will be on ftth. Doesn't sound like a big deal but in the future I can see it having a significant affect on house prices etc.

A lot of people speculating that anyone scheduled to be connected within a year will still be connected which covers me so not too bothered from a personal perspective but still really not a good result.

The Government will still need to negotiate a new deal with Telstra if they require the use of their copper....it isn't going to be easy just to start chopping and changing it once they come into power. Thankfully my current pad is getting it installed by the end of this year and my new pad will be connected to Opticomm fibre.

Edited by hedaik1

Lol refugee resettlement numbers have been steady for 20+ years and boats coming in hasn't been much different. It's all media scare statics. The boat problem is no more a problem now than it was 10 years ago. In fact during the 80s for a few years after the Vietnam war over 20,000 asylum seekers were resettled per year.