Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

I guess it shows how desperate the situation is if he does go ahead with the tax, given he seems quite determined to not break election promises and he is a strong conservative who I'm sure believes in less tax.

Yeah you could see his heart break when he broke his promises on school funding and ABC. 

Pretty hard to feel sorry for the situation hes in when he was so negatively opposed to any new tax Labor tried to bring in, and also axing the Clean Energy Finance Corp which was making a profit. 

The carbon tax was never going to make the country any money tho. It was purely a feel good tax to make us feel like we were doing our bit. The reality is more likely that Australians can do nothing for the environment on the grand scale, so if China or the US aren't participating we are wasting our time.

Wasn't the stat something like all the energy Australia uses in a year is used in one day in China?

• Like 1

The Clean Energy Finance Corp is something completely different to the carbon tax. It was setup to provide investment for green technology and was delivering returns of about 8% to the Government. Its successful enough that it will probably survive without the Governments help. 

And on the carbon tax, Australia has one of the highest carbon footprints in the world and been pumping shit out a hell of a lot longer than other developing countries so I'd argue that we have a global responsibility to lower emissions and lead by example (even though we wont be leading as even China has brought in a carbon tading scheme). I can't see how encouraging (forcing) companies to adopt greener measures for their energy rather than pumping shit out in the air can be considered a bad thing. Better that than taxing companies to pay mothers 100k a year to stay at home and watch the wiggles for 12 months. 

I guess it shows how desperate the situation is if he does go ahead with the tax, given he seems quite determined to not break election promises and he is a strong conservative who I'm sure believes in less tax.

Yeah you could see his heart break when he broke his promises on school funding and ABC. 

Pretty hard to feel sorry for the situation hes in when he was so negatively opposed to any new tax Labor tried to bring in, and also axing the Clean Energy Finance Corp which was making a profit. 

Yes, because the ABC needs more funding so Narcissitic Green Voting Nobodies can feel like Somebodies and a part of the Australian Political Process by tweeting in gossip and bullshit to #qanda.

Edited by cadete

The Clean Energy Finance Corp is something completely different to the carbon tax. It was setup to provide investment for green technology and was delivering returns of about 8% to the Government. Its successful enough that it will probably survive without the Governments help.

I don't think an 8% return is good enough for an investment like this fwiw, and I doubt it would survive without government assistance.

I don't think an 8% return is good enough for an investment like this fwiw, and I doubt it would survive without government assistance.

Even if it was going to help achieve a big chunk of the kyoto agreement?

I like the ABC. Much better than what 7, 9 and especially 10 have to offer.

That is not a good comparison as all those channels are not solely funded by the Government.

The thing is I watch the ABC as much as the average Australian but if wishes to receive more funding then it needs to stop targeting the majority of its programming to its current Niche Audience.

Edited by cadete

That is not a good comparison as all those channels are not solely funded by the Government.

The thing is I watch the ABC as much as the average Australian but if wishes to receive more funding then it needs to stop targeting the majority of its programming to its current Niche Audience.

I disagree, I've seen an array of varying opinions and reporting from both the left, right and somewhere in between for years now, some just seem to garner more publicity than others.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

I disagree, I've seen an array of varying opinions and reporting from both the left, right and somewhere in between for years now, some just seem to garner more publicity than others.

The good old Rose Tinted Glasses of the Aunty Fan. :droy:

If you're looking at it from that point of view, than yes it is good.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/03/12/audits-clear-abc-of-bias-but-dont-expect-critics-to-listen/

I never understood why Leftists hold up the Kyoto Agreement as one of their Sacred Texts when it was written by the same organisation who created their Living Hell in that of: The State of Israel.

And @hediak obviously The ABC can pass such a Audit and still be fucken biased... and FWIW when compared to a site full of hacks like Crikey even The Age looks unbiased.

Edited by cadete

I'm impartial so there's really no need to assume I have an agenda :hmm:  

I never understood why Leftists hold up the Kyoto Agreement as one of their Sacred Texts when it was written by the same organisation who created their Living Hell in that of: The State of Israel.

And @hediak obviously The ABC can pass such a Audit and still be fucken biased... and FWIW when compared to a site full of hacks like Crikey even The Age looks unbiased.

Sort it out, BZA, your proof reading skills are shocking today!

Surprised someone managed to post an article from crikey without cad picking up on it, after all we (I) know how much he loves their journos  :lol:

I already disliked Crikey from its beginings and this dislike grew when its founder spoke to a class of mine back at college.

But yeah a certain bloke we know's article's did not help.

FWIW I have calmed down about that I think his an alright guy and credit to him for finding his way to The Age recently.

Good to see the Commissar of Passive Agression as still got it. :up:

• Like 1

Only today?

Lol at SA on Q&A tonight. Fair enough, get your point out there, but their tactics are so destructive to the 'cause' they purport to support. My views are probably centre-left and I'm definitely against all these education cuts, increased fees and so on, but these groups just make all of us on the left look like idiots. Please stop trying to represent all of us with your fanatic actions. To save a post; TTIM: SA.

• Like 2

Lol at SA on Q&A tonight. Fair enough, get your point out there, but their tactics are so destructive to the 'cause' they purport to support. My views are probably centre-left and I'm definitely against all these education cuts, increased fees and so on, but these groups just make all of us on the left look like idiots. Please stop trying to represent all of us with your fanatic actions. To save a post; TTIM: SA.

Ever since the first Leftist finnished reading Marx, the Left have claimed to represent those they do not... workers, students, earth, koalas.

The funny thing is they did it right before Pyne could answer a question obviously directed at him in order to get their 2 mins of fame.

Its called Narcissism...

And FWIW I dont agree with how the Abbott Government intends to fund Universities... Coalition Governments need to realise its not the 1970's anymore when they went to Uni and not everyone just goes to the Sandstones. 

Edited by cadete

Strong budget. I guess that settles the state election.

Some pretty big announcements. Don't like the realignment for the new underground line though. I don't really go for the argument that Parkville needs a trainstation, as that area already is serviced by about 4 tram routes but Southern Cross station is a long way from the centre of the city and means a lot of people are going to have to change trains to get to the other side of the city. The fact that a lot of train routes are now going to almost have dedicated tracks through the loop is going to do wonders for all the other lines as far as frequency and reliability goes. 

I'd imagine if the states finances are in such good state that Labor will improve on their public transport promises? Theyll get blown out of the water otherwise. 

Edited by hedaik

Strong budget. I guess that settles the state election.

Some pretty big announcements. Don't like the realignment for the new underground line though. I don't really go for the argument that Parkville needs a trainstation, as that area already is serviced by about 4 tram routes but Southern Cross station is a long way from the centre of the city and means a lot of people are going to have to change trains to get to the other side of the city. The fact that a lot of train routes are now going to almost have dedicated tracks through the loop is going to do wonders for all the other lines as far as frequency and reliability goes. 

I'd imagine if the states finances are in such good state that Labor will improve on their public transport promises? Theyll get blown out of the water otherwise.

Yeah I wasn't too impressed initially with the route change, but I guess something that is (theoretically) going ahead is better than something that is just talk.

I think Parkville is a good location for a train station, what other place in Melbourne has that many people travelling to it on a daily basis that doesn't have a train station. Don't forget there is also the Cancer centre or w/e it is called being built there now as well. Though you're right in that it's not really that bad without a train station, as it does have probably the best non-train PT coverage of anywhere in Melbourne as well, with the trams you mention and the 401 bus is great TBH and apparently they are making it even more frequent (more frequent than the current 2 mins at peak time? Non stop buses at peak time?). Side note, don't know why buses are so underutilised in our PT system.

As for Southern Cross not being central enough, what I'd consider to be 'central' is moving more towards Southern Cross, with Port Melbourne, Docklands, South Melbourne constantly becoming more popular business locations and with Fishermans bend coming into play soon as well.

TBH, the more I think about it, the more it seems like a solid plan. I don't see any issue with people having to change trains, most the lines still go through the loop, those that don't have access to a city loop service at a fairly early stage, either at North Melbourne or South Yarra (with Glen Waverley the exception, they have access even earlier), and they also have direct access to the two major train stations in Southern Cross and Flinders street (again, Glen Waverley the exception with only going direct to Flinders St). Currently changing trains for (quicker) access to the City Loop or Southern Cross or w/e is pretty common anyway, so it's no different. Every train going through the loop couldn't continue any more anyway, so even if there is more changing trains, it's really unavoidable.

I'd also argue the new plan makes cross-city train travel easier and quicker.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

SA piss me off, and I say that as somebody who is fairly leftist, mainly because they claim to represent the left but at the same time openly criticize others in the left who do not share their views.

A bit each way tbh. The beauty of not having to pay for basic medical in Australia is well documented and is a great thing for society but I also understand that there is an opportunity to make a lot of money for something that would have little impact to family budgets (and maybe get rid of a few hypochondriacs whilst we are at it!) in a time where the country's books aren't so great.

Would prob steer clear of Medicare and focus on other cuts if it was me. Australians need to stop thinking they're entitled to everything and suck it up for a few years.

• Like 2

Thoughts on the imposed medicare levy for bulk billing? I believe it's around $7 per visit (I stand to be corrected)

Free universal health care provides a great benefit to our society but it also comes at a great cost, both financial and otherwise. A small fee like this will significantly decrease the financial cost of providing health care to everyone, not just from the $6 saving on each GP , but the greater saving on BS trips to the doctor that people make which they'll think twice about now.

I'm not a fan of free things, it leads to abuse of the free product/service and a lack of respect. So all in all, I think it's a decent idea.

The downside is, they'll be people with legitimate medical concerns that won't go to the GP, even when it's just $6. I also don't understand why $6 was chosen, why not just make it $5, a much nicer number.

• Like 1

I have always been a big supporter of Medicare and I was not delighted when I heard this news but the reality is that system needs to adapt to both our population's size and importantly its age in order to be able to service the whole community as best as possible.

Yeh but I mean all these "concession card holders" are getting free trips into hosptial and using resources for genuinely sick patients. The system is stretched as it is. Ambulance wait times at the moment are a joke.

I'd imagine if somebody was receiving free ambulance as part of their health benefits, then they'll also receive free doctor visits.