Melbourne Football

The Great Outdoors (Camping/Hunting/Fishing) Thread.

Deviant

• 6 months later...

Anybody doing anything over easter?

We're off to the Alpine National Park for 5 days, with a home made keg of Redback ready to go  :fb:

Enjoy Hedaik,

Got 2 camps coming up,

Alpine Nation Park and doing the cross cut saw in early May,

then a few days hiking down the prom.

Hedaik, let us know how the ANP is when your up there mate!

Each to their own when it comes to hunting. But standards must remain: Safety and comfort

Both of which are governed by time.

- Take the time to set up camp.

- Take the time to set yourself  up before you head out.

- Take the time to assess your surroundings.

- Take the time to stalk your prey, safely.

- Take the time to prepare your prey for the journey back to camp.

If you do this, you will not be stressed nor will be rushed and you'll be comfortable and not complacent.

Complacency kills.

• Like 1

I think he might actually have an issue with the crows, but scarecrows, and other deterrents werent working. This bloke is borderline hillbilly.

Sounds like pretty messy shit - Killing crows with arrows in your backyard.

He is thoughtful to the neighbours. He is being quiet hahahah  :up:  :ph34r:

Just read back through his facebook account, he does FIFO work with a mining company and basically manages the campsite buildings. The crows make a mess of the bins so he tried to trap one, but the crow did the old Indiana Jones switcheroo with a rock and snatched the bait without getting caught in the trap. His next logical step was to purchase a weapon, take it to work and hunt them down. Should have an update soon as to how that worked out.

Just read back through his facebook account, he does FIFO work with a mining company and basically manages the campsite buildings. The crows make a mess of the bins so he tried to trap one, but the crow did the old Indiana Jones switcheroo with a rock and snatched the bait without getting caught in the trap. His next logical step was to purchase a weapon, take it to work and hunt them down. Should have an update soon as to how that worked out.

He could still pick a weapon that would make a lot less of a mess.

I'm myself hoping to purchase a longbow soon. Although i've been saying this for a month now....

That's amazing!

My two biggest interests atm Bow and Arrow and bike riding combined!

Neatly pack your prey in this:

Summi_Flatt.jpg team-elk-pack-bow.jpg

And you're set.

That's pretty cool camo combo.

Would love to go on a hunting trip with my newly purchased longbow.

Been saying i'd get one for a month now.....

Alpine NP was awesome, easily my favourite camping area and national park in Victoria. 

Did the Mt Howitt walk from the carpark, fairly straight forward hike but was pretty bloody cold and windy once youre exposed near the peak. You'd want to make sure you're well prepared if you're doing the crosscut saw in winter as I wouldn't want to get stuck overnight in wet clothing. The overnight huts looked pretty good though, with the best toilet in Australia near Mt Howitt where you can overlook the whole valley from the throne. Forgot to bring up my Yarraside stickers for you  :(

Also did Wellington River track with the intention of getting to lake tali khan but couldn't make it and turned back 5km short. Theres something like 16 river crossing where you need to take your boots and socks off each time so that slowed us down a bit. Ended up doing 24km in 6.5 hours or something so really needed to allow another 3 hours to get to the lake. Saw my first wild deer, scared the shit out of me at first as I thought it was a giant dog. 

Edited by hedaik

• 2 weeks later...

Alpine NP was awesome, easily my favourite camping area and national park in Victoria.

Did the Mt Howitt walk from the carpark, fairly straight forward hike but was pretty bloody cold and windy once youre exposed near the peak. You'd want to make sure you're well prepared if you're doing the crosscut saw in winter as I wouldn't want to get stuck overnight in wet clothing. The overnight huts looked pretty good though, with the best toilet in Australia near Mt Howitt where you can overlook the whole valley from the throne. Forgot to bring up my Yarraside stickers for you :(

Also did Wellington River track with the intention of getting to lake tali khan but couldn't make it and turned back 5km short. Theres something like 16 river crossing where you need to take your boots and socks off each time so that slowed us down a bit. Ended up doing 24km in 6.5 hours or something so really needed to allow another 3 hours to get to the lake. Saw my first wild deer, scared the shit out of me at first as I thought it was a giant dog.

Let me know when you ho hiking next.

I got back earlier this week from a week in Tas.

Did 4days of bushwalking @ Lake St.Clair-Cradle Mountain National Park. 2 day-walks from lodge we were staying at and an overnighter on the track as well. The overland track is stunning. Some of the most bio-diverse mirco-climates in the world. Walk for a bit through rainforest out on to sub-alpine then temperate then eucalypt forest. The alpine sections were amazing too. Lots of snow!

I did the Lake St.Clair side of the park and would highly recommend it. Its got easy 2-3 walks all the way up to 7day full pack hikes to cradle mountain. 

Tassie is VERY underrated IMO and the scenery there is easily the most dramatic in Australia IMO. 

Highly recommend! :up:

• Like 4