Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

Just do what Essendon did, Surround him with experiance!

Of course this can be helpful and the club should be looking at doing this...

But when it gets down to it, Players like any group of workers need to know that their Coach like any Leader/Boss answers to nobody and can make the tough calls ASAP when they are needed.

Early in the season I was calling gor JA's head just us much as anyone but to be fair to him I think he's shown improvement over the course of the season and the last few weeks especially, baring some questionable subs. I think there is a lot of potential there and would be a shame to see his coaching career cut short. Give him the rest of this season and stick someone experienced in Foxe's roll next season and I think he'll turn out alright.

But when it gets down to it, Players like any group of workers need to know that their Coach like any Leader/Boss answers to nobody and can make the tough calls ASAP when they are needed.

I would still be letting him make the tough decisions, But you need someone there on game day that when things turn to shit he can turn to for advice. Much like the James Hird - Thompson combo (We all know Bomber still does alot game day).....Same plan can work in this instance. He needs to surround himself with success and proven successful coaches and that will rub off on him...You would hope.

I tend to be a patient guy, I mean, for example, as an Eagles supporter I was completely supportive of Worsfold when we came dead last and most fans wanted his head (Granted he got us a premiership, but that is not the point). We were playing badly, tactically, our players had a bad mentality (sounds familiar doesn't it), anyway, the next season we shoot up from last to fourth, basically the same list and whatnot, but that is not my point. My point is that people are so quick to dismiss a coach, I guarantee you all that if we were to win the premiership next year we would all be lauding Aloisi as the second coming. As sports fans we are so quick to react to bad performances, we are impatient, but I know it is because we love the club and want success.

There is a difference between sticking with a coach that's won you the title previously, with stickign with a coach that has f-all experience, looks out of their depth and coaching in a much bigger league..I think fair bit of patience has been shown with Aloisi, and by all means give him till the end of the season, but it's been said before, if he was assistant it would be much more ideal, he still has learning to do.

He's not out of his depth tactically. He has a quite sophisticated strategy that the team is unable to execute it for 95 minutes. The question for him as a coach is 'why?' Partly, it's the individuals and the form of key members of the squad, however if that were all the problem is, we would be playing poorly for 90 minutes every game (like MV did last season with an unbalanced squad that played like a broken team). The problem is more about the psychology of the group, that is still a coaching issue to resolve, however it may take some time. It is crucial that we are reassured that he understands the problem and has a clear plan to manage it. This will hopefully be revealed at the fan forum. I might also add that it isn't just his responsibility to solve, it's also shared by JD and the players themselves.

• Like 1

I would still be letting him make the tough decisions, But you need someone there on game day that when things turn to shit he can turn to for advice. Much like the James Hird - Thompson combo (We all know Bomber still does alot game day).....Same plan can work in this instance. He needs to surround himself with success and proven successful coaches and that will rub off on him...You would hope.

When it comes to Assistant Coaches in AFL and Assistant Coaches in Soccer they roles are really worlds apart. AFL has seven more players on the field, a revolving door on his bench, a longer game time and three periods for a coach/coaches to talk directly to their players rather than one.

These are the reasons why Assistant Coaches are more important AFL, Conversely when you compare AFL to NFL you can see why Assistant Coaches are even more important to that game...

In a Soccer game a Coach has a much more limited amount of decisons to be made on Game Day, and TBH lets face it when you think of the best Soccer Coaches going around can anybody truly picture them even in their first seasons taking much advice when it came to Game Day decisons???

He's not out of his depth tactically. He has a quite sophisticated strategy that the team is unable to execute it for 95 minutes. The question for him as a coach is 'why?' Partly, it's the individuals and the form of key members of the squad, however if that were all the problem is, we would be playing poorly for 90 minutes every game (like MV did last season with an unbalanced squad that played like a broken team). The problem is more about the psychology of the group, that is still a coaching issue to resolve, however it may take some time. It is crucial that we are reassured that he understands the problem and has a clear plan to manage it. This will hopefully be revealed at the fan forum. I might also add that it isn't just his responsibility to solve, it's also shared by JD and the players themselves.

10/10. You've completely nailed it.

Besides from the odd fuck up expected from a first year coach he's not that bad. The problem is the mind set of essentially the whole club, which is not entirely JA's responsibility to address. More than a few blokes around the place need to take a good look at themselves.

• Like 1

When it comes to Assistant Coaches in AFL and Assistant Coaches in Soccer they roles are really worlds apart. AFL has seven more players on the field, a revolving door on his bench, a longer game time and three periods for a coach/coaches to talk directly to their players rather than one.

These are the reasons why Assistant Coaches are more important AFL, Conversely when you compare AFL to NFL you can see why Assistant Coaches are even more important to that game...

In a Soccer game a Coach has a much more limited amount of decisons to be made on Game Day, and TBH lets face it when you think of the best Soccer Coaches going around can anybody truly picture them even in their first seasons taking much advice when it came to Game Day decisons???

yeah good point.

I think he has a long way to go JA but also think he can make it, I just think he needs some help from time to time on game day. But all i ask is give him this season. Let him finish off the year.

1. Players who have not routinely performed to their potential, for whatever reason (including injuries) and who are coming out of contract at the end of 2012-13 should be released.

2. The better NYL players that we have, such as J. Walker, should be offered decent senior contracts.

3. We should make every endeavour to re-sign Garcia and Tadic.

4. We need to broaden our horizons as far as visa players are concerned, and rethink our 'marquee non-policy.'

5. We must appoint the right players as captain, vice-captain and a deputy vice-captain to provide dynamic on-field leadership.

Edited by jw1739

1. Players who have not routinely performed to their potential, for whatever reason (including injuries) and who are coming out of contract at the end of 2012-13 should be released.

2. The better NYL players that we have, such as J. Walker, should be offered decent senior contracts.

4. We need to broaden our horizons as far as visa players are concerned, and rethink our 'marquee non-policy.'

5. We must appoint the right players as captain, vice-captain and a deputy vice-captain to provide dynamic on-field leadership.

Need to keep Gerhardt longer too. Beast in defence.

I think your point 5 is more of an issue, we need a captain who can provide on-field leadership for 95 minutes every week with some degree of certainty, I think that Garcia would be a much better choice for captain that Fred is ATM.

• Like 1

1. Remains to be seen, but you would imagine the likes of Hoffman are not being offered new contracts.

2. We seem to be happy to try them, and we will probabl offer at least Walker and Mitchinson contracts.

3. I'm sure we are trying. They are the two players featuring in the advertising campaign for this week which would suggest the club does rate them.

4. Fair enough, no more Gray's, but the rest of our visa's seem to be astute signings. I'm not bothered about the need for a marquee, but another player like Gerhardt or Tadic, someone who isn't just a backup player is what I want.

5. I'm not sure there was a choice to uncaptain Fred tbh. Wasn't he captain of the A-League team of the year last season? But certainly I hope Garcia stays on and takes this position of Gerhardt as his deputy.

I don't disagree with any of your points, I want them all to happen. But I think Aloisi hasn't failed any of those measures either.

"Spot on, Every week this happens, We hit the lead then park the bus and LET the other team have enough chances to score (and win on many occasions) Would love to know what the instructions are at half time. Why is it for the first 45 we look good and give us hope then next 45mins have 1 shot on goal. Is it fitness? Is it coaching? Id like to think athletes could run out a 90 min game (max). Frustrating times."

My comment:

Not happy. Not happy at all. In my opinion:

1. Some players are failing to follow instructions and get away with it week after week. Bet you at Victory there would be consequences - like being dropped - or having their contract not renewed.

2. Some players are simply not fit enough to play out the 90 minutes so it's easier to just sit back. Less running needed.

3. There is a lack of on field leadership and mental toughness running through the team.

"Spot on, Every week this happens, We hit the lead then park the bus and LET the other team have enough chances to score (and win on many occasions) Would love to know what the instructions are at half time. Why is it for the first 45 we look good and give us hope then next 45mins have 1 shot on goal. Is it fitness? Is it coaching? Id like to think athletes could run out a 90 min game (max). Frustrating times."

My comment:

1. Some players are failing to follow instructions and get away with it week after week. Bet you at Victory there would be consequences - like being dropped - or having their contract not renewed.

2. Some players are simply not fit enough to play out the 90 minutes so it's easier to just sit back. Less running needed.

3. There is a lack of on field leadership and mental toughness running through the team.

would you say the team is "not so happy together"? ;)

My comment:

People might recall Jesper Olsen venting his frustrations round about two years ago, saying something like 'The players don't seem to understand what they're supposed to do.' So not a lot has changed.

It does appear that other clubs and coaches would simply not tolerate what we appear to. Someone like AP comes into a club, reviews his squad, identifies those players who can't or won't play the way he wants and does what ever he has to do to move them on.

I'm not so upset with the fact we lose - after all, someone comes bottom of every league every season. What I'm upset about is that we seem cough up goals and points the same way every time - nothing seems to change, no-one seems to take action, the same mistakes are made.

• Like 1

Only problem is Vranks is a shorter CB like Colosimo and u would prob prefer a pairing with someone a bit taller...

Still its a waste having one of Australia's best emerging young CB's playing at John Cain.

If this is actually the case than Colosimo needs to be released and Vranks played next to Gerhardt.

Fuck culina. Either a Victorian or an overseas coach.

Culina is a Victorian.

Aloisi should remain until the end of the season and then do a review at the end of the season.

Aloisi has the potential to be a great coach. People maybe won't give him credit but he has shown some good things this season. A young coach needs the right people around him. Not sure whether he has that.

A young coach needs the right people around him.

If a young coach is not given an apprenticeship and then not given experienced support, his only way forward is to learn on the job. That basically means learning from his mistakes.

Thats where we are right now, an inexperienced coach making mistakes - hopefully he is learning too, if so he might be a decent coach by next year, or even by the end of the season if he's a fast learner.

Ok so instead of saying the club has no direction etc, how about some expressions from you lot as to where you feel it needs to be headed?

It's the supporters who should be leading the way here! WE are who everything is for, so WE should be pointing the club in the right direction.

• Like 1

Ok so instead of saying the club has no direction etc, how about some expressions from you lot as to where you feel it needs to be headed?

It's the supporters who should be leading the way here! WE are who everything is for, so WE should be pointing the club in the right direction.

How about Scott Munn tell us at the fan forum that the club aims to win either the champions plate or the dunny seat in 2 years. Now there is something to aim for. Then our recruiting of coaches and players and development of youth will have a purpose and direction. We might even attarct more members as people see we have a vision. At the moment it's more a matter of "we didn't get into the finals ... oh well, c'est la vie"