Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

IMO what is even worse than JA feeling that he was unlucky and hard done by is that Michael Lynch has the very poor judgement to write an article about it and Lynch's editor publishes it. It's not going to do JA any good going forward.

I hold no animosity towards John. As it turned out he wasn't ready for the job he took on, but probably the results he achieved were far worse than anyone imagined they could be. Someone's always bottom of the league, but I don't think any one of us imagined that we would be so far adrift at the bottom of the table as we were (and still are).

For his own sake I hope John can get back into football if that's what he wants. But I don't think it would be the right thing for him to have any involvement at all with Heart in the future.

Case closed as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

I'm over this. My final piece on JA.

First he was a fine player and although he did not reach the heights of some of his contemporaries he had a good CV. His elevation to the coaching ranks proved to be his downfall.

And no I don't think he can coach. The article by Lucy Zelic is crap: his reign was not 12 weeks it was one season plus one pre-season plus 12 weeks. This team was his team. Yes the team suffered injuries but so has every other club. The fact that the defence did not work nor did the attack implied that the mid-field was not working either. Least amount of goals scored and largest tally against. His formation did not change but the style of play did - kick the ball long to the smallest player in the team. Once it is unfortunate but multiple times is unforgivable. And therein lies the reason why JA cannot coach - he has no imagination to change the play during the game. To the credit of the A-League we are now getting to the stage that fans are expecting every coach to be able to change the game plan during the match. This means that they need to analyse the game and develop alternatives as the match is underway. This is entirely the purview of the coach and his assistants. JA was simply unable to do this.

One of the attractions of football for me is that it is a game of chess with real people and a ball. JA cannot play chess.

Finally, JA took himself to Italy after last season to learn more about coaching (I think it was Juve) so the question what did he learn there? Another learning tour JA? How about you watch what JvS has done with the team and play some chess?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The players have definitely felt that way for a long time

I'll harp back to my fortunate meeting the team at the airport  after the Sydney match ( away) ,(the day Harry missed that penalty)

when I chatted to some of the players about the difference in play between the first half ( probably the worst 45mins I can recall in our history) and the second half, where we played some half decent football, ( shit even Misfud scored that day)

You could see that the players were itching to express their true feelings, but held back from critising JA and the tactics

PG wasn't one who was forward in this( quiet in the background)  but others were

And thats why I put him down as one of my top 3 foreign players in the survey!  

In that survey did they have to play with Heart ?  :unsure:

No, not according to the wording of the question. If the survey wanted "your three favourite visa players who play or have played for Heart" then it should have asked that question. As it was, you were asked for "your three favourite international players." Which is hopelessly ambiguous. I doubt that anything can be made of the answers.

On Gerhardt's comments - I doubt that he will be worried about the possibility of any backlash. When he joined Heart he said he was on some sort of "football adventure" so he may have already decided to move on. And  if he wants to stay the worst he has done is be indiscreet. He hasn't brought the club into disrepute or anything like that.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I notice Patty G's comments haven't made it onto "the world game" or Foxsports. That does show a good deal football nepotism.

As much as I agree with you and Patty G and believe SBS to be a 'boys' club. I also don't see the point in flinging shit at Aloisi. Does he deserve it? Sure. I just feel we can be the bigger person so to speak and leave it at his gone and we are carrying on with mending the damaged culture and brand of the football. We are now playing good football and I couldn't care less what Fred, Aloisi or Les Murray think about that.

I notice Patty G's comments haven't made it onto "the world game" or Foxsports. That does show a good deal football nepotism.

As much as I agree with you and Patty G and believe SBS to be a 'boys' club. I also don't see the point in flinging shit at Aloisi. Does he deserve it? Sure. I just feel we can be the bigger person so to speak and leave it at his gone and we are carrying on with mending the damaged culture and brand of the football. We are now playing good football and I couldn't care less what Fred, Aloisi or Les Murray think about that.

I am not flinging shit at JA. I don't blame him for his appointment, I am disappointed in him for the way he went about his job but that is not the issue. I hope he learns and comes back a better coach.

What I am concerned about is the lack of appreciation from the footballing media and to a lesser extent the footballing public for the lesson that needs to be learned about putting a manager in charge of a team who is totally unprepared for the job. It seems like Sydney FC might be about to make exactly the same mistake with ADP. 

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 1

I am not flinging shit at JA. I don't blame him for his appointment, I am disappointed in him for the way he went about his job but that is not the issue. I hope he learns and comes back a better coach.

What I am concerned about is the lack of appreciation from the footballing media and to a lesser extent the footballing public for the lesson that needs to be learned about putting a manager in charge of a team who is totally unprepared for the job. It seems like Sydney FC might be about to make exactly the same mistake with ADP. 

and I for one have my fingers crossed that this is exactly what happens!

Sorry Rellum I wasn't so much accusing you of flinging shit, more so the players. I don't get why people want them to say bad, negative quite frankly true things about JA as it achieves nothing. Like I said it's all about recognising the mistake at a board level (no longer a problem) and moving forward.

Sorry Rellum I wasn't so much accusing you of flinging shit, more so the players. I don't get why people want them to say bad, negative quite frankly true things about JA as it achieves nothing. Like I said it's all about recognising the mistake at a board level (no longer a problem) and moving forward.

This might not be how others feel, but when reading article after article about how 'unlucky' Aloisi was, and how he was supposedly hard done by, it comes across to me as if the club is being portrayed as being in the wrong, and is the metaphorical 'bad guy'. 

We all know he was shit, and I'm not expecting any of his media mates to come out and say he was a terrible manager, but it's refreshing to actually be correctly represented in the media for once.

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 1

All good. 

Fred just posted the article on his timeline and posted "Well say!!!"

Once again he's just being a bitter flog and sinking the boot in.

fucking loved that article of Gerhardt - me and another heart fan had a quick chat to him about exactly this after one of our more demoralising losses.

What words did he use to describe it to you guys?

• 2 weeks later...