Melbourne Football

Matchday 21: v Brisbane - Sunday 1st March 6.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

Seems obvious but we need to win this. We’ve lost one and drawn one against Brisbane. I wouldn’t call them a bogey team but even when they were out of sorts we couldn’t beat them. Now they’re in-form and we are coming off a bye. 

Not sure if there are many changes here. Delbridge is available and Mombaerts likes him. He’s the most likely. A change in midfield is the other option, could be Metcalfe or Genreau. 

25 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Seems obvious but we need to win this. We’ve lost one and drawn one against Brisbane. I wouldn’t call them a bogey team but even when they were out of sorts we couldn’t beat them. Now they’re in-form and we are coming off a bye. 

Not sure if there are many changes here. Delbridge is available and Mombaerts likes him. He’s the most likely. A change in midfield is the other option, could be Metcalfe or Genreau. 

Imo it's more that we struggle away against Brisbane than anything else. It happens nearly every time. At home I'm pretty certain we are much more successful against them. So it doesn't concern me right now that they are playing better or that we fumbled those other games in relation to this coming game. Home ground advantage will be the difference imo. 

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Imo it's more that we struggle away against Brisbane than anything else. It happens nearly every time. At home I'm pretty certain we are much more successful against them. So it doesn't concern me right now that they are playing better or that we fumbled those other games in relation to this coming game. Home ground advantage will be the difference imo. 

Brisbane are a funny team because they’ve got a few quality players and others that can change their entire approach like AAH. I don’t like watching their football but recently they’ve been a lot more effective, not so much in scoring but in shutting out opponents. Only conceded three in their last six, and we’re talking about strong opposition too.  

Just read now that 15 of their 20 goals have been scored after the hour mark. Their last six goals were all scored in the second half. Definitely something to watch out for considering our press tapers off and we leave more gaps.

Score first and transition to a more compact shape in the second half. 

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Brisbane are a funny team because they’ve got a few quality players and others that can change their entire approach like AAH. I don’t like watching their football but recently they’ve been a lot more effective, not so much in scoring but in shutting out opponents. Only conceded three in their last six, and we’re talking about strong opposition too.  

Just read now that 15 of their 20 goals have been scored after the hour mark. Their last six goals were all scored in the second half. Definitely something to watch out for considering our press tapers off and we leave more gaps.

Score first and transition to a more compact shape in the second half. 

That's interesting. It sounds as though they shut teams out of scoring. Could very well frustrate them where they make errors and Brisbane capitalise on this later in the game. 

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 34.Connor METCALFE, 36.Kerrin STOKES49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2-4 to be omitted**

Ins: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (returns from suspension), 36.Kerrin STOKES (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 5.Jack HENDRY (knee), 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

Edited by Harrison

I don't see Genreau playing much of a part for the remainder of the year. The club will not like being told by a player that they want to leave, especially if they want the player to stay. I hope he does but if Genreau has rejected a contract extension/resign then he will be a pariah. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Big opportunity tomorrow. Can we capitalise on the failures of others? Clear second is ours to take and suddenly our trip to [Insert Team Above Us] looks really interesting. Our history is that we don't take these opportunities. Can we change that? 

Copying and pasting should be banned

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This is not a game we bottle, we haven't lost to Brisbane at home since November 2010 which included the good Roar team under Ange, 10W 3D. 

Can see a 3:1 win.

The game we bottle is next week away to Perf.

All teams around us losing. A chance to close gap on Sydney and a clear second.

That's a long back right there

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

I smell another weird VAR situation in this one, possible red card for Delbo and the standard Wales row Z finish from 10 yards. 

1-1.

I.e. feels like one we should win so we probably wont?

I am feeling different. It feels like a game we will lose because we should have won it, and therefore we will win it because the opposite of what should happen generally happens.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Good to see all the people are enjoying there free tickets from Maccas again. Fuck why do we bother buying memberships 

To support the club.

Not sure why anyone would complain  about the Macca’s promo. We need fans, hopefully we win and the freebie supporter  enjoy it and sign up to a 3 games memebership. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

To support the club.

Not sure why anyone would complain  about the Macca’s promo. We need fans, hopefully we win and the freebie supporter  enjoy it and sign up to a 3 games memebership. 

Yeah spend a grand to just have freebies going. Soon the 3 game membership including a Jersey will come again to rub it in members faces. Typical CFG