Melbourne Football

The A-League Broadcasting and Media Thread

kingawesomeness

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to watch Australia vs Taiwan on the my football app, but they are showing 2 fat guys playing darts instead.

Sigh.

(in case anyone following at home, turning off and on the link led to a football game appearing)

Edited by Shahanga

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Wow. That's good.

That makes the deal more or less the same as the last Foxtel one. Given all the dramas since then and now, Both (F)FA and the A League will be stoked.

(Still pissed off I need to pay for something else though)

Edited by Shahanga

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Just worked out that the Paramount App will not be on any TV older than 5 years (at least Samsung)

This is really poor and limiting.  A 5 year old TV is not too old ... chromecast is a lessor option and does not stream anywhere near as well 

Did you get an email from the club? I haven't gotten anything yet..

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Just worked out that the Paramount App will not be on any TV older than 5 years (at least Samsung)

This is really poor and limiting.  A 5 year old TV is not too old ... chromecast is a lessor option and does not stream anywhere near as well 

Now you know what people of my vintage are confronted with almost every day of our lives.

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

If you have Internet browser on your TV you will likely be able to use the site on an older tv

On 11/08/2021 at 11:55 AM, Torn Asunder said:

My TV is heaps older than that.

Pretty much what I was expecting. 

It won't matter about your TV.

I've got 12 year old TVs.

I watch everything through set top box on one and through an IPAD on the other, Kayo, optus, Netflix, binge,stan and now I'm going to have get paramount +. 

I hope one day in the not too distant future when the world is a better place we finally resolve the issues in the Middle eaat, china becomes and open and transparent democracy we end the use of fossil fuels and reverse global warming and probably the biggest issue we have in 21st century that needs addressing. Having all soccer on 1 platform or channel. 

Imagine having all soccer in the one place, all the European leagues, Champions league, all the international tournaments, the A League and FFA cup and whatever second tier will be called, all the Socceroos Matildas Olyroos on the one network /platform it would completely change the game in this country. 

I have a dream...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a set-top box hooked up to my TV - which is probably about 8 years old - so that we can view certain overseas TV, but boy, the weak link seems to be the HDMI cable(s). I've lost count of the how many I've gone through, and they're not cheap. I always have to keep a spare just in case. I gave up moving the laptop to and from the TV for this reason.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 10:31 AM, jw1739 said:

I have a set-top box hooked up to my TV - which is probably about 8 years old - so that we can view certain overseas TV, but boy, the weak link seems to be the HDMI cable(s). I've lost count of the how many I've gone through, and they're not cheap. I always have to keep a spare just in case. I gave up moving the laptop to and from the TV for this reason.

Jw, for this very reason i have a Chromecast and connected to my computer through which i stream football ,your laptop would do the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thoughts on this deal so far? Initial reaction and impressions were optimistic, mainly from both a "they're actually interested" side and the fact that Simon Hill is involved. Half a season in though and I'm not very impressed. 

Hate how the only options are live or minimum 3 hours delayed. I do shift work and watch almost zero games live so to have to wait till midnight to watch a night game is very annoying, especially when I only just miss the start and could have watched it slightly delayed and fast forwarded the breaks to catch up on Kayo. Also dislike how the replay version is literally just the game. Watched the derby on replay and had nfi what happened in the last minute where we had that scramble in the box and Maclaren got sent off, and basically as soon as the whistle went the recording stopped and i had no extra info to go off. 

Also was really looking forward to watching this weeks FFA cup game, but literally no sign of it until they posted the 5 minute highlight package at midday yesterday (a cool 14-15 hours after the game finished). I waited till this morning hoping that the full game would be put up at some point, but finally decided enough was enough and watched the highlights this morning (sure not posting the replay saved me 120 minutes I would never get back but fuck me it's a pretty piss poor effort). 

I'm very old-fashioned and I'm not ashamed to admit that. But I think the focus now has to switch from broadcasting to getting fans back into stadiums. Football is a live spectator sport, and ultimately I believe people want to watch it as such, and those that do watch it via screens need people in the stadiums to make their viewing experience worth having.

I'm not saying abandon the screen effort, but I sense that at the moment there just isn't enough focus on getting the live atmosphere back into the game.